Spa Services

egamigal

My fiancee and I are thinking about taking advantage of the spa services on the ship, and we are trying to include this into or budget. Since our cruise is almost a year away we cannot see the rates for the spa services. Does anyone have an idea of what the rates are so we can decide if this is something we can afford?

:confused:

My fiancee and I are thinking about taking advantage of the spa services on the ship, and we are trying to include this into or budget. Since our cruise is almost a year away we cannot see the rates for the spa services. Does anyone have an idea of what the rates are so we can decide if this is something we can afford?

They cost a arm and a leg, I was going to prebook a massage for both of us but I think the cost is to high, so we will wait for the discounts that come when you are on board in some cases half price.

It doesn't matter how far away your cruise is, you can still get an idea of the prices by going into the Before you Board section on the RCI website. Once you're there choose pre-cruise planner and scroll down to the section about Sport and Spa. The last sentence contains a link that lets you browse the full menu of spa services. Once you're in there you can look at all the different treatments offered. There's a brief description of each that also shows the approximate length and the start price.

I agree with deltatango, though, that the prices are pretty steep. You can sometimes get good deals on board especially on port days if you don't mind foregoing a bit of time on shore.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

Fiona.

Just about every cruise line uses Steiner as the company that provides spa services. I would say that a 50-minute massage will run you about $130 and it's more for hot stone or other special massages. If you are going with your fiance, it's probably a special cruise and if this price is $50 per person more than you would pay at a discount spa near your home, it's a splurge that might be worth it. My wife always gets one and I get one every other cruise. Enjoy.

They have daily specials and that will be the best time to book a treatment. If you've never had a massage on a ship before be prepared to have them try to sell you all kinds of products to make your life better. I just tell the therapist in the beginning that I'm not interested in buying any products and that puts and end to it.

A friend that I travel with is very gullible. She came back from a massage with $500 worth of stuff that was supposed to get rid of her cellulite over the next 3 months. Needless to say after 3 months she still looked the same.

My wife and I typically go to the spa the first day to see what offers they have and will usually book something in the afternoon on a port day to get a better price - a hot stone massage is my favorite. After your first spa treatment they often offer a nice discount if you book another; I suspect they figure (correctly) that many budget for only one spa service, so offering a significant discount is their best shot at getting them back in there.

One tip to help avoid some of the sales pitches is to not list out all your aches, pains and allergies on the questionnaire they give you, as they will have products that will allegedly cure your ailment, albeit at a hefty price. I usually tell them (truthfully) that I still have plenty of product left from my last cruise. I've never had anyone that was all that pushy with the product anyway.

Always wait until mid cruise before booking a spa treatment. The spa works with the model of charging exorbitant prices and trying to induce as many as possible to overpay through claiming that they are nearly fully booked or through tiny discounts that make some think they are getting a deal. On every cruise i have been on by mid cruise they start offering deep discounts to fill the tons of open slots - generally $50 off, 50% off or two-for-one deals. Unless money is not a concern, my advice is to wait until mid cruise and then start looking for these deals.

We really don't want any "services" (massages, etc..) but want to access the thermal features - sauna, steam room, whirlpool type self service things. What is charge to use these and are any features available without charge? Are fees based on a daily rate or for the whole cruise? Our 15 night cruise coming up has nine sea days that would be perfect but we would not use spa on port days.

I kept the spa price list from our IOS cruise just a few weeks ago, I'll scan it for you so you can see the prices and choice and post it shortly.

here you go, apologies for it being cut off slightly at the right but you should still be able to make it out. Click the thumbnail for full size:

th_spaservices1.jpg

bear in mind that this is on Independence of the Seas so it's only a guideline, services on other ships may differ in price

We were recently on the Enchantment and the spa added a gratuity to my bill, is this something new they are doing? I don't remember that in the past, I have always tipped for the service but noticed this time they had also added a % for gratuity. Of course the attendant didn't mention this when I tipped her and I only saw it later when I was going over all the receipts.

We were recently on the Enchantment and the spa added a gratuity to my bill, is this something new they are doing? I don't remember that in the past, I have always tipped for the service but noticed this time they had also added a % for gratuity. Of course the attendant didn't mention this when I tipped her and I only saw it later when I was going over all the receipts.

I think this has always been hit or miss whether they automatically add gratuity or not.

Does anyone know what the couples massage and float combo is? What's a float?

Curiosity was killing me. Not a ton of info out there but it is bascally a tub of water and Epsom Salts in which you float (due to the high salt content). The reported benefits of which are quoted below:

Eliminating stress and its effect on your body makes you feel and look more attractive and energetic.* Tension plays a major part in affecting the appearance of your skin.* A* sense of well-being will make you radiate energy and maintain confidence.* In addition, floating in Epsom salt makes your skin softer, smoother, and draws toxins such as lactic acid.

Hmmmmmm ...... Anyone tried it?

Curiosity was killing me. Not a ton of info out there but it is bascally a tub of water and Epsom Salts in which you float (due to the high salt content). The reported benefits of which are quoted below:

Eliminating stress and its effect on your body makes you feel and look more attractive and energetic.* Tension plays a major part in affecting the appearance of your skin.* A* sense of well-being will make you radiate energy and maintain confidence.* In addition, floating in Epsom salt makes your skin softer, smoother, and draws toxins such as lactic acid.

Hmmmmmm ...... Anyone tried it?

Go to the beach, float around in the salt water and then rub sand on your skin for exfoliation. It's a free treatment.

By the way I have never had the gratuity added on to spa treatments. I wonder if it is different from ship to ship??

• 2 months later...
We really don't want any "services" (massages, etc..) but want to access the thermal features - sauna, steam room, whirlpool type self service things. What is charge to use these and are any features available without charge? Are fees based on a daily rate or for the whole cruise? Our 15 night cruise coming up has nine sea days that would be perfect but we would not use spa on port days.

I am also interested in an answer to this question.

can't comment on floatation tanks on ships but have used them on terre firma here and they are fabulous. Very relaxing and calming :) Costs £10 for an hour. I love it but guess its a personal preference - I love fish pedicures too and other people hate them. With choice I would try at home first as it is guaranteed to be cheaper based on other on board spa prices just in case you dont enjoy the experience

Does anyone know what the couples massage and float combo is? What's a float?

My husband and i did this one. While one person gets a massage, the other is laying in the float bed. and then you switch. i think the massage is 30 minutes and you lay in the float for 30. at first it just feels like you are laying on a table and then it fills up with warm water and you are all bundled up in sheets and you are completely weightless and it takes all the pressure off your muscles. On my last cruise on LOS they offered it for just a single and i did it again. This time i had a mini facial while i was in the float. BLISS!!!

Archived