specialty restaurants - doesn't anyone not make reservations?

binkysmom

I'm wondering if some people just "wing it" in regards to dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants. I don't know if people always get back to the ship on time (especially on a port intensive cruise), or if you don't feel like french or asian that night.

Are reservations for all the restaurants necessary or can you just walk in without too long of a wait?

We sometimes will wait until onboard then see if anytime is available that is suitable for us

We usually book for days when we are sailing early or a sea day

For the specialty restaurants I think unless you are in the top suites you need a reservation

If you have a reservation & decide you are not in the mood for Asian or whatever please call and cancel your time slot so other may enjoy

GDR & Terrace you just walk in

Ditto for what orchestrapal said. There have been cruises where we never dined at one of the specialty restaurants, period. We have always found the GDR to be of very high quality with a wider selection that changes each night.

That being said, I have already made reservations for our October cruise on Marina in Red Ginger, Jacques and La Reserve because I do want to try the new restaurants that have received such high praise.

But our normal practice is to wait until we board to consider making reservations, and sometimes we have gotten a table at the last minute. Not always!

Ditto for what orchestrapal said. There have been cruises where we never dined at one of the specialty restaurants, period. We have always found the GDR to be of very high quality with a wider selection that changes each night.

That being said, I have already made reservations for our October cruise on Marina in Red Ginger, Jacques and La Reserve because I do want to try the new restaurants that have received such high praise.

But our normal practice is to wait until we board to consider making reservations, and sometimes we have gotten a table at the last minute. Not always!

We always reserve the 4 nights we are entitled to, before we board. That being said,we like the idea of the printed menu for the GDR the night before.We then decide if we like whats on that menu.

If not I go to the specialty resturant at 6:30 that evening and ussally get a table for 2.They always have room at 7:30 or 8 that night.

It is an odd thing that the original concept for the Specialty Restaurants has evolved, over time, to the point where being able to make a reservation several months in advance is now seen as a perquisite.

One of the best things about taking a Suite is the ability to "order in" that dish from Jacques (Red Ginger, Polo or Toscana) that everyone was raving about on the elevator, yesterday.

That takes a little of the edge off of "getting" to each specialty a number of times, on each cruise.

That being said, Red Ginger IS the type of destination restaurant where being in THAT Dining room adds significantly to the experience.

The hot towels, the exquisite individual glass teapot service, even the jazz with the chop-stick selection, make it a fun, but still sophisticated, evening.

Next April, on the Riviera, we intend to book Red Ginger in advance, and be very casual about the other restaurants.

As does being in "Jacques." Personally, I'm not a room service type of person. I like being out and enjoying the atmosphere of a restaurant along with the food. But others love dining in their suites so it's a great option to have. I see no drawback in making reservations in advance, then altering them onboard if one so desires.

We were on the Marina in April and called the first day of our allotted time slot (Veranada Cabin). Could only get 6:30 - never 7 or 7:30. We got upgraded to a PH and our butler could never get us an additional reservation for any number at anytime. I also tried the reservation desk numerous times so I really think it's imperative to reserve as early as possible. Enjoy!

Our April 19the Med Cruise was almost sold out - about 100 shy they said. I just figured 7:30 was the most popular time! All the food was great -we were just greedy and wanted to go back to any specialty one more time. We'll be in the Caribbean in March so will have another chance to indulge!

We were on the Marina in April and called the first day of our allotted time slot (Veranada Cabin). Could only get 6:30 - never 7 or 7:30. We got upgraded to a PH and our butler could never get us an additional reservation for any number at anytime. I also tried the reservation desk numerous times so I really think it's imperative to reserve as early as possible. Enjoy!

I am happy to say we had better luck with specialty restaurants.

On 3 segments we ate at least twice in each restaurant (had balcony twice & PH once). In fact in nearly 50 days we ate no more than 3 or 4 times in the MDR. When we did not eat in the specialty restaurant, we ate at the Cafe (Aaaah, those lobster tails, jumbo shrimp :D).

I think it depends on the passengers on that particular cruise some want more seatings in the specialty restaurants & some do not care either way

we did a B2B ..1st cruise we got extra seatings 2nd we could not get any extra ...it is just the luck of the draw

We take our allotted number on some cruise & some we only go to one 1 time

I'm with Paul. Of 19 nights on the Marina we ate 12 times in specialty restaurants, three times in the Terrace cafe and only four in the MDR which was quite enough imo.

If a butler cannot manage to get any extra reservations he's not a very good butler imo.

We have never made advance dinner reservations, but we have always managed to get a reservation if we wanted it while on board. Although usually earlier or later than I might have liked, but no big deal.

Truthfully, I have no idea why people get all worked up about eating in the "speciality" restaurants. The food isn't any better than in the Grand Dining Room.

Truthfully, I have no idea why people get all worked up about eating in the "speciality" restaurants. The food isn't any better than in the Grand Dining Room.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I strongly disagree with you.

There is nothing on the MDR menu that compares with anything in Red Ginger, Jacques or even the steaks, prime rib in Polo or many other things in Toscana.

Obviously, food is more subjective than most other things on a cruise.

I would gladly dine in the specialty restaurants over MDR every night if I could:)

On our cruise last summer, which was overbooked, thus entirely sold out, we had two reservations in each of the two specialty restaurants. We were able to change those while on board to join people we met during the cruise. We were not able to get extra reservations. However, when going to dinner in the MDR, we were offered extra opportunities to dine in the specialty restaurants by the maitre'd. This happened when we arrived with other couples, or when the MDR was particularly busy. We could take or leave the opportunity. However, after trying both specialty restaurants and the MDR, we actually liked the MDR menu the best. It was the most varied, had lots of choices, where the specialty restaurant menus never changed. The quality of the food and the service was excellent and the dining room was pretty. So I give top marks to the Insignia's MDR. :)

Not only is the food in the GDR on the Marina not of the same quality as the specialty restaurants, as Paul states, but the whole experience is less enjoyable. The room is, imo, far too large and impersonal. The service is more "catering hall" than fine restaurant and the time to complete a meal can be overlong. These are just my opinions. btw. On the R ships the experience in the GDR is better, I think.

I would gladly dine in the specialty restaurants over MDR every night if I could:)

I should have added that I would do this on the Marina only where rotating between 4 restaurants would be manageable (with occasional visit to the excellent Cafe) and where the MDR experience is subpar (I agree with wripro on this).

I would not choose spec. restaurants every night on the R ships where the choices are more limited and MDR experience is better.

JMO.

We recently returned from Nautica and booked our included slots before we sailed (we were inside so just one in each restaurant). However we noticed on both nights that there were empty tables. We did try to make another booking at the desk and were on the wait list for another visit to either Polo or Toscana but in the end just called in on the way to dinner and got a table. We always eat late - 8.30 at the earliest - and I think this helps. A lot of the passenger prefer to eat at 6.30 which seems ludicrously early to us. I would like to add that although both the food and the ambiance of the spec. rests. was wonderful we did find the GDR absolutely excellent and also always managed to get a table for two when we wanted one. We preferred not to eat in the terrace in the evening (did this once) as we prefer the more formal approach in the evening but the food there was similarly excellent. the quality of Oceania food is wonderful and I put on the pounds to prove it!

I think a distinction in this topic needs to be made between R ships and Marina.

Marina's 4 specialty restaurants are not the same as just Polo & Toscana of the R ships. Likewise, Marina's Terrace Cafe is NOTHING like the Cafe on R ships. Marina's Cafe serves lobster tails, jumbo shrimps, 2 kinds of steaks, grilled fish and salmon, lamb chops, sausage, grilled veggies, freshly made pasta dishes and stir-fries - every night; and that's just the grill station. There is nothing like that on the R ships. Also, the MDRs are quite different from each other on the 2 ships - at least IMO.

Only people who have been on both can fully appreciate this.

I think a distinction in this topic needs to be made between R ships and Marina.

Marina's 4 specialty restaurants are not the same as just Polo & Toscana of the R ships. Likewise, Marina's Terrace Cafe is NOTHING like the Cafe on R ships. Marina's Cafe serves lobster tails, jumbo shrimps, 2 kinds of steaks, grilled fish and salmon, lamb chops, sausage, grilled veggies, freshly made pasta dishes and stir-fries - every night; and that's just the grill station. There is nothing like that on the R ships. Also, the MDRs are quite different from each other on the 2 ships - at least IMO.

Only people who have been on both can fully appreciate this.

I didnt realize this at the time, and if you recall when the size of the Marina was announced, I resisted it mightily, but this is another reason why Oceania decided to go bigger with the Marina class (or the "Oceania" class as some are now calling it).

Many people love the R ships for their intimacy and scale, but they just can't support the same level of amenities as these newer ships do. The Terrace Cafe is only one example, but the improvement in variety and presentation on the Marina is amazing.

I remember finding it slightly jarring when FDR was so enthusiastic about going bigger. Now, it is a little disconcerting to see that he was so right.

We traveled on Nautica last year and made reservations ahead of time for tables for 2. On one occasions we were waiting to be seated in the MDR and the head waiter called the specialty restaurant and got us in right away.

We were able to eat where ever we wished if we were willing to join a table for 6 and flexible as to time. Our next cruise we decided to stay in a suite so that we could dine comfortably in the cabin after a long day sight seeing. The ability to order from either of the 4 specialty restaurants for cabin service is very nice too.

We had excellent food in the main dining room on the Nautica (and superb service). But the specialty restaurants were a cut above the MDR and the service was even better than in the MDR.

The Terrace Cafe on the Nautica was not as good as the MDR. I look forward to seeing an improvement on the Marina!

Archived