Cabin/Stateroom Code

NauticalOne

Hello all and thanks for all of your postings thus far, I have learned a lot. I spent 26 years in Submarines in the Navy and never thought I would pay to go to sea ... but here I am!

My wonderful wife purchased us a cruise for my 50th birhday in November of this year. We are actually getting underway on my birthday (the 27th) onboard the Ruby. I am really looking forward to this trip and the only down side I have seen thus far is that we planned it too far in advance. We planned/purchased this cruise in February and it does not seem as though November is ever going to get here. This was the first time I ever wanted Summer to get over more quickly.

Anyway, although I have learned a lot from reading in this board, one thing that is still a little confusing to me is the cabin codes on Princess. From what I have figured out the closer to "A" the second letter of the code is, the bigger and/or better the cabin is. Is that correct? We are in a "BD" cabin, I am assuming that is better than a "BE" or "BF", but not as nice as maybe a "BB" might be, right?

Wow....lots of B's, good thing I am not allergic. ;-)

Thanks for any info.

-Glenn

You are correct, and congratulations on your first pleasure cruise! Any stateroom category with a B before it is great because it means you have a private balcony! The closer to A, the better the location (mid-ship, Caribe deck, etc.). Kudos to your wife for choosing such a fun birthday present! Have a blast!

As you said, there's lot of info on here - just takes time to find it all!

On CC there are threads that have pics of staterooms. I'm doing Crown Princess in January, and CP is one of 4 ships with pretty much the same layout (Caribbean P, RUBY, Emerald) so you might find your cabin or a similar one pictured. I also found info on my cabin by using "search" and typing in the cabin number 0 came up with 4 decent responses.

Cabins tend to be on the small side (we used to camp in a small trailer so we're used to it), but some people find it smaller than they thought. In truth, you won't do much in your cabin except sleep, anyways, Too much onboard to do!

The actual Balcony stateroom categories are almost identical, it is mainly the location that is different. So, no matter which category balcony stateroom you have booked, the interior of the cabin will be the same. There is a difference in balcony size with some balcony cabins though. If I am not mistaken, your balcony will be 9 ft X 5 ft, where as there are some in higher categories that have a 9 ft X 9 ft balcony. ;) Enjoy your first experience with cruise ship cruising!

On CC there are threads that have pics of staterooms. I'm doing Crown Princess in January, and CP is one of 4 ships with pretty much the same layout (Caribbean P, RUBY, Emerald) so you might find your cabin or a similar one pictured. I also found info on my cabin by using "search" and typing in the cabin number 0 came up with 4 decent responses.

Cabins tend to be on the small side (we used to camp in a small trailer so we're used to it), but some people find it smaller than they thought. In truth, you won't do much in your cabin except sleep, anyways, Too much onboard to do!

Who says!

Actually CB is the Caribbean Princess. CP stands for Coral Princess

The Crown Princess is KP. Go figure.
These are the 2-letter abbreviations for these ships on the Princess website. If you go to princess.com and go to the ships, check the URL for the abbreviation.

When the Sea Princess was built, there was already a CP being used so it was given CP. When the Coral, Caribbean, and Crown Princess were built, since CP was already in use, they were each given a unique abbreviation.

One thing to remember when considering categories is that they are based on the "perception" of a better location. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the best or a better location for you. The perception is that the higher the deck and closest to mid-ship are "better." That's not necessarily true. If you tend to get seasick, you don't want to be on a higher deck. You could book a BA balcony cabin on the Lido deck and while you'd be near the buffet, you'll have a small balcony with just two chairs underneath a public deck where people will be walking 24/7. You'll pay the same for that BA as you would on Caribe deck with a balcony almost 2x the size and big enough for two half-loungers, two chairs and a table, and no one walking over your head. Yet the perception is that the Lido cabin is just as desirable as the one on Caribe. Do your research and know/understand what you're booking.

If they only knew how much fun DH and I have in our cabin they would want to list it in the Patter! :p

hey nauticalone--welcome to cruise critic! lots of information and really knowledgeable people to help you out. i'm glad you found us! i also am having a hard time waiting for a november cruise. congratulations on your 50th and i hope you two have a wonderful time.

Cabins tend to be on the small side ....

As a Submariner, NauticalOne, I doubt you will have this same perception...;)

My wife and I are also going on my first non-Navy cruise next March. I was a Naval Flight Officer for 21 years. I compared the size dimensions of the Ruby to the aircraft carriers I flew from and the Ruby is darn near as big!!!

I agree with you about the anticipation waiting for a cruise booked so far in advance!! It's like being a kid waiting for Christmas!! :D

I had the same confusion about cabin codes - so I went on the Princess web site booking area and wrote down all the cabin Types and the categories within the types. There are actually MiniSuite and Suite categoriss above "AA" - VS, PS, PH and OS.

Question - are cabin types and categories standard throughout the Princess fleet?

Archived