Joanie's Alaskan Adventure 2011 has begun:)

IRL_Joanie

Gail, Would love to meet you!!! We are staying at the Fairmont Waterfront at Canada Place. I will check this thread to see if this is good for you and we can meet there?? It would be awesome!!

Joanie

Hi Joanie: Your hotel is perfect for a meeting. I can take Canada Line. Early afternoon would be great. Planning to go to first BC Lions home game in our newly renovated stadium which is just a short Skytrain ride away. Really looking forward to finally meeting you & DH. Does the hotel still have the black lab greeting guests? Will watch here for confirmation. Gail.

:):)

Joanie, Joanie, Joanie - your review so far has not disappointed! So glad you are enjoying your trip and looking forward to hearing about the rest and your second week on board. Say hi to LV Sue and Rhodi for me, would ya? Looking forward to your next post! Keep up the good work, girlfriend.

Gald to hear you are having a good cruise!

When we sailed the Zuiderdam in July in the PH, the laundry info stated that any laundry picked up by 9:30 am would be returned the next day. Sometimes we would get our laundry back the next day even if our wonderful stewards Rudy and Wayan picked it up later than 9:30 (particularly the day before the second formal night), but mostly, this rule held true. I guess it was different before?

Thursday 15 September 2011

Yesterday was a very cold 45 degree Glacier Bay in the rain with winds coming on the Port side at 32 mph (COLD!!!!!!!!). The day started out with fog and rain as we entered the bay and continued throughout the day EXCEPT at the glaciers. As we approached each of the glaciers the fog lifted to either right at or just above the mountain tops. As we sailed away from each of the glaciers the fog would come back in and cover them from our view. We heard calving, but did not see any on this cruise, well, I did not.... BTW, all of our viewing was from our Huge Verandah, which is where I invited all of the smokers to as the Public Area decks are now non smoking while in Glacier Bay!! We had quite a few people enjoying the view under the protection of our verandah and the warmth of our stateroom. We ordered hot chocolate and the In Room Dining Manager delivered it himself:) Sea Wave/Bay Wave Action was absolutely almost calm, until we left Glacier Bay. The waves started rockin and a rollin us at dinner last night around 6:30 or so. Strong enough that I had to retreat to our stateroom and stare at the horizon for almost 2 hours, until my system calmed down, and I do not suffer from sea sickness normally.............

I have tons of photos of the Bay, the glaciers and the sheer beauty that is this pristine wilderness and the marine life that is here also. I have a few shots of dolphins jumping in our wake as we were leaving the Bay. I have Sea Lions playing both around the ship, on the Ice Bergs, big and small and in the bay. I think I even got some of a couple of whales, but not quite sure about them until I get home and see the photos full sized.

We are now almost to Ketchikan (7:45 a.m. Local time) and the clouds are lifting rapidly. Looks like it will be sunny in a couple more hours. Temps are currently 55 degrees and predicted to be 65 later today.

Sorry for the typos, but trying to get this typed up so as soon as we get to Ketchikan in 2 hours I can upload it immediately so hubby does not miss his excursion. I also apologize for reposting the first 2 or 3 days of this cruise in my last entry.

For those that are interested, Captain Timmers will be disembarking the ship on Saturday in Vancouver, and going home for vacation. Captain Turner will be coming aboard. Captain Turner was our Captain aboard both of our Westerdam Cruises in February and May 2009.

The Cruise Dirrector is Shane Michaels (his stage name, not his real name.) He and his fiance, Rene (The Events Coordinator/Party Planner) will be on board the ship until February when they will move to the Noordam (She already is aware that I am doing th CC M&G on our March 5th cruise). We had both Shane and Rene on the Nieuw Amsterdam at the end of November- beginning of December 2010.

Speaking of Rene.... I met with her and the Beverage Manager yesterday in order to get everything for our CC M&G finalized and they informed me that our M&G on the 18th is the first Official M&G for this Alaskan Season. They said that they were very surprised as normally they have at least 2-3 per month.......... The ship is comping us a huge sheet cake, one layer chocolate, one layer vanilla as we have 5 anniversarys (at least) amongst our CC M&G members. I asked about Mojitos (spelling?) and or Bloody Mary's (I've never asked before, but after reading other M&G reviews, thought I would try...) and was told that is through the Hotel Manager and not the Beverage Manager and that he more than likely will not do it as their budgets just do not allow it anymore

For RuthC ........... I had the most decadently delicious dessert 2 nights ago (Tuesday) that I ate a bite for each of you, dedicating each one to you by name:) If, on your cruise, they have as dessert in the MDR, Chocolate Purse, ORDER IT!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! I swear my name for it is VERY VERY Indecent!!!! Ruth, I am also saving all of our Stateroom Chocolates for you *Grin*

Speaking of food..... I LOVE THE PG food on this ship!! I love the food in the MDR and the service is extremely efficient!! I cannot wait to eat again in the PG!! And from me, making that statement is a miracke as I have NEVER cared for the PG food!! In the MDR we are at table 79, a 2 top right at the railing. Our Head Maitre' de is Bernie (an old acquaintance from the May 2008 cruise on Oosterdam), his assistant Chandra, our Head MDR Steward is SaiPul (he goes by Paul) and his assistant Yoga. I have photos from last night of them and Imam (Hunky Dory.)

Both our Pinnacle Grill Dinner and all of our Main Dining Room Dinners so far have taken 1 hour from the time we walk in until we are leaving the table. Native NYers (CC member and her hubby, Hi Sheila and Cliff!!) mentioned that it could be because we are at a 2 top. They are at a 10 top (I think she said 10) and the service is a little slower. They are also at the laste seating, so.... Service is Extremely efficient, food is hot and absolutely delicious!!! No need for any salt at all, perfectly seasoned!!

Again before I forget, the Formal Nights were Sunday and last night (Wednesday. Tonight is the Chocolate Extravaganza and tomorrow night, Friday is the Master Chef's Dinner. Tomorrow, Friday, is the Mariner's Brunch in the Pinnacle at 12 noon. It is being held there this cruise because there are so few of us.

OK, time to go and watch us sail into Ketchikan!! I will not post again until Monday in Juneau.

To all my fellow CC members getting on board on Saturday and those I will see in Juneau Monday, I am really looking forward to seeing you all!! To our CC members boarding us Saturday in Vancouver, do not forget the Sail Away party!! I have tons of Appetizers ordered and the door will be open (sign has been up since last Saturday) and believe me, people have come in and really like our stateroom, including the family in PH 7046, who've come down and joined us in my PH several times:)

Joanie

Hi Joanie: Your hotel is perfect for a meeting. I can take Canada Line. Early afternoon would be great. Planning to go to first BC Lions home game in our newly renovated stadium which is just a short Skytrain ride away. Really looking forward to finally meeting you & DH. Does the hotel still have the black lab greeting guests? Will watch here for confirmation. Gail.

:):)

Gail, no Black Lab that I saw.... Just ask for us at the Front Desk. I will be there by about 10 or 10:30 am.m I wait to be the last off so.... I will let them know to tell them you will ba asking for us:) Roger and Linda Jett

I AM SO EXCITED!!!

Joanie

You have reason to be excited. Sounds like you are having a great time. Very kind of you to host the smokers [which I am]. Say hello to Juneau for me. Do check out the "Russian" Stores for end of season sales. My last Alaska cruise I picked up some beautiful Russian silver & garnet earings & ring & a beautiful broach. Wish I could sneak on board Saturday & enjoy your hospitality. Looking forward to the 24th. Raining here today. Happy sailing. Gail:)

Just a quick note to add before we leave port (Ketchikan) in about 45 minutes bound back to Vancouver.

Today has been an absolutely beautiful day!! It has been in the mid 60's and sunshine!!

I've just come back from the Photo Gallery and am aranging a photographer to come to the Sail Away and M&G both. I am sort of tired of not having every person in our photos:)

It is amazing just how much love and warmth this crew exudes.

I am nicknaming it The Love & Warmth ship!! I've had one of the Lady Bartenders give me a beautiful biblical book mark that she made (and I do not drink *Grin*) I have Maitre' de's coming up to me and calling me Darling and giving me big hugs. I have crew members in the Lido ALMOST falling over each other to get me a cup of coffee as soon as they see me coming. I've had a crew member yesterday ask me if I could talk to one of the passengers who was by herself and cheer her up, which i did *Smile* to the point that Marie has been to our stateroom several times since then. She knows that my open door policy extends to all who come with a smile on their face:)

OK time to check in with my Roll Call.

Will not be posting again until Monday from Juneau.

Joanie

For RuthC ........... I had the most decadently delicious dessert 2 nights ago (Tuesday) that I ate a bite for each of you, dedicating each one to you by name:) If, on your cruise, they have as dessert in the MDR, Chocolate Purse, ORDER IT!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! I swear my name for it is VERY VERY Indecent!!!! Ruth, I am also saving all of our Stateroom Chocolates for you *Grin*

Chocolate Purse? In all my cruises I've never heard of it. I won't ask for a description until you're back, but I am certainly intrigued. If you say it's good, Joanie, I will have to be on the look-out for it.

I had the most decadently delicious dessert 2 nights ago (Tuesday) that I ate a bite for each of you, dedicating each one to you by name:) If, on your cruise, they have as dessert in the MDR, Chocolate Purse, ORDER IT!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! I swear my name for it is VERY VERY Indecent!!!! Ruth, I am also saving all of our Stateroom Chocolates for you *Grin*

Joanie

I am not a frequent poster - but am an avid reader and follow your threads faithfully. Over the past two years you have given me some wonderful advise and for that I thank you.

Because of your postings, I got adventurous in April and did a thread while on the Oosterdam and had a ball doing it. Any way - I am a TOTAL CHOCOLATE ADDICT and this dessert sounds absolutely to die for. Thank you for telling us about it. I will be watching for it.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

September 2012 - Alaska – Amsterdam

2013 - Eastern Med - 28 day (includes cruising Black Sea)

Friday & Early Saturday Morning 16 & 17 September 2011

The end of the First Week and the Beginning of the Second..........

Well, here it is 4:20 a.m. on Saturday, 17 September 2011. We are headed in to Vancouver. We are due to pass under the Lion's Gate Bridge at around 6:30 this morning. It is the end of our first wonderful week aboard this absolutely fantastic ship!! .

Sheila and Cliff (Native Nyers) it has been wonderful with you and our fellow passenger Marie visiting every day!! Cliff, I am so happy to have met you last Sunday morning and to give you and Sheila a memory that I hope will always bring a smile to your faces!! Sheila, the photos of that Float Plane yesterday, do not show him looking as menacing as he did from the verandah (I will let Native Nyers, Sheila, tell you all the story of our "kind of" scarey experience yesterday afternoon in the middle of the Inside Passage.) I have truely enjoyed meeting both of you and hope we can cruise together again!!

Yesterday afternoon hubby and I put down our next Alaska Cruise(s) Deposit, We cannot choose the exact dates or ship yet as the 2013 Alaska schedules are not yet out, but we are going to do the 3rd and 4th weeks of May 2013. We've done the 1st and 2nd weeks of the season (Seattle). We've now done the next to the last and the last cruise to Alaska (Inside Passage). Now we want to do the Inside Passage with the snow still on the mountains and the real beauty of God's Handiwork. And for the record, it will only be aboard a HAL ship with an Aft Wrap Around Verandah, so it is Vista or Signature Class ships for us!! Hubby agrees it is the best fit/niche for us!!

Before I forget a couple of things. According to the Park Ranger in Glacier Bay, we were the first cruise ship to get as close as we did to the Glaciers in more than 2 months!! According to her the Ice has just been to thick and the baby Sea Lions to young to get very close, except for us!!

Yesterday while at dinner, Master Chef's Night (Which was FUN!!!) there was a HUGE school (or is it Pod??) of Dolphins playing right off our Starboard side of the ship!! There had to have been at least 1 dozen of them all coming to within 15-20 feet or so of the ship. They were jumping all over the place as if welcoming us and inviting us to play with them!! I look forward to seeing them again tomorrow from LVSue's Verandah:)

There are 1700 first time cruisers aboard the Zuiderdam this week, approximately 90% are either British or Australians, all on tours with large groups. The rest, about 100-200 of us are US, Canadian and a few Dutch and 1 German couple, there are only about 100 Mariners, none above 3 Star Mariner level. Speaking of Mariner Levels, we received our 3 Star Mariner level today *YIPPEEEEE* Our final bill next Friday will reflect the discounts and all then since we do not receive a bill until then for the entire cruise, even though they were booked as 2 seperate cruises.

Only 4 of us are doing the turn around today. We will be disembarking to go through both US and Canadian Customs/Border Patrols at any time we wish with the rest of the disembarking passengers. However, since there are only 4 of us, we get to come back on through the Crew Only/Non Revinue line. Our Concierge told me she could/would change that and I told her NO as how many passengers get to do something special like that?? And yes, I do feel special when I get to do something that only the crew get to do!!

OK, tis time for me to go and waken hubby so he can help me watch as we sail into Vancouver and the start of what will be one of the most enjoyable cruises yet for us both!!

Love and miss ya'll but I am not yet ready to go home!!

Till Monday and Juneau!!

Joanie

==========================================

Saturday 17 September 2011

The "Z" Dammers cruise has begun!!

Well, the 2nd week of our Alaska cruise via Vancouver started very early for me, 2:30 a.m. I could sleep no longer. The excitement of what and whom today would bring was just to much for me.

As usual I had my thermos of hot coffee, filled by Asef the night before in the Lido, so was able to head right on out to the verandah and sit under the verandah overhang, protected from the slight rain and wind.

I woke hubby at 5:15 a.m. as I spotted Lion's Gate Bridge off in the distance since he'd mentioned he wanted to take photos of it as we sailed under it at 6:30 a.m. Breakfast arrived right at 6 and as always was exactly what we'd ordered, and definitely hot.

It was a gorgeous sail into the Port of Vancouver, even though it was raining and the wind was off the port side of the ship at a brisk 23 mph. We were able to make full use of our SB 7142 Aft Wrap Around verandah and sit (standing when we wanted to) and take tons of sail in photos.

Captain Timmers had us docked right at the scheduled 7 a.m. time. Disembarkation started, I believe right around 8 a.m. Captain Timmers was off and Captain Turner replaced him at about 9 a.m.

Since hubby and I were In Transit (staying on board), we'd received our letter last night, along with our In Transit cards, telling us that we could disembark anytime, but no later than 9:30 so the ship could be "zeroed out" by 10:15 or so. As soon as we hit the end of the gangway, we were to follow the Yellow Crew Only signs on the left hand side, through to security and Customs/Border Patrol. We were then directed to the same waiting room from the week before (between Security and the Key Card waiting room), where we waited until about 120 Australians from a Tour group were allowed through to sit with us. Hubby and I were then told to go on ahead of everyone else and again follow the Crew Only signs to reboard the ship. All in all, I think we were off the ship for a total of about 45 minutes.

Once again the ship is full of Australian and British tour groups and a smaller group of RCAC (Retired Candadian Army Corps) and their familes who are having their annual reunion. This time however there appear to be a couple more American and Canadian passengers and a fair amount of children between the ages of a few months old to -17 or so, I know I counted at least 25 yesterday.

One thing that I must add is that the British are HOT all the time!! This is not meant as an insult, but as an insight as to why there may be so many problems with the Air Conditioning/Heating on board, not only the Zuiderdam this week, but all the HAL ships!!

The staterooms on either side of us the past week kept their verandah doors wide open 24/7. The stewards and the Concierges tried to explain to them many times about the doors being left open and the problems that this caused, to no avail.... One minute I'd be freezing, the next hot as could be.... I swear I thought I was going through that stage known to all women world wide as "THE CHANGE" in my life again.... This afternoon I noticed the stateroom beside us (7140) once again had their verandah door wide open.... New people, same old problem...... Later this evening, as I was delivering the CC M&G invitations, I overheard several British passengers asking their stewards how to turn the heat down as they were boiling in their staterooms, even though the rest of the ship feels like an iceberg to me..... As Sean, one of our CC members was explaining to us this afternoon at the Sail Away party on our verandah, what happens is that the people with their verandahs open are literally sucking the air from the interior of the ship right out the verandah doors. They think they are getting fresh air, but they are not. The ship is kind of like a vaccuum and all the air inside is escaping out the open doors. So when their verandah doors are opened they are getting all the bad breath, cigarette smells, everything, coming through the vents and right through and into their staterooms. They are NOT getting fresh air.

While in the Atrium waiting for a couple of our CC members to board, the Hotel Manager, Kees, whom I had not met until today, and I started discussing Cruise Critic.... turns out he had the ORIGINAL Cruise Critic Wave Banner from 2002 in a closet in his office!! It had not been used since 2009 (I believe the last signatures on it were from June 2009, I recognized a couple of the signatures/CC names, OH MY GOD!!! Just saw our own Cruisinetta's Signature with a ship drawn around it!!! OMG LYNN!!! 12-09-08 is the date that I saw fr you!!! Cruisin Along I saw yours!! and there are so many more I will bring it with me to the Cocktail Party and we can check out and write down all of the names and dates on it. I will post the names and dates after I get home!!) He asked me if I'd like to use it for our Sail Away Party... Of course I said YES!!! He also gave me a white pen/marker, so that we could all sign it. He also asked, and I accepted, an offer for a brand new CC Banner made by the ship to be used for future CC Sail Aways aboard the Zuiderdam!! I have no idea when we will get it. The Original signed by us and retired, and a new Original to be signed by us, The "Z" Dammers and passed on to our future CC members. The banner for the Banner wave, old and new, will be in the Hotel Manager's Office Closet for all of you to use!! Now keep in mind that you will have to make arrangements to pick it up from whomever the Hotel Manager is and find out where they will allow it to be used from. We did it from my Aft Wrap Verandah, so I hope ya'll who watched the Sail Away saw us!! You can ask if they will allow it from another area of the ship.

I also mentioned to Kees just how gratefull we, as Cruise Critic members are for everything the ships do for us, and he said he wanted to give back to us also. He asked if we'd be interested in the Ship, read Kees here, throwing us a Cocktail party in one of the lounges this coming week.... You better believe I accepted for all of us on this week!!! We will decide at the M&G what day and time is the best, I think Wednesday at around 2 or 3 p,m, as we will be almost out of Glacier Bay by then, but I do not want to make that final decision on my own, we are a group and should make that decision together as a group.

The Sail Away Party was absolutely wonderful!! We had about 1/2 the CC Roll Call show up and help us enjoy the Champagne, Hot Shrimp, Chicken wings and the rest of the Appetizers. We still had so many appetizers left over that not only did I beg people to take a plate with them as they left, but we also invited the passengers beside us and below us (Alan & Kate, the room below us are/were CC Lurkers!!) to come on up and over to share the sail away party also, which they did!! We had a BLAST!!!! So much so that hubby and I missed dinner last night....LOL, it was nearly 7:30 before we realized the time. Oh well, hubby dined on the left over appetizers.

Until Tomorrow

Joanie

=================================================

Sunday & Monday 18 - 19 September 2011

Sunday 18 September 2011

What a Beautiful day today is going to be!! I woke at around 4:30 this morning and looked out the verandah to see and feel the heavy overcast, not quite foggy, and drizzle.

I sat and typed up the events from yesterday until around 6 a.m. when I then went to the Lido Aft Pool area for a cup of hot chocolate and a smoke. While sitting there a nice Australian couple (she in sandals, I mention that because of how COLD it was) came to have a bit of a smoke and their coffee. I invited them to join me in my little alcove as I did not bite to hard for an American. Hehehehe... Anyway we were talking for about 10 minutes or so when we discovered..... They are Perthcruisers from Cruise Critic!! Yes, they are on the Roll Call, but I had not received their stateroom number before I left so ....... LOL, how small the ship is to have that happen 2 weeks in a row!!!

It is time to wake hubby and then head up to the Crow's Nest to ensure everything is in order for our M&G. I'll add to this day's events later today.

Monday 19 September 2011

Well, it is now Monday 4:45 a.m., and I was unable to finish yesterday, post CC M&G, because of the very rough time that was had by 95 percent of the ship (including a large percentage of the crew and officers!!)

Our M&G started well enough, but by the forced end of it less than an hour later it was a total bust.....And I DO MEAN BUST!!!

We had such extreme seas that we were unable to pick up our Canadian Pilots as they were unable to fly into whatever point they fly into and then Pilot Boat out to meet the ship, so the Vancouver pilot had to stay onboard with us until we were able to pick up our Alaskan Pilot last night.

I was at the Crow's Nest at around 9:30 yesterday morning, with our M&G scheduled for 10:00 and all was almost completely set up, Appetizers, both hot and cold, beautifully carved fruits, Coffee, tea and water at the ready. Kees (pronounced Case) already there, overseeing everything, 2nd Head Chef (I will get his name today (He is a very sweet Indian gentleman who makes sure all of his staff takes good care of us *Got to love Holland America Line's Crew!!), The Event/Party Planner, Rene, her fiance the Cruise Director Shane were there as was a VERY DEAR old friend from our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in November, Kenneth!! Kenneth came on board this past Saturday and I did not know it was he until he walked into the Crow's Nest and we immediately recognized each other and hugged like old friends meeting for the first time in years. ...Also there were The Public Relations Manager, the Head of House Keeping and the Chief Security Officer. Captain Turner was also in the Crow's Nest with his wife, but when all HELL broke loose only his wife stayed behind for just a couple of minutes. We never got the chance to have them introduce themselves to us or us to them.... Oh well....

Yes, you read the last paragraph correctly! All Hell broke loose aboard the ship at around 10:15 when we hit the roughest seas that even many of the Officers and Crew had ever seen or experienced in all their years at sea...Even Kees told me later that he was so seasick and he does not get sick............

The waves were so high and coming at us from the South and South West at about 8-10 (Can someone explain that for me please, that knows what they are talking about?? All I know is that normally these last 9 days, the seas have been at 2 or 3.) Kees informed me last night that the ship listed twice to 20 degrees both port and starboard and that the waves were coming up and over the bow. He said something about the bow being swamped *YIKES*

Right at 10:15 a.m., as we were getting ready to start the M&G and introduce all of the Officers, their phones started ringing and everyone started running (not literally, but...) Kees explained to me that they had emergencies to deal with and could he make one announcement and then he had to leave us. WE ALL understood that ship and safety was the first concern!! His announcement, JUST as the Truffles (one of our dessert appetizers) hit the floor literally, was that he wanted all of our names and stateroom numbers so that the ship could send us invitations to a Ship hosted Cruise Critic Only Cocktail Party - Question and Answer Session in the Piano Bar on Friday at 4:30.

There were 25 CC members in attendance and unfortunately I had to leave soon after the Officers did as I could not deal with the motion of the ocean by that time and did not want to become sick in front of everyone. From what I've been told, Butterfly Girl (In Real Life, Vicki) took over and managed quite well on my behalf (and this was/is her first cruise. WTG My New Best Friend!!)

By the time my hubby made it back down to our room the waves were so bad that he seriously contemplated getting out his cell phone and calling in a MAYDAY!! LOLOLOL!!! He collapsed on the bed and stayed there for at least 2 hours.

I do have to mention that not only were the barf bags out by the time he came down to the room, but Captain Turner also had half of the elevators shut down along with ALL outside decks. I tried to sit on my verandah in one of my chairs, I do better outside sitting and staring at the waves, but one of the times we listed to port I felt like I might be tossed over the aft port side, so decided the smartest thing was to literally crawl to the verandah door and be safe inside. I tend to think if I had not made it inside when I did, that next list, which came about 5 minutes later, would have made the headlines world wide as, "Passenger missing off of Holland America Ship in Alaska waters after attempting to host a Cruise Critic Party that was a Real Bust." And it would have been an accident, but who'd have known?? LOL

Apparently, shortly after I left the M&G, all of our Hot Appetizers hit the floor in the Crow's Nest and I believe it was right about then that our SMART CC members decided to retreat to the safety and beds in their staterooms.

The seas were back to their normal 2-3 by about 3 p.m. and we were able to go back into the Inside passage, Captain Turner had taken us out to sea and about 20 miles out into the Pacific for safety. He did make an announcement about 4 p.m. that the production show would be switched because of the danger to the singers and dancers and that the comedian would be performing instead. I think it was a very wise decision. Also announced was that we would not be going to Tracy Arm as we'd lost so much time battling our way through the storm and another that was going to be hitting us around 8 p.m. and would last until around 2 a.m. We are due to arrive in Juneau about 1/2 hour ahead of schedule today. As I type this now at 5:30 a.m. we are once again rolling a bit from port to starboard enough to make me a bit nauseated, and I do not get seasick!!

I am so glad that hubby and I did the cruise last week and I do feel sorry that those who've never done the Inside Passage before have missed so much of the beauty that we saw last week. But that is the way of Mother Nature.

One thing I must mention, hey I am honest after all, is that shortly after the seas calmed down, I was headed to the aft elevator banks and the last stretch of hallway, right around stateroom 7098 or so, the stench of raw sewage hit me like a brick s*** house!!! It was gone by the time I came back to my stateroom about an hour later..... Other CC members told us last night that they also experienced the same stench at about the same time on their hallway decks.

OK, I am taking a coffee break and will write more as we get closer to Juneau in a few hours, Right now, tis time for Joanie to go up to the Lido Aft Deck, grab some more coffee and meet more new friends.

Just came back from having my morning coffee and had a nice chat with the Head Manager of the entire Culinary Departmment on Zuiderdam, Mr Krieger. He is German and it was wonderful to talk about our 2nd favorite country, Germany, and all in German. He is from Wurzberg originally but has lived all around the world, since 1979, with various 5 star hotels in places like Singapore, Hong Kong, Greece, China, Canada and the US and more. Hubby and I and our daughter, lived in Germany for a total of 13 years and in Greece for 4 years. He and I started talking about some of the reciepes and I asked about getting a few of the recipes from him. He stated that if I give him a flash Drive he will give me photos and the recipes so I can put them on my site!! I will just have to convert them to smaller portions is all (HOW Cool is That??) The photos are what the chefs and stewards have to look at before a plate can leave the galley to go to our tables, the plate must exactly duplicate the photo!!. If the plate does not look exactly as pictured, it does not go out to us!! Love it!! Herr (Mr. in German) Krieger will be leaving the Zuiderdam this Saturday, going back to Germany for 2 weeks vacation and then returning to his home in Canada for the rest of his vacation time from the ship. I did not ask what his next ship was as I was so excited when he gave me the 2 secrets to making Brotchen!! (A German Breakfast roll) *HUGE GRIN!!* that I forgot to ask him.... Duh....

Candy, I've told many CC'rs on board this week, that I want to steal part of your name...The Zuiderdam Princess Part. I won't but I am sooooooooo tempted!! I LOVE THIS SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW, Candy, Imam (Hunky Dory) said he was going to email you from Juneau today.

Before I forget, in Penthouse Suite 7046 is a nice young couple, Michael and Jacqueline and their 5 year old son (they are from England). I met them this morning in the Neptune Lounge, and they have spent the greater part of today on my verandah. How cute is that?? Alsex, the 5 year old is thrilled to have the entire verandah to run around on and see everything. They have been quite limited in viewing opportunities because of the winds and the rougher than normal ocean. They are at a FCC hosted 1st Time Cruisers Lunch in the MDR. I told them to expect most of the other 1700 or so 1st time cruisers to also be there. They will be back every day to see the world go by from my verandah. See, y'all thought Joanie we crazy because of her choice of staterooms:)

It is nearly 1 p.m. here as we prepare to enter Juneau and I am so excited to be meeting up with fellow CC members for lunch today at "The Crab Shack"!! Miss all of you!! It is hard on me not to read the boards every day and not being able to answer questions. I am looking forward to being back on line with y'all, while at the same time knowing that it means I will not be on this beautiful ship....

Just docked and have Westerdam tendered behibnd us, Amsterdam in front of us with Princess and Celebrity ships being the furthest from town.

gumballz and her daughter are waiting for me on the dock so it is time to say....Will report from Skagway tomorrow.

Joanie

Joanie,

Enjoying your reports. Wow, green water over the bow in a Vista ship -- that is some sea state! I've seen it on several Navy ships, and once on an aircraft carrier (north Atlantic storm). Sailors tend to be more ready for rough weather than cruise passengers; I hope everyone was OK.

Thanks for continuing to post. The Alaska route is one we have not done on HAL, and we are thinking of doing it in 2013 ... but maybe not in September :D.

Dave

Joanie, thanks for the great reports. It sounds like you are really getting to know the ship and its staff! The rough seas sound awful, though. We had something similar on a cruise to the Mediterranean in 2009 - we couldn't even walk around for fear of hitting the walls, it was so rough! Glad it is over for you and hope you have only calm waters from now on!

It is now around 8:30 p.m. here in Juneau. Hubby just got back from his whale watching experience and hooked up his hotspot so I could get on line:)

Met with gumballz, fellow CC member from the Princess boards at Tracey's King Crab Shack. Not really impressed with their food and the outrageous prices:( Suggestion for anyone on a budget or one who does NOT want to pay $72.00 for a smallish bucket of crab legs, eat in Ketchikan. I paid $28.00 for 2 crab cakes, 1 dinner roll, 1 small bowl (equivalent to about 3/4 of a cup) and 1 crab leg (smallish in my opinion.) I also paid $5.00 for a small bottle of water. As an FYI, the only reason I paid the prices I paid was because I was meeting fellow CC members there.

Barbara I waited until about 5:30 for you. But it was so cold and rainy, I could take no more. I came back to the ship and tried for almost 2 hours before I began to feel somewhat human again.

gumballz told me that her Princess ship missed Sitka because of the storm yesterday. She said they were able to pick up a pilot for the Inside Passage, but they were tossed and thrown everywhere as well. She also said that they were quite scared that they were going to end up on one shore or the other, it was so intense.

There were some Westerdam passengers there also eating. They told us they missed Hubbard's Glacier because of the storm and had quite a few injuries (running out of allowed smilies here, so please not a sad face here)

The Amsterdam was also here as was a Celebrity ship, but I did not see or talk to anyone off their ships, so no idea how they fared.

Not sure who gumballz said was doing Tracey Arm or might have been Sawyer Glacier (??? what do I know right) but either Westerdam or Princess will be doing one of those tomorrow.

Glad that you are all enjoying this blog. I just wish I could do it daily but...

OK, time to take my meds and get myself into that abso freak ing wonderful HAL bed and pillows:)

Till Skagway tomorrow!!

Joanie

Archived