Three Star Mariners Get Higher Prices?!

Megsie1000

I have pretty much lost confidence in the TA, but she is the TA my parents have used for years, so you know how that goes. I like her as a person, but she wasn't aggressive enough for me.

Unfortunately my parents booked the HAL insurance, so they are pretty much stuck. I got our travel insurance through an outside company, so I am pretty sure our coverage could be transferred if we canceled and re-booked, but we're not the ones who have such a big price gap.

I will suggest we print out and fax the pricing to them and ask for OBC. That is a great idea.

While I'm at it, I should ask for OBC for us, too, for the $100 difference between what they are quoting us and what I can find myself online.

Thanks for all the advice on the discount web TA's. I will definitely check those out next time I book. Can I choose my own cabin if I do it that way?

I would print out the pricing you are getting, take it to the TA and politely insist she get in touch with a supervisor at HAL. $500 is a nice chunk of change. Make sure you print it out ASAP, as those prices could go offline at anytime.

Yes, you can choose a cabin with the discount agencies and request not to be upgraded if that is your choice. You can make any other requests just like you would booking with HAL. If you don't see the cabin you want on their website (they all just list a certain number of cabins) you can call and request a different cabin. I always go to the HAL website first where you can put in a cabin number to see if it is available. If it is showing available, then when I am making my reservation with the online discounter, I request it. They then have to call HAL to confirm its availability.

Before booking with any agency, check them out on BBB and also do a google search with their name and the words "complaints" or "reviews."

Don't give up. I hope you get the pricing you are seeing for your parents and yourself.

I, too, am seeing a price on the HAL website that my TA cannot access for my upcoming December cruise. The price differential, however, is not as great as the $1000 your parents were originally facing. We may just let it go unless the on line price drops further -- we are staring final payment right in the face at the moment.

We had the same experience when we booked our upcoming cruise.

My traveling companion and I are both 3-star Mariners, live in the same area, and our separate Mariner numbers produced a significant difference in cost for the cruise. Our original booking was for a VA aft balcony, and my Mariner number saved a full $1,000/pp. When we later upgraded ourselves to an SZ using my Mariner number, the difference went down to a $500/pp savings. I don't think there was any difference for an S suite.

Out of curiousity, we kept checking the rates, and within a short time, the difference was $300.....then $200.....then $100.....then no difference. So had we booked a month later, we would have been subject to full rate and would never have known a price break once existed for me.

Further curiousity had me try our separate numbers on other cruises of interest to us, and we found no price difference. It makes me think that there are individual *hot* Mariner numbers that only apply to specific cruises....at specific times....and it also looks like they may not cover all cabin categories. The challenge, it would seem, is to align the discount with the cruise with the cabin. So now, in addition to the Upgrade Fairy, do we have the Random Discount Fairy???

With this in mind, if you have more than one Mariner number in your group, try out all of the numbers before you make your booking and if one has a discount, consider booking the rooms with that Mariner number.

Is the price difference due to one price for a specific suite and one price for a suite guarantee?

No because even when I go and enter a specific cabin number and continue, the price remains the same.

I have gone so far as the page where I would make payment and the price has remained at that price.

My next task is to search for the cruise under my mariner number, get to the page where we enter DOBs, etc., and then try to plug in my parent's information instead of ours and see if that changes the price. If the price remains, I'll print that page and have the TA fax it to them so that it will have their names on it.

No because even when I go and enter a specific cabin number and continue, the price remains the same.

I have gone so far as the page where I would make payment and the price has remained at that price.

My next task is to search for the cruise under my mariner number, get to the page where we enter DOBs, etc., and then try to plug in my parent's information instead of ours and see if that changes the price. If the price remains, I'll print that page and have the TA fax it to them so that it will have their names on it.

If you are able to complete the reservation with the prices that you desire, why not put a temporary HOLD on it in HAL's website. You will be given a new booking number and will have 24 hrs. to proceed with booking before the reservation is kicked out of the system. Once you get a booking #, HAL can pull all of your info, including the elusive rates that no one seems to be able to locate. Once you have this done, you could then transfer the booking to your travel agent.

Taking a screen shot and emailing of faxing the rate is not going to hold water with the HAL PCC as they must be able to pull up the information.

I would not blame your travel agent for not being too agressive, I don't think this is within her control. Nor do I believe that the PCC at HAL have any control over this. The ever changing rates are not being set at this level.

Good Luck and hang in there. Perseverance may pay off for you.

If you are able to complete the reservation with the prices that you desire, why not put a temporary HOLD on it in HAL's website. You will be given a new booking number and will have 24 hrs. to proceed with booking before the reservation is kicked out of the system. Once you get a booking #, HAL can pull all of your info, including the elusive rates that no one seems to be able to locate. Once you have this done, you could then transfer the booking to your travel agent.

So you're saying get a new booking # and then return to the travel agent with it tomorrow so that HAL can now see the rate?

I have never booked through HAL before, so I didn't even realize I could put a hold on the website. I take it you can do that without having to put down a deposit? I will do that. Excellent idea. Thank you.

So you're saying get a new booking # and then return to the travel agent with it tomorrow so that HAL can now see the rate?

I have never booked through HAL before, so I didn't even realize I could put a hold on the website. I take it you can do that without having to put down a deposit? I will do that. Excellent idea. Thank you.

I don't see why you could not do this. You are NOT required to put any money down and the dates will be posted as to when and how much monies are due. HOLD is only good for 24 hrs.

You will probably have to officially book it through HAL's PCC before transferring it to your local travel agent (if this is what you want to do). You will probably have to cancel old booking and everything attached to it (shore excursions, dinner reservations, etc.) and then have them transfer deposits/ FCD/OBC to new booking. Be sure to get a cancellation number(s) once you cancel the old booking. That new booking number is the key to those prices you are trying to get.

Taking a screen shot and emailing of faxing the rate is not going to hold water with the HAL PCC as they must be able to pull up the information.

I would not blame your travel agent for not being too agressive, I don't think this is within her control. Nor do I believe that the PCC at HAL have any control over this. The ever changing rates are not being set at this level.

Good Luck and hang in there. Perseverance may pay off for you.

I totally agree with adrift. I actually would take it a step more. Like adrift said place the cabin on hold, then have your TA call HAL and ask for a supervisor and state that their client has the booking on hold and this is the price they want to have. From there that HAL Lead/Supervisor can see what was booked/placed on hold and can tell you if they can convert the present booking into that pricing. I would think they can. Trust me I have seen several rate codes that HAL does not always see that have come up. They should be able to adjust the pricing and then just cancel the hold, if not then have HAL cancel the other booking and transfer the deposit paid to this new hold. That new booking can easily be transferred to your Travel Agent. Now for Insurance if you purchased Insurance with something like Travel Guard and not HAL's then that can be easily transferred in many cases no reason to change anything because the date of travel is the same. The only thing is that yes you have now paid less $$ but if you purchased the travel insurance more than 30 days ago there would be no refund. Now if you purchased HAL's then I would do a bit of talking to the Supervisor at HAL to see what they can do.

Personally I think HAL will be able to convert your present pricing to what you can place on hold. The other thing I have also seen happen is that you are seeing some lower prices because your computer's cookies are holding some older dates and or rate codes and when you actually go to place the cabin on hold it will not go thru. I hope for you this is not the case.

Perhaps doing it this way your parents might be able to transfer their insurance. I have no idea, but you can ask. Or, as Lisa has mentioned before, just ask for your reservation to be "refared." That might work for your parents. I hope so.

Keep us posted and good luck!!!

Won't the computer 'catch' a duplicate booking?

If the same Mariner number has a cabin booked and attempts to put a hold on the same ship, same cruise, will that duplication be 'picked up'?

Not sure... So, just make the booking and add the personal information without a mariner#. I guess you could try it both ways.

Won't the computer 'catch' a duplicate booking?

If the same Mariner number has a cabin booked and attempts to put a hold on the same ship, same cruise, will that duplication be 'picked up'?

I don't believe there will be a problem with this. Technically, it is a HOLD and not a booking.

Not sure... So, just make the booking and add the personal information without a mariner#. I guess you could try it both ways.

The OP will need the Mariner # to get the rates that she is seeking. Just go through and complete the entire booking and complete all required fields. When you get to the end, it will ask you if you would like to put a temporary HOLD and you check the box. It will then give you a booking #---it is very important to retain that # as you may or may not be able to pull it up in your HAL account. I would print out the entire page with all prices, etc. and then print out the page with the booking # on it. If I recall, that page will not have the specific prices on it.

adrift@sea

The OP will need the Mariner # to get the rates that she is seeking. Just go through and complete the entire booking and complete all required fields. When you get to the end, it will ask you if you would like to put a temporary HOLD and you check the box. It will then give you a booking #---it is very important to retain that # as you may or may not be able to pull it up in your HAL account. I would print out the entire page with all prices, etc. and then print out the page with the booking # on it. If I recall, that page will not have the specific prices on it.

Adrifit...... It will be interesting to see if she needs the Mariner number entered.

How can she get the rate without entering the Mariner Number?

Adrifit...... It will be interesting to see if she needs the Mariner number entered.

How can she get the rate without entering the Mariner Number?

I don't believe she can get those rates without a Mariner #, isn't that the way the computer selects the applicable rates for different individuals?

Here is what I tried to do tonight.

With my apparently magical super-powered Mariner number that can find rates that the TA and HAL can't find, :mad: I did a search tonight for Eurodam 1/14/12 7-day Eastern Caribbean. Sure enough, I got my low rate. Total quoted for the cabin for Me, my DH, DD and DS was $4831.20 for an SA cabin.

And to answer somebody's question above, I did it tonight on my mom's computer, so a totally different computer, to test out the "cookie" theory. I was still able to get the low rate.

Unfortunately, I am not the one who needs this cabin. LOL So, I went forward with the booking and once I got to the page asking for personal information for the passengers, I tried to substitute my parents' mariner numbers and the other kids' mariner numbers instead. It changed all the information and the price stayed the same. So far, so good. However, when I would press "continue" at that point, I got an error. I tried like 5 times and each time I got an error. I gave up on that little trick. :(

So, what I have done instead is to put a hold on an SA suite using my name and my information. It went through at the low price ($4831) and I even got an email confirmation with the price and a booking number. At least I know I'm not crazy. We compared it line by line with my Dad's reservation. I even requested and got the cabin next to him to prove that it is exactly the same category and even the same location.

I am completely dumbfounded as to what to do next. I have the hold for 24 hours. I could take in in with us and say "I want this price for my parents" but it's not in their name, so we can't just transfer the reservation.

I suppose we could do something where I book it with my Mom or something and Dad moves in with my DH and then we just shift around when we get on the ship, but that sounds very complicated and annoying. LOL Plus, that still doesn't solve the problem of the HAL insurance for them. If they lose the premium on the cancellation and/or can't apply it to the new reservation, that pretty much wipes out any savings they would get by trying for the new rate, if that makes sense.

Sorry this is so complicated. I am hoping somebody can learn from this or that maybe somebody has some magical solution. it is very frustrating to see that lower rate right there in black and white and not be able to attain it.

I don't believe there will be a problem with this. Technically, it is a HOLD and not a booking.

Apparently they must make a distinction. Right now I have a HOLD and a reservation. the hold is for the suite (I am not booking it becuase it is way out of budget :D) and I have my J cabin, for which I have put a deposit down.

The HOLD doesn't show up in the "my reservations" page.

It seems you fall into a 'special discount group' for that cruise and your Mom and Dad do not.

Maybe it is for those with your number of Mariners days and not as many as your parents have?

Maybe it is for people in your age range?

It does seem to be attached to a demographic into which you fit but your parents do not.

Thanks for sharing all the info with us.

It is interesting to follow.

Apparently they must make a distinction. Right now I have a HOLD and a reservation. the hold is for the suite (I am not booking it becuase it is way out of budget :D) and I have my J cabin, for which I have put a deposit down.

The HOLD doesn't show up in the "my reservations" page.

I didn't think that the HOLD would show up in your HAL account. I couldn't remember for sure though.

As for your current predicament, I can't even wrap my mind around this right now. The only thing that I could suggest to you is to lay it all out on paper---Pros and Cons. Is it worth it to you to go with the new reservations at the reduced rate (with your name and #) and incur the insurance costs. Or just let that HOLD expire and proceed with things the way they are. At least, you know you are not going crazy and imagined those prices that you obtained---Been there, done that!!!!!

I find every time we book another cruise with HAL, we learn something new. And we have been booking with them for many, many years.

Sleep on it and you may see things a bit clearer tomorrow.

I, too, got that "you may qualify for a special rate" note for my next cruise -- and guess what? There is NO difference in price at all when I use my mariner number .... Not any difference at all. I must not be in the demographic.

Archived