new alcohol policy on Sun Princess

We have just returned from a cruise on the Sun Princess and were surprised to be told that passengers cannot take beer on board (but wine is still permitted). Until very recently beer was allowed, but this is a new policy. I do not know if it applies on the Dawn Princess.

this is a c&p from the princess site but it depends who you strike at security for bringing on a six pack of beer but wine is ok

To ensure the safety and comfort of all on board, we wish to advise that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine/champagne for personal consumption. Duty and tax-free and personal alcohol purchased shore-side, must be surrendered by passengers at embarkation or prior to boarding in any port. Duty and tax-free alcohol is also available for purchase on board and will be held under bond with shore-side purchases and returned at disembarkation in the final port of call.

Again, we are being discriminated against. The alcohol policies are being enforced on Sun Princess/Dawn Princess, but not on the 'American' Princess ships.

I am a Celiac and Princess is putting a case of Redbridge Gluten Free Beer on Ruby Princess and Coral Princess for me (into my cabin) at cost price. The bars on board do not stock GF beer. Of course I had to E mail them and ask for it.

So I don't see why the same deal could not be applied on the Aussie Princess ships, Sun/Dawn/Sea.

But really at the end of the day, as RKMW - Bob says, it depends who is on duty at the gangway, some ship's security officers permit a six pack of beer on, some don't.

we were on the sun princess in March this year and to my knowledge they were not permitting wine then either...it would be taken and then given back on return into sydney?

we did not bother bringing "booze" on board so did not test the waters so to speak?

In May/June and also in Aug/Sept passengers were allowed to take one bottle of wine or champagne onto the Sun Princess. This has also been the policy on our cruises on Sun Princess in previous years.

The change relates to taking beer on board. When we pointed out to the Security Officer that we could take beer on board only a ocuple of months earlier, we were told it was a policy by the 'new management on board'. This might mean the new security management because it was the same captain!

But really at the end of the day, as RKMW - Bob says, it depends who is on duty at the gangway, some ship's security officers permit a six pack of beer on, some don't.

A bit of consistency would go a long way. I doubt I'll be carting two bottles of wine all the way from Rocky. :rolleyes:

We have just returned from a cruise on the Sun Princess and were surprised to be told that passengers cannot take beer on board (but wine is still permitted). Until very recently beer was allowed, but this is a new policy. I do not know if it applies on the Dawn Princess.

Will soon see as we are on the next DP cruise in 27 days and i will be trying to board with my 6 pack of beer and the wife with her bottle of wine.

Maybe someone currently onboard might see this post and advise us all.

Cheers Johhno

Will soon see as we are on the next DP cruise in 27 days and i will be trying to board with my 6 pack of beer and the wife with her bottle of wine.

Maybe someone currently onboard might see this post and advise us all.

Cheers Johhno

Is it really worth the effort??

I guess it all depends on the length of the cruise, how much gear you are taking, where you are coming from , how you are getting to the ship, etc - but for our last cruise, travelling to the ship down the Parramatta River, with enough luggage for 28 days - and having to drag it from the ferry terminal at Darling Harbour to the ship (in threatening to get heavier light rain) - the last extra thing I would have needed with me would have been a six-pack!! and a bottle of wine :p

These cruises cost us all many thousands of dollars - so I have learned that there are much more important considerations when travelling than saving $20 here or there.

Barry

Is it really worth the effort??

I guess it all depends on the length of the cruise, how much gear you are taking, where you are coming from , how you are getting to the ship, etc - but for our last cruise, travelling to the ship down the Parramatta River, with enough luggage for 28 days - and having to drag it from the ferry terminal at Darling Harbour to the ship (in threatening to get heavier light rain) - the last extra thing I would have needed with me would have been a six-pack!! and a bottle of wine :p

These cruises cost us all many thousands of dollars - so I have learned that there are much more important considerations when travelling than saving $20 here or there.

Barry

Hi Barry, yes I agree this is not a big issue and im sure most pax probably dont even bother,as for us the only reason we do carry-ons is so I can have my favorite couple of beers and lovely wife can have her favorite wine that Princess dont cater for.(well for the first day anyway)

After all as long as we are cruising what more could you ask for.

Cheers

Johhno

A bit of consistency would go a long way. I doubt I'll be carting two bottles of wine all the way from Rocky. :rolleyes:

I was referring to taking wine and beer on at a port of call during the cruise. We enjoy having a glass of wine while we are dressing for dinner. Yes, I know we could order this from room service, but it is simpler to just pour a glass when we want it.

If we are on a Princess cruise departing from Brisbane, we might take a couple of bottles of wine with us at the start also.

Just back from the world cruise....

In Sydney we took a couple bottles of wine and had some beer stashed in our bag...( yes for 104 days it was worth taking some of our own wine )

Our first stop Darwin... at first all alcohol was taken not matter what... there was an uproar as everyone was saying we have done it before why are stopping us now... some wanted their bottles returned so they could return them to the shop as they didn't want wine to take up their duty free allowance..... by the time we got to the ship we were allowed to take our bottles of wine and beer with a slap on the wrist and the threat it was the last time.... that night they announced that all wine and beer will be delivered to everyone staterooms and that at all ports a limit of one bottle or 6 beers was being enforced.

so in Singapore and all other ports in the patter there was a notice saying that one bottle of wine or six pack of beer.

I spoke to someone who was on the Dawn princess from Sydney to Brisbane and she said the patter said no wine and beer at all!!

Just back from the world cruise....

In Sydney we took a couple bottles of wine and had some beer stashed in our bag...( yes for 104 days it was worth taking some of our own wine )

Our first stop Darwin... at first all alcohol was taken not matter what... there was an uproar as everyone was saying we have done it before why are stopping us now... some wanted their bottles returned so they could return them to the shop as they didn't want wine to take up their duty free allowance..... by the time we got to the ship we were allowed to take our bottles of wine and beer with a slap on the wrist and the threat it was the last time.... that night they announced that all wine and beer will be delivered to everyone staterooms and that at all ports a limit of one bottle or 6 beers was being enforced.

so in Singapore and all other ports in the patter there was a notice saying that one bottle of wine or six pack of beer.

I spoke to someone who was on the Dawn princess from Sydney to Brisbane and she said the patter said no wine and beer at all!!

welcome home Jo and hope you had a good time

if you go to the princess site under FAQ it tells you can bring on wine so i do a print out and show them if need be,but we have never been stopped

bob

welcome home Jo and hope you had a good time

if you go to the princess site under FAQ it tells you can bring on wine so i do a print out and show them if need be,but we have never been stopped

bob

yeah but I am sure that is only for embarkation....

it is at the ports that they are cracking down....

also the rumour mill has it that your coffee card will be changed so that it is ship specific and have an expiry date....

all got to do with each ships budget ..... why should one ship do the work if another ship gets the money.... there were lots of hot chocolates and tea ordered on our cruise LOL....

Archived