Docked Overnight

Next summer, we are doing a 5 night to Bermuda on the Explorer. I'm wondering what the experience is like overnight (sleep, waking, eating, etc.) while you are docked in the port? I can only imagine it being pretty darn cool, but I'd be interested to hear some specifics from those who have docked anywhere overnight. Thanks for sharing.

Bart

When you're docked overnight, it's just like staying in a hotel...no motion and you may come and go as you please....no "curfews"! You may take all of your meals on the ship (and you might as well, you paid for it!), but you don't have to. You can try restaurants in town...whatever you want to do!

Many folks will do the shore thing during the day, and take advantage of the ship's offerings in the evening.

It is pretty darn cool :D. I loved being docked in St. George's and hanging around in town late at night. I especially liked the the bar restaurant right on the water, I think it was called the White Horse Tavern. No worries about having to rush back to the ship.

You're going to love it! Overnight stays are awesome. I try to find itineraries with at least one overnight on it. We did a cruise last year with an overnight in Egypt; one this year with an overnight in Istanbul, Turkey; and we're doing one with 3 nights in Bermuda next year.

Like other people have said, it's like being at a hotel and you come and go as you wish. I like it because it's fun to experience the nightlife in ports instead of leaving at 5pm. We usually spend all day exploring the port and each lunch in town. Head back to the ship in the late afternoon and nap and relax at the pool. And then we shower and head back out into port for dinner and go to some bars or clubs. It's also fun to spend time on the ship, because the facilities such as the pool are emptier. So you get the best of both worlds.

Michael

We did a Bermuda crusie several years ago and we were docked for 3.5 days. It definitely has a different feel from a Caribbean cruise. Inways it is much more relaxing as there is no time schedule. You just come and go from the ship as you please. we also felt very relaxed on the island as there was no need to cram everything that we wanted to do into just one day. we would have breakfast and then go off for the morning. Then we would come back to the ship for lunch and then go off again in the afternoon. After dinner we would spend time in town.

It was a great experience. Though I enjoy enjoy Caribbean cruises just as much with being out to sea at night.

We were docked for 3 days and rented scooters for the whole time. You just park them right outside the ship and then use them whenever. There were tons of them, you just have to make sure you remember where you parked yours. It was a great way to see the whole island. We had a group of us all rent them together.

We really enjoyed the overnight at King's Wharf. After day of touristing we went out late to the Frog & Onion an dhad late night (after midnight so early morning?) snacks and beers. Re-boarding ship at 1:30am was a little different for usual routine and stress of being back by sailing time. Crew liked it too, especially ones that are more involved with job when ship is moving. Frog & Onion had crew party area that spilled over into main area some so unusual chance for pax and crew to mix.

We were docked for 3 days and rented scooters for the whole time. You just park them right outside the ship and then use them whenever. There were tons of them, you just have to make sure you remember where you parked yours. It was a great way to see the whole island. We had a group of us all rent them together.

We also docked for 3 days years ago and also rented scooters for the entire stay. We only had to bring in our helmets to keep safe in our cabin. When ever we wanted to go we just went outside and got on our scooters and went where we pleased. There were many of them parked on the pier next to the ship like a scooter dealership. We loved it, probably the best cruise ever. We are planning to do Bermuda again because it is the prettiest, cleanest and most polite island we have been to. (also most expensive) but worth it.

Use the ship as your hotel and go for it!

Butterfly625

This was a great question & thread and I almost skipped over it. My wife & I went to Bermuda in '09 & absoultely loved it, but never gave a thought to spending multiple nights in any one port...until now. Everyones description was so nice that I cant wait to go back & try one of these trips...going to start looking now in fact...Again OP....great post...thank you

One big downside of traveling by cruising is not getting to see the ports at night. This is a bigger issue when in Europe, where it can be enjoyable to dine at a nice place, or simply bar hop or spend hours tasting tapas in Barcelona. We had a great meal one night at a table alongside the Grand Canal in Venice and went to a ballet performance in St Petersburg. I think they should do more overnights. But do pay attention to the neighborhood as a lot of these big ships don't dock close to the touristy areas and you might have to cross a working dock (usually with a shuttle or by taxi). I doubt that would apply in Bermuda though.

This was a great question & thread and I almost skipped over it. My wife & I went to Bermuda in '09 & absoultely loved it, but never gave a thought to spending multiple nights in any one port...until now. Everyones description was so nice that I cant wait to go back & try one of these trips...going to start looking now in fact...Again OP....great post...thank you

Thanks Water,

My wife and I loved Bermuda so much, we wanted to go back next year and booked the cruise. I woke up early, 4am to be exact, to watch as we got closer to port. By about 6 we got within sight and the sight was awesome!!! I just think that it would be an amazing opportunity to stay overnight in a country, but not in a hotel, but a "floating hotel" as one of the posters said.

As people have mentioned, it's very cool to stay in port over night. We have done it in Maui, Venice and Barcelona. In Maui they kept the tenders running all night so you could come and go as you wish. It's great to be able to plan something without a deadline.

I agree with all the OP's who said that they loved it!!

We took a Glass Bottom Boat excursion at night and the ride back across the bay was wonderful. To see the houses lit up and the moon reflecting off the water was a great memory to make and have (especially with all the crazy weather/bad economy/unrest we're having in the US right now). I close my eyes and I'm back on the top of the excursion double-decker boat with a rum punch in my hand, my DH and friends around me, with Bermuda twinkling in the background. As they say in the commercial "Priceless"!!!

Have fun making your own memory! Only a few days for me to make a new one!! - Miriam

Call us weird but we had one cruise scheduled for an overnighter in Bermuda and were going to stay in one of the hotels overnight.

Had it all booked and everything, the hotels name was the Grotto Bay Beach Resort.

We were excited to try it because we were thinking of going there for a week on a later vacation.

Turns out we never overnighted because it was to rough to dock the ship, we did stop there for the day on our way back from the Caribbean. Cruise ended in Boston. Bermuda was suppose to be our first stop.

Jimbo:)

Call us weird but we had one cruise scheduled for an overnighter in Bermuda and were going to stay in one of the hotels overnight.

Had it all booked and everything, the hotels name was the Grotto Bay Beach Resort.

We were excited to try it because we were thinking of going there for a week on a later vacation.

Turns out we never overnighted because it was to rough to dock the ship, we did stop there for the day on our way back from the Caribbean. Cruise ended in Boston. Bermuda was suppose to be our first stop.

Jimbo:)

I stayed at the Grotto Bay resort about 5 years ago. Took a 5 day break from life. Nice place. If you are looking for laid back, quiet, relaxation, this is it.

I agree with all the OP's who said that they loved it!!

We took a Glass Bottom Boat excursion at night and the ride back across the bay was wonderful. To see the houses lit up and the moon reflecting off the water was a great memory to make and have (especially with all the crazy weather/bad economy/unrest we're having in the US right now). I close my eyes and I'm back on the top of the excursion double-decker boat with a rum punch in my hand, my DH and friends around me, with Bermuda twinkling in the background. As they say in the commercial "Priceless"!!!

Have fun making your own memory! Only a few days for me to make a new one!! - Miriam

Thanks Miriam. Enjoy yourself on your cruise!!!

We will likely take a sunset cruise for the exact reasons you mentioned. I cannot wait.

Bart

Archived