Can someone clarify a little for me...I think I'm missing something....

MamaParrotHead

On a good deal of the reviews I've read, people mention the "flow" at the buffet. And how they wish that Carnival would break the food available into different "stations". And I'm honestly not discounting anyone's opinion, I just don't get it. On all the cruises I've been on, the lido has the main buffet lines (one near aft pool, one near main pool and two lines at each, one coming from each side of the ship). Then there's the deli, with it's own separate line. Mongolian Wok with it's own separate line. Pizza, with it's own separate line. And one or two grills going (one near main pool that's always open, the one near the aft pool wasn't going last ship I was on). And the Fish & Chips upstairs, with it's own line.

Am I missing something? I've never had a problem with lines, mostly because I don't have to eat right at noon-1:00. And the only lines I've encountered were at the Wok, which is understandable as all the food is made to order. How do the other lines do it that's so radically different?

I completely agree with you. I mean, what do they want? Something like Ryan's, Country Cookin' or Golden Coral (I mentioned all the buffet restr. I know of).

I know Ryan's is set up with all the areas in one bit space, but they have sections of food set on their own little stands. Is that what they want?

I actually think most buffets I've been to have a serpentine kind of thing. You have to wait in line behind people getting salad to get to the meat.........I'm just as confused as you are.

The only thing I have a problem with is the locations of drink machines. The location always seems to create a funnel of people trying to get drinks, people trying to go through the lines and people just walking through.

On a good deal of the reviews I've read, people mention the "flow" at the buffet. And how they wish that Carnival would break the food available into different "stations". And I'm honestly not discounting anyone's opinion, I just don't get it. On all the cruises I've been on, the lido has the main buffet lines (one near aft pool, one near main pool and two lines at each, one coming from each side of the ship). Then there's the deli, with it's own separate line. Mongolian Wok with it's own separate line. Pizza, with it's own separate line. And one or two grills going (one near main pool that's always open, the one near the aft pool wasn't going last ship I was on). And the Fish & Chips upstairs, with it's own line.

Am I missing something? I've never had a problem with lines, mostly because I don't have to eat right at noon-1:00. And the only lines I've encountered were at the Wok, which is understandable as all the food is made to order. How do the other lines do it that's so radically different?

Know your not missing anything. I don't understand their problem.

I have only sailed with RCCL and Carnival. Carnival uses the buffet line approach and your food is always well attended and fresh. RCCL uses the food station setup and you will often find food that needs attention such as empty containers or congealed left out too long items. I would much rather stand in a line (they are never that long) and get fresh served food. I do enjoy both cruise lines though and the lido/windjammer issue isn’t a big deal. I will always find something good to eat. I will say on my last two cruises with Carnival the Deli has been my favorite.

Maybe it has to do with the different ships - I don't think Sensation has a mongolian wok or a fish n' chips station. And I'm not sure how many buffets it has. I think a smaller ship might have more congestion at the buffet lines.

Just throwing that thought in there for consideration - as I personally do not have experience.

Nope, you're not missing anything. We have never had a problem with lines or with the flow. Like you, we don't go right at the "peak" times, and we have already scoped out where all the various food venues & buffet stations are. It seems many people don't know there are about 4 buffet stations for breakfast alone. But let's keep this our secret.;)

Although people complain about Princess's Buffett setup, I prefer it to the "one line type".

If Princess hadn't made the buffett area in such a small space it would work pretty well.

I was on The Glory during Irene, first time. The buffett was usually crowded at lunch time, which is expected unless it

was a Port day. I ate there when they were carving Ham. Very good. Having the desserts

in a different space helps. They should do the same for fruits and salad. The NCL Jewel

has a good setup.

I have always found congestion at the buffet line a problem on Fantasy class. On Splendour and Dream, if you went to the aft lines, they were much less crowded. Princess has a much smaller buffet area with stations, and I find their whole concept very crowded. I love the openness of the buffets on HAL vistas, and on Celebrity. Solstice had stations, the things flowed very well. The worst buffet area is on Queen Mary 2 - several area, very spread out, so confusing. EM

if you've ever sailed an rccl ship, you will see repetitions of the same food over and over, so if there is a line here, you go over there and get the same stuff, with some exceptions.

on carnival most ships have two main lines, and you wait. and wait. and wait. and wait. and wait. and wait. and wait. and wait. and wait.

the lines sometimes goes out the door.

and for some strange reason, the line on the starboard side is always longer.

and then i see some people actually suggesting to avoid the lines, don't go to lunch at lunchtime. :rolleyes::eek:

on the spirit class vessels, there's a lot of diversion, with 4 main stations, as well as the specialty stations (deli/chinky/pizza/salad/grill) so the lines are kept at a minimum. i don't think i've ever stood more than 6 deep.

RCCL and Princess have food stations not lines.....so if you want a certain item at a station you just walk up and get it. On Carnival you have to start at the beginning of the line to get something in the middle or in.........big difference.

The stations work so much better.

OK, so there's not a series of several dishes offered at the same place, it's one serving table per item? My next question would be, for those who have sailed both, are there the same variety of dishes offered? I'm trying my best to guesstimate at how many dishes are offered in the main lunch/dinner buffet line on Carnival...maybe 15-20? I'm just trying to visualize a "mashed potato station", a "steamed vegetables station", etc. scattered all around an eating area. Does anyone have any pictures?

OK, so there's not a series of several dishes offered at the same place, it's one serving table per item? My next question would be, for those who have sailed both, are there the same variety of dishes offered? I'm trying my best to guesstimate at how many dishes are offered in the main lunch/dinner buffet line on Carnival...maybe 15-20? I'm just trying to visualize a "mashed potato station", a "steamed vegetables station", etc. scattered all around an eating area. Does anyone have any pictures?

Say for instance at breakfast they will have a few stations with eggs, 2 different types of potatos, sausage ham etc.....then there will be a couple of other stations with pancakes, french toast, waffles etc.....then they will have a couple of asian stations......a pastry station where you can toast your own bread....etc........these stations are scattered around the restaurant.....

It's not like you have to go to one station and get your eggs and then go to another station to get your potatos.....does that make sense?

Agree 100 %. Having heard alot about RC's station concept I was interested in seeing how different it was from Carnival.

Yes there is more of a breakdown but still some areas where it's more of a standard buffet line.

Specifically the area where you got the sushi. Real long line there on Mariner of the Seas.

If they had separated the sushi from the other foods in this area the lines would have been shorter.

As you already stated, Carnival is somewhat broken up into stations.

BTW, it seemed there was no self serve drink stations on the Mariner. A mixed result. Yes many drinks were pre-poured and ready to go.

If you wanted a variation (more ice, less ice, a mix of flavors) you had to wait.

Agree 100 %. Having heard alot about RC's station concept I was interested in seeing how different it was from Carnival.

Yes there is more of a breakdown but still some areas where it's more of a standard buffet line.

Specifically the area where you got the sushi. Real long line there on Mariner of the Seas.

If they had separated the sushi from the other foods in this area the lines would have been shorter.

As you already stated, Carnival is somewhat broken up into stations.

BTW, it seemed there was no self serve drink stations on the Mariner. A mixed result. Yes many drinks were pre-poured and ready to go.

If you wanted a variation (more ice, less ice, a mix of flavors) you had to wait.

Carnival does not have stations in the buffet area they have however different food venues.....I was strictly talking about the buffet. And on RCCL as soon as you sit down a waiter (his name is on the table) will serve your drinks....never had to wait......if however you coulnd't wait a few seconds you could go and grab your drink if you wanted to.

To me its like going to an amusement park. The length of lines will vary depending on the time of year and time of day you go. If you go during "peak" times the lines will be longer so I just expect it and accept it. In fact, I told the relatives who were going with us this summer and 1st time cruisers, that our ship was sailing full and to expect long food lines. Doesn't make me upset or want to complain about it.

The Fantasy class has the salad bar seperate from the main buffet line, I think they should all do this. It isn't the lines so much as standing behind someone picking out the best slices of cucumber, trying to figure out what type of dressing to try. Some people just want salad. I don't think you need a seperate station for each type of food just the salad bar.

I find the best way to avoid the lines is to eat in the main dining room! :D

I agree with you completely. I was wondering if I was the only one who was thinking this too.

I find that with the setup of the stations at different places, it can take longer to get all your food than if they had just one line. On my only Spirit class ship, they've got things broken up and scattered throughout the lido deck. It took me a couple days to figure out that they actually had a salad bar, because it's tucked away way in the back, easy to miss. I don't eat just salad for lunch; I do get a little of everything. I have a full lunch. So by the time I've gotten my full lunch, I've gone through about 4 station, & waited in 4 short lines that took longer in total than one long line, and done a lot more walking. For people who just want food from one station, it's better for them. It's much worse for me. On other ships, with everything in one line, it's so much more convenient, and it reduces the chances for accidents with less walking while carrying stuff on the tray.

I was on RCCL several years ago (early 2008?) & I remember everyone entering from the center & working your way around a tear drop shaped buffet. (There were other "stations" & the desserts were in a different place.)

On the Pride, I don't remember long lines or a lot of waiting, but I found it confusing trying to figure out what all was offered...

I don't think either was better, just different.

(But I am a MDR gal - I eat in there every time it is open.;) So my experinces are limited.)

Archived