??? for past Oceania cruisers

marco

I've just read an article about "Oceania Marina" in the latest edition of Cruise Travel magazine. Thinking of a Caribbean sailing this coming winter, it visits some nice "not the same ol same ol ports". Looks great, prices are not bad for a "premium" line. Question is, as on other premium lines, are beverages complimentary? IE: bar drinks, wine with meals? The CT article did not address this.

Question is, as on other premium lines, are beverages complimentary? IE: bar drinks, wine with meals? The CT article did not address this.

No!!! alcohol is not included

Sodas, bottled water, coffees without alcohol are all included

Specialty restaurants are no extra charge except for La Reserve, Privee on the Marina/Riviera

I've just read an article about "Oceania Marina" in the latest edition of Cruise Travel magazine. Thinking of a Caribbean sailing this coming winter, it visits some nice "not the same ol same ol ports". Looks great, prices are not bad for a "premium" line. Question is, as on other premium lines, are beverages complimentary? IE: bar drinks, wine with meals? The CT article did not address this.

Your the 1st person I have seen on the message board that mentioned that the read the magazine. Thank you. I thought I was the only one.

Your the 1st person I have seen on the message board that mentioned that the read the magazine. Thank you. I thought I was the only one.

No you are not alone! I do not know what their circulation is but I have been taking the magazine since its inception, at least 20 years ago and have gleaned much valuable information over the years.

If you are a cruiser, which i assume that the majority on this thread are, you would really enjoy the magazine for ship, port and lots more interesting information.

The Sept/Oct issue of Cruise Travel magazine, just published, has a cover article on the Marina, as Ship of the Month. It's a very comprehensive article on what the ship has to offer.

Harry

Harry W mentioned the article yesterday on our Roll Call for the Marina October 11th sailing.

In general it is the most expensive lines -- "luxury" in cruise industry jargon(Crystal, Regent Seven Seas, Silversea, Seabourn, Sea Dream)

that often include alcohol and service charges. "Premium" is the next group down--Celebrity, Holland America, Azamara and Oceania.They are clearly the best combination of relatively high quality standards and reasonably accessible prices in the industry but alcohol (and service charges) are normally not included.

Remember NOTHING is ever FREE...

For the price differential, you can buy a whole lot of drinks...

I've learned not to worry about it...Book the cruise knowing the excellent value it is, then just order drinks when you want them...You probably won't drink as much as the difference in price...

BTW, we were just in an Oceania Suite on Marina...and that comes with a bottle of Scotch, Rum, Gin and Vodka plus white wine, red wine and welcome champagne in the cabin, complimentary...we sent the red and white wines to the dining room and they followed us around from GDR to specialty restaurants each night until consumed...and drank most of the others in the cabin--though I traded the gin for a second scotch and we left half a bottle of Grey Goose at the end of the cruise...which, I understand, they just toss down the drain...though I have this vision of the butlers and cabin stewards having quite a stash back in their quarters...

I have to disagree with the post that states Ocenia is a premium line not a luxury line. I have been on Celebrity (South America and Panama Canal) and Holland America (Alaska) as well as Regent (10 day Christmas Carribean Cruise). Oceania is heads above those lines. We did not care for the service or the meals on Regent and don't understand what people like about it. Our suite on Regent was very well appointed but other than that we don't see the benefit to sailing that line. However, I must add that we are not big drinkers so we don't usually build up a big bar tab. Oceania is our favorite line; the staff treats us exceptionally well and we leave feeling pampered. I must add that we live in downtown Chicago and are used to eating at high end restaurants and visit high end spas so our standards for fine dining, facials and massages are set high. Oceania meets our expecations in these area but Regent does not. As far as Holland America and Celebrity - given what we paid they were fine. We pay more when we crusise with Oceania but we get more. With Regent we felt cheated because our cruise was expensive yet lacking in luxury - had we paid what we would to go on Holland America it would have been fine but given the poor value we would never sail with them again..

I have to disagree with the post that states Ocenia is a premium line not a luxury line.

Depends on your definition of luxury ;)

I think Oceania is very much up there but I have not sailed on any Luxury lines to compare

You should sail on the cruise line that suits you best

Lyn

Archived