Regent vs Oceania

Naper

Actually, I think for Regent fans, there's a very positive line in there:

"We do want to maintain the separation of the brands," PCH chairman and ceo Frank Del Rio told Seatrade Insider.

As we're seen more sharing of systems, procedures and practices between Regent and Oceania over the past few years, some have speculated and/or worried here that it seemed like things were slowly marching towards merging the brands or at least making them evermore similar. Here we have the CEO saying in unambiguous language that isn't their plan. And the clear delineation of floors helps amplify in more than mere words that the separation isn't going away. It makes sense for a lot of corporate functionality, like purchasing and HR, to be shared as much as possible, but I take it the details of this story as a positive sign that PCH isn't on a path towards merging or making the two brands too similar.

-- Eric

Eric -- not disagreeing with you. It is just a slow time on the Regent board right now as evidenced by someone bringing back an old thread with very old news. Fortunately, there are a lot of CC'ers on the November 20th transatlantic crossing that will be posting soon. Then, a couple of us will be posting from the Middle East on the Voyager.

Speaking of news -- Regent has had difficulty getting documents to passengers in a timely manner the past couple of weeks. Not sure what the problem is. Passengers on the November 12th itinerary received their docs. around the 4th of November. We under 3 weeks away from our departure and learned today that there were printing problems at Regent. A little off topic but some current information coming out of Miami.

Eric -- not disagreeing with you. It is just a slow time on the Regent board right now as evidenced by someone bringing back an old thread with very old news.

People on Cruise Critic (not just here on Regent) are really damned if they do (i.e. do a search, post on the older thread, etc.) and damned if they don't (someone will always say DO A SEARCH FIRST), and it doesn't matter to me if a thread is old or new if the overall topic is current, as this is.

People on Cruise Critic (not just here on Regent) are really damned if they do (i.e. do a search, post on the older thread, etc.) and damned if they don't (someone will always say DO A SEARCH FIRST), and it doesn't matter to me if a thread is old or new if the overall topic is current, as this is.

Just reread this thread and must agree that it is still relevant. It was only the last page that went off topic. There was a thread a few months ago about Regent moving into PCH. There was a long discussion about the pros and cons of the move. This thread was a true comparison of the two lines as of two months ago.

In any case, I am not one to recommend someone to an old thread because things change fairly quickly. If you read a thread more than two months old, there could be discussions of the upcoming Voyager drydock (now completed), the concierge program (changed to exempt Silver and above), etc.

Thanks for reminding us:mad:

someone bringing back an old thread with very old news.

I think you are being a bit mean spirited in your response to Col Wes bringing our attention to Mark Conroy's statement. Though we knew that the Regent offices were moving to Miami, it is reassuring to know that they are being kept separate from Oceania and thus maintaining the different brand.

It was also interesting to know that all of the staff, bar a handful have transferred with them. A sad exception, in my view, is Janet Hodges, a most helpful person.

From my point of view I see Oceania as only being good value-for-money if you book one of the their standard cabins. As soon as you hit the suite categories you might as well sail RSSC, for when you add all the extra costs you would incur the prices come out very similar.

For the smaller cabins they do offer good value though.

On a different note I just wish RSSC would make their cruises less-inclusive, for the one thing that has kept me from sailing with them is the fact that they include many things I know I'm not going to use, so why pay for them ?

I booked a cruise on the Mariner to the Black Sea last year (my travel agent got a great price without half the inclusions normally included) but ended up having to go for business to the USA so changed my cruise to HAL.

For this season RSSC seem to have some very good prices though that makes me want to give them a second look. I might sail Oceania first though.

Either way, hope to be welcomed aboard a Regent ship soon enough.

...In any case, I am not one to recommend someone to an old thread because things change fairly quickly....

I don't think Col. Wes was referring to an old thread; I think he was posting about the recent news article in SeaTrade Insider with additional details about the move, now that remodeling is complete and the move is imminent (Nov 14; the article was posted Nov 7). It was a very timely post by Wes that brought an old subject up to date, and with new information.

Had this been a new thread, it would be understandable. Or, if this had been added to the thread regarding the move it would also make sense. Not sure how this fit into the comparison of Regent and Oceania (nor does earning results). I wonder how many people reading the Regent board miss interesting information because it is tacked on to an older thread that may not hold interest for the reader? Perhaps there should be a sticky thread relating to Regent announcements?

Speaking of news -- Regent has had difficulty getting documents to passengers in a timely manner the past couple of weeks. Not sure what the problem is. Passengers on the November 12th itinerary received their docs. around the 4th of November. We under 3 weeks away from our departure and learned today that there were printing problems at Regent. A little off topic but some current information coming out of Miami.
Our docs for our November 28, 2011 Navigator sailing arrived at our TA's office yesterday, which is just short of three weeks.

I know it probably should be a new thread, but hey, we can be lazy sometimes, can't we?

Anyways, from the earnings results article, I wish I knew what this meant:

Net Cruise Cost, excluding Fuel and Other expense, per APCD decreased 1.7 percent, to $278 in 2011 compared to $283 in 2010, mainly due to decreases in repair and maintenance expense and selling and administrative expense.

Does this mean net cost pp per day, do you think?

I know it probably should be a new thread, but hey, we can be lazy sometimes, can't we?

Anyways, from the earnings results article, I wish I knew what this meant:

Net Cruise Cost, excluding Fuel and Other expense, per APCD decreased 1.7 percent, to $278 in 2011 compared to $283 in 2010, mainly due to decreases in repair and maintenance expense and selling and administrative expense.

Does this mean net cost pp per day, do you think?

Wendy,

There is a definition of APCD at the bottom of the balance sheet. It is the cost per suite per day for full ships. It's really not something that will make any sense to us without knowing what the fuel and other expenses are. Also, since it covers ALL suites on all ships for 365 days/year, it does factor in drydocks, days not full of passengers, etc.

It simply confirms what Mark Conroy said at an on board session several months ago that they need to fill 80% of the suites to break even and everything above that is profit.

Hope this helps,

Dave

It is just a slow time on the Regent board right now as evidenced by someone bringing back an old thread with very old news. Fortunately, there are a lot of CC'ers on the November 20th transatlantic crossing that will be posting soon. Then, a couple of us will be posting from the Middle East on the Voyager.

TC, I just don't understand your comment. What you labeled "old news" was a day-old November 7 article. That article was timely because the new Regent office in Miami opens next week. It was an article from a publication most of us would never have seen. The gist of it -- Regent moving to Miami -- wasn't new news, but there were a few details, like the one sentence I highlighted, which I thought were worth seeing. Yeah, it could have been posted as a new thread as opposed to this one, but why is that something you have to raise controversy about? I don't know whether it's intentional or not, but it comes off that you just find something negative to say about almost everything Col. Wes posts.

In fact, the tone of your note comes across that you're unhappy that there is none of the controversy/angst/complaining filling this Board with as many posts as we've had in some recent months. In fact, there have been posts in more than 30 different threads since the start of the month, with questions and answers/opinions about a wide variety of topics, from choosing cruises, excursions, wines, onboard technology, hotels, cash, onboard tailoring, and more. I, for one, have been enjoying the break from harping on Regent problems or screw-ups and the rancor which filled the forum in recent months.

-- Eric

Eric, excuse me -- but, I must ask if you read what has been posted on this thread today? If not, kindly do so as it deals with off-topic posts (don't really care who makes them). As I said previously (above), adding something that is not on topic to the end of a 2 month old post can easily be missed. I also recommended that CC make a "sticky" thread regarding Regent news since there is a lot of it lately.

There was a thread about the move -- it just wasn't this one.

Your are entitled to your opinions -- but not about me. Let's stay on topic and not make personal comments about who is happy or unhappy about what. There is an old saying about "assumptions". .. .unfortunately I cannot quote it here.

Archived