Which Itinerary is the best for a cruise to Alaska?

Xystence

I think I have narrowed down the fact I will likely travel Princess for this trip, but it looks like there is several various ports of call and what not. Is one better then another? Me and my girlfriend really wanna push for the best of the best in regards to this trip. Is there a better or worse month for this trip to go during the season?

Thank you for your time!

There is really no best itinerary and no best time to go.

In terms of the itinerary decide whether you want to spend time in Alaska on before or after the cruise. If so, that will be a factor in what you decide. If not, consider an inside passage voyage as your first Alaska Cruise.

We have been to Alaska various times of the year and it is always difficult to determine what the weather will be like. Yes, odds are greater that it will be more rainy in late August and September but that doesn't mean it will rain when you go and there are other times where there is less chance but it may still rain. Some people recommend June and July. Upside might be the weather. Downside might be the crowds. Going early and late in the season may mean less crowds but not as nice weather.

I would find dates that work best for you.

Keith

I know that there are many things that can be done. I know that someone mentioned to me once that you could take a train from somewhere to the area the departure port is at. Does anyone have any recommendations about this? Several people have told me to do that.

With your choice of Princess, are you then open to their one way? This certainly would offer you more. Either northbound or southbound- benefits to both, with only a northbound recommendation for May and early Sept. These sailing work best with a two week commitment for Alaska travel which will allow for the opportunity for interior Alaska travel.

most Princess itineraries go to the same ports, Juneau Skagway and Ketchikan. Differences will be the glacier areas. Find out about those differences and determine, what you want to see.

With your "best" reference on weather, it is going to be later May to July- to hedge the bets. There are no guarantees. You do have potentially worse weather going early May and mid Sept and later. A negative of Sept is also far less daylight, with it dark by 7pm Inside Passage. Small possibility however for northern lights. BUT, if those are the priority, then you need to park yourself interior Alaska for several days, not take a cruise. :)

A lot to put together, but do it in steps and avoid the jump on getting into reservations and fixed plans before you have a clear understanding.

I just came back from Diamond Princess going Northbound, and I realized I would rather do Southbound.

Northbound go to Glacier Bay + College Fjord, and Southbound go to Hubbard Glacier + Glacier Bay. After my trip, I realized I much rather have done Hubbard Glacier then College Fjord.

College Fjord is so close to Whittier, that you might be able to squeeze in a boat trip to College Fjord before you get onboard your cruise. If not, then do the tour the day before. Also, College Fjord gave me the same sort of "feeling" and "scenery" as Glacier Bay, so after seeing Glacier Bay, College Fjord felt like "something I'd seen just yesterday". Also, while looking from Google Earth, Hubbard Glacier seems to be this gigantic glacier that provides you something seriously different from the fjord views. I wish I had checked Google Earth before I booked my trip :(

I know exactly what I do next time I go to Alaska cruise :)

I just came back from Diamond Princess going Northbound, and I realized I would rather do Southbound.

Northbound go to Glacier Bay + College Fjord, and Southbound go to Hubbard Glacier + Glacier Bay. After my trip, I realized I much rather have done Hubbard Glacier then College Fjord.

College Fjord is so close to Whittier, that you might be able to squeeze in a boat trip to College Fjord before you get onboard your cruise. If not, then do the tour the day before. Also, College Fjord gave me the same sort of "feeling" and "scenery" as Glacier Bay, so after seeing Glacier Bay, College Fjord felt like "something I'd seen just yesterday". Also, while looking from Google Earth, Hubbard Glacier seems to be this gigantic glacier that provides you something seriously different from the fjord views. I wish I had checked Google Earth before I booked my trip :(

I know exactly what I do next time I go to Alaska cruise :)

I also felt the same way. After seeing Glacier Bay, College Fjords seemed like more of the same. It was still very beautiful and we truly enjoyed it, but if there had been an itinerary with both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay available when I cruised in 2008, I would have jumped on that one. If considering Hubbard, do know that sometimes the ships can't get real close early in the season. I read some reports this year that their ship in June was about 6 miles away. Later in the season you risk getting fogged out. We went to Hubbard this year in August and the ranger told us we got as close to Hubbard as the cruise ships get. (between a quarter and a half mile) However, we met a couple on our cruise who had also done this same cruise in the same time frame last year, and they could not see Hubbard glacier at all because it was fogged in. That is why for my first trip in 2008 I chose an itinerary with Glacier Bay. I was going for glaciers and I would have been disappointed if we could not have gotten to Hubbard and it was the only glacier on my itinerary. You have lots of things to consider. As BQ said, don't jump into firming up plans until you know what you really want.

As far as trains, I am not sure what your friends were referring to. There is a train from Seattle to Vancouver. I understand it is scenic, but not way up there in the ratings.

The train ride is Skagway that you can take as an excursion is considered the most scenic train ride in all of Alaska. It is often listed as one of the top ten train rides in the world. If considering it, I would highly recommend going all the way to Carcross with the stop at Bennett Lake. I went with Chilkoot Tours

There is also another train ride between Seward and Anchorage. This stretch is considered the most scenic stretch in the interior of Alaska. I was in awe as I looked out the windows or went out on the platform. The scenery on both train rides is breathtaking!!! You can't go wrong with either one if scenery is your priority.

One advantage of the NB Princess itinerary is (at least in the past) you had enough time to take the Adventure Bound independent boat tour to Tracy Arm Fjord. Tracy Arm Fjord is an almost surreal setting. We were in the small boat literally crunching our way through the ice to the North Sawyer Glacier. We will never forget it.

One thing you have to realize is you typically can't see and do it all in one trip. Do a bit more research and come up with your priorities for this trip. Then choose a time of year and a ship that will enable you to meet those priorities.

Good luck!! Let us know what you decide.

I know that there are many things that can be done. I know that someone mentioned to me once that you could take a train from somewhere to the area the departure port is at. Does anyone have any recommendations about this? Several people have told me to do that.

I would not recommend the Skageway train. We rented a minivan from Sourdough in Skageway, and I find that by driving, you see pretty much the same thing as the trains, plus the added bonus of flexibility to stop at anytime to take pictures, plus its SO MUCH cheaper then trains.

Also, on the day we got to Skageway, because it had been raining for 3 days before, the canyon had been completely fogged in that morning. So if you took a train that day from Skageway to Fraser, you can't see anything anyway, and just wasted a ton of money.

I would highly recommend renting a car in Skageway, you will be glad you did.

I would not recommend the Skageway train. We rented a minivan from Sourdough in Skageway, and I find that by driving, you see pretty much the same thing as the trains, plus the added bonus of flexibility to stop at anytime to take pictures, plus its SO MUCH cheaper then trains.

Also, on the day we got to Skageway, because it had been raining for 3 days before, the canyon had been completely fogged in that morning. So if you took a train that day from Skageway to Fraser, you can't see anything anyway, and just wasted a ton of money.

Since you have not been on the train, you really can't say what you missed. If someone is on a budget, then yes, the car is a wonderful option. Although some of the scenery is duplicated by the train, you will see a lot of different scenery also. For someone who is all about scenery the train/mini bus tour that Chilkoot offers is a great choice. On our minibus drive back down, we had numerous stops and the driver knew where the best places to stop were. We might have driven right by some of the places he knew would have great views. Also we were free to ask our driver to stop when we saw something we wanted to see. Granted, we could not stop for any great length of time, but I will see our driver never rushed anyone at our stops. Lots of choices, which is great!!

Everyone is entitled to there opinions, but frankly I wouldn't think of visiting Skagway and not taking the WP&YR for at least part of the journey. The WP&YR is steeped in history and the number one attraction in Alaska, it really shouldn't be missed.

Did you take the train? You are wrong, on your "see pretty much the same thing" comment. The Train has different, superior scenery, and only a couple miles are the "same" with the Klondike Highway. The Lake Bennett train is just excellent, for those with the interest, and NO other access besides the train.

Is the train you are referring to the one from Anchorage to Whittier? We will be doing that next September, and have heard many good reports about it.

We did a lot of research before deciding on a North to South itinerary. We wanted a one-way, which gave us good glacier-time, and also followed the inside-passage. The ship, and having some sea time were also important to us.

My advice is to decide what aspects are most important to you, do lots of reading here, and ask lots of questions. Other posters were very helpful in providing advice and information.

Is the train you are referring to the one from Anchorage to Whittier? We will be doing that next September, and have heard many good reports about it.

No the reference is to the White Pass RR. There is no "advantage" to the Anchorage/Whittier train, it goes right along the Seward Highway, with the exact same scenery. The clear stand out is Anchorage/Seward with the train having superior scenery compared to the Seward Highway.

Anchorage to/from either Whittier or Seward is a great choice for a ship transfer.

Archived