Taxi or Cruise Transfer....

time4sun

We will be flying into Barcelona the morning of our cruise on RCCL and wondering which is a better choice $$ wise???

We just returned from doing this exact same thing..we got our luggage and in less than a few minutes we were in a taxi heading for the port (30-35 Euro inc tip)..We were walking onto the ship just before 11:00am...Transfers would cost more and you would have had to wait until their time frame to depart the airport..Go with the taxi..you'll be glad you did...

I agree that taxi is the best overall solution usually. Make sure they use the meter, but be aware that there will be a few "flat rate" supplements added to the distance/time-based fare. I think the current supplements added on are 3.10 euro for airport pickup/dropoff , 2.10 euro for cruise port pickup/dropoff, and 1 euro per bag. These amounts will be added to your fare (or on the meter when you start out (I can't remember)). But in general, I think this still makes it a more flexible solution than waiting around for a cruise line transfer. I seem to recall our total fare being in the 35 euro range for all 3 of us and our 3 bags.

• 3 weeks later...

You are arriving and heading straight to the port without seeing a most facinating world city :( I hadnt realized that. I was going to recommend the shuttle that goes from the airport for 5,30 Euro that takes you to the middle of Barcelona's most entertaining district "placa Catalunya" as there is so much to see. Taxis charge for your luggage after you arrive , it is not going to be shown on the meter until you arrive to the ship. Its a fast ride its true, there is really no other way.

30 some cruises later I never ever use anything from the ships, there are far more interesting and less expensive ways of getting around that enable you to see more than the inside of a tour bus that could be anywhere in the world...but thats just me !

We just did this too. I can tell you that our taxi ride from the port to the airport couldn't have been 20 min. It was just two of us and two large bags. There was a fee on the meter when we got in and more added to the meter after we arrived. The total was 36.75 euros ~ $52. The ship transfer was $30 per person. Taxi was much easier. We also chose the very easy walk off with your own bags option on NCL and it was a breeze.

We'll be flying in to Barcelona pre-cruise next year. Approximately how far is it from the Barcelona airport to the cruise terminal? We've visited Barcelona once as a port (one-day) on a previous cruise, but have never originated a cruise from there.

We'll be flying in to Barcelona pre-cruise next year. Approximately how far is it from the Barcelona airport to the cruise terminal? We've visited Barcelona once as a port (one-day) on a previous cruise, but have never originated a cruise from there.

Approx 20 min..depending on traffic (the back up can be the bridge) For our RCI cruise we landed at 8:55am the wait was for our luggage..taxi line only took 5-10 min..We arrived at the ship at 11:00am no traffic and got right onboard...Later we noticed a lot of traffic on the bridge backed up ..Taxi ride approx total 35 Euro for the 2 of us and 3 bags..Enjoy !!!

We took two cruises out of Barcelona and used RCCL's transfers as we did not want to take a chance in a foreign country not carry a lot of euros. Keep in mind that RCL transfers are in $ and not in Euros.

• 2 months later...
You are arriving and heading straight to the port without seeing a most facinating world city :( I hadnt realized that. I was going to recommend the shuttle that goes from the airport for 5,30 Euro that takes you to the middle of Barcelona's most entertaining district "placa Catalunya" as there is so much to see. Taxis charge for your luggage after you arrive , it is not going to be shown on the meter until you arrive to the ship. Its a fast ride its true, there is really no other way.

30 some cruises later I never ever use anything from the ships, there are far more interesting and less expensive ways of getting around that enable you to see more than the inside of a tour bus that could be anywhere in the world...but thats just me !

Totally agree. If you're already in Barcelona, there's a port bus for €2 that drops you right at the ship and leaves from the water side of the Columbus statue at the foot of Las Ramblas.

We spent three days in Barcelona and never used either a ship transfer or a taxi. Train into town, Metro around town, and the port bus to the ship.

Totally agree. If you're already in Barcelona, there's a port bus for €2 that drops you right at the ship and leaves from the water side of the Columbus statue at the foot of Las Ramblas.

We spent three days in Barcelona and never used either a ship transfer or a taxi. Train into town, Metro around town, and the port bus to the ship.

Hi Scottbee

Is the 'port bus' a regular local service between the Colombus statue and the port - if so do you know how frequent the service is?

Many thanks for your help

Lets put this issue in simple perspective. If you are taking a taxi here is what will happen. You will retreive your luggage, go through customs and Immigration and you then have a short walk outsie the modern terminal where there is a well organized taxi queue. The taxis can easily handle a couple with luggage so you will simply get in the next taxi in the queue (just like at most other airports) and they will drive you directly to the port (about 20 min) where you will pay the driver approximately 30 Euros (about $40). If you want to take a cruise line transfer you will pay whatever they charge (per person) which will be more then the taxi and you will likely have to wait at the terminal until they get a enough passengers to fill the van (or bus). Bottom line is that you will probably be at the port in your taxi while others that landed at the same time will still be standing around the airport terminal. Keep in mind that the taxis expect payment in Euros...so if you do not have Euros you should get them at one of the airport ATMs. Some of the taxis do take credit cards....but if you plan on using plastic make sure you check with your driver to make sure he will accept this form of payment.

Hank

Hi Scottbee

Is the 'port bus' a regular local service between the Colombus statue and the port - if so do you know how frequent the service is?

Many thanks for your help

it's a regular service, every 20-30 minutes. The locals know it as the "blue port bus"; http://www.portdebarcelona.es/en/web/Port%20del%20Ciudada/cruceros

it's not from the road that goes around the statue, but on the little access road a little closer to the water (it's pretty obvious when you get there).

• 3 weeks later...

We are arriving the morning of our departure also but would love to get checked in at the ship, drop off our luggage and get off to see some of Barcelona. Our flight lands at 940. Is this feasible? Would we need to take another taxi from the ship?

We are arriving the morning of our departure also but would love to get checked in at the ship, drop off our luggage and get off to see some of Barcelona. Our flight lands at 940. Is this feasible? Would we need to take another taxi from the ship?

See my note (and link) about the port bus, which will take you from the port, back to the bottom of Las Ramblas for €2

Archived