Would you use a local Travel Agent to help the local economy?

GrumpaTom

Would you consider using a local Travel Agent to help the local encomy?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider using a local Travel Agent to help the local encomy?

• No - I always book directly with the Cruise Line
    • No - I prefer to do things myself
    • Maybe - I had not thought that my purchase could help the local economy
    • Yes - If the local TA could match or improve the pricing
    • Yes - I already use a local TA for that or other reasons

I have seen a lot of posts bashing Travel Agents and just wondered if this would affect anyones decision in purchasing a cruise directly from the cruise line, from an online Travel Agency, or from a Local Travel Agent (Most are now home businesses now.)

Since Travel Agencies get the same prices and specials as the Cruise Lines post and sometimes can improve upon a price by slipping someone in via Group Booking or other unpublished specials, would you consider using a local Travel Agent if you realized that a portion (Around 10-17%) of your cruise fare would remain in your local economy rather then just helping the economies in the Headquarters and Cruise Operation locations?

I have seen a lot of posts bashing Travel Agents and just wondered if this would affect anyones decision in purchasing a cruise directly from the cruise line, from an online Travel Agency, or from a Local Travel Agent (Most are now home businesses now.)

Since Travel Agencies get the same prices and specials as the Cruise Lines post and sometimes can improve upon a price by slipping someone in via Group Booking or other unpublished specials, would you consider using a local Travel Agent if you realized that a portion (Around 10-17%) of your cruise fare would remain in your local economy rather then just helping the economies in the Headquarters and Cruise Operation locations?

I used a local TA for years. and then she retired. i tried two different agents here and I told them what to do!:eek:

Unfortunately prices are not the same (at least not here) for bricks and mortat TA and on line TA. The prices are not the same. (Or they are and they give you a 10% obc and othr perks) I'm talking at least 10 to 15%.

And I get just as good, if not better service (mind you I know what I want). so, if the local TA WILL not give me personalized service why not?

I'm all for supporting my economy - I do it all the time - pay more perhaps but I get SERVICE. if you have a good TA, absolutely, I never checked on line until mine retired.

It just depends, if you have good service, I'd stay with my TA, but if I am doing the work, then no! I'll support my local economy in other ways.

good TA's are far and few between. if you have one, hold them close and never, ever let them go ;)

My most handy local travel agencies closed up shop. Didn't even offer long time customers a referral to another agency.

No one has moved into the area to do business.

Therefore I book with a Famous Travel Agency in another state that has done wonderful work for me and for my family.

The problem is that most of the time there price is high.

Also, one of the problems i noticed in my neighborhood is that nearly all of the local travel agency only do vacation packages or air plane traveling. They are unable to do any kind of cruise vacation bookings.

I always use my local TA. She beats the fares offered direct by the cruise line, and if she's forbidden by cruise line policy, offers other booking incentives. I don't bother her with non-commissionable things like airfare though. Cruise lines don't offer you any incentive to "cut out the middle man", so I figure some of my money might as well stay home.

We use a Brick & Mortar TA - but they are in a different state. I guess we help a local economy, just not ours. When you find a GREAT TA you stick with them - even if you move.

Our most recent cruise was on Disney. Since we used our Disney points for it, we had to go through them instead of our TA. What a PITA. I don't get why people think they have more "control" if they do things themselves. But it is their vacation, their time, their money, not ours. I'm glad that we can can go back to our usual TA who is an advocate for us.

It never occurred to me that using a travel agent once a year or less (about how often I travel) would "support the local economy"! But I do use one if my travel involves out of country stops. I like having the peace of mind of having a back-up plan if original plans go awry. She's been really helpful in the past; I'll use her again.

IF I use a TA( and have done so in the past but have done just as many if not more dealing direct) it will have NOTHING to to do keeping the local economy stimulated.

since rarely have I found any TA willing to offer incentives or perks any more, there is no reason to use one. AAA will find you their best deal and we have used their in house TAs more than once. but I also notice, or it seems to be our luck that AAA gets us category upgrades and minimal OBC( lately it has been book lowest category verandah, auto upgrade to highest category verandah type deals. which basically means.. different deck. )

I do use an internet only one for Disney as they will contact you with price adjustments downward and I don't have to keep an eye on things myself. this is especially nice when Dis releases military rates on cruises.

I tried to book with a travel agency right down the street from my son's school for our upcoming cruise...

48 hours w/o a call back for one of those rarer rooms on a ship was my limit sorry! This was booking our first "family" vacation. By family I mean just my DH and 2 DS's... all our other vacations have been with my mother and grandmother, and my mother has always done everything. :)

I like supporting local businesses, but to be honest, for services, I get screwed more than not when trying. Last cruise we took, I hired someone to come pet sit my cats and come check on them every day. I was told to contact him 1 month before (I contacted him 3 months before because it was in the middle of July) for him to come and meet the cats and get their paperwork. Emailed him, waited.. emailed him again... called him and got the message "We are closed starting next week until further notice". Who knows WHEN he closed.. or why he didn't contact anyone planing on using him!!

I do love my local grocery store (not a big chain, just our area of the world), and my Lawn Goat! Yeah... he calls himself the Lawn Goat. Very nice man I am happy to pay monthly to cut my lawn for 15 mins so I don't have to :)

Archived