First transatlantic coming up - a couple of questions

Scott1sh

Hi folks,

It is with much anticipation that I have booked my first transatlantic crossing from Soton to NYC in November. Previous voyages have been with much smaller lines - (the now defunct) Windjammer, and Silversea: both memorable yet very different experiences.

So, this will be my first voyage on such a large vessel, and I am hoping that some old-timers could help with a couple of questions.

1. I am travelling with an old school friend. Although we are sharing a cabin, we will do our best to keep our finances separate. Will it be possible to run two separate accounts even if we are staying in the same cabin?

2. I'd like to make the most of the exercise classes that are on offer. I have managed to find some daily schedules from previous crossings, and note that most classes state that "a fitness pass is required". Can anyone advise on the costs for this?

Thanks in advance for your help with my enquiries. I'll no doubt think of a few more before departure date. Also, if you have any questions about Silversea, just let me know!

1. Yes, you can each have a separate account. When you check in and get your key card, tell the agent that 'your' account is on XXX card and your friend will give their card and it will linked to their key card. Easy Peasy!

2. Can't help you, if I want exercise I just walk the promenade deck....;) The exercise machines are no charge, so if you like stationary bikes or treadmills feel free to walk in, make sure you have gym shoes on.

From the Canyon Ranch Fitness Schedule, 15 August voyage (random use of capitalization and quotes intact):

"Sign-Up" for all classes at the Canyon Ranch Fitness Desk on deck 7 is mandatory in order to attend.

Classes denoted ($) are "Specialty classes" for which there is a Structured Fee. Daily pass is $15 or Full voyage pass is $50.

PLEASE PURCHASE A FITNESS PASS FOR THESE CLASSES FROM CANYON RANCH RECEPTION DESK.

The so called "Fitness Desk" is a little table in a corner opposite the Spa reception desk.

Be very aware that purchasing the full voyage pass is no guarantee of admission to classes which fill up within moments of the full days sign-up sheets being posted sometime before 8:00. Many classes hold as few as eight persons.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Scott1sh. Ask away - someone here will have the answers to your questions, and have a great time on QM2. As others have said - you can get plenty of exercise without having to do classes - power walking round the decks, sports (golf, basketball etc) , the gym ....

Welcome to the Cunard board Scott1sh, how brilliant that you have booked your first TA. QM2 is an amazing liner, you will have a wonderful time.

I can still remember our first TA nearly 2 years ago now. I had so much fun just planning what I was going to take to wear.

Be warned travelling on QM2 is very addictive, in a nice way. I caught the bug from the moment I stepped on board.

This site helped me alot when I needed some advice about being on board.

Hope you enjoy your first experience and let us know what you think when you get back.

Catherine

Hi Scottish

I only live a few miles away in Bathgate --- QM2 is due in South Queensferry on Sunday - you would get a great view of her passing Leith etc.

Have a lovely time on your TA and be prepared to be well and truly "hooked"

hHi folks, thanks all for your quick replies. If I buy the one-week fitness pass, does that give me any access (or concession) to a day pass for the Spa? If not, do I need to pay for that in addition? The $50 deal sounds like good value for money, but I would be disappointed if it consequently transpired that all classes were full: the prospect of getting up before 8am just to sign up doesn't overly appeal to me.

Norine - thanks for the heads-up re South Queensferry; I'll definitely pop along for a nosey...if I get any good photos I'll be sure to post them.

Hawes Inn is going strong and very popular. We will be popping in on Sunday when we go along to see QM2. When I was on board a couple of weeks ago I met an American gentleman travelling on his own and not sure how to spend his time whilst in South Queensferry as he did not wish to take a tour and so guess where I suggested he have lunch? Straight across from the tender station, couldn't be more convenient or pleasant with a lot of history.

I would recommend visiting the Canyon Ranch Spa early on sailing day. They hold open house and have 2 or 3 desks set up in addition to the regular one in the lobby area manned and ready to give out information and make bookings. I traveled with a friend a few years ago who was into fitness and he went to a class every day. I believe the class was held on deck 1. He was very pleased with the instructor and nominated her for employee of the voyage (or whatever they call it on cards handed out near the end of the sailing) As someone has already mentioned, classes are quite small but the people in the class got a full workout. I always buy a Spa pass that lets me splash around in the spa pool, jaccuzi, steam room etc. As I recall, the cost last November for five visits was $95. One thing that may seem odd, but I will mention it anyway! The seas were quite rough the first two days out last November, but I lost any sensation of ship movement when in the spa pool (even though the water was splashing around quite a bit in t he pool) and it was a great break from worrying about getting seasick. I am booked on the 12/12 T/A so for sure will be getting another spa pass in case of rough seas. Have a wonderful voyage. You should have a fantastic time.

I remember as a wee girl going across on the Ferry, it alway scared me a little as I thought the car would slide into the water.

Yes, that's exactly how I felt about it as well. When I was at school in Dollar and the new road bridge was being constructed we knew someone from the village who worked for the construction firm. He arranged for us to go for a nice wee boat trip out to Inchcolm on the safety boat. We weren't far past the railway bridge when a big gale blew up and we had a fairly torrid time getting back to S Queensferry. It was genuinely quite frightening and, as soon as we were all ashore again, the adults all retired to the Hawse Inn with considerable rapidity where considerable quantities of restorative alcohol were consumed.

It could easily have put me off boats for life - fortunately Cunard straightened my ideas out some 50 years later! :D:D:D

J

My uncle worked on the building of the road bridge and for years I thought he had built it himself. I was later told that he took my father up to the top in an elevator. We attended the opening of the bridge which I do remember - and now every time I cross it - what do you think goes through my mind - fond memories - no - I keep thinking I can hear one of the interior cables go ping!! Such is life!

Pub Quiz question - do you remember the names of the four ferries?

My uncle worked on the building of the road bridge and for years I thought he had built it himself. I was later told that he took my father up to the top in an elevator. We attended the opening of the bridge which I do remember - and now every time I cross it - what do you think goes through my mind - fond memories - no - I keep thinking I can hear one of the interior cables go ping!! Such is life!

Pub Quiz question - do you remember the names of the four ferries?

I remember Queen Margaret and Mary Queen of Scots. I think one of the other two was Robert the Bruce, but hanged if I can remember the fourth one.

J

• 3 weeks later...

So....having seen the QM2 at South Queensferry a couple of weeks ago, I'm now literally counting the days until our TA on the 10th November.

Our GTY cabin has already been assigned, and we have booked our travel to Southampton. So, needless to say, I have a few more questions for the experts.

1. Our e-ticket advises we should check in at 3pm. We will be arriving in SOTON at 11am. Should we chance our luck and head straight to the ship with a view to getting on for lunch, or should we make other arrangements landside?

2. We are thinking about purchasing a 3 day pass to the Canyon Ranch Spa. Do you know if we have to use these days consecutively or can we have a day on / day off?

Sorry again for the run of questions. Hopefully one day I will have had enough experience to reciprocate the favour...

So....having seen the QM2 at South Queensferry a couple of weeks ago, I'm now literally counting the days until our TA on the 10th November. Our GTY cabin has already been assigned, and we have booked our travel to Southampton. So, needless to say, I have a few more questions for the experts.

1. Our e-ticket advises we should check in at 3pm. We will be arriving in SOTON at 11am. Should we chance our luck and head straight to the ship with a view to getting on for lunch, or should we make other arrangements landside?

Hi,

When you arrive at Southampton go straight to the terminal, chances are they will start boarding 12/12.30 (I usually arrive at the terminal around 11.20). You'll be at the front of the queue. As soon as you board, drop your "carry-on" bags at your cabin, enjoy lunch before the majority of passengers board, and then explore...

2. We are thinking about purchasing a 3 day pass to the Canyon Ranch Spa. Do you know if we have to use these days consecutively or can we have a day on / day off?

I've used my passes as and when I've felt like it during my crossings/cruises. My parents thought the spa was a highlight of their voyages, as did I of mine.

There are many photos of QM2's public rooms, Britannia grade cabins, crossings/cruises and a "tour" via the link below. I hope you like the pictures.

Have a great time, Bon Voyage!

thanks Pepper, I appreciate your quick response. Do you know where we can have lunch on embarkation day?

Hi

If you're a "Britannia Grade" passenger, in the Kings Court on Deck 7.

If you're a "Grill" grade passenger, then in the Princess or Queens Grill, also on Deck 7.

Please ask if you've further questions, Bon Voyage!

If you're thinking of getting a 3 day spa pass, please reconsider and get one for your entire voyage instead. You won't regret it! This spa pass is the one thing I have repeated every time I've been aboard QM2.

Hi folks,

It is with much anticipation that I have booked my first transatlantic crossing from Soton to NYC in November. quote]

Scottish,

I think you will really like the QM2. Please click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30509507&postcount=225 for information on viewing a video of an eastbound crossing in August. This will give you a little taste of what's in store

As others have said, a few miles around the promenade deck each day will provide some exercise .

Enjoy you cruise,

Ron

Archived