Markets in NZ ports?

aussie57

Hi everyone. When we cruised NZ in 2007 there were heaps of market stalls in Cathedral Square in Christchurch & I got some great bargains eg possum wool socks at a fraction of the price being charged by the commercial souvenir retailers. Obviously those markets won't be operational but I was wondering if any of you that have cruised NZ recently know of similar markets in any other NZ ports. We are going to Bay of Islands, Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Akaroa & Dunedin.

I did get to the Victoria Park Markets in Auckland on 2 consecutive days as we stayed overnight before the cruise & on the Sunday they were great but when I raced back on the Monday morning most stalls from the previous day were gone.

Thanks in advance

Over the years Victoria Park Market became a ghost town with more and more stalls disappearing. It is now in the process of being turned into a shopping and restaurant precinct, but this is not due for completion until next year.

There are some pretty good local markets in suburbs spread around Auckland, but these are only on a Saturday or a Sunday. The same would apply to some of the other places you are visiting, so perhaps if you told us what locations you will be visiting on the weekend, we might be able to be of more help.

Over the years Victoria Park Market became a ghost town with more and more stalls disappearing. It is now in the process of being turned into a shopping and restaurant precinct, but this is not due for completion until next year.

There are some pretty good local markets in suburbs spread around Auckland, but these are only on a Saturday or a Sunday. The same would apply to some of the other places you are visiting, so perhaps if you told us what locations you will be visiting on the weekend, we might be able to be of more help.

Thanks Oskar

We are in Wellington on a Saturday & Akaroa on Sunday. All other ports are weekdays.

Hiya,

Good timing for Wellington on a Saturday - check out http://www.wellingtonnz.com/shopping/wellington_underground_market

On Sundays, there's an outstanding food and fresh market on the waterfront - http://www.wellingtonnz.com/shopping/city_market

And overall, Wellington is pretty darn good for shopping anyhows!

Enjoy your stay,

Last year when we were in Dunedin (30th Dec from memory) there was a market in the Octagon there was a Arts and Crafts Market. Right where the shuttle buses arrive and depart from.

In talking to one of the stall owners I got the impression they were there for the Cruise Ship, not because of what day it was. I found a nice necklace and earring set. A lot of NZ type crafts at very reasonable prices. Most of the stalls were run by small independent operators.

We were on the Volendam last year, the day that the ship visited the Bay of Islands, there were several interesting market stalls set up on the village green in Pahia.

Thanks to you too erewhon. Wow! It's starting to look like my market hunger will be satisfied :D

18paihia2.jpg

If the locals set up a market , it will be in the Domain.There are many cruise ship calls during the season and they seem to set one up for each visit.

Thank you for posting the photo.

The shuttle bus stopped across the street from the Domain/Village Green, outside the building with the red roof, labelled "Fullers Great Sights Bay of Islands".

Fortunately, the stall holders displayed their goods in tents, as there were a couple of rain showers while we were there.

Archived