Balconies on Marina

nedward

I wondered the same thing when I booked our cruise on Marina next Feb & the general response was that they are bigger but they are long & narrow & have a wind tunnel effect & very restricted views because of the high sides. On the basis of that we chose to book one of the standard size ones although I have also seen posts from people who booked the larger ones & liked them !

Thanks for the posts and pictures. I know it is personal choice, but would you go with the deeper balcony (and possible wind tunnel) or the standard balcony?

Thanks!

No wind tunnel, you can move the chairs closer to the rail if you want to be in the open more

I would go with the larger balcony again but also the smaller one is fine

If you have friends there is more room on the larger balcony just no more chairs ;)

Lyn

Thanks for the posts and pictures. I know it is personal choice, but would you go with the deeper balcony (and possible wind tunnel) or the standard balcony?

Thanks!

If you take the FIRST of those cabins with deeper balcony on either side (I believe they are 7008 & 7009 in aft section or 7108 & 7111 forward) you will have a clear view forward or backward without the dividing wall.

If you take the FIRST of those cabins with deeper balcony on either side (I believe they are 7008 & 7009 in aft section or 7108 & 7111 forward) you will have a clear view forward or backward without the dividing wall.

What about noise from Main Dining Room and lifeboats one level down?

Thx, Ned

Thx, Ned

Paul was next door to us but I heard nothing from the GDR not sure about those 2 cabins Paul mentioned.

the ones overlooking the lifeboats

Maybe Don will post... he had one of them

Lyn

Hi! I am looking at the deck plan for the Marina. The balconies in the aft on Deck 7 (B4) appear larger than the standard balconies. Can anyone confirm that has been in one of these cabins?

Thanks!

We did not stay in one of these cabins, but had one booked until we read about the tunnel vision feel when in the room and when you do go out to the rail, the people on the deck above you can look down on you. We did not think we would be happy with that, so we called our TA and asked to be changed to one of the regular veranda cabins.

Thx, Ned

We were not bothered by either the noise nor the lifeboats. If I ever got one of those B4s again, I would go for the ones I mentioned as they give unobstructed view forward (or backward) - depending on where they are. Otherwise, I would probably not get one of the other "larger" balconied B4s.

We were in 7115 on the Marina which has an extended balcony. We booked again in 7115 for the Riviera next June. We liked the xtra depth. If you want to be closer to the rail you can move the deck furniture. You will have people above that can look down but we noticed that no one was above us looking down unless it was sail in or sail out time. I really didn't notice the wind.

We heard no noise from the GDR. The only noise we heard were ship thruster noise and you hear that everywhere.

We were on 'the balcony above' on our recent Marina Cruise -8137. We had a very clear view of the extended balcony below us and felt they had very little privacy. The same was true of the balconies to either side of the one below, we could see right into them.

Paul was next door to us but I heard nothing from the GDR not sure about those 2 cabins Paul mentioned.

the ones overlooking the lifeboats

Maybe Don will post... he had one of them

Lyn

Hi Lyn. How are you and Mike doing?

Back to this thread. We were in room 7125 (B4) and loved it. Although the weather was pretty chilly, I still sat on the veranda and moved my chairs right up to the rail to watch the world go by. There was so much controvery about tunnel vision and lack of privacy on B4 verandas on these boards, that I was tempted to change the room weeks before we boarded. Glad I didn't. I was also concerned about noise from the MDR, I am a very light sleeper. Never heard a sound. We booked the same room for next June's Barcelona to Lisbon cruise. Lyn....are you with us :D

Ronnie

• 3 months later...
Hi Lyn. How are you and Mike doing?

Back to this thread. We were in room 7125 (B4) and loved it. Although the weather was pretty chilly, I still sat on the veranda and moved my chairs right up to the rail to watch the world go by. There was so much controvery about tunnel vision and lack of privacy on B4 verandas on these boards, that I was tempted to change the room weeks before we boarded. Glad I didn't. I was also concerned about noise from the MDR, I am a very light sleeper. Never heard a sound. We booked the same room for next June's Barcelona to Lisbon cruise. Lyn....are you with us :D

Ronnie

We are thinking of booking Marina's 7129 (even more aft than yours) for a northern Atlantic crossing in mid-May. Have you experience extra bumpiness back there on a crossing (compared with a more central 7th-deck location)?

THANKS A MILLION!

DrFun - MaryLou, Just checking this thread since Marianne and I will be sailing in one of these cabins - 7126 - on our Baltic cruise (8/21/12 out of Stockholm) and saw your post. We sailed with you on the Oosterdam several years ago out of Rome. We were one deck above you in those lovely deluxe vernda suites.

Hope all is well with you, and you are both healthy. Have a great New Year, and enjoy your TA cruise.

Donna

DrFun - MaryLou, Just checking this thread since Marianne and I will be sailing in one of these cabins - 7126 - on our Baltic cruise (8/21/12 out of Stockholm) and saw your post. We sailed with you on the Oosterdam several years ago out of Rome. We were one deck above you in those lovely deluxe vernda suites.

Hope all is well with you, and you are both healthy. Have a great New Year, and enjoy your TA cruise.

Donna

How lovely to hear from you, dear Donna!! David and I have actually been thinking fondly of you--as we celebrated New Year's Eve and our January 2nd anniversary back on the Oosterdam (AND we've also recently been reviewing our photos of our saiing with you and Marianne--when you and we had those fabulous aft corner huge suites; it was the May-June 2009 Barcelona to Venice cruise with a port-call at Civitavechhia).

I'll email you off-board. Are you still at your yahoo address?

Happy New Year,

Mary-Lou (& Dave)

• 3 months later...

DrFun - We are booked in one of the aft corner penthouses (7130) and would dearly love to hear more about, or see photos of, your stay in that stateroom. It's our very first time on Oceania and our TA was concerned that we wanted to stay in the aft PH rather than in one located on a much higher deck. But we saw those balconies and thought it'd be worth it -- is it?

Thanks so much for any insight you could provide. :)

DrFun - We are booked in one of the aft corner penthouses (7130) and would dearly love to hear more about, or see photos of, your stay in that stateroom. It's our very first time on Oceania and our TA was concerned that we wanted to stay in the aft PH rather than in one located on a much higher deck. But we saw those balconies and thought it'd be worth it -- is it?

We were in 7135, the other PH3 corner, on Marina's transatlantic in March and we loved it. Note that the room is about 2 feet narrower than other PH's which makes the walk in closet narrower but it was not a problem for us. The area between the built ins at the foot of the bed and the table and chairs at the foot of the bed is a little tight but again it was not a problem for us. Sometimes my husband had to squeeze by me while I was putting on my makeup at the vanity but it didn't bother him. You will feel and hear the vibration of the thrusters as we dock but I believe that that is felt throughout most of the ship. Upon arrival into Barcelona our last morning, my husband just slept through the noise and vibration so it is something you will probably become accustom to.

We had one lounge chair on our deck along with the regular 2 chairs and table when we arrived. We asked our butler for another lounge chair and had one within a couple of hours.

We had a cabin crawl on our cruise and had our room available for others to see. After the crawl everyone just kept telling us that we had by the far the nicest cabin and there was an Oceania Suite on deck 12 and a Vista Suite on deck 10 also on the crawl so I think that says a lot. I know for a fact that one couple contacted their travel agent immediately upon arrival into a port with internet and changed their cabin for their next 2 cruises to this room.

Be forewarned that it is a long walk from the aft to the bow but just think of it as exercise.

I do have some pictures but will need my husband to show me how to post them. Look for them later, perhaps today.

We are also booked in 7135 for Riviera's maiden voyage in just 3 weeks so needless to say we loved it.

Cenia

Here are some interior pictures of PH3 aft on Marina.

IMG_7785.jpg

IMG_7787.jpg

Here you can see how close the table is to the vanity area. This is due to the smaller size footprint of the cabin.

IMG_7788.jpg

Here you can see that the walk in closet is smaller than the usual PH closets.

IMG_7791.jpg

We booked a B4 guarantee on the Marina's Tahiti sailing next January. We were assigned cabin 7111. I was glad to read your posts about the larger balcony with the unobstructed view. If people want to look down at us -- we will happily wave back.;)

@CAG - Thank you so much for posting those photos! I truly appreciate it. I am even more excited now about having booked this cabin. We don't spend very much time inside the cabin and I've never been on a cruise with a walk-in closet before, so I don't think the smaller cabin space will bother me.

My TA said that they've removed that arched wall on the balcony on the new Riviera. I hope that information turns out to be true, not that the arched doorway is a big deal.

Again, thank you so much for all of the photos. Very much appreciated.

~Donna

@CAG - Thank you so much for posting those photos! I truly appreciate it. I am even more excited now about having booked this cabin. We don't spend very much time inside the cabin and I've never been on a cruise with a walk-in closet before, so I don't think the smaller cabin space will bother me.

My TA said that they've removed that arched wall on the balcony on the new Riviera. I hope that information turns out to be true, not that the arched doorway is a big deal.

Again, thank you so much for all of the photos. Very much appreciated.

~Donna

Unfortunately, your Travel Agent appears to be misinformed:

180543.jpg The doorway is there, you can see it here on the veranda of 7135.

Dear Donna:

I'm so sorry that I can't provide helpful input, as our aft corner deluxe suite with huge wrap-around balcony was on Holland America's Oosterdam sailing from BCN-VEN (as I noted in my post below with the other Donna, who was also in an aft corner deluxe suite one deck above us on that sailing with us). We all LOVED them! :D In fact, we booked one on O's sister ship Noordam next month for a TA from FLL to Rome. (I CAN tell you that I personally find a LOWER deck is preferable on a crossing, as it's a little smoother when the seas get bumpy.)

However, our May-June 2013 sailing on Marina from NYC to Southampton will be our FIRST on Oceania--so, like you, we're seeking info here. ;) Sadly, although we booked Marina in March (14 months out) both 7th deck aft corners were already taken, though I guess we should feel fortunate to have snagged the one of the PHs right ahead of them (7133), as now all suites are waiting list only.

Meantime, I see that Cenia has posted great info and photos of 7130.

Does anyone have info and/or photos of 7133 or 7128? I'm just a little concerned about the loooooong balcony, which is great AS a balcony but I'm wondering if it makes the stateroom dark and/or diminished the view?

Also wish we'd gotten the PORT side for this northern route crossing. Any input from anyone who's done that crossing (as ours have been the southern route)?

Thanks!

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

Archived