Voltage converter/transformer

nittany lion fan

No, you should only need an adaptor plug. The converter is only for devices without the capacity to handle 220 current (and your device states that it does have that capacity).

One thing to be aware of when purchasing adaptor plugs -- if your device has 3 prongs (grounded), make sure the adaptor you purchase will accept 3 prongs. Also, some older adaptor plugs do not accept the plugs that have one prong larger than the other.

Just check to make sure everything can be plugged in before you leave home. At worst, a good many hotels also have some adaptor plugs they will loan to guests.

I am totally confused. I have an e-reader (pandigital)with internet capability that says will work 110 - 230 V. What do I need? I went on a website for an adapter -it said it could not be used with a computer.

Do I need a transformer?

Where are you going to be? The ships have 120V 60 cycle and same plugs as home. Some European countries are different as is Great Britain. You only need an adapter. You can always get one in the airport when you arrive http://goitaly.about.com/od/travelpackingtips/l/bl_electricity_italy.htm

I am totally confused. I have an e-reader (pandigital)with internet capability that says will work 110 - 230 V. What do I need? I went on a website for an adapter -it said it could not be used with a computer.

Do I need a transformer?

Defintion:

Transformer(Coverter): Changes Voltage from European Standard of 230v to the Norther American standard of 110volts ($30 and up)

Adaptor: Just changes the two flat prongs into the two round pins that mainland Europe uses. ($2)

If your power supply for your ereader says "100-240v" the power supply is autoranging, and you just need an adaptor.

Walmart (amongst the suitcases) or any dollar/drug store should have adaptors for a couple of bucks

You're looking for something like this:

plug_adapter_euro_lg.jpg

How do we know what we need?

I am going to be in Spain three days before/after this and want to be able to charge my IPAD and camera. How do i know what pieces i need?

So confused.

I just returned from Spain with my iPad, iPhone and my mac... and also my camera. ALL I needed was an adapter. You will not need a converter. A converter really is a waste since most of the things that need a converter, won't work worth a crap with one i.e. hair straighteners, blowdryers, and curling irons.

I got a nice, multiple type adapter at Sharper Image.

We do a fair bit of travelling and invested in a complete set of adaptors along with a 110/220 converter. While most electronic equipment now has dual voltage, many battery chargers for cameras do not. Even with a converter high energy devices like curling irons do have a tendency to fry. after frying a couple we bought a 220 unit for Europe and elsewhere.

Do the adapter plugs. As others have suggested on other threads, you can also take a small travel power strip so you can have all your electronics at one outlet.

For flatirons/curling irons, I went to a store in the first city I got to and bought. They don't take up much space and I don't have to worry about frying (no pun intended) the appliance...

Several years ago, I invested in new dryer, curling iron and flat iron with dual voltage capacity. The price was about the same but the quality is better on all of them, at home or abroad. No converter necessary. My Nikon digital camera came with both a 220 and a 110 power cord as did my husband's Casio camera. So we carry one set of cords and two battery chargers for the cameras. We also invested in a little coffee pot with a European plug. It works great in hotel rooms in Europe as well as on cruise ships that always have both types of outlets. Multiple travel sites and Amazon had all these products for purchase and I did not have to spend time buying them in Europe.

Personally, I think using a voltage converter is asking for trouble. Unless you have some obscure item that isn't dual voltage, I'd highly recommend just using a plug adapter with either dual voltage items, or for high power items like hairdriers, picking up something local.

Archived