Hotel in Venice

Brendaflamingo

Less expensive, no luggage problem . . . Hotel Tritone in Mestre. Right across from the bus stop from the airport, as well as the train station. Have it booked but haven't stayed there yet. Just a suggestion for not having to deal with the canal bridges and your luggage.

There are plenty of optons in Mestre but Mestre is not Venice. Mestre is a smallish inland town on the other side of the causeway from Venice and is the area used by most lower cost tours to house their clients. If you want to stay in Venice and minimize (not eliminate) the hassles we suggest you stay right in or near the Piazale Roma. You can easily get from the airport to P. Roma on the low cost ATVO bus (plenty of room for luggage). We normally stay at the Ca Doge, which is a very small hotel (no elevators) located right in the P. Roma. The Hotel Olimpia is a larger hotel located close (but not in) the P. Roma. This location is the only part of Venice that is accessible by land taxi or bus and is very convenient for accessing the vaporettos and the port.

Hank

I have been checking prices for our 3 night stay at the end of October and they are just outrageous. Many are showing as not available, and those that are seem to be in the 200-300 euro range. I saw a four star for $183 (dollars) on Hotwire in the 'central area' and I may just take a chance on that, knowing that their **** is not like ours in the US, which is fine. We are not boarding a ship so being near P. Roma is not an issue for us. Sure wish I could find a small B&B type that wasn't so expensive!!

Cathy -

If cost is your main concern - try Alloggia Barbaria http://www.alloggibarbaria.it/gbindex.shtml

It is NOT on a canal and does NOT have much character. However, it is cheap, clean and has en suite bathroom. Also breakfast isn't great - but will hold you over until an early lunch. It is a true B&B and not a cute on - but very functional.

It's near Fondemente Nouve. You will have to carry your luggage over bridges. From the Alliaguna stop - I believe it's 4 bridges, from the vaparetto stop (Ospedale) it's 2 I believe (maybe one).

Are you travelling by cruiseship?

This site lists hotels near the Piazzale Roma which is a popular area for cruisers. The PRoma is the end of the road (literally) for land travel in Venice so it's where all buses, taxis etc drop off passengers. So easy for getting to/from the airport. And it's close to the pier.

If you need an elevator be sure to enquire specifically.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Are you travelling by cruiseship?

This site lists hotels near the Piazzale Roma which is a popular area for cruisers. The PRoma is the end of the road (literally) for land travel in Venice so it's where all buses, taxis etc drop off passengers. So easy for getting to/from the airport. And it's close to the pier.

If you need an elevator be sure to enquire specifically.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

If this is addressed to me, no I am not cruising from Venice this time. We are flying in there and making our way over to Barcelona to board the ship. I prefer not to stay in the P. Roma area; I have rolled my luggage around Venice before, up and over, and don't really have any issues with that, thank goodness! I'm just price-searching--but it doesn't look like there are any real bargains out there unless I want to stay on the mainland, which I don't. I guess I'll just have to cough it up and economize elsewhere!

If this is addressed to me, no I am not cruising from Venice this time. We are flying in there and making our way over to Barcelona to board the ship. I prefer not to stay in the P. Roma area; I have rolled my luggage around Venice before, up and over, and don't really have any issues with that, thank goodness! I'm just price-searching--but it doesn't look like there are any real bargains out there unless I want to stay on the mainland, which I don't. I guess I'll just have to cough it up and economize elsewhere!

Sorry, I was responding to the OP.

But for you Cathy.... have you tried venere.com? I also came across some different options on nozio.com

A budget choice near the train station is Santa Lucia Hotel. I haven't stayed there but I made note of it in case I go solo to Venice next yr. Good luck with your search.

I have been checking prices for our 3 night stay at the end of October and they are just outrageous. Many are showing as not available, and those that are seem to be in the 200-300 euro range. I saw a four star for $183 (dollars) on Hotwire in the 'central area' and I may just take a chance on that, knowing that their **** is not like ours in the US, which is fine. We are not boarding a ship so being near P. Roma is not an issue for us. Sure wish I could find a small B&B type that wasn't so expensive!!

Try the venere website. We found a nice three star near the train station in Venice for less than 90E.

We stayed at the hotel Olimpia. We had one bridge to clamber over with our luggage, but since it was just the one we dealt with it. The hotel was very nice and has a nice breakfast. It was easy the morning of the cruise to drag the luggage to Piazzale Roma and hop in a cab. 20 euros later (including a nice tip) we were dropped off right at the luggage building.

There are two hotels right in Piazzale Roma. Ca' Doge and Santa Chiara. No bridges to cross at all.

We stayed at Ca' Doge, and while they do not have an elevator, they transport your luggage to your room and when you are ready to check out, they bring it down to the lobby for you. We managed to climb two flights up to our room, and it was the one right in front with the small balcony. Really a nice small hotel.

http://cadoge.hotelinvenice.com/

Hotel Santa Chiara is on the Grand Canal.

http://www.hotelsantachiara.it/en/

There are two hotels right in Piazzale Roma. Ca' Doge and Santa Chiara. No bridges to cross at all.

We stayed at Ca' Doge, and while they do not have an elevator, they transport your luggage to your room and when you are ready to check out, they bring it down to the lobby for you. We managed to climb two flights up to our room, and it was the one right in front with the small balcony. Really a nice small hotel.

http://cadoge.hotelinvenice.com/

Hotel Santa Chiara is on the Grand Canal.

http://www.hotelsantachiara.it/en/

I just checked rates at Ca' Doge for next May, and they have a 3 night minimum.

I originally planned to stay in Venice 2 nights post-cruise, and booked a small B&B near San Marco. However, when we booked our flights from Venice using miles, we had to depart the day after the cruise ended and very early in the morning. I changed our reservation to Hotel Tritone in Mestre as it was less expensive and more convenient for going to the airport.

I just checked rates at Ca' Doge for next May, and they have a 3 night minimum.

I originally planned to stay in Venice 2 nights post-cruise, and booked a small B&B near San Marco. However, when we booked our flights from Venice using miles, we had to depart the day after the cruise ended and very early in the morning. I changed our reservation to Hotel Tritone in Mestre as it was less expensive and more convenient for going to the airport.

That 3 night minimum must be new, we only stayed 2 nights.

Yes, I did make a reservation at Golden Tulip Tritone too, then found Ca' Doge and canceled Tritone, just a bit out of the way to be making trips back and forth to Venice proper two or three times a day.

There were a couple of hotels on Lido that I really liked too, but the same issue of travel back & forth to San Marco and not really easy to get to/from the pier so discounted those right away.

Everyone has to do what is best for their travel plans. I can certainly see why you would choose the Tritone.

My big problem was being guaranteed two beds (either twin or double or queen, but definitely two beds). My friend and I like each other and we travel a lot together, but we don't sleep together.

That 3 night minimum must be new, we only stayed 2 nights.

Yes, I did make a reservation at Golden Tulip Tritone too, then found Ca' Doge and canceled Tritone, just a bit out of the way to be making trips back and forth to Venice proper two or three times a day.

There were a couple of hotels on Lido that I really liked too, but the same issue of travel back & forth to San Marco and not really easy to get to/from the pier so discounted those right away.

Everyone has to do what is best for their travel plans. I can certainly see why you would choose the Tritone.

My big problem was being guaranteed two beds (either twin or double or queen, but definitely two beds). My friend and I like each other and we travel a lot together, but we don't sleep together.

Our ship overnights in Venice, so we will do our Venice sightseeing the first day. Once we disembark, my plan (at the moment) is to drop off our luggage at the hotel in Mestre, then take the train to Padua for the rest of the day.

Archived