New Cuts with Carnival

scperk

We became Platinum on our Dream cruise this summer. I have always cruised with my husband. He was given a "gold" card and I was given a "Platinum" card. We were told to go to pursers to straigten things out. The employees at the purseres desk were very friendly but could find no record of DH ever sailing on CCL(even tho he was given a gold card).

When we got to room, our "personalized' stationary was regular Carnival paper and envelopes with my name typed on top. I couldn't help but laugh myself silly at this upgraded perk.

Because it was a weekend sailing, we were told that nothing could be done about changing my husbands status until Monday, if indeed, it was my husbands 10th cruise. Finally on the 4th day my DH was given his "Platinum" card. No mention of his new status.

I figured that these were part of cutbacks and got some giggles out of it all.

These little things did not ruin our cruise. But, that being said, CCL Platinum level leaves much to be desired.

Jusy curious when this happened? I have only know Carnival to have the Poker Pro tables I never remember seeing dealers at poker tables ever. Since the 2003 boom of poker........when or where did Carnival have poker dealers?

I agree, the rake has always been high!

DH has played poker on ships for a long time and had regular tables with live dealers only once (can't remember if it was Paradise or Elation). And when the dealers changed mid-game, sometimes the rules changed, which caused arguments. He actually likes the PokerPro tables, it's the players that aren't so good sometimes.

It's the attitude so many who say "doesn't spoil my cruise" have that drives the cuts further. They know they can get away with it so they do. It's not spoiling my cruise but it is taking from the ambiance of what cruising used to be. If you ignore dirty tables on the Lido, food that isn't hot, no room service and other services books in the cabins, they don't have to provide the level of service they once did. Soon you will be on the Motel 6 at sea, if you aren't already.

Sad and so true!

I wonder how many even know what the Gala Buffet is! People lined up for the 1 hour before to take pics of those beautiful Fruit & Veggie scupltures and Ice Carvings. How many know what Captain's Night used to be like! Cruising has changed! Definitely is heading in the Motel 6 direction!!!

Yes. A little bit of this and a little bit of that- finally it all begins to feel like you are really cruising on the cheap. No, one thing doesn't make any difference, but these small things do add up and affect the ambiance of the cruise.

I agree

Ummm ok :confused: Why would you let a post get you so riled up? Honestly, sounds like you took it personally when all the poster was doing was comparing her past experiences to the recent. Low class? Where'd you get that from?

LOL thats exactly what I was thinking !!

It's the attitude so many who say "doesn't spoil my cruise" have that drives the cuts further. They know they can get away with it so they do. It's not spoiling my cruise but it is taking from the ambiance of what cruising used to be. If you ignore dirty tables on the Lido, food that isn't hot, no room service and other services books in the cabins, they don't have to provide the level of service they once did. Soon you will be on the Motel 6 at sea, if you aren't already.

You rock girl~ If you never had it you don't know what your missing. So how can you even comment!!

I HATE it when the new cruisers get "upset" by our complaints.. Weve had all of it and guess what my cruise prices havent gone down a bit!!

Sad and so true!

I wonder how many even know what the Gala Buffet is! People lined up for the 1 hour before to take pics of those beautiful Fruit & Veggie scupltures and Ice Carvings. How many know what Captain's Night used to be like! Cruising has changed! Definitely is heading in the Motel 6 direction!!!

How many of you can remember a Gala Buffet?? I can~ Where did that go?? ANd once again my cruise price hasnt dropped!!

I love the free room service, i was on Paradise in 2009, first Carnival Cruise, and never had a green leather ship stuff holder..the breakfast choice sips were on the wall...i had to call and ask for a room service menu..got a clean xerox copy to hang on the hook with my breakfast orders and the robes were brand new clean hanging there too and not in the closet when I arrived to my room..on day one w/ breakfast slips but nothing else.

The new room service menus have a few more hot items..for a good budget but very nice mainstream cruise , this is a lovely option with your fare price and nothing but a little tip requested subtly..sarah

I, too, remember the days of the gala buffets and midnight buffets. They have gone the way of meals dh and I used to be able to split at restaurants -and take home a doggie bag- which we now have to order 2 of to have enough food for the both of us! Everything has downsized, and on top of that, gotten more expensive! To us, CCL's apparent cuts are just a "trickle-down" effect of the economy. So far, it hasn't bothered us enough to want to switch to another line. I am sure if I went to another cruise line's board, I would see complaints about "the good ole' days" there as well.:)

How many of you can remember a Gala Buffet?? I can~ Where did that go?? ANd once again my cruise price hasnt dropped!!

I remember the gala buffets, even though I'm a night owl on land I hardly ever made it to the midnight buffet when on a cruise. I think only once.

I don't have exact figures but from what I can recall, I think the cruise prices are actually cheaper now. I used to book inside cabins & for us to get a rate of $100 per person, per day was fairly good. Now I can book a balcony in that ballpark, a little more or less depending on itinerary.

Fuel, food, basically all the ships expenses are more costly now than in the days of the midnight buffets. They've cut the niceties to keep the fares beyond reasonable. I'm glad I can afford to cruise every so often, but I wish some of the old opulence were still there.

Archived