Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas or Carnival Magic

Crews Virgin

I'm sure both would be fine choices. We sailed on the Mariner's sister ship this past winter and really enjoyed ourselves. The Carnival Magic looks like it has some pretty nice features too. The Mariner is slightly larger, and carries fewer passengers, and I have read reports that the class of ship the Carnival Magic is part of tends to feel more crowded. But that feeling probably tends to come along during prime family time, when there are a lot of kids on board as well.

Considering two cruises - Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas or Carnival Magic? One better than the other? Both great ships? Thoughts?

Thanks! Crews Virgin

I've been on the Mariner and have been on Magic's sister ship, the Dream. Without a doubt, I recommend Mariner. Yes, Magic is brand new, but it is very crowded. Plus, the pool on Magic is a joke. It is tiny and is virtually unusable because of the pool deck crowding. The wide open decks of Mariner and airy Royal Promenade are so much nicer. Definitely Mariner.

It depends on your preferences ... read a few reviews (taking the totally negative ones with a grain of salt ... or a shakerful ... and see what appeals to you). Being your first cruise, I'm certain that you'd enjoy either ship. The Magic being brand-new, it would probably have a few more amenities, and appear a bit more "polished." The Carnival website has an excellent presentation. We've sailed both cruise lines extensively, and didn't feel that one was necessarily more crowded than the other. What we did find was a greater food selection on Carnival ships ... several walk-up locations all over the place (deli, sushi, etc.), and menus in the main dining room more extensive and creative. Granted, the decor can be a bit over the top, but we figure that it's a cruise ship, not our living room. Staterooms are larger than most. We've had no issues with service on either cruise line.

The Mariner is an older ship (2002) but Royal Caribbean maintains its fleet very well. The promenade is impressive at first, but we view it as a route from here to there. It can get very crowded during events (parades, food presentations, etc.). We find Royal Caribbean's food pretty bland, and menu selections limited.

I wouldn't pay much more to sail on either ... if one is considerably higher in price than the other, go with the less expensive one. Sign up for both cruise lines' e-mail specials. If you hit it right, savings (or upgrades, onboard credit and other enticements) can be significant.

The itinerary shouldn't be a consideration, given that it's your first cruise ... and they're pretty much the same out of Galveston. Look under Ports of Call/Caribbean here, find your stops, and see what others have to say ... it's very helpful, especially to cruise virgins.

Now that you're thoroughly confused, and assuming that the prices are competitive, just go ahead and pick one based on your gut feeling ... you'll have a great cruise!

Al

Thank you for all of your wonderful replies. :)

We are leaning toward the Royal ship. Better itinerary and maybe more elbow room.

Crews Virgin

If Mariner has the better itinerary I would definitely go with that one. I like both Carnival and RCCL but I choose based on the itinerary. They really are similar and you can't go wrong either way.

We are leaning toward the Royal ship. Better itinerary and maybe more elbow room./QUOTE]

Then go for it, and have a terrific first cruise ... then try Carnival on your next one (and there will be a next one ... take it from a 40+ cruise veteran). Glad we could help ... now start packing!

Al

We are leaning toward the Royal ship. Better itinerary and maybe more elbow room./QUOTE]

Then go for it, and have a terrific first cruise ... then try Carnival on your next one (and there will be a next one ... take it from a 40+ cruise veteran). Glad we could help ... now start packing!

Al

Mariner for me I have been on twice and I have to save my fav RCCL line,,, I have never sailed Disney so Can't compare only can say you will not be disappointed with RCCL.

Archived