Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future (Continued)

CC Help Jenn

Frank, your ears were burning:D......we were just wondering the other day how you made out with trying to get some compensation.

Glad it was resolved in the end somehow.........maybe not as you would have wanted or in the time frame but at least it is over.

Hope you and Norm have a great cruise in reverse, on the Radiance!!! :)

Dayle

Hi Patti,

You posted this last August on the old thread.

"You can sign up for the Dining Package at the MTD desk, or in any of the 4 restaurants. On our second week, they got a little more organized and had a greeter outside the Windjammer with a sign-up tablet. Word of caution: when you inquire at any of the 4 restaurants, you get a lot of head scratching and deer-in-the-headlight gazes. But, eventually, they will find someone trained to do it. Once you are in the system, there were zero problems with billing after dinner. The restaurants are under-utilized, so they are trying to fill them. Food was excellent in the specialty places. But, the Windjammer is slipping. Dog house and Park Café are as good as the Allure".

Can you only sign up once you get onboard, or is there a way to sign up online?

Bill

Hi Patti,

You posted this last August on the old thread.

"You can sign up for the Dining Package at the MTD desk, or in any of the 4 restaurants. On our second week, they got a little more organized and had a greeter outside the Windjammer with a sign-up tablet. Word of caution: when you inquire at any of the 4 restaurants, you get a lot of head scratching and deer-in-the-headlight gazes. But, eventually, they will find someone trained to do it. Once you are in the system, there were zero problems with billing after dinner. The restaurants are under-utilized, so they are trying to fill them. Food was excellent in the specialty places. But, the Windjammer is slipping. Dog house and Park Café are as good as the Allure".

Can you only sign up once you get onboard, or is there a way to sign up online?

Bill

I remember that from an email from friends that did Radiance before we did. I believe that you can sign up on line. I remember someone saying that if you sign up on-line you must make a reservation at Chops for the first night.

We signed up the day we arrived. They were set up outside the WJ with a rep from Giovanni's, Samba and Chops.

EDIT: I sent an email to a friend who is going to be on Radiance soon because I think that they booked on-line. Hopefully she will drop by and give you her experience.

Edited by cruisenfever

We booked the specialty restaurants online in December for our April 22 cruise. We didn't want to eat at Chops on the first night, so I called and the CSR was very nice and changed our Chops ressie to the second night. We will still have to chose the other restaurants after we board. Hope this helps a little. :)

We booked the specialty restaurants online in December for our April 22 cruise. We didn't want to eat at Chops on the first night, so I called and the CSR was very nice and changed our Chops ressie to the second night. We will still have to chose the other restaurants after we board. Hope this helps a little. :)

I will take that a step further and say that we booked online and although a reservation for Chops was required, there was nothing about making it for the FIRST night. The dropdown menu for the reservation had all the cruise nights listed.

I made it for April 10th. We have April 10th twice on our cruise as we cross the International Date Line, so I imagine I will have to work that part out once we are onboard. This will be fun! :D:):D

Edited by Coralc

I will take that a step further and say that we booked online and although a reservation for Chops was required, there was nothing about making it for the FIRST night. The dropdown menu for the reservation had all the cruise nights listed.

I made it for April 10th. We have April 10th twice on our cruise as we cross the International Date Line, so I imagine I will have to work that part out once we are onboard. This will be fun! :D:):D

Did you book the Dining Package (that is a package of all the pay restaurants together at a discounted price)?

Did you book the Dining Package (that is a package of all the pay restaurants together at a discounted price)?

On Radiance, for our cruise, there are 2 packages available. The Chops dining package for $70 p/p and the Chef's Table package for $120 p/p.

We booked the Chops package, which shaves $15 p/p off the individual cover charges.

It doesn't include all the restaurants...it includes, Chops, Giovani's Table, Samba Grill and Izumi....still not quite sure how they handle Izumi. :)

Edited by Coralc

On Radiance, for our cruise, there are 2 packages available. The Chops dining package for $70 p/p and the Chef's Table package for $120 p/p.

We booked the Chops package, which shaves $15 p/p off the individual cover charges.

It doesn't include all the restaurants...it includes, Chops, Giovani's Table, Samba Grill and Izumi....still not quite sure how they handle Izumi. :)

When we booked that package and went to Izumi we had $20pp. $5.00 was the cover charge which left $15pp to spend in the restaurant. Their pricing is very, very reasonable and $15pp was more than enough to stuff our faces.

Edited by cruisenfever

When we booked that package and went to Izumi we had $20pp. $5.00 was the cover charge which left $15pp to spend in the restaurant. Their pricing is very, very reasonable and $15pp was more than enough to stuff our faces.

Thanks Patti. Would you mind sharing this on our roll call?...because we were wondering. Or else I will move it. Very much appreciated. :D

~Patti :)

Edited by Coralc

My DH and I are sailing on Radiance this summer to Alaska. We love the speciality restaurants and tend to dine in them often. What is this dining package that has been mentioned and how does it work? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

From the RCI website when you go to Radiance of the Seas.....

• NEW
    Radiance Dining Package, at $70 per guest, includes Chops Grille steakhouse, Giovanni's Table Italian Trattoria, Izumi Asian Cuisine and Samba Grill Brazilian steakhouse
  • NEW
    Chef's Dining Package, at $120 per guest, includes Chops Grille, Giovanni's Table, Izumi, Samba Grill and the five-course, gourmet Chef's Table and wine pairing

You can pre-book prior to sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

All--

After six months of persistence, I finally got the compensation check today from Steiner Transocean (Spa Concessionaire) for the severe staph infection I got from acupuncture on Radiance last September. I'm happy with the amount and can now move on and get that pesky file folder off the desk and put away.:D

I think, though, that both Royal Caribbean and Steiner have shown dismal Customer Relations in how they handled this matter. I really felt that they hoped I would just give up and go away. I guess they hadn't counted on an old guy with a computer and a telephone.;)

Frank in sunny but cool SBA:cool:

All--

After six months of persistence, I finally got the compensation check today from Steiner Transocean (Spa Concessionaire) for the severe staph infection I got from acupuncture on Radiance last September. I'm happy with the amount and can now move on and get that pesky file folder off the desk and put away.:D

I think, though, that both Royal Caribbean and Steiner have shown dismal Customer Relations in how they handled this matter. I really felt that they hoped I would just give up and go away. I guess they hadn't counted on an old guy with a computer and a telephone.;)

Good for you, Frank, for hanging in there. I wish more people would and perhaps some companies would start being more responsible. I hate it when something like this drags on and on and on......

You and Norm got off in Honolulu just as we got on so we missed seeing you. Hopefully we can cruise together sometime in the future.

Linda (and C. D.)

All--

Hi Frank, so glad to hear that you are satisfied with the bottom line. Perseverance always pays off.

BTW, how is Norm liking the "new" CO or should I say the "old" UA!?? We have several flights book for 2012 and after the "marriage" all but one booking had to be addressed. After sitting on hold for almost 4 hours, a nice rep finally took care of me. I asked if she was a former CO or UA rep to which she answered............."I'm an ex-Con". :D

Patti--

Not much has changed for Norm. He's still flying on Continental aircraft with Continental crews. Some procedures have changed but, luckily, more of the Continental style and corporate culture is surviving than the other way around. The company prefers "New United"...

Have you checked your miles? They should have all "migrated" to your MileagePlus account. The number is the same. All MileagePlus accounts are being renumbered to follow the OnePass format.

Linda--

It was worth it in the end but there were some very frustrating moments when I felt as if nobody wanted to "own" the problem. I finally was able to get in touch with a very capable woman in the RCI executive office team who "bird dogged" Steiner until they relented.

Frank in sunny and cool SBA:cool:

Edited by sbalax

Patti--

Not much has changed for Norm. He's still flying on Continental aircraft with Continental crews. Some procedures have changed but, luckily, more of the Continental style and corporate culture is surviving than the other way around. The company prefers "New United"...

Have you checked your miles? They should have all "migrated" to your MileagePlus account. The number is the same. All MileagePlus accounts are being renumbered to follow the OnePass format.

Linda--

It was worth it in the end but there were some very frustrating moments when I felt as if nobody wanted to "own" the problem. I finally was able to get in touch with a very capable woman in the RCI executive office team who "bird dogged" Steiner until they relented.

Yes, everything is good. So glad that they kept the CO Home Page and our Mileage Accounts have our CO numbers.

Tell Norm we said hi and we do hope to cruise with you both again.

Edited by cruisenfever

Patti--

Linda--

Congratulations Frank! There is some satisfaction in having them take responsibility for what happened. :)

Oh I see...so that's how it worked...we had to change our United numbers to Continental's format! :rolleyes: I spent Sunday afternoon getting that worked out with "Travel Partners". :p

Hi,

OK all you experienced Alaska cruiser, We are looking to do an Alaska cruise in 2013. We already have an Allure cruise on May 26, 2013 so we are thinking late August 2013. Should we do southbound, northbound or does it really matter?

I will take any and all opinions.

Thanks

Bill

Hi,

OK all you experienced Alaska cruiser, We are looking to do an Alaska cruise in 2013. We already have an Allure cruise on May 26, 2013 so we are thinking late August 2013. Should we do southbound, northbound or does it really matter?

I will take any and all opinions.

Thanks

Bill

Being partial to the Radiance (as we all are on this thread!), and having cruised on the Serenade to Alaska, I would recommend the Radiance for next August. She is the perfect ship to see this amazing part of the world, with her three acres of glass, including glass elevators that face the sea. With your experience on the Voyager class ships, you will enjoy the on board amenities and activities, and many dining options, along with the great itinerary. we enjoyed the Schooner Bar, nearby self-leveling billiard tables, the aft Singapore Sling's lounge for nice views, and don't forget your swim suit- we found the Solarium to be nice and toasty.

A southbound sailing on the Radiance makes for a shorter flight home after your cruise. You could fly into Anchorage and plan to book the train transfer to Seward, rather than the motorcoach. A great way to begin your Alaska adventure. Enjoy the itinerary, including cruising Hubbard Glacier and the Inside Passage, before disembarking in Vancouver. And if you've never seen Vancouver, you may want to stay a night or two post cruise, it's a wonderful city. CC member jennat posted a great Radiance review of her northbound Alaska cruise, enjoy!: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434211

Being partial to the Radiance (as we all are on this thread!), and having cruised on the Serenade to Alaska, I would recommend the Radiance for next August. She is the perfect ship to see this amazing part of the world, with her three acres of glass, including glass elevators that face the sea. With your experience on the Voyager class ships, you will enjoy the on board amenities and activities, and many dining options, along with the great itinerary. we enjoyed the Schooner Bar, nearby self-leveling billiard tables, the aft Singapore Sling's lounge for nice views, and don't forget your swim suit- we found the Solarium to be nice and toasty.

A southbound sailing on the Radiance makes for a shorter flight home after your cruise. You could fly into Anchorage and plan to book the train transfer to Seward, rather than the motorcoach. A great way to begin your Alaska adventure. Enjoy the itinerary, including cruising Hubbard Glacier and the Inside Passage, before disembarking in Vancouver. And if you've never seen Vancouver, you may want to stay a night or two post cruise, it's a wonderful city. CC member jennat posted a great Radiance review of her northbound Alaska cruise, enjoy!: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434211

The southbound on Radiance is what we were thinking too, probably August 30th. Going to book during the WOW sale next week. We get our first taste of Radiance this coming September when we take her to Hawaii. I hear she is a beauty. :)

The southbound on Radiance is what we were thinking too, probably August 30th. Going to book during the WOW sale next week. We get our first taste of Radiance this coming September when we take her to Hawaii. I hear she is a beauty. :)

If you are touring without an RCL cruise tour as we did, here's what we did:

We wanted the experience of the Alaska RR and took the Coastal Classic from Anchorage to Seward and then spent a few nights in Seward pre-cruise. We booked Goldstar service because we wanted the advantage of the dome car throughout the trip. Well worth the expense in our opinion. We also took one of the long boat tours on Resurrection Bay out of Seward. Fabulous tour!

If you are doing any hotel reservations on your own, book as early as you can to get the best prices. One front desk clerk was amazed at the rate I had. I explained that I booked as soon as the bookings opened.