E Cigarettes.

barnsey1802

My DH has just purchased some E Cigarettes would like to use them on our Diamond Princess cruise at the end of the year. I was reading the Carnival boards, and it appears that they only want people to use these devices in the designated smoking areas.

Seems pretty silly to me. It's like having an AA meeting at the bar.

So my question is, has anyone use these E Cigarettes recently on Princess and if so did they have any problems?

Also I wanted to point out my DH wont be wanting to use his E Cigarette in places like the dining room, but as they have no smell, and no smoke

etc, He also doesn't want to go sit with the real smokers either.

For the people that have not heard of these before just Google E Cigarettes and there is a ton of info about them.

Deidre:)

Thanks Carolyn,

He has tried many times to give up, so hopefully this works. I haven't smoked for 19 years myself, but I still remember how hard it was to give up. I think they are a great idea, He will most definitely be using it in our cabin. Also the one he has ordered is bright blue, so it doesn't look exactly like a cigarette.

I'm hoping Princess comes around to a reasonabled attitude about this; we are going on the Island in November and unless my husband quits after that, that will be the last Princess cruise for us because of the change in smoking policy and the fact that you cannot use E-cigs either, which is ridiculous.

If they're being treated the same as regular cigs this is terrible news to me. My father is/was a smoker and just switched to one of these recently specifically because of princess' new smoking policy. He will not be pleased to hear this but at least he can still do it in his room/ on his balcony.

I haven't read about any Princess policy on e-cigs...has anyone else?

It doesn't apply to me but maybe someone who could be affected by this either way would want to contact Princess for an answer. Although "how" to get an accurate answer could be a problem. :p

We had a guy on our roll call during our CB cruise in June who smoked e-cigs in open areas. He had a couple people (crew and passengers) say something and then he pointed out that it was an e-cig and they left him alone after that.

At the very least, there should be no problem smoking one in your room. I wouldn't think too many people would have an issue in a main area, but I remember someone on the boards complaining that his wife was bothered by the vapors. I think he might want to avoid smoking it at a table with others present as it might be looked upon as rude.

The Princess website doesn't mention E cigarettes YET. Carnival has this to say on their website.

Note: Electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes are only allowed in the designated smoking areas.

The whole point about these devices is that they are not cigarettes. They don't smell, They don't burn, You can't ash them, there is no second hand smoke etc. You would think that the staff would embrace these devixes. There is not cleanup, no messy ashtrays and no chance of a fire starting.

The vapor they admit is similar to the steam that comes off a cup of tea or coffee IMO. I really cant understand how they can be lumped in the same catergory. My Husband intends to be discreet with his e cigarettes of course, but bottom line is he's NOT smoking period.

Deidre.:)

I would imagine the reason for confining e-cigs to the designated smoking areas is two-fold: 1) they are such new technology that when people see them they assume they are "smoking" and thus complain. 2) when smoker's see someone else "smoking" they think they can light up, too.

I bet that when these get more commonplace to see out and about that the smoking area only restrictions will be loosened.

I would love it if I could talk my mother into trying these!

I would imagine the reason for confining e-cigs to the designated smoking areas is two-fold: 1) they are such new technology that when people see them they assume they are "smoking" and thus complain. 2) when smoker's see someone else "smoking" they think they can light up, too.

I bet that when these get more commonplace to see out and about that the smoking area only restrictions will be loosened.

I would love it if I could talk my mother into trying these!

I agree, and we all know what happens when people

Ass u me........lol

From what I have seen posted, they are treated the same onboard as regular cigarettes (I know, doen't make any sense but I also read where someone was smoking an e-cig in a non-smoking area and there were several passengers throwing fits about it).

This was our experience as well - it causes to much ruckus amoungst the non-smokers (whether it is actually considered smoking or not!).

I called princess three different time and spoke to three different supervisor, you smoke the E-city in the smoking areas as they are now and you will be able to use the e-cigg in your cabin in balconies

That will never work for the balconies since as soon as people see smoke they'll be on the phone to complain. It would be next to impossible to have security investigate each & every occurrence.

In your room you can get away with it.

That will never work for the balconies since as soon as people see smoke they'll be on the phone to complain. It would be next to impossible to have security investigate each & every occurrence.

In your room you can get away with it.

If I was using one on my balcony and someone complained followed a knock on my door, I would simply explain that I am not violating any Princess policy. My neighbors would have no reason to complain either since there is no odor.

If I was using one on my balcony and someone complained followed a knock on my door, I would simply explain that I am not violating any Princess policy. My neighbors would have no reason to complain either since there is no odor.

The way I understand it the e cigarettes are not being allowed, but even if they were I'd call each & every time I saw smoke & they would surely get tired of investigating where the problem was coming from and soon put a stop to it altogether. Although they do no stink, there is no proof the e cigarettes do not emit any pollutants. If you don't want to be confronted about the problem take it inside your cabin.

I do own a Restaurant and have to say that it is not without problems. The e-cigarettes give quite a large amount of vapor and if you stand next to it, it will make breathing more difficult. Honestly, I do not like them very much. If people want to use them in the room that's ok, but on the balcony no! Otherwise, do got to the designated smoking areas.

Do they look any different? No. Just the sight of something that looks like a cigarette could cause alarm.

Recently, there was a picture of our local High School Coach in the paper.

He was holding a clip board and writing on it.

He had the cap of the pen in his mouth.

The School Board was swamped by callers complaining that the Coach is a bad influence on his players; and that the Coach should be terminated:confused:

If they're being treated the same as regular cigs this is terrible news to me. My father is/was a smoker and just switched to one of these recently specifically because of princess' new smoking policy. He will not be pleased to hear this but at least he can still do it in his room/ on his balcony.

I recently saw my first E cigarette being smoked in the lounge on Princess and when a cruiser mentioned it to the bar staff/waiter he told her it was ok as it was not a cigarette so perhaps it depends on the staff and the ship. It would appear to be very stupid to expect people using E cigs to go into the smoking area where they are trying to avoid smoke and give up. Princess must be aware of this has anyone actually asked them??

"E-cigarettes vaporize propylene glycol, nicotine, water, coriander, citric acid and a fragrance from orchids.

"Propylene glycol is in lotion, it's in makeup, it's in medicine — it's in everything because it allows your body to absorb things faster," Story says."

Wow, take out the nicotine and it smells like the line up for the Captain's photo on formal night.

To quote the wine guzzlers "it's not in the contract" so use away in your cabin, on your balcony and any other smoking areas but be smart about it, do not use it in non-smoking areas.

Now let's start working on that eau de toilette ban for the scent sensitive types.

The way I understand it the e cigarettes are not being allowed, but even if they were I'd call each & every time I saw smoke & they would surely get tired of investigating where the problem was coming from and soon put a stop to it altogether. Although they do no stink, there is no proof the e cigarettes do not emit any pollutants. If you don't want to be confronted about the problem take it inside your cabin.

They should ban rabid complainers. Although they do not stink, there is no proof that complainers do not emit any pollutants!:rolleyes:

Smoke them in your cabin and only on the balcony if you can't be seen. A co-worker lit one up at work (in a hospital with a total no-smoking policy) and it looked awful. He got into a lot of trouble. It does look like a cigarette and he was smoking it like he was enjoying every puff, flaunting all the rules.:eek: I have not seen any in bright blue or any other color, but that is a big improvement, IMHO.

Congratulations on his stopping, though. I can understand him not wanting to be around regular smokers. Good luck to him.

Archived