JUST RETURNED FROM QM2 back to back

deck chair

All decks are reached by both stairs and lifts throughout the ship.:) You can check the deck plans on the Cunard site and see the lifts and stairs.

B.

I think XXPRIMROSE was referring to level 4 in Britannia dining room. I believe it's only accessible by 2 short sets of stairs.

I think XXPRIMROSE was referring to level 4 in Britannia dining room. I believe it's only accessible by 2 short sets of stairs.

Yes, I believe if you enter the MDR on Deck 3, there are some steps to level 4, but as you say, only short sets (So short that I didn't even notice walking up to level 4! And I hate walking up stairs in high heels :eek:)

Level 1 does not involve any stairs if you choose either side entrance, and is wheel chair accessible. Level 2 also does not involve stairs if you enter from Deck 3, but it's a climb if you enter from Deck 2 to any of the upper levels. I think I have that right:o

Didn't realise we could change our seating in the MDR - thought that all other tables would be assigned to other people already. We had previously asked for a table for 2 and were assigned one for 4. Left it alone and in the end had another very nice couple sit with us. If we knew we had to share, we would have preferred a larger table (run out of things to say if they had been boring, but as it happened they were very interesting). Good tip to bear in mind for the future though. We were by the window on the upper deck. Very nice.

Enjoying reading your review, we leave on Oct 7 for our first TA, very excited. We are in a hull balcony on deck 6.

Thanks for the tip about level 4 dining. We never like to change our assigned seating on day 1, you never know, you might be missing out on some great dinner companions. And we never change after day 1 for fear of offending our day 1 table companions. Maybe this time we'll think of ourselves first lol.

How soon after embarkation can you get into your cabin? And on a less happy note, how early can you get off the ship in Southampton? We have a coach at 9:30 am.

Thanks,

Debbie and Tony

Hello kind readers!

MY CABIN ON 5 DECK: People often wonder what sort of cabin to book on the Queen Mary for transatlantic crossings....over the years I have been on deck 12 (Britannia Club) deck 11 and deck 5.

Given that the weather on crossings can be be very misty/rainy/foggy/windy, to me the best choice is an IN HULL CABIN which can be found on decks 4,5 and 6.

Why pay extra money to be in a typical balcony cabin on higher decks when it is often hard to see or appreciate the ocean because of fog or it is too windy and chilly to really sit out on the balcony. I was in a deck 12 cabin in 2009 with sweeping views of the sea except that on just about every day it was so foggy you couldn't barely see the ocean!

Of course, on deck 8 most outside cabins have views of not the ocean but of lifeboats. No one loves lifeboats more than I but when you are on the ocean you want to see the ocean not a fat lifeboat from your cabin...

I have always been puzzled why the ship's designers put most of the Queens Grill cabins on deck 9. Much of the view they enjoy is of the tops of the lifeboats. The view of the ocean is okay but not nearly as nice as those on deck 11 or especially deck 12 where Britannia Club cabins are located.

IN HULL CABINS are most desired for me because they are much closer to the sea, are unobstructed, and offer protection from the windy conditions that often prevail. I have found deck 5 to be the best location because if is between six deck and four deck. Six deck cabins to me are not as desirable because of the rumbling sounds above from joggers/power walkers and people dragging deck chairs around. (Although the daily notice asks joggers to run only at certain hours, you know how people obey rules! NOT!)

Deck 4 is not as good as 5 because you may hear noise form the public rooms just below...

My 5 deck in hull cabin for these crossings was rather mid-ship close to stairway C. It is a very convenient location because it offered quick access to elevators and then up to Kings Court, Britannia Dining Room and Chart Room...One downside, the laundry was some distance away on the port side fairly close to stairway D but I didn't mind the walk although you may...

Of course, as most evryone knows, without standing up, it is impossible to see the ocean in this sort of cabin because of the metal obstructing the views...Hey people, all you have to do is stand up and there is the ocean right in your face and heart! And it is so marvelous to step outside and really be close to ocean on which you are sailing....that is magical...and you are on the ocean for magic, right?

TO BE CONTINUED....Thanks for reading! Sorry for typos and spelling errors.

Very interesting, we did have a balcony on deck 8, very nice, also a few OV cabins which are also nice, nice to see day light sometimes

Just caught up with the suggestion of bribing the MD to get the table you want. I'm sure that there will be a number of people who want to change tables, which will create a pool within which to swap. However, though others might disagree, to me it comes across as rather arrogant to pick the table you want then offer bribes to make sure you get it, and even more arrogant to tell everybody on the forum this is what you do.

If others now decide to follow the same route we'll just end up in a situation where the best tables go to those paying the biggest bribes!

Paul S

Just caught up with the suggestion of bribing the MD to get the table you want. I'm sure that there will be a number of people who want to change tables, which will create a pool within which to swap. However, though others might disagree, to me it comes across as rather arrogant to pick the table you want then offer bribes to make sure you get it, and even more arrogant to tell everybody on the forum this is what you do.

If others now decide to follow the same route we'll just end up in a situation where the best tables go to those paying the biggest bribes!

Paul S

I suppose that the desired table is desirable by virtue of some perceived benefit of position or other, quiet, seaview, whatever. What then if it already has its complement of diners? Does someone get thrown off this desirable table because someone has paid a bribe to get on it?

Ratty

If people have requested a certain table and people who would otherwise have had it didn't specifically request it, certainly the Maitre' d would make a move.

Then where does the Maitre' d put the people whom were to sit there, and took their reservation card to the diningroom to scope things out earlier? Perhaps, they go to an officer's table.

If people have requested a certain table and people who would otherwise have had it didn't specifically request it, certainly the Maitre' d would make a move.

There are certain desireable tables in any ship's dining room.

Of course there are, but that is not what Deckchair said. He/she said that he checks the table allocation and if he doesn't like it he identifies a table that he does like and then pays the MD to change him/her to that table. And the poor schmucks already on the nice table are presumably heaved off to make room for him/her.

Ratty

Hello one and all!

Let me say this about showing appreciation to the MD for arranging seating at the table you desire. First of all, showing appreciation is much more subtle and understated than throwing money at the MD. If SOME readers don't know how to do that i am not going to explain! I ask that you please go to charm school to learn.

Second, there has never been a case where the MD has removed people from a table just to accomodate my request. Indeed, when I consult with the MD regarding the tables I prefer, (I usually have 6-7 candidates,) he will go through them and often tell me many of them are already filled. On this last eastbound crossing , I had to wait until the second night to switch to a desired table. The MD explained that some tables do open up when people change sitting times or tables. PEOPLE CHANGE TABLES/SITTINGS ALL THE TIME!!!! NO ONE IS BEING THROWN OFF THEIR TABLE FOR ME. Is that clear???? NOW PLEASE!!!! PLEASE STOP SUCH RIDICULOUS TALK!!!! Thank you.

MY CABIN ON 5 DECK: On most of my crossings on Queen MAry, I have a 5 deck cabin. I can tell you what the photos in the brochure cannot well convey. To me, these are spacious but cozy cabins with significant storage space. Certainly there is more storage than was the case in my QUeen Victoria cabin. As some may know, storage on Queen Victoria was heavily criticized....to help the situation, Cunard installed very awkwardly placed drawers under the bed!

There is more space now on the desk since the television is now a flat panel model. I found the mattress in this particular cabin to be rather lumpy so I think it needs to be replaced and perhaps will be. The bathroom is spacious enough and typical of most ships in standard cabins. I wish the shower stall was larger. The shower stall on Queen Victoria is REALLY SMALL so it could be worse. I do wish there were hooks on the walls to hang such items as cameras and binoculars as exist on QUeen Victoria.

The cabin was very quiet with no noise from adjoining cabins. Sometimes I would hear slamming balcony doors from other cabins. It would be nice if Cunard did something tp prevent balcony doosr from slamming shut. Hardly a big deal, howver....

Of course, one disadvantage to this sort of cabin is that you cannot sit outside and see the ocean but to me the advantages of this cabin outweigh this negative...after all, you can always go out on deck and sit and watch the ocean go by...

My cabin steward was excellent. He made sure to introduce himself to me soon after I boarded. He maintained the cabin in an excellent fashion.. He handled special requests very well including helping me with my tuxedo on formal nights.

When coming home to my cabin after an evening out, it was so wonderful to walk out onto the balcony and just gaze at the stars, watch the sea rushing by, hear the seas saying hello to me, wishing me a happy voyage....how awesome is that? Very awesome!!!

TO BE CONTINED.....BTW, does anyone know how to attach photos to such posting? Any help appreciated. As always, thanks for reading...

DECK CHAIR

Hello one and all!

Let me say this about showing appreciation to the MD for arranging seating at the table you desire. First of all, showing appreciation is much more subtle and understated than throwing money at the MD. If SOME readers don't know how to do that i am not going to explain! I ask that you please go to charm school to learn.

Second, there has never been a case where the MD has removed people from a table just to accomodate my request. Indeed, when I consult with the MD regarding the tables I prefer, (I usually have 6-7 candidates,) he will go through them and often tell me many of them are already filled. On this last eastbound crossing , I had to wait until the second night to switch to a desired table. The MD explained that some tables do open up when people change sitting times or tables. PEOPLE CHANGE TABLES/SITTINGS ALL THE TIME!!!! NO ONE IS BEING THROWN OFF THEIR TABLE FOR ME. Is that clear???? NOW PLEASE!!!! PLEASE STOP SUCH RIDICULOUS TALK!!!! Thank you.

MY CABIN ON 5 DECK: On most of my crossings on Queen MAry, I have a 5 deck cabin. I can tell you what the photos in the brochure cannot well convey. To me, these are spacious but cozy cabins with significant storage space. Certainly there is more storage than was the case in my QUeen Victoria cabin. As some may know, storage on Queen Victoria was heavily criticized....to help the situation, Cunard installed very awkwardly placed drawers under the bed!

There is more space now on the desk since the television is now a flat panel model. I found the mattress in this particular cabin to be rather lumpy so I think it needs to be replaced and perhaps will be. The bathroom is spacious enough and typical of most ships in standard cabins. I wish the shower stall was larger. The shower stall on Queen Victoria is REALLY SMALL so it could be worse. I do wish there were hooks on the walls to hang such items as cameras and binoculars as exist on QUeen Victoria.

The cabin was very quiet with no noise from adjoining cabins. Sometimes I would hear slamming balcony doors from other cabins. It would be nice if Cunard did something tp prevent balcony doosr from slamming shut. Hardly a big deal, howver....

Of course, one disadvantage to this sort of cabin is that you cannot sit outside and see the ocean but to me the advantages of this cabin outweigh this negative...after all, you can always go out on deck and sit and watch the ocean go by...

My cabin steward was excellent. He made sure to introduce himself to me soon after I boarded. He maintained the cabin in an excellent fashion.. He handled special requests very well including helping me with my tuxedo on formal nights.

When coming home to my cabin after an evening out, it was so wonderful to walk out onto the balcony and just gaze at the stars, watch the sea rushing by, hear the seas saying hello to me, wishing me a happy voyage....how awesome is that? Very awesome!!!

TO BE CONTINED.....BTW, does anyone know how to attach photos to such posting? Any help appreciated. As always, thanks for reading...

DECK CHAIR

Hi Deck Chair. I'm not really sure about the best way to attach photos, but I recommend that prior to posting photos, you use your computer photo security program. I stumbled upon this recently when clicking on a posted photo. Clicking on properties leads right to an(apparently personal) photo albums unless a link has been removed prior to posting. Perhaps other more experienced photography posters would care to offer better advice please.

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Two options to post pictures:

1. Upload your picture to a photo posting site such as photobucket. When posting, click on the insertimage.gif "Insert Image" icon and enter the web address of the JPG photo from the photo hosting site (note, it will never be a location on your computer hard drive in this event).

2. Click on "Go Advanced" below the quick Reply box to bring up more posting options. Click on the attach.gif paper clip icon and you'll get a window where you can upload a photo from your own computer that will be attached to your message reply. Boards have a limit on how large a photo you can post using this method but I don't know what CC's limit is.

This method just adds the photo as an icon at the bottom of your post with a link to the photo but you can then use the Insert Image icon to display the photo...

I would not have the nerve!

J

Hello one and all!

... Second, there has never been a case where the MD has removed people from a table just to accomodate my request. Indeed, when I consult with the MD regarding the tables I prefer, (I usually have 6-7 candidates,) he will go through them and often tell me many of them are already filled. On this last eastbound crossing , I had to wait until the second night to switch to a desired table. The MD explained that some tables do open up when people change sitting times or tables. PEOPLE CHANGE TABLES/SITTINGS ALL THE TIME!!!! NO ONE IS BEING THROWN OFF THEIR TABLE FOR ME. Is that clear???? NOW PLEASE!!!! PLEASE STOP SUCH RIDICULOUS TALK!!!! Thank you.

DECK CHAIR

deck chair, thanks for sharing your crossing with us. Your report is bringing back many happy memories of our July voyage. I look forward to your further installments.

For those who question enlisting the maitre d'hotel to achieve a dining arrangement that reasonably suits your personal preferences, that's their job (by definition!). Cunard maitres d' meet with pax at the published time on embarkation day, as well as throughout the cruise, to insure that you, as a paying customer, are satisfied with your table assignment. If you don't care for the computerized match for whatever reason, it's your holiday. As deck chair did, ask courteously, without making demands, and allow the cruise line to make it right for you. They certainly don't want you to sit there unhappily all week and then reveal your dissatisfaction for the first time post-cruise via negative comments and potentially compromised gratuities.

In a tipping culture like the US, maitres d' work for tips. It is customary, then, in restaurants, hotels and US-based cruise lines to extend a gratuity if the maitre d' or other "front of the house" personnel accommodated a special request. We have tipped maitres d' for not just table adjustments, but also "off the menu" requests, special celebration cakes, thoughtful attention to the needs of elders, disabled and children, etc. Of course, it is never necessary to tip. But it's certainly not a bribe if you do!

You are not the only person I've heard this from. A good friend is Platinum and her DD and SIL had been on ony one or two short QM2 cruises. The kids got a mailing with a fabulous price for a Canada cruise and booked for themselves. When the mother tried to book this, she was told that the promo rate was only for people who receieved the mailing. The kids couldn't book a second cabin for mom at the promo rate. Nope, the bargain was for new people they want to get firmly hooked, not for those who have shown that they are already hooked on Cunard. (And maybe Cunard figures the kids have more cruises to book in their lifetimes and Mom hasn't got as many in her future?) Fortunately, the TA was able to get Mom the promo rate or close to it.

But maybe things are getting better. A simliar mailing the kids got this year allowed the recipient to book a cabin for themselves AND a second cabin for a family member. Too bad Mom was already booked on a fall cruise with another line...

I'm a bit surprised. We continually get the "2 for 1" fares in our brochures. I guess not all get the savings of traveling frequently with Cunard.

Hello readers:

Wouldn't it wonderful to return to return to the very old days of transatlantic sea travel??? No MDs. No waiting for a free washing machine. No complaining about weak but expensive drinks. No wondering if you were adhering to a dress code. And you just got by and were happy to get to the new world without falling overboard from sea sickness or sinking in a horrible storm. (Or being keel hauled for breaking some rule.)

I would love to got back in time to give it a try. How about you??? If enough readers think it would be great to go back in time for such a passage I will drop everything to arrange such a trip!!! LETS DO IT!!!!!

KINGS COURT EXPERIENCE: During the day I had breakfast and lunch in Kings Court. We all know it is a big (too big?) often crowded mess and a confused, rather loud seemingly disorganized space....Cunard is aware of this I feel sure but nothing seeems to change...

The food in Kings court is very good IMHO and the staff that serves the passengers really are very awesome. The variety of food is out of this world and most all of it appeared fresh. There always appeared to be enough tables and the staff quick to clean off tables when vacated. I especially liked the men who made the cheeseburgers and deli sandwiches and the one man who made great omelets. Thanks guys!

Of course at night, Kings Court is transformed into more intimate dining experiences. It would vary from night to night. For $10 you could try LOTUS for Asian food, Chef's galley where one can watch the chefs prepare the food etc or The Carvery for more traditional food. There is also La Piazza (Italian) on other nights. I cannot comment on these as I never gave them a try. Perhaps other readers can contribute here. I can tell you that when i would walk through Kings Court as the staff ws preparing the tables I was impressed how the atmosphere changed....table cloths and candle light! Now whether the $10 charges has lowered traffic to these dining spots i do not know..

For those concerned about the dress code (Which is about everybody) Cunard seems to have relaxed the standards by no longer requiring a jacket for gentlemen in these Kings Court dining venues even on formal nights...I personally think that is a mistake as it lowers the tone of the ship. What do you think??

During the afternoon when most main food service had ceased, Kings Court is a great space for hanging out with friends, having tea, tiny sandwiches and scones etc or watching out the window to the promenade deck.... I would often see passengers sitting alone at tables working on their laptop computers with tea/coffee for company...How great is that??

TO BE CONTINUED Thanks for reading and sharing your comments...

Edited by deck chair

Cunard seems to have relaxed the standards by no longer requiring a jacket for gentlemen in these Kings Court dining venues even on formal nights...I personally think that is a mistake as it lowers the tone of the ship. What do you think??
I agree with this sentiment. I booked Cunard rather than (for example) NCL for certain reasons one of which is the atmosphere provided by a shipwide dress code. Edited by Underwatr

I agree with this sentiment. I booked Cunard rather than (for example) NCL for certain reasons one of which is the atmosphere provided by a shipwide dress code.

There have been those rare occasions, when for one reason or another, Himself and I did not want to dress in formal attire. We called room service and ate burgers our balcony. Not a complaint; it was our personal choice. However, it does get tiresome on a long voyage, especially considering the per diem cost:eek:

My suggestion is that the room service menu be improved to provide better dining options for those who respect the dress code enough to remain secluded should they not dress according to code, yet still wish for a nice meal.

An improved room service dinner menu needs to be implemented.

Respectfully submitted,

Salacia

For those concerned about the dress code (Which is about everybody) Cunard seems to have relaxed the standards by no longer requiring a jacket for gentlemen in these Kings Court dining venues even on formal nights...I personally think that is a mistake as it lowers the tone of the ship. What do you think??

I don't know...can you lower the tone in Kings Court? :D

Just teasing.

I agree that it's a mistake. I hope this isn't the start of Cunard relaxing it's dress code. First they came for the dress code.... etc etc.

I find elegant casual to be tiresome, it's my least favourite of all the dress codes.

I do believe it would be simpler to make every night a formal night; with the exception of the first and last nights of a voyage.

On my last B/BTA a few weeks ago we regularly ate dinner at The Carvery. The food was excellant and service first class. However the dress code was not adhered to by several people on differant occassions. I asked the Maitr'd as to "the rules" and he said that such flexability was to be accepted. On the same theme - on two evenings in the Commodore when Formal was the expected attire there were several people seriously underdressed so much so that a gentleman seated nearby noted that before long flip-flops and flowered shirts would be the norm (one of the said underdressed was indeed bedecked in a shirt reminicent of Hawaii)