JUST RETURNED FROM QM2 back to back

deck chair

Please do not encourage RADA to butcher any more plays. Their Shakespearean productions are patronising and condescending in the extreme. A sort of Shakespeare for Dummies. I feel sorry for the actors because they know as do we all that you cannot DO HAMLET IN 45 MINUTES, or Richard lll another travesty perpetrated on QM2 some time ago. The plays you mention would not lend themselves to the kind of surgery inflicted on poor old Bill. And besides they are so dark and depressing that half the audience would probably throw themselves over the side afterwards. They are hardly holiday material. Canterbury Tales, yes OK. This is a picaresque story, in fact simply several short stories and is well suited to shortening. It was a good romp.

As for playwriting and poetry competions PLEASE PLEASE NO. If you were on board for the songwriting cruise you would understand my plea. Such self-indulgent, self-regarding tuneless droning would be hard to imagine if one had not heard it. Those people took themselves far too seriously, stalking about all day with their guitars permanently attached to their backs. And one more thing about RADA, these are professional actors trained at supposedly the finest acting school in the world. Why then do they have to read the poems at their gatherings. They do what, about two or three poems each, that shouldn't be so hard to learn for professionals. Even I could do that and I'm in my dotage.

Ratty

I suppose they do the 45 minute plays to fit into the usual length of an evening's "show." I do NOT mean this as an excuse, just a comment.

It seems a shame that they have to boil down Shakespeare to such an extent. There are ways to do "cuttings" from plays in which the performer gives background to the scene, then does a set of speeches from the play. Ian MacKellan did that in his "Acting Shakespeare."

There are plenty of one-act plays they could do. Not Shakespeare, but worthy. IIRC, they did a Chekov one-act play the second time we saw them on Cunard. That worked well.

Still trying to imagine a 45-minute Hamlet...

We saw the 45-minute Hamlet this summer and it's probably something best not to imagine to begin with. The production wasn't terrible, but it was strangely soulless, and I suspect that even had the play been presented in its entirety, it would have been difficult for the young RADA troupe to pull it off.

I like the idea of one-act plays or sophisticated lighter fare (Noel Coward would indeed do very well on the QM2). Of course, there's always the Reduced Shakespeare Company. Anyone who has seen their one-minute Hamlet will never forget it!

We saw the 45-minute Hamlet this summer and it's probably something best not to imagine to begin with. The production wasn't terrible, but it was strangely soulless, and I suspect that even had the play been presented in its entirety, it would have been difficult for the young RADA troupe to pull it off.

I like the idea of one-act plays or sophisticated lighter fare (Noel Coward would indeed do very well on the QM2). Of course, there's always the Reduced Shakespeare Company. Anyone who has seen their one-minute Hamlet will never forget it!

I have seen the RSC's "Compleat Works Abridged" a couple of times and I loved the silliness of it. My favorite is the histories done as a football game with the crown as the football.

Hello Deck Chair!

I must say that your reports are some of the most enjoyable I've read on CC. My family and I cruised on a transatlantic on the beautiful QM2 in 2007 and you have rekindled my desire to go back. To me the "Achilles heel" of the QM2 was the Kings Court experience. To be honest, I loathed having breakfast or lunch there due to its physical attributes and the nightmarish logistics involved sometimes in trying to get a table. Notwithstanding that, I think I'm ready to repeat the QM2 experience.

Thank you so much for your report, looking forward to more!

Talking about buffets, I generally dislike them. Too much food all around and having to "browse" to see what there is, and timing it so that we actually sit down to eat together just takes the enjoyment out of eating. Just end up eating lots of nothing in particular - anyone out there the same? On our crossing, I never got up to have breakfast (needed to recover after our hectic week in the USA) except on the last day! And for lunch we ate in the MDR which was lovely. Very civilised.

Talking about buffets, I generally dislike them. Too much food all around and having to "browse" to see what there is, and timing it so that we actually sit down to eat together just takes the enjoyment out of eating. Just end up eating lots of nothing in particular - anyone out there the same? On our crossing, I never got up to have breakfast (needed to recover after our hectic week in the USA) except on the last day! And for lunch we ate in the MDR which was lovely. Very civilised.

When eating breakfast and lunch in the Brittannia, do you sit at your assigned dinner table or is it open seating? Since we have so much time on the ship next week, we hope to skip the buffet and enjoy the service in the mdr.

Thanks,

Debbie and Tony

Can't talk about breakfast as we didn't make it in the MDR, but for lunch, you just go in and tell them you want to share or a table for 2. They will accomodate you whatever. We always had a table for 2. We are shown our table, which can be on any deck. So not free seating, and no other requests eg window etc. We tried asking for window but it was denied. I guess if you really insisted and made a fuss, you might get it, but we were fine wherever they put us. It was all very pleasant. We shared in the evening, and thought it would be nice to have an intimate lunch :)

There were times when I had breakfast or lunch in the Britannia Restaurant - met at the door and shown to a table. All very civilised indeed. I also used Kings Court, but once I realised I could use the restaurant, that was it for me. :)

Thats what we like, share a table in the evening and breakfast and lunch we can share a table or have a quiet meal together. Nice to have the option. I suppose room service breakfast on the balcony would be a nice option too.

Thanks,

Debbie and Tony

Hello:

Of course one reason I love sailing on the Queen Mary is the great number of children on board during the crossings: very young almost babies, toddlers, older kids, teenagers and college kids all sailing with their parents...to me these young people add a great deal of life and offer addtional coloring and texture perhaps like confetti in the air....no doubt many of these kinds will one day sail on Cunard on their own....

On the Eastbound crossing there were countless young passengers in evidence....they all appeared to be very well behaved and very much enjoying the experience....There were many times when I observed the kids were being led around by the obvioulsy talented youth counselors...And I wished I could be a youth counsler except I am way too old and don't think Cuanrd would take me on in that capacity....I also noted that CUnard sets up some sort of festive children's dinner in the Kings Court which was very well attended by the younger kids....

For whatever reason, the number of kids on the return corssing were far fewer in number. I assume they were all back in school....I missed having the kids on board as if some of the air had gone out of a balloon...Seeing all the kids reminded me of my own ocean voyages as a kid....and I still remember actually learning to swim on a ship when I was nine years old returning to New York from Beirut on the SS Excambion of American Export LInes....please do tell me if you were on that same voyage and if you learned to swim on that same ship....That would be awesome!!!!

So if some of the readers find young children/teens on board the ship aggravating/annoying/bothersome I say, well I don't know what to say except to remember your own childhood....and lighten up a bit...

I really do enjoy the band VIBZ. Although I rarely venture into G32 night club, I really do enjoy VIBZ when they play in the Queens Room once during each crosssing....

This is what I don't get: Even though tons of passengers show up for this evening of dancing and are apparently having a really good time dancing and drinking and making Cunard money in the process, at Midnight the band closes down never mind many people are having a great time. What is that all about???? You could actually sense the room deflate as if some of bad news was beign delivered. Why would Cunard do this and lose the revenue from the drinks people buy????? Any ideas....Please do not tell me Cunard is concerned about the band being overworked when the poor cabin steward are so overworked with all the many cabins they have to service twice a day...

After an evening out, isn't it just great to be able to wander the outside decks taking in the sounds of the ocean rushing by, the stars, the wake of the ship, wondering if there was some say to make it never stop...

TO BE CONTINUED

DECK CHAIR

I suppose that the desired table is desirable by virtue of some perceived benefit of position or other, quiet, seaview, whatever. What then if it already has its complement of diners? Does someone get thrown off this desirable table because someone has paid a bribe to get on it?

Ratty

Actually yes. If someone books Brittania. they are obviously in line for a Princess Upgrade. It's part of the process.

Actually yes. If someone books Brittania. they are obviously in line for a Princess Upgrade. It's part of the process.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. What process? Everyone in the Britannia restaurant has booked Britannia-grade cabins. And I guess they're all in line for an upgrade to a Princess cabin (but obviously, they won't all get the coveted upgrade). But how does that affect getting your choice of table in the Britannia dining room?

Galleyrat's post, to which you replied, was about bribing the maitre d' to get a better table in the Britannia restaurant, not to get an upgrade to a Princess Grill table. They don't do dining room upgrades. A passenger can bribe the Britannia maitre d' all he/she wants, but it won't get them a table in Princess Grill. Maybe a "choice" Britannia table, but that's the best your money can get for you.

Hello:

This is what I don't get: Even though tons of passengers show up for this evening of dancing and are apparently having a really good time dancing and drinking and making Cunard money in the process, at Midnight the band closes down never mind many people are having a great time. What is that all about???? You could actually sense the room deflate as if some of bad news was beign delivered. Why would Cunard do this and lose the revenue from the drinks people buy????? Any ideas....Please do not tell me Cunard is concerned about the band being overworked when the poor cabin steward are so overworked with all the many cabins they have to service twice a day...

It's probably not a case of overworking the band but overworking the bar waiters. Afterall, even though the Queen's Room may not be serving drinks in the morning, those bar waiters will be relocated to somewhere else. Imagine if they worked them until everyone had left and then they had to start work again in the morning and they did this 7 days a week for months on end. That would make for some exhausted crew!

Hello All! I have just read through all of the letters etc. on this thread, and am a bit confused, Am I allocated a table in the Brittania Restuarant after all those people who wish to take up the best positioned places have bribed the Manager.

The Kings Grill sounds as if it is a nightmare to eat in, and does one have to pay a surcharge to eat there of an evening. Cheer's John

Hello All! I have just read through all of the letters etc. on this thread, and am a bit confused, Am I allocated a table in the Brittania Restuarant after all those people who wish to take up the best positioned places have bribed the Manager.

The Kings Grill sounds as if it is a nightmare to eat in, and does one have to pay a surcharge to eat there of an evening. Cheer's John

You will find a card with your Britannia table number on in your cabin on embarkation day. If you're not happy with it, go and see the Maitre d'.

You only get to eat in the Princess/Queens Grills restaurants if you have booked a Princess/Queens Grills cabin.

Or do you mean the Kings Court? This is the buffet area of the ship. In the evening you have the choice of self-service (no charge) or the waiter-served speciality areas which you have to pay extra for.

Don't worry, most people accept the table they're given, and do not try to bribe their way to a "better" table. The only times we've had to talk to the Manager was when there was an error and we were not at the same table as our friends.

Not all tables can be by the window (which many consider prime real estate), but unless you get unlucky with waitstaff there really aren't "bad" tables in Britannia. One time we had a table along the railing and it was nice to have a sense of the vastness of the room. We didn't miss being by a window.

Hello:

As one who has sailed mostly as a solo, I can really appreciate the concerns solo travelers may have when traveling on such a ship as Queen Mary 2.

Will I meet other passengers? Will I have fun traveling alone? Will I feel awkward since many of the other passengers are traveling with mates/families. Will I wish I had just flown to avoid such issues? Will I wish the crossing was only two days and not seven? Will I spend hours weeping into my pillow wondering if the cabin steward even knows i exist????

The Queen Mary fosters a VERY social environment. If you are a friendly sort you will meet all sorts of passengers on this ship. BUT YOU MUST REACH OUT!!!! You must be engaging. Ask questions!! People love talking about themselves!!! Do not be a wall flower!!!!! You will find most of the other passengers, single or not, will be very receptive to your friendliness. (YOU MAY SAFELY ASSUME THAT THOSE WHO ARE NOT ARE JUST TROUBLED SOULS AND ARE MOST PROBABLY HOPING THE SHIP WILL JUST SINK INTO THE WAVES.)

You may meet the love of your life this way...(Who has ever met the love their life on an airplane???) I met a beautiful British woman on a Queen Mary 2 Med cruise....I happened to be wandering around the promenade deck late at night when I spotted this alluring woman sitting on a life jacket chest looking out at the sea and stars...of course, I could have ignored her and gone about my walk but no, she was too beautiful...I asked her if she was thinking about throwing herself into the sea. I told her I would jump in after her even at the cost of my own solo life....she answered no, not having such bleak thoughts, thank you, laughed very hard and a superb shipboard romance was born....SEE HOW IT IS DONE???? CAN YOU DO IT??????????????????? I think you can!!!!

I have met wonderful passengers in the laundry rooms. I have met great people at the lifeboat drills and at embarkation. I have met awesome people in the buffet line and in the elevators. I have met many great people at the various parties in the Queens Room. YOu can make friends power walking around the promenade deck, in the fitness center or at your large table in the dining room. Or the open sittings for breakfast and lunch. I have met the most friendly people in the world on my last two crossings....but I didn't do it by hiding out in my cabin...hoping passengers would just knock on my door asking me to play shuffleboard or join them for bridge in the Atlantic Room..BTW, I DON"T PLAY BRIDGE!!!

If you are friendly and fun other passengers will be drawn to you and by the end of the crossing you can have scores of new friends many of whom you will see the next time around. these passengezrs will be so happy you took this journey BECAUSE THEY WOULD NOT HAVE MET YOU OTHERWISE. It is all up to you!!!!

This is true: Some of the married passengers you meet will be SO ENVIOUS that you are single on the Queen Mary and they are not!!!! THEY WILL BEG TO TRADE PLACES WITH YOU!!!!

A SPECIAL STRATEGY FOR QUEENS ROOM PARTIES: Of course I realize that it can be rather awkward at the various parties in the Queens Room if you are traveling alone. No one wants to enter this wonderful room and just stand there alone drink in hand (Beause all the seats are taken) as coupled up passengers are having just the greatest time chatting it up. This is what I do: Get to the affair early and get a good place in the line. You will find a seat as you are early. As the affair proceeds you will find passengers asking you if they can join you. Of course you say YES and the next thing you know you are making new friends. None of this standing alone drink in hand wishing you could just jump overboard....OKAY????? SO ALL YOU SINGLES, BOOK THE QUEEN MARY NOW!!!!

Thanks for reading....

TO BE CONTINUED.

DECK CHAIR.

Edited by deck chair

Thank you Deck Chair - you have given some great tips there. I'm travelling solo next year on a T/A back to back, and at times can be a little shy, but having read your inspirational post, I'm feeling so much more positive about the experience. I particularly like the "arrive early" part, and shall definitely do that. As for shipboard romance . . . . . . . . .. well, who knows? :)

Edited by eratog2

The Queen Mary fosters a VERY social environment. If you are a friendly sort you will meet all sorts of passengers on this ship. BUT YOU MUST REACH OUT!!!! You must be engaging. Ask questions!! People love talking about themselves!!! Do not be a wall flower!!!!! You will find most of the other passengers, single or not, will be very receptive to your friendliness. (YOU MAY SAFELY ASSUME THAT THOSE WHO ARE NOT ARE JUST TROUBLED SOULS AND ARE MOST PROBABLY HOPING THE SHIP WILL JUST SINK INTO THE WAVES.)

It should be noted that those who are not receptive to friendly overtures, may in fact be extremely busy noting all the things that they perceive are currently going wrong with their voyage. And this is no easy task; how else are they to return here and regale us all with tales of the "inedible" food, decrepit ships and terrible service that to them epitomizes Cunard.

With these individuals may I suggest a different tack other than being positive. Try engaging them by striking up a conversation about how (insert name of whatever Cunard ship you're currently on) isn't as good as the QE2. Now that you've captured their attention you can further ingratiate yourself with a conversation about how terrible the food & service is, and that this is symptomatic of the cost-custing that Carnival (feel free to use Princess here if you wish) has implemented.

Make sure you really emphasize the Carnival connection. Make sure everyone that's within earshot hears your disdain.

Of course these suggestions will only work with a particular sort of passenger. Do not try these suggestions on passengers who you observe enjoying themselves and having a good time.

Edited by Whitemarsh

When my wife and I were on QV in July I smiled and said good morning/afternoon/evening to everyone I passed or encountered at dinner, in bars, shops, etc; I got the same response back from 95% of the people I met, the ones that ignored me or just snorted or whatever I just ignored. I have found, not just on cruises, that you have to reach out to other people, some are shy and find it difficult to talk to others, so give them the opportunity by speaking first, works for me anyway. ;)

Contrary to some of the suggestions made by others on this Message Board, I have found that it is the wonderful passengers I have met on board QM2 and QE2 that have been the highlight of my travels on Cunard.

Louise D, while I have not sailed on QE2, my experience mirrors yours regarding our fellow passengers on QM2. With rare exceptions, I have encountered interesting, funny, and accepting people on board.

Cheers,

Salacia

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” - Maya Angelou