Cost Cutting: Captain's Circle Cocktail Party

ONT-CA

As is most things in life it comes down to choice. If you don't like them, don't go. If you do enjoy them, as seems apparent by the way people line up a half hour before their scheduled time, then go. I have no problem with watered down free drinks. Now if I was paying 5 or 6 bucks for them I'd have a problem. I don't think they should be only for plat or elite. When we first started cruising it was a nice perk. We're now elite and quite happy with the perks we get, so don't need a special Captains Circle party just for plat and elite as well. I do have to agree that they have become somewhat overwhelming with so many people attending, but we always seem to get a drink and a tid bit to munch on. For us it's about meeting people. Not too concerned about meeting the captain or getting a picture of him. Never could understand why people are so concerned about who the captain is on a ship. I do have to admit that we've been to the top 40 most traveled lunch a couple of times and that it was very nice to meet the captain and have a picture taken with him at that function, but that's a whole other ball of wax. Seems people comment on how perks are being taken away over the years and yet they seem to be asking for this perk to be taken away. We still enjoy it after 21 cruises but if we stop enjoying it, we will simply make the choice of not going.

Beachbum

We enjoy the Captain's cocktail party and have attended many of them. We don't go for the quality of the drinks, but do enjoy a couple of them each. It's just one more activity that makes our cruise feel like a cruise...meeting the captain and other members of his staff. It is a very pleasant hour. :)

Why is it always on a formal night? I don't bring formal clothes and don't go.

On a 12 day cruise last fall they had enough Captain's Circle members to have 2 parties each day...one evening was formal & one was casual. On my recently completed 7 day cruise it was only on formal night so wasn't able to attend.

I agree that it should be raised to Platinum and above. If not then at least have something for Platinum and above in addition to the hor dourves in Skywalkers where no ID is even checked.

Anyone know what other cruise lines are doing these days for past cruiser parties?

Anyone know what other cruise lines are doing these days for past cruiser parties?

last month on HAL we were invited to a luncheon. As Diamond and Elite on RC and Celebrity it is a party similar to Princess.

~Doris~

While we dislike lines we have noticed that if one arrives on time (not early) the line actually moves fairly quickly - but only because the greeting line of ship's officers just say "Good Evening" and that's it. On the one occasion when it was more it was because we stopped to give the Captain a "You Made a Difference" card.

We've had some very memorable Captain's Circle parties, but that's because at those particular parties there was room to dance to the live show band before the ceremonies began. We often wonder why others waste the opportunity, but enjoy the applause even though we are average dancers.

We've also never had an issue with the drinks, and don't consider our choices to have been watered down.

We often have to make a choice on how we spend our evening, and because of scheduling dining takes priority.

I was wondering when I saw this thread if hubby and I would be in trouble, sailed on Crown two weeks ago and he won one of the bottles and I won another- sometimes my -split last name works to our advantage!

I do enjoy seeing who is most travelled and wondering if they were on the original Love Boat!

Last November on the Emerald was the worst party we had ever attended.It was very crowded, the food was cold and the drinks were watered down.

I would much prefer a drink voucher, but I'm open to see if any changes

are made for the Grand in April.

Last November on the Emerald was the worst party we had ever attended.It was very crowded, the food was cold and the drinks were watered down.

I would much prefer a drink voucher, but I'm open to see if any changes

are made for the Grand in April.

I don't know what they did on the Emerald, but the Grand had 3 captains circle parties on each our two cruises last month, and in the Vista lounge.

I agree that it should be raised to Platinum and above. If not then at least have something for Platinum and above in addition to the hor dourves in Skywalkers where no ID is even checked.

I liked the Elite Skywalkers thing on the Caribbean princess a few weeks ago. They checked cards and if anything, it was too quiet, very sparsely attended....

npkmef.jpg

More and more, I like to meet the captain, shake his hand, and look in his eye to see if I can guess whether he's one that would go down with the ship if need be.

As opposed to tripping and falling into a life boat. :rolleyes:

Archived