Cost Cutting: Captain's Circle Cocktail Party

ONT-CA

If they are looking for economies in this industry we would be the first to see phased out the Captain's Circle Cocktail Party. We no longer attend but when one reads the outcome, the crowd, the terrible drinks, etc., it appears to have passed its usefulness. We just heard from friends aboard a cruise that it took six (6) separate parties to accommodate the CC members aboard and of which we hear now number over 11 million worldwide. Sitting in the theatre holding one ticket good for one drink (and only awhile in attendance) does seem like it has run its course.

We tried to go on our last cruise, but as we got closer and closer to the line, it looked like a line on opening day for a fantastic, much awaited new roller coaster (my other passion.)

We skipped it and we'll never try again. I don't consider this a perk in any way. Why doesn't the captain give me a complimentary drink by just taking one charge off my bill before hitting my card or put a complimentary card good for one drink at any bar on the ship during the cruise in the little packet they put on my bed? ;)

They could have just changed the requirements to only allow Platinum and Elite to attend & when the day came that even that got to crowded just limit it to Elite only but instead created a zoo that no one wants to go to except the first time cruisers. Sometimes I really wonder how they dream up these ideas at their brain storming sessions to fix problems - It could be that the younger executives have never been on a cruise ship in their lives and their ideas look good on paper.

At least we get one decent drink for the occasion.

They could have just changed the requirements to only allow Platinum and Elite to attend

(This is not a complaint... )

It looks good on the perk list, though. That's most likely, their struggle.

As a lowly gold member, there's really no perks yet. The room card is pretty. :)

The list of perks is quite long, but you read them and they are nothing... a pin, a card, access to talk to someone about your membership on board, some stamps for your passport book..

So, when I found out we were "gold," and we looked through the list, I was thinking, "Oh, here's something... we get to meet the captain and have a free drink."

What I imagined that would be and what it actually was......:rolleyes:

Repeat: (This is not a complaint... )

Hi All

My thoughts on this,

Free drink voucher for in cabin when you board for all with a card

showing ship route date something you can keep

Captain along with senior officers do a welcome onboard video,

say a little about what they do, where you find them etc.

Future sales girl does her thing.

Captain does his speach gives us the hard sell, tells us about the ship, ports etc, and some Princess chat new ships etc

This can be repeated a few times as they wish

Then for say the top 200 a real party over a couple of hours

with senior crew present quality buffet with fruit carving ice things on display.

yours Shogun

They could have just changed the requirements to only allow Platinum and Elite to attend & when the day came that even that got to crowded just limit it to Elite only but instead created a zoo that no one wants to go to except the first time cruisers. Sometimes I really wonder how they dream up these ideas at their brain storming sessions to fix problems - It could be that the younger executives have never been on a cruise ship in their lives and their ideas look good on paper.

At least we get one decent drink for the occasion.

Most of the execs that make these stupid decisions are products of the "Peter principle". It works at GM-caused them to go bankrupt at our expense. They seem to have saved these jerks because they seem to be on the same track.

(This is not a complaint... )

It looks good on the perk list, though. That's most likely, their struggle.

As a lowly gold member, there's really no perks yet. The room card is pretty. :)

The list of perks is quite long, but you read them and they are nothing... a pin, a card, access to talk to someone about your membership on board, some stamps for your passport book..

So, when I found out we were "gold," and we looked through the list, I was thinking, "Oh, here's something... we get to meet the captain and have a free drink."

What I imagined that would be and what it actually was......:rolleyes:

Repeat: (This is not a complaint... )

I suppose you're right about the perk looking good on paper. It attracts new potential cruisers to continue sailing at the cost of antagonizing the old timers and of course it's not a perk that they really care about anyway (although my wife keep dragging me to them).

Do you actually get to meet the captain? I've heard the drinks are watered down, so beer or wine is the way to go.

Honestly, I'd love to go to one, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up an hour+ to stand in line. It's one of the reasons I haven't seen a show yet... If I'm out and about on the ship, I don't want to just stand there. It's a bit like torture for me. I stand in line at theme parks all the time. I cruise to get away from that type of trip.

Hi All

My thoughts on this,

Free drink voucher for in cabin when you board for all with a card

showing ship route date something you can keep

Captain along with senior officers do a welcome onboard video,

say a little about what they do, where you find them etc.

Future sales girl does her thing.

Captain does his speach gives us the hard sell, tells us about the ship, ports etc, and some Princess chat new ships etc

This can be repeated a few times as they wish

Then for say the top 200 a real party over a couple of hours

with senior crew present quality buffet with fruit carving ice things on display.

yours Shogun

Great Idea! :)

(and I'm not one of the top 200 yet)

You will meet all the senior staff, shake hands etc, sneak a photo.
Meeting the captain and his staff is the part of the event I could do without. It's also what makes the line so long and makes it move slowly. I'd love to be able to drop my invitation into the champagne bucket for a chance to win a doorprize and skip the line. Let me get into the lounge and have a couple of glasses of wine.

they tried a new thing on emerald princess having cc in atruim on a general night didnt last the hour + and wasnt a bad idea, i hate them long lines to meet capt,n we just skip them.

i like the idea of just letting the golds in on one night and plats and elites another night ,top 200 cruisers not for me i think the 2 cruises and upwards deserve the reward for returning

DH & I have always enjoyed the Captain's Cocktail Party with Princess and the other cruise lines we've sailed with. I have to say, we do not attend them for the drinks. The hors d'oeuvres are a nice touch. We attend BECAUSE we like meeting the Captain and shaking his hand, along with meeting other senior staff members. After all, if it weren't for them, we'd not be going anywhere on the cruise. It is so nice to meet these people especially for those times when you have to seek out their expertise because of a concern or, at best, in wanting to pay them a compliment.

I guess DH & I like to know the people behind the scenes. We also like hearing what they have to say at the Cocktail Parties about up-and-coming ships, itineraries, etc.

Also, since we are just "Gold" Members with Princess (along with being on the lower end of the totem poles with other lines), we do appreciate these "perks" because it will be a long time before we get into the categories of major "perks".

Yes, I agree that there seem to be more and more people at these Cocktail Parties. We've notices that some lines are conducting two parties...one for the past passengers on the lower levels and another for the ones at the high levels.

We've never won a "prize", but still look forward to the possibility that we might someday as the party invitations are drawn. We hope that the "tradition" of the Captain's Cocktail Party will continue for the past passengers. There are far too many "traditions" of cruising that seem to be going by the wayside these days.

Just our two cents...

Debjo

With all the complaining on this forum, it is easy to see why it is called Cruise Critic. I just wonder why anybody cruises and if so how do they have any fun.

What you see as complaining, I see as feedback. If you think the cruise lines aren't monitoring forums like this, you're wrong.

All companies monitor certain areas of the internet they deem important so they can see raw feedback with all the emotions included.

It's extremely helpful for them - they get input that wasn't in the form of a survey. Surveys are great but very limited, because you have to ask people to put themselves in a box and almost none of us fix perfectly into the boxes they provided.

I think both cruises I've taken so far were darn near close to perfect and I loved every moment. There's always glitches, though. These are to be expected. You watch the glitches to ensure they don't turn into trends, which would be really bad.

You also look to see if something you know is off isn't working for the customer base, either.

Cheers!

We just returned from the Golden. As gold members (our 2nd cruise with Princess) we got written invitations in our cabin to come to the return passengers cocktail party. Is that different that the Captian's cocktail party? It was held on the 2nd formal night. There was several people in attendance, but my no means was it crowded. We got several free drinks and appetizers. The appetizers were a little over cooked though. They had trays of pre-made drinks, but the server stated he would get us anything from the bar. I got champagne cocktails, 6 of them. The Captain spoke as well as a staff member in charge of booking your next Princess cruise. They gave free bottles of champage to the 3 most traveled Princess cruise passengers. Afterward, anyone was invited on stage to take a picture with the Captian.

We just returned from the Golden. As gold members (our 2nd cruise with Princess) we got written invitations in our cabin to come to the return passengers cocktail party. Is that different that the Captian's cocktail party? It was held on the 2nd formal night. There was several people in attendance, but my no means was it crowded. We got several free drinks and appetizers. The appetizers were a little over cooked though. They had trays of pre-made drinks, but the server stated he would get us anything from the bar. I got champagne cocktails, 6 of them. The Captain spoke as well as a staff member in charge of booking your next Princess cruise. They gave free bottles of champage to the 3 most traveled Princess cruise passengers. Afterward, anyone was invited on stage to take a picture with the Captian.

The reason it wasn't crowded is that they held only one, right during the middle of dinner. Unless you ate at 5:30 or 9pm, you weren't going to one or the other. If that's a deterrent to keep people from going to the party, then just cancel it altogether and leave a free drink voucher in your room, to use anytime. Have the Captain show up the first formal night in the atrium, like they used to do (except you can do it sans drinks--they have the champagne fountain then now), for anyone who wants to meet him.

Other than the fact the drinks won't be watered down (unless they get them at the pool bar), it won't cost any more.

On the Crown from Southampton to NYC via Bergen, Lerwick, Faroes, Iceland, Greenland, and Halifax, we each got a coupon in the room from the Captain for a complimentary drink ("premiums extra") at any bar. Used in Adagio's up top in the stern for one of their more unusual concoctions (small drink, but nice waiter).

For the returning Princess cruiser events, there were several serparate "cattle calls" in the tiny Club Fusion bar at the rear where we had the line dancing. Very limited drink selection for this mid-day event - not really worth attending.

I have to admit that it's not a bad idea, since the drinks and food seem to get worse, and worse each year.

HOWEVER, I can't see Princess, or any other cruise line for that matter, forgoing this event. The simple reason being that Princess,[and the other lines], have a good half hour to advertize their future cruises to a captive audience!

john

Archived