Zaandam alaska sept 18 - not a review

startwin

Not really a review, just comments - good and bad - on some aspects of the cruise to Alaska. My third. And the first one in inclement weather - boy has it rained!

Embarkation: would have been no problem except for the hassle of having ordered a wheelchair for my DH, and bad attitude and disorganisation of the HAL port staff. A letter is going to Seattle about this one. When the wheelchair finally arrived, I ended up having to push my 220 pound DH with one hand while rolling the carry-ons with the other to the boarding ramp, where thankfully a crew member came running off the ship to assist. HAL needs a total shakeup of the Vancouver agents.

Cabin: Cabin 3370 on the Zaandam is partially under the galley and towards the aft, and I had read negative reports about this location. If you are the least bit sensitive to noise, avoid these cabins. However, if you can'tt get a balcony, this location is perfect.. just steps fron the lower promenade. The noise from the galley in the afternoon and late at night is excessive and you'll need earplugs. HAL should definitely sell cabins under the galley at a reduced ratr. For me and DH, we were able to put up with the noise and ignore it for the most part.

Smoking: Again, no problems but it might have been different if we'd had a balcony with smokers on either side. The only negatives... the number of butts being thrown overboard, unbelievable how people can be so careless. Smoking is allowed both sides of the lower promenade, making the walk unpleasant at times. And last, smokers took over all of the aft Lido, not just the corner where smoking is permitted.

Dining: We had open dining as we had booked so late, but I had great success in changing this once onboard, and we got a 2-top in a nice spot, for early dining. We've always sat at large tables and enjoy meeting new people, but we struck up conversations with people at adjoining tables anyway! So I would book a 2-top again.

Food in the MDR - a bit mediocre, but adequate. I find I am not eating much, and with walking 6 miles a day this may be the cruise where I lose weight! We are avoiding the Lido buffet as much as possible as we found this place brings out the worst in people. Lots of rudeness, pushing and shoving, and plates piled high then food wasted. We sometimes go in there in the afternoon for a cup of tea and a cookie or dessert,

Formal night - (the clothes police on this forum should retire and relax . They are just wrong in trying to impose their own views on other pax and hang on to an era long-gone.. I've even seen these critics dictate what material clothing should be made of. ) Some have said Alaska is more casual, but it's exactly the same as any other cruise. Formal wear was very much an option on this cruise. We enjoy dressing up, and I counted 4 tuxes. Most ladies were nicely dressed but not what I consider formal, but I don't care what other people wear anyway. I was just observing so I could report back. One amusing incident - a young-ish fellow turned up on the first formal night in jeans, a plaid workshirt and of course no tie. The maitre'd gave him a jacket to wear into the MDR, over his workshirt. Everyone certainly noticed him. There were also quite a few men in open neck dress shirt and no jacket. But I suppose the maitre'd felt they looked OK - at least it was a dress shirt! I noticed that many people changed after dinner, back to more casual wear. My DH and I stayed dressed up mostly because we couldn't be bothered to go back and change, and anyway, like I said - we enjoy dressing up. We don't get too many opportunities to do so these days.

Room Service - slow, but otherwise everything ordered turned up, and it was hot.

The crew is wonderful, as usual, and I even found the staff in the shops more pleasant than usual! Maybe because they are heading south after this last Alaska run.

Weather - as I type, we are leaving Skagway very late, and leaving people behind who have been stuck due to adverse weather. There is quite a storm going on. 4 ships docked here today instead of just the Zaandam, which was the only ship expected, but the others had to change their itinerary due to weather. Consequently, going into town was not pleasant as it was overwhelmed with pax, and rained all day. At 9pm the captain announced that we would be staying here for the night tucked in behind the Diamondf Princess , but as the Princess ship decided to leave at 10 pm, leaving 60 of it's pax behind, we had to leave also and get out to the safety of open waters. Rocking and rolling tonight! Feel so sorry for the captain, he's s had much to deal with in the past few days and now a lot of pax seem to think he can control the weather too! Many shore excursions cancelled or cut short due to weather, so they want their money back. Oh dear.

To be continued.....

startwin,

Thank you for posting your comments of the Zaandam.

So sorry to read of the problems you have experienced.

The attitude of those smokers is appalling.

The weather is so disappointing for you, after the beautiful sunshine we were treated to on the Volendam September last year.

Will look forward to your next posting.

Well, that was quite a storm overnight, but not as bad as I thought it would be. But we are rocking and rolling again today. I must confess to being very scared before we left Skagway, and wishing we could just stay in port for the night. We've been through some storms before, but nothing like this. The pax left stranded in Haines on the Alaska State Ferry are going to be flown down to join us in Ketchikan. The couple at the adjoining table in the MDR are amongst those stranded, so I expect we will get the full story when they come to dinner again.

Yesterday we got partway into Tracy Arm, then the captain decided to turn around and leave, as there was just too much ice and it was becoming unsafe. Cue the pax who were already upset about the weather to start demanding their money back because they "came all this way to see glaciers" and hadn't got anywhere near them. For the most part, pax were very understading and thankful to the captain for ensuring their safety.

The ship: I like this size ship and it's almost idential to my favourite - the Volendam. However, there are areas iin urgent need of attention and a refit should be done soon. Nothing that got in the way of us enjoying our cruise, but drapes that are stained, lots of threadbare carpets, several broken lounge chairs on the lower promenade, elevators that need maintenance and one aft elevator has 2x4's around the door frame.

Did I mention the crew is fabulous? They are great. Ran into one negative though, in the future cruise consultant (female) who evidently dislikes her partner and every time he began to answer one of my questions she rebutted everything he said, snapping and snarling at him! He seems a very nice person. it was very uncomfortable so I just took the cruise brochure and said I'll come back...... when she isn't there.

The outside decks are closed off again due to wind and stormy seas. However, some pax think that doesn't apply to them so they are removing the signs and just going out onto the lower promenade anyway. I went up to the gym instead.

Master Chef Dinner tomorrow night, so we decided to book Canelleto instead. However when I mentioned this to Raymond - the best Asst Dining Room manager we've met - he was quite upset and asked us to come in for half an hour before going to Canelleto. I'd rather just give our waiters their extra tips tonight instead. I'm not totally against the MCD performance, but we have been at so many and the menu is very limited.

Smoking was not permitted in the Crows Nest all day yesterday, as it was packed for the Tracy Arm trip. However, 2 guys insisted on lighting up and when the crew member asked them to stop they were very aggressive and rude to him. But they did stop. I later saw one of them out on the lower promenade - where all ashtrays had been removed for the day - and he flicked his butt overboard.

Ketchikan today. Will report back in tomorrow.

UPDATENo Ketchikan.... too dangerous to dock. Foul weather out there. No idea what is happening with our stranded pax who were to join us in Ketchikan, but I am sure HAL will take good care of them. Darn, really should have completed my shopping in Skagway, LOL. I think they should print t-shirts with I SURVIVED ALASKA SEPT 18-25

I'm enjoying your posts....I've been following various posts this week from people on the Zuiderdam, Statendam and hearing about the Westerdam. You all have had one VERY interesting week.....cruises that you definitely will not forget!! :o

I feel for the stranded pax, but understand why the ship needs to move on...looking forward to the rest of your story....:)

Hi startwin,

Thanks for your further comments.

I hope that some repairs will be made to those area you mentioned, before the ship begins her voyage "down under".

Am sure that HAL will be looking after those stranded passengers.

Hope you and your DH stay safe in the rough conditions.

Thank you for your reports. One cannot control for weather but I am glad to hear that the ship's captain is taking necessary precautions so that no one is injured in fould weather. It sounds like you have a good attitude and hope your next cruise is better.

Thank you for your live report. I am sorry to hear the weather is not ideal. Sounds like quite a rough week!!! Glad to hear the passengers are safe. How frustrating it must have been to those left behind in Skagway. Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Hi startwin,

Thanks for your further comments.

I hope that some repairs will be made to those area you mentioned, before the ship begins her voyage "down under".

Am sure that HAL will be looking after those stranded passengers.

Hope you and your DH stay safe in the rough conditions.

Hear !! - Hear !!

Saturday morning, somehow this captain is making the sail back to Vancouver last 2 days :confused: and we are still rocking and rolling! Almost everyone has been understanding with the exception of one of the large groups. I guess we can understand, they did come a long way just to see glaciers, but still, ship happens, as they say.

We are scheduled to dock in Vancouver at 6 am tomorrow.

The seas are gradually settling down, hopefully now we are entering the inside passage it will be smoother sailing.

Will check in again later.

To all those planning an Alaska cruise, don't let this put you off. It's been a really weird year for weather, and I'll still go again. So worth it.

Saturday morning, somehow this captain is making the sail back to Vancouver last 2 days :confused: and we are still rocking and rolling! Almost everyone has been understanding with the exception of one of the large groups. I guess we can understand, they did come a long way just to see glaciers, but still, ship happens, as they say.

We are scheduled to dock in Vancouver at 6 am tomorrow.

The seas are gradually settling down, hopefully now we are entering the inside passage it will be smoother sailing.

Will check in again later.

To all those planning an Alaska cruise, don't let this put you off. It's been a really weird year for weather, and I'll still go again. So worth it.

You have a great attitude!!! Glad you still enjoyed your cruise.

For those planning on a cruise to Alaska, this should help them understand why the September cruises are generally less expensive to begin with. Mother Nature is more likely to be disruptive the later you get into September. The later you book in September, the bigger gamble you are taking. So sorry to hear the large group on your ship was not informed about what the negatives are for a late September Alaska cruise.

Really, how could anyone not realize that the reason cruise fares are lower in September are because the weather is a lot more iffy. And to say that it was too bad a large group wasn't informed of this is just crazy. Have we no personal responsibility anymore. A lot of the fun of planning a cruise, or any other kind of trip, is finding out as much as you can about the areas you are visiting and the weather possibilities.

Really, how could anyone not realize that the reason cruise fares are lower in September are because the weather is a lot more iffy. And to say that it was too bad a large group wasn't informed of this is just crazy. Have we no personal responsibility anymore. A lot of the fun of planning a cruise, or any other kind of trip, is finding out as much as you can about the areas you are visiting and the weather possibilities.

If the large group was from a northern European country, retired people would be accustomed to take vacations in September, which are cheaper and quieter because schools are back, not because of weather. Skagway is farther south than Northern Europe and if you research temperatures, they look reasonable. It's hard to come across past data for sea conditions.

I'm amazed at North Americans choosing a cruise around Northern Scotland, well known in the UK for rough see conditions, and indeed the Prinsendam was damaged in a strorm there last September.

This has been a wild start to fall & winter weather. We were on the Volendam for it's last Alaska week and had two nights of wild weather.....now, I'm glad it was only two. This is NOT usual weather for SE Alaska or the west coast. Windstorms tend to blow in and blow through---not stack up or stay stuck. Best wishes to all on the ships....enjoy, as best you can, the roller coaster ride. It's windy (50 mph gusts) in the Seattle area today and tomorrow is predicted to be worse. We'll see what happens.......................

Final report unless anyone has any questions....

We got some good weather at last yesterday, sailing down the inside passage, and the rise in temp was very noticable when going to the outside decks. Some were calling it the cruise from hell, but I still had a good time:D While waiting to disembark this morning one member of the Brit group told me they had their tips removed from their onboard account, and are lobbying for their money back.

I never intended on doing a "live from...." account, but the way things unfolded I knew you guys would be interested.

Some conflicting opinions on missing Tracy Arm and Ketchikan. Quite a few people felt the captain "wimped out" in not going further into Tracy Arm to the glaciers, and also in not docking at Ketchikan. However, we did hear reports that the NCI Pearl tried to dock there and did mega-bucks of damage. Will take a look at their forum and see if there's anything about it there.

I don't think we will do Alaska again, but only because we've done it enough times. But if we did, I'd still pick the same week.... the weather this time was very unusual.

Oh, and to finish things off, today was probably the busiest day of the year at the Port of Vancouver, 3 ships at Canada Place and 3 over at Ballantyne.

By the way.... did I mention the crew??? Fabulous, and I think the happiest crew of all the HAL ships I have been on.

umm bad travel agent?:mad:

Final report unless anyone has any questions....

By the way.... did I mention the crew??? Fabulous, and I think the happiest crew of all the HAL ships I have been on.

thanks for a great report, alot of it just blows my mind, we just did Alaska the end of last month so I can picture many of the ports. I will have to go looking for some other reports, feel bad for the people left behind but like you said, it's sometimes tough calls a captain has to make. Glad to hear you made the best of it and enjoyed it as much as possible, and that you had some GREAT crew taking care of you! As for the others, isn't there always someone looking for a free handout?

My wife and I were on the Statendam for the same time period and we had the weather as well. 60 knot winds and 30 to 40 foot seas. Fun fun.

We missed Glacier Bay, Haines and Ketchican. We did get off in Juneau and took the Taku Lodge floatplane trip and it was wonderful.

Archived