I would appreciate comments on Cunard from Celebrity cruisers....

elena7seas

Things I like about Cunard:

• More formality
  • Afternoon Tea every day with white-gloved servers and live music
  • Dancing every evening to a live orchestra with vocalist
  • Entertainment more evident around the ship and a touch more high brow
  • More cerebral enrichment speakers
  • Wonderful library
  • Traditional shipboard feel

Things I don't like about Cunard:

• MDR service lacks finesse and willingness to go above and beyond
  • Dinner consisted of only 3 courses and we had to choose our desert at the beginning of the meal
  • Employees in general do not provide the VIP service I have come to expect from Celebrity

I would cruise Cunard again in a heart beat given the right itinerary at the right price. Look forward to trying grills class sometime.

We have only taken one Cunard short cruise on QM2 vs. many on Celenbrity so this is a one time impression.. agre with above posters comments so won't repeat them all:

There were more talented entertainers on QM 2, we enjoyed the pub lunch and Solarium, and an indoor atrium room --(can;'t recall the name) It had birds on the ceiling & great piano entertainer... The Canyon ranch spa area was superior in every way to Steiner on X...! Loved the artwork & art self-tour.. QM 2 also had a nice library & lovely but expensive shops on board..

But the food was not up to Celebrity standards, the buffet way too crowded, staff on bd. were helpful but more distant, fellow pax seemed more staid...but there is a very lively nightclub... Also , the vessel seemed very solid but also very interior--great for a crossing..or heading north up to Canada, but in the Carib I'd want a more outdoor feeling ship..

These responses have been so helpful. Thank you very much everyone, for taking the time to respond.

For anyone who has sailed on the QV, the QE2 and the QM2, which would you say is the best ship to try, to give us the best Cunard experience? We enjoy all of the Celebrity ships, but would have to say we prefer Aquaclass on the Solstice-class ships, primarily for the restaurant, Blu, which we very much enjoy.

If you really want to have the perfect Cunard experience then book a westbound transatlantic from Southampton to New York in Princess Grill on Queen Mary 2.

The Princess Grill was amazing, the food and service excellent. I can honestly say that I enjoyed dining in the Princess Grill more than eating in some of the better reviewed restaurants in Paris and New York.

For example, I enjoyed Cunard's Princess Grill to Benoît in Paris which a 1-star Michelin restaurant owned by Alain Ducasse.

In NYC I dined at Le Bernardin which is one of only five restaurants in New York awarded three Michelin stars. And again, I preferred the Princess Grill on QM2.

The Princess Grill suites are located on deck 10 which is perfect - not too high and far enough away from the tops of the lifeboats so your view is not impacted. The suites themselves are a very good size and with their walk-in wardrobe and very large en-suite they are extremely roomy.

As a Grill guest you get access to the Queens Grill lounge, Grill concierge and Grill deck. The Grill lounge is perfect for after dinner drinks where they have entertainment put on especially for Grill guests. Also, it too has the traditional afternoon tea, same as the Queens Room, however due to the more intimate setting the service is quicker and offerings are more varied.

It is lovely seeing everyone done up in their tuxedoes and evening gowns. On one formal night a lady entered the Princess Grill (and it is an 'entry' as there is a long promenade into the restaurant where you can view, and are viewed by, other diners) wearing a floor length gown that would not have looked out of place at the Oscars.

I have to be honest, there was one night where I was reminded of this scene from the movie 'Titantic'. There was such a good vibe; the food was excellent, the service impeccable, the conversation stimulating (and amusing) and everyone looked very smart in their evening wear.

web.jpg?ver=13169041140001

So if you are thinking of a Cunard cruise, and want the ultimate experience, then book Princess Grill, or Queens Grill, and do a transatlantic. You will not be disappointed.

We have only taken one Cunard short cruise on QM2 vs. many on Celenbrity so this is a one time impression.. agre with above posters comments so won't repeat them all:

There were more talented entertainers on QM 2, we enjoyed the pub lunch and Solarium, and an indoor atrium room --(can;'t recall the name) It had birds on the ceiling & great piano entertainer... The Canyon ranch spa area was superior in every way to Steiner on X...! Loved the artwork & art self-tour.. QM 2 also had a nice library & lovely but expensive shops on board..

But the food was not up to Celebrity standards, the buffet way too crowded, staff on bd. were helpful but more distant, fellow pax seemed more staid...but there is a very lively nightclub... Also , the vessel seemed very solid but also very interior--great for a crossing..or heading north up to Canada, but in the Carib I'd want a more outdoor feeling ship..

If you really want to have the perfect Cunard experience then book a westbound transatlantic from Southampton to New York in Princess Grill on Queen Mary 2.

The Princess Grill was amazing, the food and service excellent. I can honestly say that I enjoyed dining in the Princess Grill more than eating in some of the better reviewed restaurants in Paris and New York.

For example, I enjoyed Cunard's Princess Grill to Benoît in Paris which a 1-star Michelin restaurant owned by Alain Ducasse.

In NYC I dined at Le Bernardin which is one of only five restaurants in New York awarded three Michelin stars. And again, I preferred the Princess Grill on QM2.

The Princess Grill suites are located on deck 10 which is perfect - not too high and far enough away from the tops of the lifeboats so your view is not impacted. The suites themselves are a very good size and with their walk-in wardrobe and very large en-suite they are extremely roomy.

As a Grill guest you get access to the Queens Grill lounge, Grill concierge and Grill deck. The Grill lounge is perfect for after dinner drinks where they have entertainment put on especially for Grill guests. Also, it too has the traditional afternoon tea, same as the Queens Room, however due to the more intimate setting the service is quicker and offerings are more varied.

It is lovely seeing everyone done up in their tuxedoes and evening gowns. On one formal night a lady entered the Princess Grill (and it is an 'entry' as there is a long promenade into the restaurant where you can view, and are viewed by, other diners) wearing a floor length gown that would not have looked out of place at the Oscars.

I have to be honest, there was one night where I was reminded of this scene from the movie 'Titantic'. There was such a good vibe; the food was excellent, the service impeccable, the conversation stimulating (and amusing) and everyone looked very smart in their evening wear.

So if you are thinking of a Cunard cruise, and want the ultimate experience, then book Princess Grill, or Queens Grill, and do a transatlantic. You will not be disappointed.

Hcat and Whitemarsh: Thank you so much for your very helpful posts.

I am beginning to see a pattern in my research.

1. Sail on a transatlantic on the QM2.

2. Save my pennies to be able to afford one of the Grills.

3. Otherwise, stay with Celebrity.

Thank you very much for the picture from the movie "Titanic". It reminds me of my first Celebrity cruise on the Constellation out of New York, when all of the men at our table were dressed in a tux, (as were about 80%of the men in the dining room) and all of the women glittered. It certainly felt special.

Perhaps not such a good vibe:

Ruth (Rose's mother): Tell us of the accommodations in steerage, Mr. Dawson. I hear they are quite good on this ship.

Jack: The best I've seen, ma'am. Hardly any rats.

Hcat and Whitemarsh: Thank you so much for your very helpful posts.

I am beginning to see a pattern in my research.

1. Sail on a transatlantic on the QM2.

2. Save my pennies to be able to afford one of the Grills.

3. Otherwise, stay with Celebrity.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

This also concurs with Douglas Ward's opinion in the Berlitz Guide to Cruising, if this makes any difference to you. The book rates the various cruise lines, and while Celebrity tops Cunard in Britannia Class, Grills Class on the QM2 takes top honors.

If you were booking a hotel, would you be more inclined to choose a Ritz-Carlton/Four Seasons type property or a W? If you prefer the traditional cruise experience Cunard tries to be more like (or aspire to) Ritz/Four Seasons. Celebrity tries to be more contemporary and hip (for a more 40 something crowd)... I sailed QM2 during her inaugural season when everyone was complaining about her, and thought it was a good experience. I sailed her again 2 years ago for a Labor Day cruise to Canada. I thought the MDR service/food was great and Todd English was spectacular. I personally don't like the idea of so many formal nights, but it does lend itself to a sophisticated crowd and a different level of conversation, so for the short cruise it was fine and a nice change. Evening entertainment was OK - it's an early to bed ship unless the itinerary is one that attracts a younger crowd or there's a large younger group on board.

I've never done the Grills, but I imagine the ship within a ship aspect to it lends itself to a much higher level of personalized service.

But my 4 day cruise on Century last November was excellent, too. MDR service and food was comparable, as was service overall (if not slightly friendlier and less stuffy on Celebrity). Definitely a more active crowd and the entertainment/venue options are more varied to me (I don't ballroom dance).

Overall given the Cunard price difference (always seems much higher) and the fact that I'm just not as traditional, I'm more inclined to choose Celebrity as Cunard is comparable, not superior, in terms of food and service, at least when comparing non Grill. But Cunard is certainly a good experience and I would sail them again.

Archived