I would appreciate comments on Cunard from Celebrity cruisers....

elena7seas

We are happy Celebrity cruisers, but do like to experience something new from time to time. We are considering a Cunard cruise for the second half of 2012 and would appreciate any comments that you would like to make with respect to your recent experiences on any of the Cunard ships.

Of course I am looking at the Cunard boards and reviews as well, but I am very interested in the responses to the Cunard product from those who have experience on Celebrity ships as a basis for comparison.

Thanks for your help!

I've been on a lot of Celebrity cruises and one on Cunard (a QM2 crossing 3 years ago). I can't quite put my finger on exactly what I didn't like about Cunard, but it just didn't feel as authentic as Celebrity. Cunard seemed more mass market.

Maybe it has to do with atmosphere and decoration. I just feel more at home on Celebrity.

Or maybe it was the nature of the cruise - since it was a crossing, and the weather was cool and drizzly, we spent too much time inside the ship and maybe I just caught a case of "cabin" fever. :D

We love celebrity, but also really enjoy Cunard. Although, to compare it is more like Holland America than Celebrity. We have been on the QE 2, Qm 2 and QV. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer.

Thanks gui888 :).

What elements of Holland America do you find most like Cunard, as opposed to Celebrity?

What type of experiences (positive and negative) do you have on Cunard that you don't have on Celebrity?

We really enjoy the Solstice class ships, for all of the venues that are available, for AQ and the Blu dining experience, and for the sense of space that we find on Solstice class ships. In terms of the character and the decor of the Cunard ships, what would you say strikes you, in comparison to Celebrity?

What can we expect on Cunard in terms of entertainment, as compared to Celebrity?

We particularly enjoy the speakers' series on Celebrity. What did you think

of the speakers and port lectures on Cunard?

How does the level of service compare?

Which Cunard ship is your favourite?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer :).

Things I like about Cunard:

• More formality
  • Afternoon Tea every day with white-gloved servers and live music
  • Dancing every evening to a live orchestra with vocalist
  • Entertainment more evident around the ship and a touch more high brow
  • More cerebral enrichment speakers
  • Wonderful library
  • Traditional shipboard feel

Things I don't like about Cunard:

• MDR service lacks finesse and willingness to go above and beyond
  • Dinner consisted of only 3 courses and we had to choose our desert at the beginning of the meal
  • Employees in general do not provide the VIP service I have come to expect from Celebrity

I would cruise Cunard again in a heart beat given the right itinerary at the right price. Look forward to trying grills class sometime.

We sailed for 12 nights on the QM2 in a Princess Grill suite to the Caribbean. It was a fantastic experience. The service was top notch, and the food was very good. The decor is what I would describe as classic elegance, and the most of the public rooms are quite large, so we never felt crowded. Evening entertainment is not Cunard's forte. We did enjoy the shows (3) in the Planetarium. We have considered sailing with Cunard again, and if we do, it would probably be on the Queen Victoria.

We have done six cruises on Celebrity and two TA on QM 2. Regarding lecturers, we foung the ones on QM2 to be superior to those on Celebrity. . Regarding MDR service the first time (2008) we found it equal to Celebrity. (Our table was next to the captain's table. That may have made a difference.) The second crossing (last fall) it was OK but not as good. As was pointed out, the ship is large and there is no crowded feeling.

There both very different, and both have their own style. The afternoon tea is really nice as is the formality, if that's something you like. The food and service we found was much better on celebrity (especially the service), but the desserts on Cunard were actually much better! ( but we weren't in QG)

If go on the QM2 then you should really try it, its a great ship with lots to offer, but from what I have seen of the Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth I would choose celebrity over them, especially considering their not "ocean liners";):)

When they retired the QE2, we stopped cruising Cunard. The QM2 cruise we were on, in a QG suite, was really quite bad. The buffet area was quite dirty with food and drink never wiped from the tables. We paid a premium to dine in the QG only to find the same menu as the main dining room. Yes, there is an ala carte menu, but it didn't impress at all. They even allowed people in jeans into the QG on formal nights. The service was lazy and surly. While the ship is beautiful, since being taken over by Carnival Corp, Cunard has changed for the worst.

I sailed QE2 and QM2 - loved both ships- QM2 is stunning and one of the most beautyfull ship to sail with. For mroe details see my review´s ( link) . It is all said from the previous posters and I agree to everything they said. Service, Food , etc.

I am not willing to pay Cunard Prices( and they are way above X´s) if the Service level, food level are way beyond X. In fact X should buy QM2. LOL!

Michael

I've sailed the Celebrity Summit twice..2002 and 2011, Celebrity Constellation in 2003, Celebrity Millennium in 2008 and booked on the Millennium again in 2013. We sailed the QM2 in in 2010. I was always sorry to see a Celebrity cruise end but couldn't wait to get off the QM2!

I've sailed the Celebrity Summit twice..2002 and 2011, Celebrity Constellation in 2003, Celebrity Millennium in 2008 and booked on the Millennium again in 2013. We sailed the QM2 in in 2010. I was always sorry to see a Celebrity cruise end but couldn't wait to get off the QM2!

Hi Granny Di:

Could you please let me know some of the reasons that you were happy to leave the QM2? I have never been happy to leave any ship, so wonder about what troubled you about the QM2.

Thanks for your help.

We have sailed on both lines. Each has its own individual charm. However, if you are unable to sail in one of the Grill Class cabins, I would stick with Celebrity.

HI Susietb:

What did you find problematic about the Britannia class ? (hope I have the name right for the non-Grill class).

Things I like about Cunard:

• More formality
  • Afternoon Tea every day with white-gloved servers and live music
  • Dancing every evening to a live orchestra with vocalist
  • Entertainment more evident around the ship and a touch more high brow
  • More cerebral enrichment speakers
  • Wonderful library
  • Traditional shipboard feel

Things I don't like about Cunard:

• MDR service lacks finesse and willingness to go above and beyond
  • Dinner consisted of only 3 courses and we had to choose our desert at the beginning of the meal
  • Employees in general do not provide the VIP service I have come to expect from Celebrity

I would cruise Cunard again in a heart beat given the right itinerary at the right price. Look forward to trying grills class sometime.

Thanks for the details, Rolfecms. I am surprised at the comments that I have been reading about "the lack of finesse" and "the lack of effort" on the part of service personnel. Somehow I had always thought that those were areas where Cunard would excel.

I sailed QE2 and QM2 - loved both ships- QM2 is stunning and one of the most beautyfull ship to sail with. For mroe details see my review´s ( link) . It is all said from the previous posters and I agree to everything they said. Service, Food , etc.

I am not willing to pay Cunard Prices( and they are way above X´s) if the Service level, food level are way beyond X. In fact X should buy QM2. LOL!

Michael

HI Michael:

Thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of your review. I enjoyed it very much.

I was sad to read about your experience with the lack of service in the Dining Room. That would be a big problem for my husband and myself. The only cruise where we ever had any real problems with the Main Dining Room was on the Serenade of the Seas, so much so that my dear husband refuses to sail again with Royal Caribean.

Perhaps I should sail Cunard by myself the first time and check it out ;). I noticed that the prices for Grills level is significantly higher. Can anyone tell me why the difference in price would be worth it to you?

We usually sail Concierge Class or Aquaclass on Celebrity, with two experiences in a Sky Suite. I find the difference in price on Celebrity is not huge, and we have found the accompanying perks to be well worth the small added cost.

Hi Elena7seas! I am booked on Celebrity for the first time and cant comment on that line yet. I have been on QM2 several times and hope Celebrity lives up to my expectations. The QM2 was spectacular in many respects. The ship was always immaculate, esp the restrooms. I think several things set it apart from other lines including the Planetarium shows, the best library at sea, and huge ballroom with fabulous orchestra.

The treats served at afternoon tea (and the TEA itself) were to die for. (the tea service on Carnival tasted dry and tasteless). I sailed in a hurricane and the ship was very stable. I felt very safe knowing the construction of that ship. I was once upgraded to Princess Grill which was wonderful. There was a separate dressing area and huge balcony. I can only hope that my sky suite is a similar experience.

There is one major difference between Cunard's QM2 and every Celebrity ship that hasn't been mentioned yet. The QM2 is an ocean liner, which navigates rough seas significantly better than any Celebrity ship. That is why I plan to do a transatlantic crossing on this ship, even though it is much more expensive than Celebrity.

My wife and I had a wonderful cruise on the QM2 over the holidays, this past winter. Excellent ship with wonderful spaces, including a large wrap around promenade deck.

Cunard kind of feels like Holland America on steroids!

What they do well:

--great dining room cuisine

--excellent library

--uncrowded feel

--very formal

--excellent enrichment program

--variety of great deck spaces

--fast ship that handles the ocean well

--dining room is always open for meals

Where they fall short of Celebrity:

--their Alternative restaurants can't compare to Celebrity

--their buffet is basic and poorly designed

--service is good, but not great

--much more expensive

--cabins are basic and beds are poor

--gym is small

Dollar for dollar, you can't beat a Celebrity cruise.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We were also on QM2 last Xmas and found the service to be greatly lacking on Cunard. It is a beautiful ship and handles rough water great. The beds were the worst I have experienced on any ship, was exhausted by the time it was over. Very little night life on Cunard, other than lectures not much on sea days, no music by the pool, except for 1 hour once in 14 days. We are back to Celebrity very happily! Food is better on Celebrity as well, across the board, MDR, specialty, buffet and room service!:o

Cunard just doesn't fit us. We are casual elegant people..meaning we like to dress up for dinner but not like HS Prom. We were on the QM2 for 21+ days and there were 17 Prom Nights....We aren't dancers so the ballroom isn't of interest to us. Our cabin was underwhelming. MDR had the worst service of any of our 25 cruises. We complained early both verbally and written. The ship is wonderful for crossing the Atlantic but the weather doesn't lend it self to outdoor activities. Much of the time there is rain, wind, fog or all 3 together. My biggest problem with the QM2 was the cost. We booked early..BIG MISTAKE...so our in hull cabin on Cunard was 7 times more than my CC on the Summit.

We were offered a certificate from Cunard to use on a future cruise. My husband said not even if its free, however I would do another transatlantic. I just got off the Summit two weeks ago and had a wonderful time.

Our only experience on Cunard was a 4 day Pacific Coastal on the Queen Victoria this past February. But the responses here so far have been so negative that I felt compelled to add my 2 cents. We definitely enjoyed our cruise on the QV. I felt the MDR on the Equinox and the Britannia on the QV were pretty comparable in terms of service and food quality. We went to the Todd English specialty restaurant and would rate it as our No. 1 experience in a cruise ship specialty restaurant, better even than Murano or Tuscan Grille.

I would like to do a crossing on the QM2 just once to see what it's like. But I think that the dress code requirements would wear on me during a longer cruise. For a short cruise, it was fun to see everyone so dressed up -- men are supposed to wear a jacket even on casual nights. But I don't know if I'd want to deal with that on a 2 week port intensive cruise. I know there are more casual options but we didn't investigate them since we were on such a short cruise.

We like Cunard, but we love traditional cruising, and Cunard is all about the elegance and tradition of cruising. We have not found the food to be any better than Celebrity/HAL, better than Princess. I booked from a mailer that had good prices, and got three price drops and an unexpected price drop.

A balcony is a splurge for us, and would never book the grills because we cherish having familiar tablemates, and with the open seating times in the grills, you might be at a large table and never see your tablemates if you like different times.

Oh, and our beds on QM2 were every bit as comfortable as HAL and Carnival, oceans better than Princess. My CC bed on Solstice was MUCH nicer than mt beds on Summit. EM

These responses have been so helpful. Thank you very much everyone, for taking the time to respond.

For anyone who has sailed on the QV, the QE2 and the QM2, which would you say is the best ship to try, to give us the best Cunard experience? We enjoy all of the Celebrity ships, but would have to say we prefer Aquaclass on the Solstice-class ships, primarily for the restaurant, Blu, which we very much enjoy.

Archived