Regatta's engine problems

Caroldoll

When on the Regatta for the August 26 sailing, the captain said they were waiting for parts. The ship arrived in a couple of ports late, but that was due to winds and rough seas- I have the empty Bonine bottle to prove it.

Does anyone know if these have been solved? I think they were going to do them a couple of weeks ago. Are they on time and not missing ports?

I have friends that just returned from a trip on Regatta about a week ago. They had a wonderful cruise. Plenty of stories but did not mention and problems with engines or missed ports. They booked another cruise on the same ship.

When on the Regatta for the August 26 sailing, the captain said they were waiting for parts. The ship arrived in a couple of ports late, but that was due to winds and rough seas- I have the empty Bonine bottle to prove it.

What's with the Bonine! Other than the weather, we had a great cruise. Candied ginger does the same for an upset stomach. Should have asked the head waiter in the Terrace Cafe,

What's with the Bonine! Other than the weather, we had a great cruise. Candied ginger does the same for an upset stomach. Should have asked the head waiter in the Terrace Cafe,

Maybe your Deck 6 was somehow not rolling and shaking? We were next door neighbors to Benita on Deck 7 and the Meclizine we took was necessary for this trip, the roughest we've ever experienced, and we have even cruised to Alaska round trip out of San Francisco to Alaska returning in October. So it's not just the time of year.

Come to think of it, we probably took the Meclizine (aka Bonine, Antivert, Dramamine Less Drowsy) with all sorts of ginger. Ginger ale. Ginger candy. (But we know that it's the Meclizine that does the best job.)

I noticed the most "ship shaking" during the middle of the night. Perhaps the Captain thought we wouldn't notice then, so he could retract the stabilizers. :rolleyes:

P.S. We nevertheless had a wonderful trip and will return to Oceania.

In order to ask the head waiter for the ginger, we would have had to be able to get out of bed and get to the Cafe - I was down for the count on the way to Hubbard Glacier, but luckily recovered enough to have a great time at your party.

In order to ask the head waiter for the ginger, we would have had to be able to get out of bed and get to the Cafe - I was down for the count on the way to Hubbard Glacier, but luckily recovered enough to have a great time at your party.

Thanks Benita, and Michael. One of the servers in the Terrace Cafe mentioned the candied ginger. One of the head waiters tried to put me off,but I perservered.After getting them I popped one just to be safe. Worked wonders. Next O cruise, ask for it in the Terrace Cafe.

Thanks Benita, and Michael. One of the servers in the Terrace Cafe mentioned the candied ginger. One of the head waiters tried to put me off,but I perservered.After getting them I popped one just to be safe. Worked wonders. Next O cruise, ask for it in the Terrace Cafe.

Or bring it from home. Trader Joes and Whole Foods both carry candied ginger.

I found some ginger candy by the Ginger People i did not need them but one of the new crew was having some issues so I gave him a bunch

Flat ginger ale or green apples will also work for some

Lyn

They had ginger candy in a dish just outside the main dining room. It was good and had a strong flavor! DH had to wear a patch behind the ear for portions of the cruise but the candy was fine for me.

We had worse seas on the maiden voyage of the Marina. Couldn't make it into port in Malaga.

BTW, thanks for the bag and for inviting us to your party! We had a good time even though the weather wasn't cooperating at Hubbard Glacier.

We were told by the ship's doctor to throw away the patch and use Bonine. He said the patch was causing more problems than it was worth, it is too strong. So far the Bonine has worked great for over 10 cruises.

When we have had rough weather there has always been dishes of candied ginger all around the ship on the R ships.

We also hedge our bets by making sure there are several cans of ginger ale in the refrigerator. It works just like the candied ginger.

Just got off Regatta SF - NY on Friday. Who knows if their engine problems are solved or if, indeed, that was just a lame excuse for other internal problems. Oceania no longer has any credibility as far as we're concerned.

We had two ports cut from our itinerary, Acapulco and Savannah, GA. First, it was Cabo San Lucas, and apparently there was such a storm of protest that O reinstated Cabo and took away Acapulco.

The day before departure, O informed us that Savannah was cut from our schedule because of "berthing conflicts" but we would be staying overnight in Charleston. I'm sure they didn't want to give us too much prior notice because of the furious reaction that would come with that announcement.

We talked to a couple two days out who were shocked to find out from US that Savannah would not be visited. They were travelling with two other couples who didn't have a clue either. This is the way O communicates, like they're cultivating mushrooms.

According to Dottie, our cruise director, "Savannah dropped Oceania, Oceania did not drop Savannah." Pu-leeze. What about all the other ports that they were jumbling?!

Anyway, the closer we got to Savannah, knowing we would not be docking there, the closer we got to mutiny. People were absolutely furious.

They also cancelled Victoria on the cruise SF-Alaska-SF, just prior to ours because of "engine maintenance" but there was such a furor over that one also that they reinstated Victoria. Please don't tell us there are berthing issues.

We probably will never know the real story, but we certainly will never consider Oceania again and will spread the news far and wide about the treatment we got. Good luck to all of you with reservations.

FWIW, other cruise lines are dropping Acapulco due to the violence there. I'm leaving on a Celebrity cruise at the end of this month and Acapulco was dropped. Personally I enjoy having the people in charge look out for my well being. I like my head right where it's at. Too many people lost theirs there lately. From what I understand it's really in the cruise lines best interest to dock in Acapulco. It's pretty hard for them to take on provisions at Cabo with the tender boats. Most of them wouldn't cancel it unless it's really not safe.

I have also read that Savannah has a local political problem with cruise ships docking. There is a group of citizens that really don't want them there. Don't know if that had anything to do with your situation or not. I'm in no way defending the cruise line but sometimes things are they way they represent them, then other times................................:cool:

Changing ports at short notice isn't unique to Regatta.....my September 19th cruise from Istanbul to Athens on Marina dropped Kusadasi in favour of Izmir 3 weeks before sailing "due to berthing issues in Kusadasi"....this was in addition to the much earlier cancelling of the 2 Egyptian ports of call (fair enough with the political situation).

...if you actually take the time to carefully read what it says in the fine print at the back of an O brochure, or your cruise documents, you'd notice that it states quite clearly what they can do without any penalty to themselves. And that they reserve the right AT ANT TIME to change any scheduled ports or points of embarkation or final destination. This information is also found in the literature from all cruise ship companies. We've had port cancellations and changes on all of our cruises except one, so it is a pretty common occurrence...

...the only obligation to you that they point out is if the cruise is canceled they will refund your fare...

...if you actually take the time to carefully read what it says in the fine print at the back of an O brochure, or your cruise documents, you'd notice that it states quite clearly what they can do without any penalty to themselves. And that they reserve the right AT ANT TIME to change any scheduled ports or points of embarkation or final destination. This information is also found in the literature from all cruise ship companies. We've had port cancellations and changes on all of our cruises except one, so it is a pretty common occurrence...

...the only obligation to you that they point out is if the cruise is canceled they will refund your fare...

That is the difference between the Airlines which are selling TRANSPORTATION and a cruise ship, where the cruise experience is supposed to be primary.

JimandStan,

I have to disagree just a bit. Whereas many people choose a cruise for the cruise experience many others choose it for the itinerary and the opportunity to visit places they have never seen or wish to see again. In fact, Oceania touts itself for the breadth of its itineraries. That said, if it's not safe to dock, it's not safe and the Captain gets to make that call. I have found though that on my Oceania cruises I have missed more ports than on any other cruise line I have sailed on.

True enough, however, I'm not convinced that too many people would make allowances despite the weasel wording. While it justifies their actions to themselves it carries little weight with the paying customer particularly in a situation that does not seem to be clearly related to passenger safety (such as weather issues). In other words, just because they can do something, doesn't make it right.

The fact that the same "engine" issues have now arisen on 2 of the 3 R ships brings into question, at least for us, the reliability of the printed itinerary upon which we base our buying decision. This isn't helped by the fact that O's SOP seems to be to not communicate well/openly/honestly/prior to final payment (pick your preferred word/phrase) with it's paying customers. We are consistently surprised by the disconnect between what is, by most counts, a quality product on board and what I can only describe as a terrible back office.

I am still confused how we got from generator maintenance to engine problems :eek:

ALL cruise lines have the wording they can miss or change ports

Read some of the other forums plenty of upset people there also when they miss a port

Archived