Please help with my Day In Bermuda plans

NCTribeFan

I'm sailing on Carnival Glory on 10/16. We'll only be docked for a day-and-a-half, so I don't have much time to see the sights.

Initially, I had thought to take the ferry to St Georges, wander around, take a bus to Hamilton, wander around, have lunch at the Swizzle Inn, then the bus to Horseshoe Bay, relax a couple of hours, then bus back to Dockyards. Shower, dinner, then a pint at the Frog & Onion.

But then I looked at the ferry schedule and saw that the first ferry to St Georges doesn't leave Dockyards until 10 am. Given that we dock at 8 am, I was hoping to be off the ship immediately and on my way.

So, I'm thinking about reversing the order of my day. Since I'm not really a swimmer, being at the beach in the morning would probably work just as well.

Now I'm planning this:

Early breakfast, off ship quickly, purchase bus/ferry day pass

Bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach, relax for a couple of hours

Bus to Hamilton - lunch (Swizzle Inn?), abbreviated walking tour

Bus to St Georges - abbreviated walking tour, tea, more sightseeing

Last ferry back to Dockyards

Shower, dinner

Frog and Onion Pub for a pint or two

Being that we have so little time in Bermuda, I'd like to see as many of the sights as possible. I've downloaded the walking tours that are linked on these boards and need to decide what is a "must-see" for me and what I can skip.

I'm sailing solo and I like to pretty much have a plan in place. I'm not much for just getting off the ship and wandering around. I'm not interested in shopping. I'm not a military buff but have realized that I really enjoy wandering around old forts!

Any input as to timing, which bus, where to eat, where to have tea, in what order to do all this, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Your "reverse" plan will probably work out OK. For one thing, you'll avoid the rush of people trying to get on that first ferry to St Georges.

Bus to Horseshoe should be easy. Very nice beach, but in October, it might not be beach weather, so keep that in mind. If you want a plan B before going into Hamilton, consider the Gibbs Hill lighthouse. Or go directly to Hamilton and spend more time there. The cathedral is lovely if you like church architecture.

Bus to Hamilton and a walking tour is good, but the one mistake in your plan is the Swizzle Inn. it isn't in Hamilton. It's between Hamilton and St Georges, so you would take a bus from Hamilton to the Swizzle Inn. After lunch, another bus gets you to St Georges.

I don't know what the ferry schedule is like, so you'll have to watch the time. I like St Georges and think it's worth a wander, especially if you like to take pictures.

There are links to bus maps and schedules on this board. And you can google Bermuda tourism and that should get you to their tourism site.

For your half day, stick close to the ship and do some sightseeing around the dockyard. The museum in the fort is good.

Have a wonderful time!

Thanks. Yes, I have already printed the ferry schedule and the bus route maps, but I wasn't sure which bus routes I needed to print out.

Like I said, I prefer to be prepared.

Thanks for that info about the Swizzle Inn. I need to print some detailed maps and highlight the stops I want to make.

Can someone let me know which particular bus routes I should be looking at so I can print out the schedules?

Thanks. Yes, I have already printed the ferry schedule and the bus route maps, but I wasn't sure which bus routes I needed to print out.

Like I said, I prefer to be prepared.

Thanks for that info about the Swizzle Inn. I need to print some detailed maps and highlight the stops I want to make.

Can someone let me know which particular bus routes I should be looking at so I can print out the schedules?

Hi! Google bermuda-attractions.com and go to local transportation, you will see the bus routes and schedule also the ferry info.

Dave

Yes, like I said, I already have links for the schedules and the maps. I just was hoping someone would chime in and say "take bus #x to someplace, then bus #y to next place, have lunch here, then take bus #z to there, don't miss this place, have tea at that place, and be sure to get the ferry at whatever time."

:D

Yes, like I said, I already have links for the schedules and the maps. I just was hoping someone would chime in and say "take bus #x to someplace, then bus #y to next place, have lunch here, then take bus #z to there, don't miss this place, have tea at that place, and be sure to get the ferry at whatever time."

:D

Hahahah you sound like me! this is awesome..when someone does tell you what to do and when, forward it to me will ya?! lol I'm less than a week out and feel totally unprepared since I have yet to decide what I want to do and when. I want this to be relaxing and I tend to go overboard

Well, I usually find independent excursions. I detest ship excursions where you spend more time herding people on and off buses than you do doing whatever.

But since I only have one full day in Bermuda, I really wanted to see as much of it as possible without being too exhausted that evening to visit the pub!!

;)

Well, I usually find independent excursions. I detest ship excursions where you spend more time herding people on and off buses than you do doing whatever.

But since I only have one full day in Bermuda, I really wanted to see as much of it as possible without being too exhausted that evening to visit the pub!!

;)

I hear ya I have the Frog and Onion on my list as well on the evening of our first night there.

Anyhow I used the poster information above to find the bus routes and it looks like bus number three and number 1 will take you from Hamilton to St. Georges and stop at Crystal Caves(also the same area as Swizzle Inn) in between. The number 3 looks to be more direct from Hamilton to Crystal caves/Swizzle Inn and then both are pretty much direct from there to Hamilton(while going through the airport area).

If you want to maximize one day in Bermuda w/out a ship tour, a private guide or taxi tour from the dock is the easiest way to do it and w/out all the hassle of changing buses etc.

This is the best idea!!!!!

My wife and I used Collin Jennings in June. We saw more on our 6 hour tour than a lot of people do in 3 days. Colin was Great!!!!

This is the best idea!!!!!

My wife and I used Collin Jennings in June. We saw more on our 6 hour tour than a lot of people do in 3 days. Colin was Great!!!!

We also spent a day with Colin in June and I agree! With traffic etc. it was the much preferable plan for us than figuring out buses, schedules etc.

But I'm solo. Aren't the drivers something like $40/hour! :eek:

I can't do that by myself, especially since I'm planning on making it a full day. If there were a car full, then maybe. Besides, the idea of paying a driver to sit while I wander around town and look at the sights doesn't appeal to me, either.

I don't just want to sit and be driven around. I want to get out and explore (after lying on the beach for a couple of hours).

Oh well. Guess I'll figure it out within the next couple of weeks!

But I'm solo. Aren't the drivers something like $40/hour! :eek:

I can't do that by myself, especially since I'm planning on making it a full day. If there were a car full, then maybe. Besides, the idea of paying a driver to sit while I wander around town and look at the sights doesn't appeal to me, either.

I don't just want to sit and be driven around. I want to get out and explore (after lying on the beach for a couple of hours).

Oh well. Guess I'll figure it out within the next couple of weeks!

Determine what you want to see. Forts,lighthouses,caves,churches etc along with there locations. The ferry and bus are very efficient but take time! If you have one day in Bermuda and want to spend a few hours at the beach, everyone here is correct take a private tour. See if you can find a total of 4-6pax to fill the cab and enjoy the rest of the area.

Dave

OK, now you're depressing me! :(

Again, I'm sailing solo. Those on my Roll Call all have their plans or are just winging it. I'm not going to invite myself to tour with people!

I don't need to spend a couple of hours at the beach. I just need to be there for a bit and see pink sand. I don't need to swim. That will cut down on what I need to drag around in my tote bag.

So, it looks like I can take Bus #7 to Horseshoe Bay, and then catch it into Hamilton.

I think I'll be happy just walking around the fort there.

Then I can take #1, 3, 10 or 11 bus from Hamilton and stop at Swizzle Inn.

Then take any of those four into St George.

Wander around, or I believe I read about a train in St George? Maybe that would be a good option to see some sights rather than hoofing it around. I could probably see more in less time.

I really don't like the idea of standing in line for 45 minutes for the last ferry, but it looks like the next earlier one is at 3:45. Not the best way to maximize what little time I have.

Here's a thought - maybe take a bus back to Hamilton, and get a later ferry from there back to Dockyard, since they appear to run every 30 minutes from Hamilton to Dockyard.

Does that seem more reasonable?

I'm afraid I'm not very good at reading bus schedules. I see that the #7 bus has a note that the time from Dockyard to Hamilton is 62 minutes., and the #1 from Hamilton to St George is 65 minutes.

Can someone chime in and give me a little more help with how to actually get to the beach, and how I manage to get another bus into Hamilton, if there isn't actually a stop there. Or is there?

If not, do you just tell the driver where you are going? And then just stand by the road and flag down any bus heading in the right direction?

:confused:

Then I can take #1, 3, 10 or 11 bus from Hamilton and stop at Swizzle Inn.

Take the route #10 or #11 bus to SI. Their route is more direct and faster.

I see that the #7 bus has a note that the time from Dockyard to Hamilton is 62 minutes., and the #1 from Hamilton to St George is 65 minutes.

Yes, it is a 62 minute ride by bus to/from Hamilton from/to the Dockyard. The route #1 bus from Hamilton to St George is 65 minutes; the route #3 bus, 58 minutes; the route #10 or #11 bus, 50 minutes.

I really don't like the idea of standing in line for 45 minutes for the last ferry, but it looks like the next earlier one is at 3:45. Not the best way to maximize what little time I have.

If you don't finish your tour in time to catch the 3:45pm ferry back to the Dockyard and you don't want to wait for the last ferry at 6:15pm, then taking the bus back to Hamilton is a good call. But make sure you take the route #10 or #11 bus.

Can someone chime in and give me a little more help with how to actually get to the beach, and how I manage to get another bus into Hamilton, if there isn't actually a stop there. Or is there?

When you board the route #7 bus at the Dockyard, politely inform the driver that your destination is Horseshoe Bay Beach. You'll be dropped at the stop closest to the beach. As you leave the bus, ask the driver if this stop is where you'll catch an inbound bus to Hamilton. It should be the stop; memorize the location. There should be a pink pole nearby that indicates it to be an inbound to Hamilton bus stop.

just stand by the road and flag down any bus heading in the right direction?

Only if you are at a designated bus stop; and would only work for inbound buses. You have to be careful on certain outbound buses. Not all outbound route #7 buses will take you to the Dockyard; not all route #1 and #3 buses go to SG. The destination of the bus will be displayed; and you can asked the driver if you become confused.

I'm attaching a map with the bus routes and some destinations.

route-map-v3.jpg

SBtS

Thank you SO much. That's very useful info.

Sadly, I see that there are issues (again) with the buses and many are out-of-service for repairs, so I may need to re-think (yet again) my plans.

Here's just a piece of the article that caught my attention...

"The severe shortage has caused huge gaps in the timetable with school routes and tourist services from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay being axed."

Maybe I should consider just getting a taxi from the dock to Horseshoe Bay.

Or maybe just skip the beach altogether and take the ferry to Hamilton, bus to Swizzle Inn, bus to St George, ferry back.

Or bus to beach, then into Hamilton, walking tour, ferry back and skip St George.

Sigh. It just isn't possible to see even the few things I want to see and do in one day. Guess I'll just have to plan a return trip!

I understand your concern, but don't waste time worrying about the bus situation since you really have no control over it.

Have alternate plans for all situations and keep an open mind. Make sure to read the posts of returning cruisers from Bermuda here on CC, and read the news at the Royal Gazette http://www.royalgazette.com/section/news to see if there is a real problem or if it was just a slow news day.

I agree with what you wrote - now you have a reason to return. I like that thinking.

SBtS

If it seems like I can only do two of three, I'll probably choose to visit the towns and skip the beach. I'm really not a beach person (except for Half Moon Cay, which I think is the most beautiful place I've ever been).

I realize Horseshoe Bay is gorgeous, so it would be nice to see it.

Maybe I should do the towns on Wednesday, when I have a full day (and late dinner on the ship) and go to the closest pink-sand beach on Thursday morning. Maybe West Whale Bay. Pink sand and closer. We sail on noon, so maybe that should be my plan.

Then I wouldn't need to rush on Wednesday. Just take the ferry to Hamilton early, do a good walking tour and see the fort, bus to Swizzle Inn for lunch, on to St George, more walking. Bus back to Hamilton. Cup of tea somewhere and a later ferry from Hamilton back to the ship.

Yeah, I think that might be a good plan! :D

Sailbadthesinner (by the way, I love the name!), I wanted to say that I love the map you have below and am trying to copy it so that I can print it out. However, all I get when I copy and paste is the left 2/3 of the map. Is there any way I can get it vertically, perhaps? Or is there a website that has that map? Help!

Thanks,

Bonnie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a difficult time finding the thread that has the walking tours of Hamilton and St George. I'm leaving work early today, and driving tomorrow, so really need to find those and print out some info.

I'm still really unsure of what I'm going to do with my full day.

Think it will be:

#7 bus from Dockyard to HSB as early as possible.

1 hour later, catch the bus into Hamilton. At the very least, walk around the fort

#10 or #11 bus to Swizzle Inn for lunch

on to St George for a brief walking tour

bus back to Hamilton, walk around the town a bit

later ferry back to Dockyard

Thursday morning-thought I might walk to seaglass beach, but since we sail at noon, it would be a hurried effort. Probably just walk around Dockyard, maybe to the museum.

I've been reading your thread to get ideas and advice for my own days in Bermuda (next week!) and I saw your request for the walking tour links. I'm not sure if these are the ones you're looking for, but here you go...

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/0091020033.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/0091020034.html

Have a great trip!!!

Archived