Hotels in southampton near the Coach station

Walkable from coach station with luggage (closest first)

Etap

Ibis

Novotel

Premier Inn West Quay

Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Ave.

De Vere Grand Harbour

(reverse the list for walking from central rail station.

taxi (but still easily walkable to city centre):

Southampton Park Hotel

Jury's Inn

Premier Inn New Road

Mercure Dolphin Hotel

There are also boutique hotels & B&B and mebbe one or two I've overlooked.

Many more on the city outskirts & local countryside, but really warrant a car. And some in nearby towns & villages are close to rail stations.

JB :)

I was reading some tripadvisor reviews of B&Bs in Southampton and one room required sharing a bathroom with others. No matter how quaint or highly rated that place is, no thanks. Still thinking about changing reservations from White Star to that Premier Inn in West Quay that everyone seems to like. Lots of time until next summer to decide whether to make that switch.

I think it only has a hammock, and a bucket :D

He He. :D

Premier Inn is a national hotel chain and all their hotels have almost identical room layouts. You should find a good double bed, full ensuite with bath/shower, WC and wash basin and a flat screen TV in the room. The hotel will have a small bar and restaurant so you might want to check out the meal deals. I have stayed in several of their hotels including the new West Quay and find them convenient, clean and comfortable.

I thought that was the story...

such quotes like this make me think why bother, outside of USA, there are countries with modern Hotels with facilities?

JB that reply was not funny,your posts are more constructive? why bother to post if you have not used these hotels

JB that reply was not funny,your posts are more constructive? why bother to post if you have not used these hotels

It's okay to inject a bit of humor into these threads every once in a while. John is helpful to many of us on the other side of the pond and is appreciated.

From what I am seeing, Southampton hotel prices are relatively low, even for the four star inns. If I just wanted a bed to sleep in the night before the cruise, I'd consider the Premier Inn. But we're in for the day and will spend a little more to be on Oxford Street, especially since we're probably going to do thing there during the day and night.

Sadly would not make Premier Inn laugh,

Actually I think it probably would, Missus M. ;)

What wouldn't make them laugh, because its much closer to the truth, is the stick they've been getting on TV for their rather misleading "from £19 per night".

Out of their hundreds of hotels, at any time there's no more than a few rooms in a few hotels available at that price.

£40 to £60 is more the norm & they're decent value at that price. So their West Quay promo price of £29 (non-cancellable) is excellent value.

BTW Ljberkow, there's nothing to see or do in Oxford Street daytime. It is closer to the old town sights, but they're easily walkable from any city centre hotel. On the other hand, the White Star Rooms have an excellent reputation, much more individual & personal than the clones.

Thanks JB. I wasn't seeing the £29 price for the Premier West Quay for July 7, 2012 anyway. It's £77 and probably nothing special for an economy hotel. While I'm sure the hammocks are high quality and the buckets are cleaned in between guest stays, we'll stick with the White Star and come up with a plan for the day.

Thanks JB. I wasn't seeing the £29 price for the Premier West Quay for July 7, 2012 anyway. It's £77 and probably nothing special for an economy hotel. While I'm sure the hammocks are high quality and the buckets are cleaned in between guest stays, we'll stick with the White Star and come up with a plan for the day.

Premier Inn West Quay is still showing the £29 opening offer most dates thro to the spring, by which time I guess they reckon the place will be sufficiently well-established.

But I'm seeing £51 for your date.

£77 would be heavy :confused: - are you seeing the price in USD ???

£51 is about the mark, pricewise no advantage over the competition but a good location & decent reviews to date so I reckon they'll be pretty popular.

But the price gap to White Star has shrunk ;)

BTW, half a dozen ship's-crew were glad to have downed a few too many pints in The Grapes, in Oxford St.:)

You can read about them here

http://www.thegrapessouthampton.co.uk/

Premier Inn West Quay is still showing the £29 opening offer most dates thro to the spring, by which time I guess they reckon the place will be sufficiently well-established.

But I'm seeing £51 for your date.

£77 would be heavy :confused: - are you seeing the price in USD ???

£51 is about the mark, pricewise no advantage over the competition but a good location & decent reviews to date so I reckon they'll be pretty popular.

But the price gap to White Star has shrunk ;)

BTW, half a dozen ship's-crew were glad to have downed a few too many pints in The Grapes, in Oxford St.:)

You can read about them here

http://www.thegrapessouthampton.co.uk/

The only rate I saw for a double was for "premier flexible" and it was £77. No "premier savings" rates came up. The Premier City Centre hotel was closer to the £51. We take one big vacation a year and there is no reason to try to save £48 (probably less because White Star rate includes wifi) during vacation. I think we may take your suggestion on getting the train to Salisbury to HOHO for Stonehenge. My wife has been before we were married (decades ago) and also wouldn't mind getting back. So, we'll do that and then head back and get dinner and enjoy Oxford Street.

The only rate I saw for a double was for "premier flexible" and it was £77. .

Double-checked.

My mistake I guess. :o

I must have hit a bum date, cos I'm showing £77 as well.

But mixed rates, as low as £39, the same week.

The effects of variable pricing, you must have picked the same date as a group booking. :rolleyes:

Have a great vacation

Double-checked.

The effects of variable pricing, you must have picked the same date as a group booking. :rolleyes:

Have a great vacation

Could be a group booking combined with a very popular vacation week and a Saturday in July. They probably know that they can book the hotel for the 77 or even more. It's not a big deal. I got a good rate for my pre-cruise hotel in Paris the three nights before we head to Southampton. I went with a tripadvisor favorite over there, Gramont Opera. But I haven't seen any comments on Cruise Critic about that place.

JB, do you have any recommendations for lunch and pub at the Albert Dock in Liverpool? We are doing a 3-hour Pool of Life Beatles Tour in the morning and then will hit Albert Dock for lunch, put, and probably Beatles Story attraction.

JB, do you have any recommendations for lunch and pub at the Albert Dock in Liverpool? We are doing a 3-hour Pool of Life Beatles Tour in the morning and then will hit Albert Dock for lunch, put, and probably Beatles Story attraction.

Sorry, can't help with Liverpool cos I've only ever visited a few times, cc's resident Liverpool expert Towncar T seems to have disappeared in recent months, but can I suggest:

- scratch around thro Towncar T's posts, here's a link to his posts that include the words Liverpool Albert

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=25067198

- ask as a fresh question both on this forum and on the "UK cruisers" forum which is also frequented by scousers (Liverpudlians), ideally using Albert Dock in the first few words.

Double-checked.

Have a great vacation

On a later day in July, 2012 (but before the start of the Olympics), we booked this hotel for £45 (thanks, JB!)--as of know it's almost £130 cheaper to spend the night before our cruise at that hotel rather than a Premier Inn in central London.

Les

What wouldn't make them laugh, because its much closer to the truth, is the stick they've been getting on TV for their rather misleading "from £19 per night".

Out of their hundreds of hotels, at any time there's no more than a few rooms in a few hotels available at that price.

I've managed to get a room at the Premier Inn West Quay for £19 so they do exist.

H

Premier Inn is a national hotel chain and all their hotels have almost identical room layouts. You should find a good double bed, full ensuite with bath/shower, WC and wash basin and a flat screen TV in the room.

Quite similar to the US Microtel, if that helps the OP visualise it. Not massive rooms, but usually very clean and comfortable.

There's also the Travelodge, which isn't far from the town, and you will find that their deals (and I think this is the one people were thinking of for £19 - Premier Inn is usually £29) are easier to come by than Premier's. Southampton's not that big, so most places are a relatively short taxi or bus ride away.

Archived