Why no clothes steamers?

woldridge

I understand that Celebrity has a policy that you cannot bring steamers on board, but I do not get this policy. How is a steamer any different than a curling iron, a flat iron, a hairdryer or any other electronic appliance? I am fine giving the revenue to Celebrity to have my husband's shirts pressed, or using the shower (a big waste of water) for a few items, but my next cruise is in Europe in November and I will be bringing sweatshirts, sweaters, etc. that will take a very long time to steam out in the shower, and are not pratical to send out to be pressed. I have always brought a steamer without issues, but I am second thinking this for our up coming trip.

I wish one of us could provide you with the definitive answer to why they allow personal grooming devices like hot curlers and flat hair irons but not appliances for your clothes. There have been many references to the danger of shipboard fire from clothes irons, so that seems fairly clear, but that shouldn't be a danger when using a clothes steamer. There is the revenue issue, which seems to be the main motivation. In your case, sweatshirts and sweaters probably won't show the effects of packing and wouldn't need a steamer.

Does it really matter what the reason is? Celebrity has published that no steamers are allowed. By agreeing to the cruise contract when you book a cruise with them, you are agreeing to adhere to their policies and rules. Nothing more needs to be considered or debated. By not bringing one on board you are simply honoring your side of the agreement that you have made with the cruise line, as you would expect them to honor their side.

Edited by sloopsailor

I have had two different portable electric steamers that blew breakers every time I used them. Some steamers don't cause bumps or surge, others do. That's why they are banned.

The policy has been in place for years and it's not likely to change so you may want to look into alternatives like Downy Wrinkle Release (it does work well) or budgeting to send items out to be pressed during your cruise.

I believe Celebrity is trying to cut back on power hungry appliances. The steamer might not use more juice than the allowable items you mention but if allowed they'd have many hundreds of those being operated in addition to the items currently allowed, resulting in a cumulatively higher power demand and draw.

I think it is a matter of limiting what they can and it is a lot easier for most passengers to forgo irons and steamers than for women to forgo their hair appliances they rely on every other day.

We've traveled to Europe several times and done other long cruises and find it very practical to send wrinkled items out to be pressed. Although I must admit there is a good chance my standards might not be as high as yours as I've never considered pressing my sweatshirts.

Edited by Lsimon

Sweatshirts and sweaters? You get them out, you rub your hands over them a bit to get the wrinkles out and put them on. You hang them up and the wrinkes are pretty well gone. heck, they usually have more wrinkles after you wear them a while.

I'm always impressed with how many people want to spend their time while on vacation trying to get a few wrinkles out and then you have the whole 'I hate wearing a tie', 'why can't I wear my shorts everywhere' crowd....I hope these two groups don't sign up for the same tours or get the same dinner table.

I'll apologize now to the OP for using your concern to look decent for a cheap-shot joke.

Den

I think it's a good question. Thanks to those of you who answered helpfully.

OP - the Downey Wrinkle Release should help with the items you don't want to send for pressing. also, use dry cleaning bags to wrap items in your garment bag and they'll be much less prone to wrinkling.

I have had two different portable electric steamers that blew breakers every time I used them. Some steamers don't cause bumps or surge, others do. That's why they are banned.

What brands did you use? I took one of mine travel size on one NCL cruise - used it with no problem. - Just curious..........

For the safety of our guests and crew there are certain items that are not allowed onboard. If these are found they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

•Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

•Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors*

•Illegal Drugs & Substances

•Candles & Incense

•Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

•Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

•Skateboards & Surfboards

•Martial Arts Gear

•Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

•Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

•HAM Radios

•Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

•Alcoholic Beverages**

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

THIS IS WHAT IS ON THE CELEBRITY SITE UNDER WHAT NOT TO PACK

Yelling won't help. This is the FAQ page:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/subject.do?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&pagename=faq_questions

And this is the statement there:

Are steamers allowed onboard?

Subject: Ship and Stateroom Details

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for a reasonable rate.

For the safety of our guests and crew there are certain items that are not allowed onboard. If these are found they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

•Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

•Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors*

•Illegal Drugs & Substances

•Candles & Incense

•Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

•Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

•Skateboards & Surfboards

•Martial Arts Gear

•Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

•Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

•HAM Radios

•Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

•Alcoholic Beverages**

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

THIS IS WHAT IS ON THE CELEBRITY SITE UNDER WHAT NOT TO PACK

Yelling won't help. This is the FAQ page:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/subject.do?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&pagename=faq_questions

And this is the statement there:

Are steamers allowed onboard?

Subject: Ship and Stateroom Details

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for a reasonable rate.

I addressed this on the other thread, may as well repeat myself here for the benefit of those who haven't seen it--

If one wants to know if they can take a steamer and first comes across the section on What Not To Pack, they would conclude that a steamer is permitted. Since it's not headed "Some of What Not To Pack," it can be inferred that if it's not on the list, it's okay. Only if they happen to search by perusing the FAQ would they find out it's not. One should not be obligated to search the entire website to see if they missed anything-- the What Not To Pack section is not completely accurate.

I'm with you, Steve, and wish that the entire website would be updated and checked for consistency.

All I can say is that, if one wants to know if steamers are allowed and comes across Cruise Critic, they should now know that steamers are not allowed per the FAQ, and there really isn't anything to be done about it.

I'm with you, Steve, and wish that the entire website would be updated and checked for consistency.

All I can say is that, if one wants to know if steamers are allowed and comes across Cruise Critic, they should now know that steamers are not allowed per the FAQ, and there really isn't anything to be done about it.

Stitch:

I agree the website needs some checks for consistency. I would however point out to those who wish to argue about the steamers that once boarding the ship they will face reality. Past RECENT passengers have reported that if found the irons and steamers are turned in to a special area where you will be directed BEFORE your luggage is delivered. They will explain the policy, take the item, give you a receipt and return it at the end of the cruise. If you wish to go through this because its not in one portion of the web site but is in another so be it, its your choice.

Stitch:

I agree the website needs some checks for consistency. I would however point out to those who wish to argue about the steamers that once boarding the ship they will face reality. Past RECENT passengers have reported that if found the irons and steamers are turned in to a special area where you will be directed BEFORE your luggage is delivered. They will explain the policy, take the item, give you a receipt and return it at the end of the cruise. If you wish to go through this because its not in one portion of the web site but is in another so be it, its your choice.

This was addressed to cruisestitch, but in response to his agreeing with my post, so--

I wasn't trying to say that since the website does not prohibit steamers in one area and does in another that this would be justification for being allowed to bring on a steamer or trying to make an issue of it. As I had said on the other thread, ultimately X can decide what's safe and what's not, regardless of what is or is not on the website. I was just attempting to point out how someone could, with good intentions to follow policy, be led to the wrong conclusion, based on steamers being omitted from the list of banned items.

This was addressed to cruisestitch, but in response to his agreeing with my post, so--

I wasn't trying to say that since the website does not prohibit steamers in one area and does in another that this would be justification for being allowed to bring on a steamer or trying to make an issue of it. As I had said on the other thread, ultimately X can decide what's safe and what's not, regardless of what is or is not on the website. I was just attempting to point out how someone could, with good intentions to follow policy, be led to the wrong conclusion, based on steamers being omitted from the list of banned items.

Steve:

You are right, there are many inconsistencies. We have to just use some common sense.

I was just attempting to point out how someone could, with good intentions to follow policy, be led to the wrong conclusion, based on steamers being omitted from the list of banned items.

And then there are the people who never bother to read the information provided by the cruise line as to what to expect, even after spending thousands on a cruise: "I didn't know I couldn't bring my iron", "I didn't know smoking wasn't allowed on my balcony", "I didn't know T-shirts weren't allowed on formal night", "I didn't know I couldn't bring several bottles of scotch", "I didn't know the ship wouldn't wait for me", etc.

I wonder what it's like to go through life blissfully unaware of what is going on?

And then there are the people who never bother to read the information provided by the cruise line as to what to expect, even after spending thousands on a cruise: "I didn't know I couldn't bring my iron", "I didn't know smoking wasn't allowed on my balcony", "I didn't know T-shirts weren't allowed on formal night", "I didn't know I couldn't bring several bottles of scotch", "I didn't know the ship wouldn't wait for me", etc.

I wonder what it's like to go through life blissfully unaware of what is going on?

But the information provided by the cruise line, in the case of the list of Certain Items That Are Not Allowed On Board, does not include steamers. It does not say that there are more items prohibited than those on the list, so it would seem reasonable to assume that the list is comprehensive. You can't fault someone for not knowing that steamers are verboten if they came across this list. If someone took the trouble to get the information, found that list, and came to the conclusion that steamers apparently are allowed since they're not prohibited, that could hardly be called blissfully unaware. That's all I'm saying.

But the information provided by the cruise line, in the case of the list of Certain Items That Are Not Allowed On Board, does not include steamers. It does not say that there are more items prohibited than those on the list, so it would seem reasonable to assume that the list is comprehensive. You can't fault someone for not knowing that steamers are verboten if they came across this list. If someone took the trouble to get the information, found that list, and came to the conclusion that steamers apparently are allowed since they're not prohibited, that could hardly be called blissfully unaware. That's all I'm saying.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just adding that some people have no clue what is allowed because they can't be bothered to read any of the information provided to them. I have a co-worker who is just that way - they'd book a cruise, pay the price, then wonder why they are singled out upon embarkation to remove banned items from their suitcase, or didn't bother to bring anything other than jeans, shorts, T-shirts and sneakers and wonder why they aren't allowed in the MDR on formal nights. Of course, it's always the cruise line who was to blame.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just adding that some people have no clue what is allowed because they can't be bothered to read any of the information provided to them. I have a co-worker who is just that way - they'd book a cruise, pay the price, then wonder why they are singled out upon embarkation to remove banned items from their suitcase, or didn't bother to bring anything other than jeans, shorts, T-shirts and sneakers and wonder why they aren't allowed in the MDR on formal nights. Of course, it's always the cruise line who was to blame.

You are so right, we used to get that a lot on this board several years ago when Celebrity did not have a buffet at night for dinner at all. People used to come back complaining there was no buffet and it was all Celebrity's fault even though they never advertised they had one. Do your research...

Gotcha. Sorry if I took it the wrong way!:o

I understand that Celebrity has a policy that you cannot bring steamers on board, but I do not get this policy. How is a steamer any different than a curling iron, a flat iron, a hairdryer or any other electronic appliance? I am fine giving the revenue to Celebrity to have my husband's shirts pressed, or using the shower (a big waste of water) for a few items, but my next cruise is in Europe in November and I will be bringing sweatshirts, sweaters, etc. that will take a very long time to steam out in the shower, and are not pratical to send out to be pressed. I have always brought a steamer without issues, but I am second thinking this for our up coming trip.

Obviously Celebrity has had issues with clothes steamers in the past and has decided to ban them. That is good enough for me. Whatever gets wrinkled we send off to the laundry to be pressed and or cleaned. It's no big deal. If you read your information you will find a list of things that you cannot bring on board. Enjoy your cruise.:)

You are right on the money! People either don't read the information provide them or don't like what they read and decided to chance it. Just some people being people I suppose.