An Early Saver rant

LUPY48

On Wed., many members of our cruise group spotted a $20 decrease in price for our May 2012 cruise on the Miracle.

All of us sent the proper form in, some even included screen shots.

All were DENIED. CCL responded that it was a 'glitch' in their system that allowed the lower fare to be posted.

Great customer service, huh?

Plus, the fare viewer hasn't been available since.

Granted, it's only $20, but as one of our members said, it's a bucket 'o beers!

They were consistent in denying everyone. Unless they are lying, it was appropriate customer service. Good customer service isn't defined by whether the results are to your liking.

You can always double check a fare on a TA site since the prices should be the same. If you cant find that fare on TA sites, then it probably was a glitch. Sometimes a fare shows and if you click thru on fareviewer the price changes.

could be anything. Im glad it was only $20. Not enough to have a hear attack over.

To Carnival Beards,

Business 101:

"If you put it out there, you own it"

Retractions of any kind are a reflection of poor organizational skills and a lack of management/oversight.

what about if it shows a price .. and then you click thru and the price is higher by the time you get to the point where you can see the fare and categories etc??

Without us seeing it for ourselves, its hard to pinpoint exactly where the problem is.

OP Im sorry .. I dont guess any of you double checked the fare?? If you called and asked or talked to someone or saw it elsewhere, I think you have a case.

You can always double check a fare on a TA site since the prices should be the same. If you cant find that fare on TA sites, then it probably was a glitch. Sometimes a fare shows and if you click thru on fareviewer the price changes.

This is what I did and seen it on several sites. I always double check.

This is what I did and seen it on several sites. I always double check.

me too!! after double checking, then I take screen prints of the price so I have proof.

then if it was denied, I can submit the proof in a link of the price and I also note the time and date when I saw the price in case there is a dispute.

Thats a bummer...keep watching, maybe it will go down even more. I found that fare viewer to be inaccurate anyway as it doesn't show the TOTAL for the cruise, it only shows the cabin portion...

That's the only part of the fare that you are supposed to be comparing~just the cruise rate~ you don't include the government fees and taxes when looking for lower rates for ES~

On Wed., many members of our cruise group spotted a $20 decrease in price for our May 2012 cruise on the Miracle.

All of us sent the proper form in, some even included screen shots.

All were DENIED. CCL responded that it was a 'glitch' in their system that allowed the lower fare to be posted.

Great customer service, huh?

Plus, the fare viewer hasn't been available since.

Granted, it's only $20, but as one of our members said, it's a bucket 'o beers!

they're gonna get worse PR now that you've posted it here and on the jh fb page.

All members submitted the form 'properly'. Most CALLED and spoke to a rep, including me.

DENIED.

I didnt mean if you called afterwards.. did you call and verify the rate beforehand. I cant tell from your reply that you call and were denied.

If you verified the rate before submitting it, then I would email them back with the information you have of date and time when the rate was up if you dont have a screen print.

new_talisma_header.gif

Hello xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

We have reviewed the screen shot that you sent to us and we have also reviewed your sailing. There is a glitch in the system that is causing the rates on your sailing to reflect incorrectly when pulled up online. Unfortunately because the rates that you are seeing online are incorrect, the rates on your booking cannot be adjusted. We apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience it may have caused and hope that you do understand.

Thank you again for choosing Carnival.

Sincerely,

Carnival Cruise Lines

I am booked on this cruise and I am one of those people who submitted a PROPERLY filled out ES form, screen shot and spoke to them on the phone twice, spoke to my PVP and still denied.

The above is an email I cut & pasted on here and this is the explanation I was given.

Glitch or no glitch there was a lower fare posted and CCL should have honored it.

I removed my name so that's why you see xxxxx.

it's unfortunate, but my suspicion is that since their system's down now, they really ARE having problems and glitches ... if fare viewer comes back up and still shows the cheaper price, i think there'd be an argument to be made.

but right now, i think their computer system's really knackered and it probably wasn't a correct price

I'll say it again,

To Carnival Beards,

Business 101:

Retractions of any kind are a reflection of poor organizational skills and a lack of management/oversight.

In this case the small loss in OBC is generating ill will for the brand and is making current ES fareholders question Carnival's committment to its own policy.

Business 101:

Retractions of any kind are a reflection of poor organizational skills and lack of management/oversight.

And I would guess that someone booking at that moment would have gotten the advertised fare. Advertising is like that- and $20 isn't a lot for the company. Airlines have been known to honor transpacific fares of $7.89 which they have posted in error.

I am one of those that were denied the ES reduction. I have done the form before so no issues in preparing it. I have the screen shots. The cabin category was correct.

Carnival has decided that a rate reduction that was posted on their website for more than a 24 hour period (it was there on the 27th and 28th) was a glitch. Most companies honor that small of a "glitch". We are not talking a $3,000 TV that was on sale for $30. In my case I have three cabins booked so that $20 is really $60 to me.

I'll say it again,

To Carnival Beards,

Business 101:

In this case the small loss in OBC is generating ill will for the brand and is making current ES fareholders question Carnival's committment to its own policy.

I know in the UK, that's not true and I just double-checked because I didn't think it was more than an urban myth in the US either ...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2010/09/your-rights-as-a-consumer/index.htm

If a business didn't intend to defraud the public, they're not legally required to honor a wrong price. It's at their discretion as to how to handle the situation.

Archived