Bermuda's Bus Woes Continue

njhorseman

The Royal Gazette is reporting that about 40% of Bermuda's buses are out of service awaiting repairs, resulting in substantial gaps in service.

It sounds as though it would be prudent to allow extra travel time if you're using the buses.

Also, the government and union still have not settled their years-long dispute about revising the bus service schedules, despite the fact that it was supposed to have been sent to arbitration in May.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20110928/NEWS01/709289970

The Govt of Bermuda really needs to find a permanent solution to their public bus problems. No other island depends on the public bus the way Bermuda does. If the average bus is 14 years and keeps breaking down, maybe time to buy newer buses. Increase the budget!

Thanks for the info! I am going to Bermuda 11/12 on the EOS from Baltimore- with 3 girlfriends. We discussed renting a private taxi and I emailed a few today. Looks like that is the way to travel if you want to see a lot in a short time (we only have Mon. 11AM- Tues. 1PM). Any other suggestions?

We discussed renting a private taxi and I emailed a few today. Looks like that is the way to travel if you want to see a lot in a short time (we only have Mon. 11AM- Tues. 1PM). Any other suggestions?

Since you're there for such a short time, I think the taxi (make sure you get one with a driver who is also a guide; I think they have blue ribbons denoting them) is your best bet. We were docked in Hamilton for several days, so that wasn't an issue for us, and traveled all over by bus using a two-day pass.

We did wait a little extra (10 minutes) for a bus a couple weeks ago. We left the beach at 4:15 to avoid the school and work rush but the bus was full of kids--school is out at 2:30. They said their bus had broken down.

Otherwise we have been twice this year and service was great both times.

I am surprised the buses are 14 years old on average--they seem very clean and look well maintained.

Booked with Duke Soares for 11/14/11 to make sure we can see as much of this beautiful island as possible. It was not as cheap as the bus, but more reliable and we will get to see what we want. Also cheaper than RC's tours. Thanks to those who keep these threads so up to date, esp. SailBadtheSinner!

Archived