What is extra on RCI

dwelsh

Our first RCI experience will be on December.

Can some experienced cruiser fill me in on what I can expect to pay for extras, apart from the usual tours, purchases and wines.

Having only sailed on "premium" lines where most things are included with the tariff I am interested to learn what to expect.

Some restaurants will have an extra charge. All alcohol and sodas will have a charge, as will some specialty coffees. Some fitness CLASSES have a fee....the use of the gym equip. is included in your fare. Internet access carries a fee, as will laundry/dry-cleaning and pressing...even if you're in a suite!

That's about all I can think of, that you might not have considered.

In short, other than sleeping in your cabin and dinner in the MDR, everything else is extra.:D

That is hardly the case and the only things which are extra are things which are totally discretionary. Among the things on RCI that are not extra are the flow riders, rock walls, ice rinks, bungee trampoline(on Enchantment), self-leveling pool tables on Radiance class ships, mini-golf, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks in the Windjammer,pizza at Sorrentos or the Cafe Promenade on ships with those eateries, food in the Seaview Cafe on Jewel, Brilliance, and Serenade, and in the Park Cafe, Hot Dog Stand, breakfast in Johnny Rockets on Allure and Oasis, the ice shows, Comedy club and the theaters and cinemas. There are probably others that I missed but it is hardly limited to "sleeping in your cabin and dinner in the MDR".:D

Good food.

I guess the food we were served on our recent Jewel TA was the exception that proves your rule - or perhaps, since opinions concerning food are subjective, our opinion was just the opposite of yours.;)

In short, other than sleeping in your cabin and dinner in the MDR, everything else is extra.:D

I absolutely understand that with the addition of the smiley face, your post was probably in jest. Given that... OP is a first time RCI cruiser and I'd hate for him/her to think what you're saying is true. It really isn't, as you know. Jokes are fine but, well... a sincere question deserves the same kind of answer, IMO. :)

OP, enjoy Mariner. She is phenominal. :)

We were in a balcony cabin - LOS two weeks ago. There are no toiletries (other than shampoo in a dispenser in the shower) and bar soap (no conditioner, lotion, etc.). No robe either, so plan accordingly.

Thanks for all the input. Obviously posters have different views of the quality of cuisine in the MDR. As we are hosting a big family group, 20 in all plus another 11 extended family who are joining under their own steam, eating in the speciality restaurants is going to be a considerable additional cost. SO!! We hope that the MDR and the Windjammer have good quality and selection on the premium week we sail. Glad to learn that the other fast food eating places are at no extra charge.

I am surprised to learn of the lack of bathroom amenities. I guess we will just have to pack some of the soaps from the last cruise!!:)

...what I can expect to pay for extras...

Steaks in the mdr, room service, burgers, fries

Brad, you need to be specific for this RCI virgin.

OP, if you want the upcharge for your "higher quality" steak in the dining room, yes it will cost 14.95 but the steak that is offered every night on the menu is perfectly acceptable to most people, my own family included (the boys enjoyed theirs very much). Room service has a service charge only between midnight and 5 am, $3.95 per cabin, not per person. Burgers and fries are extra at Johnny Rockets, but not in the Windjammer or the dining room (and some other venues on certain ships like the Wipeout Café), where they are included in your cruise fare.

dwelsh, if you want a robe ask your cabin steward for one. S/he may be able to supply you.

*sigh* Sorry, I'm a bit frustrated at the lack of help OP seems to be getting from some. :(

Dwelsh, since you are a group of 31, make sure every knows when they get a towel by the pool they will swipe your seapass. They have to be turned in or you are charged. On the last night they have to be turned in early I think it was 6pm. If not you will spend some time in a long line to get, for us $40.00 dollars removed. I use the room towels on the last day now.

*sigh* Sorry, I'm a bit frustrated at the lack of help OP seems to be getting from some. :(

Thanks Karen for making the effort to point out what's factual and what's just an amusing quip aimed at RCI veterans.

I'm another RCI virgin trying to learn all I can about what might be different from what I've experienced before, and I appreciate getting the straight scoop.

^ Oooo, Brilliance! Glorious! Oh my goodness, she is incredible. We just returned from a 12 night Med and it was, well, there just are not enough adjectives. The ship is phenominal. You will love the open seating at the back of theWindjammer Café. We spent every night out there watching the sun set and reliving our amazing day in port. The ship is beautiful, much more glass and windows than the larger classes of Royal ships.

Have a great cruise. :)

Fresh squeezed orange juice in the Windjammer for breakfast. When you come in, you may be offered "would you like a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice" which they have on a tray for you to pick one, you say sure then they ask you for your seapass card. Not complaining as I know the difference for what you pay extra for (add ons) but this one caught be by surprise. I just said no thanks after the seapass request and went over and got the regular juice.

Dave

Thanks for all the input. Obviously posters have different views of the quality of cuisine in the MDR.

You need to realize that a cruise ship is providing anywhere from 1,000 to 6,000 dinners a day, 7 days a week, every week.

Considering this, I have found the MDR experience exceptional. Anyone that cannot be pleased with the food and service in the MDR .... well, needs to chill a bit.

One thing to note, order as much as you want. If you like shrimp, and it is on the menu as an appetizer, do not be afraid to order two or three. Or, order two or three different appetizers. Same for the main meal. If there is a pasta dish and a seafood dish that you are interested in, order both.

We were in a balcony cabin - LOS two weeks ago. There are no toiletries (other than shampoo in a dispenser in the shower) and bar soap (no conditioner, lotion, etc.). No robe either, so plan accordingly.

Usually the soap and toiletries in a hotel would not be my pick anyway but on our last cruise (last March) we had soaps. I always bring my own. I have always ( only 9 cruises with rcl) found everything to be exactly what I expected and consistent. Food is as good as any restaurant I have gone to unless it was a $50 meal at some expensive restaurant, presentation was always perfect and if you wanted more you can always have it. We did go to the "pay extra" restaurants and come on how much can you eat!

Dh and I are taking our family in February (6 adults 1 child) and I can not imagine the cost of all those meals, shows and beauty of the ship anywhere else. Obviously, I love cruising with RCL.

OP, you can do an entire cruise w/o spending an extra dime, have a blast every day, and still come back 3-6 lbs heavier if you take just half of the opportunities available each day to eat the free food that's served throughout the ship. Other than the daily intake of beer (and the occasional mai tai) we rarely have any other charges on our bill at the end of the week.;)

Archived