What's the best beach bar on Seven Mile Beach

Blind Squirrel

Yup, on Seven Mile Beach, at the end closer to the port area.

Bus or taxi will get you there easily.

Prices are on the website.

cool...nice sand, calm waters for kids? Better than Sea Grape and one of the Beach Resorts you think?

cool...nice sand, calm waters for kids? Better than Sea Grape and one of the Beach Resorts you think?

You are going to have almost identical swimming conditions at any of the spots along Seven Mile Beach. Calm waters will depend on the weather, so that's impossible to say for sure at this point. Sand is great at Sea Grape and Royal Palms, less great at Tiki Beach, IMO. Sea Grape does have a playground nearby, I think.

The Beach Resorts (I'm assuming you mean someplace like the Marriott?) will have a pool and a bit nicer facilities, of course, but you'll have to pay for them.

I personally prefer Royal Palms, but lots of people prefer Sea Grape or one of the other spots. Your best bet is to read all of the reviews and advice, then choose the spot that you think most meets your family's needs.

You are going to have almost identical swimming conditions at any of the spots along Seven Mile Beach. Calm waters will depend on the weather, so that's impossible to say for sure at this point. Sand is great at Sea Grape and Royal Palms, less great at Tiki Beach, IMO. Sea Grape does have a playground nearby, I think.

The Beach Resorts (I'm assuming you mean someplace like the Marriott?) will have a pool and a bit nicer facilities, of course, but you'll have to pay for them.

I personally prefer Royal Palms, but lots of people prefer Sea Grape or one of the other spots. Your best bet is to read all of the reviews and advice, then choose the spot that you think most meets your family's needs.

ah, howdy neighbour LOL. Sea Grape was my first bet but I have read it is completely wide open with no trees, etc. Kind of disappointing I guess dunno...Royal Palms doesn't have an entrance fee does it?

ah, howdy neighbour LOL. Sea Grape was my first bet but I have read it is completely wide open with no trees, etc. Kind of disappointing I guess dunno...Royal Palms doesn't have an entrance fee does it?

Pretty much all of Seven Mile Beach is open stretches of sand, with few trees and virtually no natural shade. (If a shady beach with lots of trees is what you're looking for, rent a car and drive out to Rum Point instead.)

Neither Sea Grape or Royal Palms have entrance fees...Seven Mile Beach is public (free) to the high water mark, so even the places that charge (like the hotels) are only charging for use of their facilities, not for beach access. The biggest rule that Royal Palms and Sea Grape have is "no outside food/drink" since that's how they make their money. The free facilities are just their way of luring you in so you'll have lunch there... :D

So how far is the sunset house from the tender dock?

As you exit the dock turn right, just a 20 minute walk or hail a cab. Hope this links works, click on birds eye view. You should see the ships in port and Sunset House is at location A.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&pc=FACEBK&mid=8100&where1=390+South+Church+Street%2C+KY1-1106+George+Town%2C+Cayman+Islands&FORM=FBKPL0&name=Sunset+House%2C+Grand+Cayman%27s+Hotel+For+Divers%2C+by+Divers&mkt=en-US

I like Royal Palms too!!

Pretty much all of Seven Mile Beach is open stretches of sand, with few trees and virtually no natural shade. (If a shady beach with lots of trees is what you're looking for, rent a car and drive out to Rum Point instead.)

Neither Sea Grape or Royal Palms have entrance fees...Seven Mile Beach is public (free) to the high water mark, so even the places that charge (like the hotels) are only charging for use of their facilities, not for beach access. The biggest rule that Royal Palms and Sea Grape have is "no outside food/drink" since that's how they make their money. The free facilities are just their way of luring you in so you'll have lunch there... :D

got it, thanks...they do have a pool though right? Access to anyone, etc?

I am still trying to decide what to do when we are in GC next month. We've already done "Hell", turtle farm, rum factory and shopping. I am leaning towards Royal Palms. I have gone to their website but not a lot of information listed. Could you give us a short detailed version of Royal Palms, what to bring, more about the facilites and the charges? Charge for chairs etc and why you prefer it? It will only be myself and hubby. Thanks!:)

Donna

Seven Mile Beach:

- very long stretch of perfectly flat white sand and gorgeous blue water

- very little natural shade, lots of sun

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- more developed (major tourist area)

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free facilities are Royal Palms, Sea Grape and Tiki Beach)

- multiple choices for restaurants and shopping nearby

- access to watersports via multiple operators at the different sections

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Royal Palms is at the end of SMB closer to the port area, and their facilities include outdoor showers, restrooms, a beach bar/restaurant, rental watersports/lounges/umbrellas and an adults-only pool.

Prices (in CI$) for the rentals are here: http://www.reefgrill.com/watersports.html

Prices (in CI$) for food are here: http://www.reefgrill.com/lunch.html

Info about the pool is here: http://www.reefgrill.com/cabana.html

The webcams on their website will give you a good idea of what the place looks like - http://www.reefgrill.com/first.html - then click on the three different webcam links at the left.

The main reason I like RP better than some of the other spots along SMB? Few (if any) cruise excursions go there, thus it's often less crowded than the other spots. I also don't have kids...and since I'm a teacher, on vacation I'd like to avoid other people's kids if I can...so I like the fact that the pool is adults-only and there's no playground. :D

Seven Mile Beach:

- very long stretch of perfectly flat white sand and gorgeous blue water

- very little natural shade, lots of sun

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- more developed (major tourist area)

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free facilities are Royal Palms, Sea Grape and Tiki Beach)

- multiple choices for restaurants and shopping nearby

- access to watersports via multiple operators at the different sections

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Royal Palms is at the end of SMB closer to the port area, and their facilities include outdoor showers, restrooms, a beach bar/restaurant, rental watersports/lounges/umbrellas and an adults-only pool.

Prices (in CI$) for the rentals are here: http://www.reefgrill.com/watersports.html

Prices (in CI$) for food are here: http://www.reefgrill.com/lunch.html

Info about the pool is here: http://www.reefgrill.com/cabana.html

The webcams on their website will give you a good idea of what the place looks like - http://www.reefgrill.com/first.html - then click on the three different webcam links at the left.

The main reason I like RP better than some of the other spots along SMB? Few (if any) cruise excursions go there, thus it's often less crowded than the other spots. I also don't have kids...and since I'm a teacher, on vacation I'd like to avoid other people's kids if I can...so I like the fact that the pool is adults-only and there's no playground. :D

BookBabe: Good Morning and thank you for your kind response. You have SOLD me on Royal Palms. We prefer adult only pool and peace and quiet if we can find it too. RP's sounds like the place for us. What time would you recommend arriving and do the chairs fill up or will there be chairs all day? We will probably be wanting to be around the pool area.

Donna

BookBabe: Good Morning and thank you for your kind response. You have SOLD me on Royal Palms. We prefer adult only pool and peace and quiet if we can find it too. RP's sounds like the place for us. What time would you recommend arriving and do the chairs fill up or will there be chairs all day? We will probably be wanting to be around the pool area.

Donna

There won't necessarily be peace and quiet anywhere, especially if there's lots of ships in port that day. :D I have no idea how fast the place fills up on days like that, since we tend to avoid town those days, sorry...

However, if you're planning on having lunch and drinks anyway, and want to be by the pool rather than on the beach, why not email and reserve a cabana?

where do the people that wanna party go? is there anywhere with music and a 20-30 crowd? is royal palms the best bet coz I love swim up bars and want to kick back at the beach, but im not necessarily looking for peace and quiet! can anyone also tell me drink prices so I can know what to expect. Im open to the idea of bar hopping, if thats possible. Thanks :D

Archived