Is it worth the effort to complain about translations?

Brandis

I'm back home from our transatlantic crossing with Jewel of the Seas.

On there, I notices some really horrible translations on some of the signs for food items at the buffet. Actually, I already noticed this last year on the Brilliance Dubai repo cruise, but not to that extent.

Back then, I went to the international ambassador who said she was aware of the problem, but those translations were done at Miami HQ for the entire fleet and there was no point for her to let them know as they would ignore it anyway.

However, this time it was even worse and I noticed a lot of international guests making fun of it. I mean, how hard can it be to have those translations checked by a native speaker before printing them. It just gives the impression they don't care.

Do you think I should write them and let them know? Anyone knows an address of someone in charge of those things?

Below just some really bad examples (german is the worst, but as far as I can see, the french translations is not really good either):

IMG_0789.JPG -> Here Lime is not translated as the fruit, but rather as in Limestone. Also, it literarily means: "Sugar Liberate You Spiced Water Lemon Lime(stone)"

IMG_0998.JPG -> Minute Steak is being translated as in "Tiny Steak", I don't think that was their intention..

IMG_1011.JPG -> Translated as "Low-lying thick italian clothing"

IMG_1016.JPG -> That one is consistently wrong in all the translations as far as I understand them: it's translated as "Potatoe Salad".

IMG_1013.JPG -> Same here, it's also translated as "Potatoe Salad"...

Maybe they do the translations incorrectly as a joke. I think some of them are pretty funny.

Also, I think the food in the WindJammer is good, except the Indy. The Freedom several weeks ago had great 'Jammer food.

If pax are that bothered by the translations I'm sure they let RCI know.

Maybe their laughter will help some of the horrible food offerings go down a bit easier?;):p

Well, it bothers me, that's why I was asking who I could contact.

The menu translations in the dining room actually were in pretty good german, so they can provide good translations if they just make the effort.

Two different dressings, same translation.

The perils of cut & paste. :rolleyes:

More so than the mis-translations the part that would bug me is the attitude onboard about the attitude in Miami HQ. Clearly an "us vs. them" mentality. Perhaps they ignore their shipboard staff but would listen to passenger feedback better. I would not hestiate to let HQ know about "low-lying thick Italian clothing." ;)

I completely agree with where you are coming from. If RCI is going to attract passengers from other nations then they need to get the translation down pat. There is absolutely no excuse for a company that has "International" as part of it's name to practice shoddy interpretation. If you are going to do it...then do it right! While I wouldn't get all bunged up about it- compared to some of the 'trivial' (IMO) complaints that we read about on this board this one has some merit.

Send your letter to CS and next time you get a survey let them know how you feel.

I think such mis-translations definitely deserve being brought to the attention of the executives in Miami so that whoever is responsible is made to correct the situation. For an international corporation which seeks to attract a global audience attention to detail is essential and such errors are unforgiveable.

On a Scandinavian itinerary a year ago on Vision, the Daily Planner and Menus in Norwegian and Swedish was so bad I complained both on the comment card and on the post cruise survey. The International Ambassador on board told us they had too little time to do the job aboard and that they used Google translate or similar to help. That really showed as it was clear that translation was done word by word. Some of the sentences was absolutely nonsense and we heard a few older passengers say they did not understand. That's a shame when dealing with important stuff like disembarkation details etc. Cut and paste errors were also common. Didn't spoil our cruise though but just a nuisance.

Well, it bothers me, that's why I was asking who I could contact.

The menu translations in the dining room actually were in pretty good german, so they can provide good translations if they just make the effort.

I would not take the fact that the German ones were better to be an indication of extra effort.

I would take it to mean that English and German are more closely related than English and the Romance languages, making it easier for Google translate to come up with half decent transations.

I would probably say something to RC as if you are fortunate enough to be able to understand the translations you should act on behalf of those who can't. I know I'd be grateful for that.

So much can be lost (or found) in translation. The German word 'Dick' (meaning thick) still makes me giggle like a schoolgirl when I see it on a sign!

Archived