ID/Documentation Help

This might be hard to follow, but I'm looking for the best/easiest way to figure out my required documentation.

I'm traveling on October 29. I am recently married. My passport is in my maiden name so I booked the cruise in my maiden name. I just realized my passport expired September 1. The passport is the only document I have in my maiden name.

Last week I lost my wallet and my license. I report it lost online and it takes 2-4 weeks for a replacement to come. I have very little faith in the DMV.

I DO have my military (spouse) ID. That is a government issued photo ID, but I can't find anywhere if that's an acceptable form if ID (along with my birth certificate and marriage license).

Remember, my cruise is booked under my maiden name so If I go the route of military ID/Birth certificate, I'll need to change the name on my cruise.

Obviously that's the simplest and easiest way to handle this, but can anyone point me in the right direction so I can see it in writing that a spouse military ID (the pink background, plastic coated, credit card sized card) is acceptable?

thanks everyone!!

As long as the gov't issued ID, in your case military id has your photo, name and birthdate it should work. I would call RCCL directly to confirm this. You mentioned you would have your BC and marriage license along w/ your military ID as well to bridge the gap w/ the last names.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=5

Different Surnames (Last Names):

If a woman has several surnames on different documents such as birth certificate and drivers license, then she must bridge the difference with other documents, such as, marriage license and/or divorce papers. The additional bridging documents must be the original or a certified or notarized copy.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

I've called them twice. Both times I got the 'read from the screen' answer of "you will need a valid government issued photo ID" when I asked if a SPOUSE military ID is valid they said as long as it's issues by the government. Neither one were very reassuring. I can't find ANYWHERE a list of acceptable government issued photo ID's and neither one of them were able to give me a list of them. I was hoping someone had used a spouse ID card and could confirm. I'd rather have someone who's actually done it tell me then someone who's reading instructions from a computer screen to be honest.

I just hate to spend the money to expedite the passport if I don't have to and with no assurance I'll have it in time. I leave October 25 to meet up with some friends before the cruise so I'm down to three weeks to figure this out.

I work as an outside sales rep for a travel agency. passports have been coming in 3 weeks or less lately with out expiditing them. However, in your case I would pay the fee and expediate it just so you can be sure. Then I would call RCI and have them change your reservation to your married name. That is the only way you can gaurantee that you will have no problems I believe. So sorry you are having this added stress right now.

This is just an opinion but it is an opinion. You need your passport, you are traveling during hurricane season and if you read what happened to passengers on the Adventure going out of San Juan recently you know how important a passport is. The ship left without 150 or so passengers and some of the passengers didn't have passports so even though RCCL would pay the airfare to get them to the next port, they couldn't fly because they didn't have passports. Also there is a chance that you may have an emergency and have to fly back home for some reason and without a passport you won't be flying anywhere. A passport is very important during travel and if it is hurricane season and the hurricane season we have had this year, I suggest you get your passport and travel safely.

Sharon I

I agree with you Sharon! But I can't guarantee I'll have my passport which is why I'm wavering on mailing it out or not. I'm driving so flying isn't a concern. Leaving 4 days prior to the ship departing so no worries there either. If I can get on the ship with OTHER ID, then I can at least have my 6 week expired passport with me which is better than not having one at all.

I'm not stressed because I know worse case scenario our County Sheriff Office does on the spot ID's and I've used that for my son plenty of times so I know that's an acceptable form of government issued ID. I'm just trying to avoid the 45 minute drive when I have a military ID already. Was just hoping someone could verify the spouse ID was acceptable.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas/opinions/help!!!

I agree with you Sharon! But I can't guarantee I'll have my passport which is why I'm wavering on mailing it out or not. I'm driving so flying isn't a concern. Leaving 4 days prior to the ship departing so no worries there either. If I can get on the ship with OTHER ID, then I can at least have my 6 week expired passport with me which is better than not having one at all.

I'm not stressed because I know worse case scenario our County Sheriff Office does on the sport ID's and I've used that for my son plenty of times so I know that's an acceptable form of government issued ID. I'm just trying to avoid the 45 minute drive when I have a military ID already. Was just hoping someone could verify the spouse ID was acceptable.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas/opinions/help!!!

One of our cable networks recently (last few days) had a show involving "Turnaround Day" on the Oasis. One of the subjects discussed were people who were denied boarding for one reason or another ... one individual was turned away because he was not on the manifest (his daughter was, but they had not bothered to "swap" the daughter with the father as far as RCCL was concerned); more importantly in the OP's case, another individual was turned away because of inadequate documentation presented at check-in.

Whether or not the County Sheriff's office ID would be acceptable to RCL or CBP is the real question based on this post, and if you ask a dozen RCL Reps, my guess is you'll get two dozen different answers.

You've got a lot of time, emotion, and - ultimately - money already invested in this cruise. If I were in your shoes, I'd send in an EXPEDITED application for a replacement passport TODAY -- and call your US House of Representatives or US Senator's office to see if they could put some "help our constituent" pressure on the US Department Of State to get this done sooner rather than later. Send in the paperwork via some sort of "tracking" method (Postal Service Overnight, FedEx, UPS, Et.Cet) so you have Proof of mail and Proof of receipt.

Michael

I am sure you must have found this link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do?cS=NAVBAR

No list of accepted IDs but it does specify laminated government issued ID, is your spouse ID laminated? If it isn't then I would get the passport.

Do you have any picture ID in your married name? You could always change the name on your reservation and bring your picture ID, birth certificate and marriage license (as a linking document).

If you still have your expired passport, send it in with a notarized copy of your marriage license and have it renewed / issued with your new name. Request that it be expedited and you should have it within two weeks. All of the paperwork can be found online. If you have a passport center in your city, go there with your photo (or let them take it). Most likely it will show up before your drivers license because DMV's aren't famous for speed. Also - change your name to your married name with Royal Caribbean.

Was your license in your maiden name or married name? Can't you go to the DMV in person? It may differ from state to state, but here we can get a new license same day.

At least then you'd have a license and birth cert. even if you have to change the name on your reservation.

Archived