GASC - Begins Operations

eroller

Thank you to the staff of Cruise Critic for setting up this new forum for Great American Steamboat Company.

For those that don't know, GASC is bringing back to service the AMERICAN QUEEN. Bookings are now open and her first sailing is scheduled for April 2012.

GASC has introduced a pretty nice website that highlights the ship and expected service they will provide.

http://www.greatamericansteamboatcompany.com

For anyone that remembers AMERICAN QUEEN when she was operated under the Delta Queen Steamboat Company, it sounds like GASC is planning on restoring her to her glory days, with some added modern touches as well that are prevalent in today's cruise industry. Many executives, staff, and employees from DQSC are now with GASC so it will be interesting to see how the product evolves and if they can achieve success where others have failed.

Personally I find the prices a bit steep, but I suppose this is to be expected for a niche operator, and no doubt expenses are high being an all-American operation.

So has anyone booked yet?

Ernie

I am booked, but the trip is still not for over a year away. The AMERICAN QUEEN's and my work schedule just did not mesh to get on any earlier. I honestly think that there will be discounts to fill up the boat by that time. $1,995.00 plus a $90.00 port charge per person for the least expensive inside room is a bit pricey, and that is for a "Fall Foilage" trip where the leaves will pretty well be off the trees and the possibility of several inches of snow falling. Unfortunately, no one in the Memphis office asked me, so I'll let them know here.

The four night Cincinnati round trip would have worked great, except since it's the Kentucky Derby trip the price is based on the cost of a five night trip. This price only includes "general admission" into Churchill Downs. That's a $40.00 ticket that will allow you into the infield, the paddock, and betting windows; don't expect a seat. Any possibility of seeing the actual race other than on a monitor is remote. Grandstand seats are nearly $800.00 per person extra from the steamboat company, which in reality is a good price if they are grandstand seats and not grandstand bleacher seats. The couple sitting next to me in the grandstand bleachers during the 2010 Derby paid over $500.00 per seat for their tickets.

I was excited to read about the American Queen coming back into service. I haven't booked anything yet but I'm sure I will eventually.

The Derby tickets start at $350. You can get on a mailing list by visiting the Churchill downs website. They open up 2012 prefered seating sales on November 7. $100 deposit per ticket. You are right - for $40 you may not even see a horse. I personally prefer the Kentucky Oaks.

I read they are adding touches like including drinks to make it more all-inclusive. That would be nice.

We're booked for the St. Paul to St. Louis Fall Foliage for the beginning of next October. Looking forward to the trip, hopefully no snow :-)

At the begining of October you should be pretty safe from snow, and have color in the trees. During 1983, I rode the Str. MISSISSIPPI QUEEN from St. Louis to St. Paul and return (October 7 to 21). There was spectacular foliage around Louisiana, Missouri during the trip up-river. Also as we got further north we had some chilly days and nights, but no snow.

We're actually arriving a week before and spend the time on a road trip to N. Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota and the UP of Michigan. With the completion of this trip, we'll have visited all 50 States (airports don't count)! Expecting some nice fall colors the end of September.

We're booked -- the 8 day Civil War-themed cruise from Vicksburg to Louisville on August 30. This one spends time on both the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, and has just 3 port visits, leaving 4 full days of "steamboating" on the river -- the main reason we want to take a river cruise!

I'm really excited. I was raised near Pittsburgh, and can still remember steam powered paddle wheelers tied up at the Monongahela wharf. This is fulfillment of a life-long wish.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the American Queen (New Orleans to Vicksburg R/T) years ago - and it was, by far, one of our most memorable vacations. Although it is apples & oranges different from the mega cruise ships of today, the charm and ambiance cannot be duplicated. We will definitely be booking another trip on her when time allows.

Archived