Back to Backs - Pro & Cons???

I have done a b2b years ago and did a eastern and western and even loved it...even though we didn't get to do the western due to a hurricane and had to do the eastern over...and we didn't mind it one bit cause we just did different things.

but right now we going to do Freedom on a b2b this sunday... eastern then western so hope this time it does work that way...and still even though I have been to these ports already many times and still manage to find many things to do or even just stay on the ship and enjoy it more when not as many people on the ship. As for the ship and crew I love the second week cause you do find knowing the crew and get more of a vip service. We also have done a different room the second week it is just one room down the hall....I would do any time I can ...save on airlines trips ...i just love it!:D

I too love doing b2bs but the biggest head ache is having to clear customs which can't be done until everyone has left the ship. Some ports you don't need to leave the ship, but we've always had to disembark and re-embark in NJ, Miami and Fort lauderdale.

My DW and I are considering booking a B2B on Mariner for east and west caribbean. Both of us have 6 cruises under our belt, the longest being a Holiday special (9 night).

I am interested to hear from people who have done B2Bs in the past and the pros and cons from their points of view.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Cheers:D

Pros, its a back to back.....Cons its not a back to back to back!...:)

This is the PERFECT thread for us to read due to having recently booked our very first B2B. So far, each post has been chocked full of lots 'n lots of good information ... and trust me, we're all ears (err, eyes) here at our end. Love the way the viewpoints have been shared by experienced cruisers who ARE "in the know" due to having done one in the past. We'd like to not only thank those who took the time to jump in with your various opinions but also, the original poster. The pages thus far have answered a lot of the questions that kept coming to the forefront of our own minds. It's making us all that much more thrilled that we chose to go ahead and secure our booking.

We'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

Anna (and Gary)

I've never done a B2B, but if I were to do one I'd probably go on a different ship - I feel like a new scenery would defintely be desired. Just a thought...

I like this idea also. I would do the Allure/Silhouette combo out of FLL, with the Allure first. Not sure if the East/West Caribbean lines up with those two. Biggest drawback would be packing, debarkation, then a little while to kill waiting to re-board.

ma_tlc

We did our 1st B2B this Spring on the Freedom. I have to say, any day on a cruise ship is a good day, and I really thing 7 days on a ship isn't enough. But if given a choice, I would do a 12-14 day cruise over two 7 days B2B. My daughter and I both felt somewhat disconnected on the 2nd half of the cruise. We had met some great people on the 1st half, and there was almost a sense of loss on the 2nd half. We joked all week about it being like the movie Groundhog Day.

I don't see the Mariner of the Seas doing an Eastern Caribbean run, except maybe on a Trans-Atlantic crossing.

Mariner won't be doing one before TA next Spring as it will be in Dry Dock in Bahamas just prior to TA. Nothing scheduled for it after April 15th 7 Day out of Gavleston.

On our other TA a couple from our Roll Call group did a B2B2B combo on Brilliance before the TA. They had sold their Miami condo and were moving back to London so had to have somewhere to stay prior to the TA. So they did a Panama Canal and Eastern Carib. just before the 12 night TA. Worked out to almost a month onboard. I can think of worse temporary housing for sure. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, that's something I didn't think of. Can you request to have the same table/servers for both segments?

Definitely! I'd ask to follow the wait staff versus the table, unless the new table is in a very undesirable location.

You can ask but no guarantees. We asked and got the same table both legs. Unfortunately, the waitstaff was rotated and we ended up with a not-so-special team of newbies. Would have asked to follow our waitstaff had we known.

Most likely your cabin attendant will remain the same but the dining room wait team will change. The dining room wait staff rotate sections every week in order to allow distance from the Galley be the same for everyone over time.

We haven't done a b2b yet but starting next saturday we will be on the Oasis for a b2b and I have enjoyed reading this thread to get ideas. We are doing a b2b2b in January but that will be entirely different. I figured as long as we were flying to Florida we may as well do three cruises. We start out in Ft. Lauderdale and do the Liberty of the Seas for 5 nights. When that cruise ends we go directly over to Miami to get on the Norwegian Epic for 7 nights. When that cruise ends we will wheel our luggage down to the Celebrity Eclipse for 7 nights. So that will be really different. Three different ships and cruise lines.

I have done a b2b years ago and did a eastern and western and even loved it...even though we didn't get to do the western due to a hurricane and had to do the eastern over...and we didn't mind it one bit cause we just did different things.

but right now we going to do Freedom on a b2b this sunday... eastern then western so hope this time it does work that way...and still even though I have been to these ports already many times and still manage to find many things to do or even just stay on the ship and enjoy it more when not as many people on the ship. As for the ship and crew I love the second week cause you do find knowing the crew and get more of a vip service. We also have done a different room the second week it is just one room down the hall....I would do any time I can ...save on airlines trips ...i just love it!:D

Will be interested in seeing how they do the turnaround on Freedom as we are doing the same thing in January.

We are doing our second B2B which starts with your second leg on Jewel's first trip out of Tampa. See you on board!!!

We have cruised on Jewel twice before and wanted to go on her again but 5 nights was just not long enough. We have cabins on the hump and will be changing but just a couple of cabins apart. No biggy. 39 Days and counting!!!:D:D

We look forward to seeing you. Have you been over to the very tiny group posting for your first half of the cruise? I am looking very much to both cruises.

Archived