Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Well...our TA was able to get us this much hotel info...subject to change, of course...

Beijing - Ritz Carlton Financial Street...5 stars...ranked on Tripadvisor as #27 of 4,886 hotels in Beijing

Xian - Hilton Xian...5 stars...ranked on Tripadvisor #4 of 1,699 hotels in Xi'an

Shanghai - Shangri-la Jing'an...5 stars?...ranked on Tripadvisor #124 of 3,509 hotels in Shanghai

Sounds like they have us in top hotels...anyone have opinions on these (not like we have any power to change anything)?

As to coping with jet lag: after a great many trips all around the world...and having tried many different methods...I have decided there are no sure-fire methods or rules. I always adapt fairly quickly--despite being largely unable to sleep on planes. My wife takes several days and never really fully adapts. Everyone is different. I TRY to just sleep when I can, reset my watch immediately, try to got to bet, wake up and eat on local time and just ignore whatever my body is telling me...it works for me. Probably doesn't work for anyone else though...

Well...our TA was able to get us this much hotel info...subject to change, of course...

Beijing - Ritz Carlton Financial Street...5 stars...ranked on Tripadvisor as #27 of 4,886 hotels in Beijing

Xian - Hilton Xian...5 stars...ranked on Tripadvisor #4 of 1,699 hotels in Xi'an

Shanghai - Shangri-la Jing'an...5 stars?...ranked on Tripadvisor #124 of 3,509 hotels in Shanghai

Sounds like they have us in top hotels...anyone have opinions on these (not like we have any power to change anything)?

As to coping with jet lag: after a great many trips all around the world...and having tried many different methods...I have decided there are no sure-fire methods or rules. I always adapt fairly quickly--despite being largely unable to sleep on planes. My wife takes several days and never really fully adapts. Everyone is different. I TRY to just sleep when I can, reset my watch immediately, try to got to bet, wake up and eat on local time and just ignore whatever my body is telling me...it works for me. Probably doesn't work for anyone else though...

Your insight on Jet Lag Steve is probably right each person reacts differently.

I asked a couple posters on Tripadvisor about the Ritz in Beijing, as we are staying a couple nights ahead of time, one poster said there is a great food court in the mall attached to the hotel if you forget anything.

Regarding VISA's any suggestions on whether to apply for "G" Multiple Entry or "L" Tourist?

Viking also had us in the Ritz Carlton Financial Street. It was a very nice hotel, as were ALL of the Viking hotels in the other cities. I wouldn't worry.

As for jet lag, it was a 12-hour time change for us. We arrived in Beijing in the afternoon, and I just tried to pretend as much as I could that we were on local time. After we unpacked, we went over to the flag-lowering ceremony at sunset at Tiananmen Square, and stayed up until a decent hour after dinner. We were on our own the next day, touring with a private guide, and finally "hit the wall" in the early afternoon. A swim and a nap (we were in a different hotel while we were on our own) did the trick, and we were good to go after that.

Like you, we try to stay on local time, but at some point, you may have to give in a bit to the exhaustion. As you said, there's no perfect answer. In some ways, we found the extreme time difference easier to cope with than the 5-7 hour change after flying to Europe. I should add, however, that coming home from China really did us in for weeks.

Regarding VISA's any suggestions on whether to apply for "G" Multiple Entry or "L" Tourist?

For Americans, at least when we went (2011), the cost was the same, and the visa service got us multiple entry visas. You'd have to check whether that's the case for Canadians. The visa service that Viking recommends is terrific and will answer questions by phone even if they don't know whether you will be using them.

Your insight on Jet Lag Steve is probably right each person reacts differently.

I asked a couple posters on Tripadvisor about the Ritz in Beijing, as we are staying a couple nights ahead of time, one poster said there is a great food court in the mall attached to the hotel if you forget anything.

I went on the Imperial Jewels of China in 2010. I got my Visa from Vancouver as I live on the Island. There may be a place in Winnipeg where you can get yours, I am not sure. I grew up in Manitoba, all my relatives are still there.

I got my Visa from China Travel Service (Canada) INC. The phone number is: 1-800-663-1126

It cost $65.00 (in 2010.

There's a China Consulate here in Los Angeles...so I am planning on just driving over and applying for the Visas in person...

I've downloaded the forms from the consulate's website...

Rates seem to be up quite a bit from when some of you folks went--now $140 per person! The price is the same whether you do a single entry or a multiple entry year-long visa...so, I don't see the problem with getting the longer one--just in case we decide to go back within a year...

The only thing I'm a bit puzzled with is the timing. Viking says to get the Visa at least 90 days before the trip, but I've also read somewhere on these boards that you must make your first entry into China within 90 days of the date of the visa...Obviously, it can't be both Anyone know which is correct?

We did not stay in any of these, but the Viking hotels that we were put in were some of ther best hotels we have every stayed at.

I have no doubt your hotels will also be excellent ones.

I went on the Imperial Jewels of China in 2010. I got my Visa from Vancouver as I live on the Island. There may be a place in Winnipeg where you can get yours, I am not sure. I grew up in Manitoba, all my relatives are still there.

I got my Visa from China Travel Service (Canada) INC. The phone number is: 1-800-663-1126

It cost $65.00 (in 2010.

Thanks everyone for all your replies regarding my question on "G" multy entry or "L" tourist visa - The cost is $50 more for the G here in Canada at a cost of $150 only a $50 increase compared to the L. I am sending my application to my sister in Vancouver, my travel companion, as there is no Chinese Consulate in Manitoba and she can just walk it in with her's. My thought is the G.

There's a China Consulate here in Los Angeles...so I am planning on just driving over and applying for the Visas in person...

Rates seem to be up quite a bit from when some of you folks went--now $140 per person! The price is the same whether you do a single entry or a multiple entry year-long visa...so, I don't see the problem with getting the longer one--just in case we decide to go back within a year...

The only thing I'm a bit puzzled with is the timing. Viking says to get the Visa at least 90 days before the trip, but I've also read somewhere on these boards that you must make your first entry into China within 90 days of the date of the visa...Obviously, it can't be both Anyone know which is correct?

Steve, double check what you read from Viking. I'm pretty sure it says not more than 90 days.

Here's a link to the Chinese Embassy's visa webpages: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/ The Embassy says get your visa 30 days in advance of departure.

Double check with the LA consulate for its hours. Each consulate works a bit differently.

Section 2.2 of the Visa application from Viking's partner has four choices for entry. First, single entry which is good for 3 months from issue date. Second, double entry which is good for 6 months from date of issue. The last two choices are both multiple entry with one good for 6 months and the other one year.

Your Visa will have two dates; Issue Date and Entry Before Date.

Single entry Visa would look similar to this;

Entry Before:1May2014 Which expires at 2400 hours local time

Issue Date:1Feb2014

Multiple entry;

Entry Before:1Feb2015

Issue Date:1Feb2014.

Hi Steve,

My husband and I went to the China Consulate in Los Angeles last week and got our Visa's. You do have to go back a few days later to pick it up. It was fairly simple. In addition to the completed applications you need to bring one passport photo and they asked for a copy of our airline ticket. They actually needed to keep it, so make a copy. If you have any questions you can email me. There is free two hour parking on the street behind Shatto Place where there are apartment buildings. They are only open until 2 PM.

We are staying in different hotels:

In Shanghai we are at the Westin Bund Shanghai, Trip Advisor ranks 5 stars, #24

In Xian we are staying at the Sheraton North City, Trip Advisor ranks 4.5 stars, #9

In Beijing we are staying at the Westin Chaoyang Beijing, Trip Advisor ranks 5 stars, #43

While these would not have necessarily been my first choice of hotels, they seem pretty decent. I am sure they will be fine.

When are you going Steve? We are going in April, 2014.

That's where Viking had us in 2011. It's a really nice hotel, very modern. (And so high tech we couldn't figure out how to turn off one of the lights. :)) Our room was quite comfortable and the bathroom was amazing. Also, it's an easy walk over to the Bund, which we really appreciated, as walking along the Bund at night was a highlight.

China20113676_01.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Hi Steve,

My husband and I went to the China Consulate in Los Angeles last week and got our Visa's. You do have to go back a few days later to pick it up. It was fairly simple. In addition to the completed applications you need to bring one passport photo and they asked for a copy of our airline ticket. They actually needed to keep it, so make a copy. If you have any questions you can email me. There is free two hour parking on the street behind Shatto Place where there are apartment buildings. They are only open until 2 PM.

Thanks for the help.

The airline ticket sounds a bit problematic...

Our air is through Viking...They supposedly don't tell us until 75 days out, so I guess well have to hold off on the visas...

...and, don't they use "e-tickets" nowadays?

We're going in June...

I wish we could go in April--better weather...but my wife works for LAUSD...we can't go until the school year ends...

Thanks for the help.

Our air is through Viking...They supposedly don't tell us until 75 days out, so I guess well have to hold off on the visas...

You can't really get the visa much before 90 days anyway so you'll only be waiting a couple of weeks.

Even with an e-ticket you will still have a record locator and flight numbers which is what they will be looking for. Not sure what Viking send through, but given they know you need a visa I'd hope they would send through something suitable but if in doubt ask them.

We have booked our own air so I'll be taking a print out of the reservation details.

Thanks for the help.

Contact Viking and explain you need something from them in order to apply for the visa.

And yes, it will be an e-ticket.

Thanks everyone for all your replies regarding my question on "G" multy entry or "L" tourist visa - The cost is $50 more for the G here in Canada at a cost of $150 only a $50 increase compared to the L. I am sending my application to my sister in Vancouver, my travel companion, as there is no Chinese Consulate in Manitoba and she can just walk it in with her's. My thought is the G.

I am now rethinking getting a "G" visa (multi entry) as I emailed a few Canadians through tripadvisor who have taken the same Viking cruise or one similar and they all had a "L" tourist visa. My sister and travel companion lives in vancouver where there is a china consulate so she is going to apply first and then do a third party applicaton for myself.

We are staying in different hotels:

In Xian we are staying at the Sheraton North City, Trip Advisor ranks 4.5 stars, #9

In Beijing we are staying at the Westin Chaoyang Beijing, Trip Advisor ranks 5 stars, #43

While these would not have necessarily been my first choice of hotels, they seem pretty decent. I am sure they will be fine.

Hi Carol - Looks like we're in the same hotels (for the same trip). Since the closest consulate is 6-7 hrs away we're going to have to use the Visa service so trying to get things sent out this week. Been so busy the past few months the trip is now sneaking up on us but we'll be ready.

Sorry should have written that. Yes all BA

Perfect, thanks for the update.

The direct flights from LHR do make it easy, we were looking at flying on Cathay Pacific, but that would have involved connecting in Hong Kong, so although Cathay probably have the edge in terms of comfort on board, we opted for BA for convenience.

It cost $65.00 (in 2010.

Travelfirst - can you check your Visa and see if you had a L or G. Thanks

Thanks for the help.

We're going in June...

I wish we could go in April--better weather...but my wife works for LAUSD...we can't go until the school year ends...

We had to show our airline tickets because we booked them separately. If you show your booking with Viking, which includes the air, you should be okay with that. You can go to the Consulate 90 days prior to your departure, not any sooner.

Travelfirst - can you check your Visa and see if you had a L or G. Thanks

It doesn't say anything about an L or G on mine but it does say it was a Single Entry Visa..

Sorry I haven't been on here earlier today as I am trying to book a flight to New Zealand for a month.