In Dubai! Where to stay and what to do?

Frode

Hello from Stockholm (Sweden)! My wife & I will do our first cruise ever with RCCL :eek: ("Brilliance of the Seas") in December (from Dubai).

We will stay 2 nights / 1,5 days before the cruise.

I am confused about where to stay....in the city centre..or by the seaside (Dubai Marina area). We are not especially interested in shopping. It should be a very nice hotel (5, or maybe 4, stars). Any suggestion?

And what to see/do? Anything we shouldn't miss while there?

Thanks!

Hello from Stockholm (Sweden)! My wife & I will do our first cruise ever with RCCL :eek: ("Brilliance of the Seas") in December (from Dubai).

I am confused about where to stay....in the city centre..or by the seaside (Dubai Marina area). We are not especially interested in shopping. It should be a very nice hotel (5, or maybe 4, stars). Any suggestion?

Thanks!

We stayed at Atlantis Dubai pre cruise and loved it. Very opulent, just what I expected to find in Dubai. Good food in the restaurants, short cab rides to wherever we went. Had dinner one night at the burg al arab (it had been on my bucket list for years!) Lots of night life right outside the hotel on the beach, very lively place. Worth the once in a lifetime splurge

At the moment, I can only think of three things that I've done in Dubai so far that I would recommend:
  1. Afternoon tea at the top of the Burj al Arab.
  2. The observation deck of the Burj Khalifa (book a timed ticket to avoid the extortionate walk-up rate).
  3. The shows at the Dubai Fountain (they're not all the same, so it's worth staying for several).

Otherwise, the departures side of the airport is normally top of my favourite places list, but you're lucky to be leaving on a ship.

Hello from Stockholm (Sweden)! My wife & I will do our first cruise ever with RCCL :eek: ("Brilliance of the Seas") in December (from Dubai). We will stay 2 nights / 1,5 days before the cruise.

Thanks!

Where to stay in Dubai:

The Sheraton Dubai Creek Hotel http://www.sheratondubaicreek.com is the only hotel located on Dubai Creek. The location of the hotel can’t be beat and the hotel is fabulous. The dinner cruise boats leave from the pier next to the hotel. The scenery as you walk along the boardwalk behind the hotel is awesome. We spent two nights there pre-cruise and highly recommend this hotel.

What to do in Dubai:

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19853920&postcount=53 for information on viewing my video of Dubai that includes highlights of some of the more interesting tourist spots in city of Dubai, UAE. These include: Dhow and Abra stations along Dubai Creek; the Gold Souq; Spice Souq; Palm Island; Burj Al Arab and Atlantis Hotels; Mall of Emirates and Ski Dubai; and a Desert Dune Bashing Safari.

Click on http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/dubai/custompage.aspx?id=dubai_sightseeing_tour&gclid= for information on the Dubai Big Bus Tours. The hop on hop bus tour includes two routes that cover all of the sights of the city and beach areas. This is the best way to see Dubai.

Click on http://www.desertsafaridubai.com for information on a Desert Safari that was one of the highlights of our visit to Dubai. This is an absolute must do excursion.

I hope this helps.

Ron

Thanks!

Do a search through this forum for Hyatt + Dubai + greatam (my screen name). There are VERY explicit instructions how to get Hyatt Stay certificates (which are generally quite a bargain) for the Hyatt Regency (on the Creek), the Grand Hyatt (in the middle of everything) and the Park Hyatt (where the mucky mucky and celebrities stay). There are some great bargains with the stay certificates. Someone in one of the threads booked from Ireland so I am sure you can book from Sweden.

There is so much to see and do in Dubai-everything is simply over the top. But do take the time to have tea at the Burj Al Arab (NOT cheap but lets you into the hotel and the tea is a true English style tea with very filling food so you don't need dinner).

Enjoy!!!

There is so much to see and do in Dubai-everything is simply over the top. But do take the time to have tea at the Burj Al Arab (NOT cheap but lets you into the hotel and the tea is a true English style tea with very filling food so you don't need dinner).

Enjoy!!!

We had the buffet dinner at Burj Al Arab which was just a little more money that the tea and lots more food. With the buffet we were able to sample all the unfamiliar foods and not worry if we liked it or not. Lots of fun.

The Park Hyatt is directly on the creek. nice hotel, much newer than the Sheraton the earlier poster mentioned, next to the golf course.

On the beach the Madinat Jumeirah or its slightly more upmarket sister Al Qasr are v. good, dozens of restaurants and the indoor souk. Both overlook the Burj Al Arab.

Or if you wanted to be in the new downtown area (ironically called old town) next to the Burj Khalifa, there's The Address, or for a really nice 4 star done in Arabic style, The Palace.

Atlantis gives me hives.

Also if yours is the first cruise of the month with a December 4 departure you would be in time for the Emirates Airline Dubai Rugby Sevens tournament from December 1 to 3 - even if you hate rugby, every expat in Dubai turns up and its a party.

Hello, thanks for all your advice where to stay in Dubai (two nights ahead of our cruise). We have been concidering staying in/close to "the old town" (!) as well as in the Marina area, and have ended up in wanting to stay in the city centre. This due to the fact that we will have a lot of sea, sand & sun anyway during the 7-nights cruise :)

I've got a really great deal at the Mövenpick Hotel Bur Dubai (5*), and it will be close to "the old city", souks, the creek, Burj Khalifa ...and shopping (but that is not important for us).

Looking forward to our stay, really!

Additionally, next to the rugby event which we didn't know anything about, we have noticed that UAE are celebrating their National Day during the 2nd-3rd of December. So I am sure there will be a lot of "activities" going on :p

Enjoy!!!

We had the buffet dinner at Burj Al Arab which was just a little more money that the tea and lots more food. With the buffet we were able to sample all the unfamiliar foods and not worry if we liked it or not. Lots of fun.

I've just booked to do an Arabian Gulf cruise this New Year and my flight home is not until 1.30 so have a lot of time to kill , and the Burj was one of the things I was considering. I expect in to be expensive but just how expensive would it be for afternoon tea or the the buffet dinner?

• 2 months later...

I've just booked to do an Arabian Gulf cruise this New Year and my flight home is not until 1.30 so have a lot of time to kill , and the Burj was one of the things I was considering. I expect in to be expensive but just how expensive would it be for afternoon tea or the the buffet dinner?

I would also be interested in the answer to this question - can anyone help out please?

I would also be interested in the answer to this question - can anyone help out please?

I'm paying 395AED for afternoon tea in the Sahn Eddar. As they have brunch on Fridays in the Sky View, I could not go there. They have a few options, which are listed on their website under dining

Hi,

The culinary flight at Burj Al Arab is supposed to be excellent.

Arrive for your Culinary Flight for pre-dinner drinks atSky View Bar(during dinner only). Take in the spectacular view whilst indulging in your first course at Al Muntaha. The next stopover takes you to Al Iwan (during dinner only) for your delectable second course. After which you can make your way to Junsui to savour a sumptuous third course. Relish your main course at Al Mahara Restaurant and for the finishing touch; appease your sweet tooth cravings in Sahn Eddar Lounge.

Build up your appetite for these mouth-watering offers:

Lunch:

AED 790 per person inclusive of a 4-course menu

AED 990 per person inclusive of a 4-course menu and Sommelier selection

Dinner:

AED 990 per person inclusive of a 5-course menu

AED 1,490 per person inclusive of a 5 -course menu and Sommelier selection

AED 1,990 per person inclusive of a 5 -course menu, Sommelier selection, Rolls Royce pick-up or drop off

or there is

Sahn Eddar

Price:

Ultimate Afternoon Tea at AED 395 per person inclusive of Champagne

Ultimate Afternoon Tea at AED 350 per person inclusive of non-alcoholic drinks

High Tea at AED 275 per person

Or if you like Asian food

Junsui

Pure delight The Japanese word for ‘pure’, Junsui is an authentic Far East Asian restaurant set within the opulent interiors of Burj Al Arab. With breathtaking views over the Arabian Gulf and an uber-stylish cocktail lounge, Junsui is the definitive place to be in a setting which is a pure delight.

The Culinary team is comprised of Asian chefs preparing a wide selection in front of the guests, from twelve live stations in open kitchen concept. Japanese and Chinese cuisine will be well presented and completed with Thai, Indonesian and Korean dishes.

Price:

Breakfast at AED 250 per person

Lunch at AED 350 per person

Dinner at AED 395 per person

Asian Afternoon Tea at AED 275 per person

Junsui Lounging at AED 185 per person

Archived