Princess cruisers

R**T

Recently returned from the Emerald Princess transatlantic crossing and my # 1 pet peeve about Princess cruisers …

Room service dishes left in the hallway. Yes folks. We love to see your dirty dishes and leftovers. This reminds me of Homer Simpson tossing his trash over the back fence into the neighbor’s yard. Please, please, leave your dirty dishes in your cabin. Your cabin attendant will take them away or you can call room service. And don’t forget to tip.

My # 2 pet peeve about Princess cruisers …

Letting one person “hold” a space in line for an entire group. Just when I think it is almost my turn, all these folks magically appear. Then there are those who hold seats in the theater to make it convenient for the latecomers to disturb everyone. Rude. Rude. Rude.

My # 3 pet peeve about Princess cruisers …

Walkers, wheelchairs, and scooters parked overnight in the corridors. Some of these occupy half of the corridor so this is really a safety issue. By allowing this to happen, Princess assumes a huge liability. Since it not politically correct to tell someone they can’t park their wheelchair wherever and whenever they want, Princess should step up and provide a safe place.

I trust you've included these comments back to Princess in the cruise survey.

As for dishes - this is a carryover from land based hotels. Normally a steward will remind someone it is not necessary.

Lines - unfortunately this behavior happens, even though it is inconsiderate.

Handicapped aides - Please be considerate of those who need these aides and would not have room to negotiate in the cabin if they were inside.

If you are on a cruise and need a scooter for mobility you call Princess and they refer you to a company that will rent you scooter. This company will ask you your cabin number and leave it in the hallway. However the scooter is just to wide to bring it thru the door of your cabin. Then what do you do??? leave it in the hallway. The number of handicap passengers increase as the number of days on the cruise increases. Anyone who complains should be happy they don't have to deal with a handicap!!!!

Wheelchairs, walkers and scooters have been banned by Princess from being stored in the hallway for some time now. It is a safety issue and other passengers can not pass safely (especially during rough seas), as the hallways are just too narrow. Those who store these devices outside their stateroom need to remember there are other passenger with walkers and scooters that also need to get by, how are they supposed to make their way down the hallway with another scooter or wheelchair in the way? If it would have been me, I would have called the customers service desk and reported these be removed. Passenger know they are not supposed to do this, and although I feel bad that they have a disability in need of these devices, this is not a safe practice by my standards OR the cruise lines, and it needs to be enforced.

I have not seen a scooter or wheelchair stored in the hallway on any ship we have sailed on since they began enforcing this, maybe I have just been lucky. Princess really needs to step up on this as even the room stewards can not get past with their carts if these items are stored outside in the halls. Below is the statement directly from the Princess FAQ section (changed a few years ago to alert passengers they can no longer store these items in the hallways):

"Passengers utilizing mobility devices with batteries are advised that the batteries must be a dry cell type, and must be stored and recharged in the stateroom. Mobility devices of any kind, like any other items, may not be left outside the stateroom. Because of staffing limitations, we recommend you be accompanied by someone who is physically able to assist you both onboard and onshore."

While this is a Princess thread, and mostly Princess Cruisers are reading this BUT....

Please do not start each statement with "Princess Cruisers"... This is definitely not limited to Princess.

I agree with everything you have said but it is as problematic and dynamic in scope as Pool Chair Hogs.

Having cruised on Carnival I might even say that Princess is pretty good in comparison.

Just a thought.

First and foremost, this behavior and/or lack of consideration is not limited to "Princess Cruisers". You will have rude and inconsiderate behavior in ALL groups of people, anytime, anywhere. It's just the world we live in now, with lack of discipline and lack of manners being taught and enforced at an early age.

As far as mobility devices and trays left in the hallway, I don't think that people that do this are intentionally being rude nor inconsiderate. I do feel like any items left in a narrow ship's hallway is potentially an extreme safety hazard and people that do this need to be made aware of the safety issues.

If they are made aware of the safety issues and continue to leave items in the hallway anyway, then they fall into the rude and inconsiderate category.

I am very sorry that anyone has to use a mobility device, but you cannot jeopardize the safety of others because it's inconvenient to keep your device in your stateroom. Maybe the answer is that Princess needs to have more handicapped rooms available. I will add I have never seen mobility devices left in the hallway on any of the ships I have sailed on with Princess. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Recently returned from the Emerald Princess transatlantic crossing and my # 1 pet peeve about Princess cruisers …

Room service dishes left in the hallway. Yes folks. We love to see your dirty dishes and leftovers. This reminds me of Homer Simpson tossing his trash over the back fence into the neighbor’s yard. Please, please, leave your dirty dishes in your cabin. Your cabin attendant will take them away or you can call room service. And don’t forget to tip.

Letting one person “hold” a space in line for an entire group. Just when I think it is almost my turn, all these folks magically appear. Then there are those who hold seats in the theater to make it convenient for the latecomers to disturb everyone. Rude. Rude. Rude.

Walkers, wheelchairs, and scooters parked overnight in the corridors. Some of these occupy half of the corridor so this is really a safety issue. By allowing this to happen, Princess assumes a huge liability. Since it not politically correct to tell someone they can’t park their wheelchair wherever and whenever they want, Princess should step up and provide a safe place.

Send the above concerns to Alan Buckelew,CEO, at Princess corporate office in Santa Clarita, CA. I believe that there are already policies in place for the items youhave mentioned.

Ciao for now!!!

Just returned from an NCL Star cruise and all of the above was seen and experienced.

Unforturnately, some people go on vacation and leave their manners at home, and not just cruisers.

If a mobility impaired person leaves their scooter or walker parked in the hallway, then how do they expect another wheelchair user to get pass, it's bad enough trying to get past the cabin steward's trolleys.

I guess I have been lucky in not encountering this before and always being able to get past in my wheelchair, or I must just be lucky having such a small wheelchair and not much bigger than a childs siz.

I completely agree with #2... (and I'm sure it happens on all cruise lines). On our last cruise on the Caribbean Princess out of New York, we got in the shortest line for formal night pictures. I was cruising with my son and wanted a nice picture. Well, we were "in the batters circle" when a giant family "joined" the single person ahead of us. There were at least 20 of them and they all wanted pictures in every combination conceivable. About 20 minutes later, we finally got our turn. Beyond rude... These people could have given the cast from "Jersey Shore" lessons in rudeness... :rolleyes:

I've seen all three behaviors on HAL and Celebrity cruises this year. On Celebrity, someone with a large, HC cabin stored their scooter in the hallway the entire cruise. I called the Front Desk and they never did anything.

As I remember, on Princess, there's a card on every room service tray to call the Dine line to pick up your tray. Anyone who ignores this and leaves it in the hall is rude and selfish.

I'm glad to hear I'm not being overly critical when I say leaving the walker/scooter/wheelchair in the hallway is rude and dangerous! We were also on the Emerald transatlantic with the OP and it was ridiculous how many times those items were left in the way of guests, steward carts, and other mobility challenged passengers! For those who've never seen this behavior on Princess ships, be glad.

Our next door neighbor was a real doozy!! He left his walker (which folded up and could have been stored in his closet) in the hallway every day. He also left dirty dishes/uneaten food in the hall right by our door. We'd push it over to his side of the entrance and then they put it next to OUR cabin door instead of HIS cabin door. And lastly, this imbecile smoked a pipe and a cigar in his inside cabin. You are clearly not allowed to smoke those items in a cabin. We had documentation for this (a sheet left in your cabin upon embarkation prohibits pipe and cigar smoking in cabins or on balconies) and complained. He was visited by the Passenger Services manager and denied it, but they actually found a cigar butt in the cabin. The pipe must have been hidden in a pocket somewhere. He was warned they would be monitoring him and he stopped. We saw him on promenade deck smoking the pipe, and would find dumped out tobacco on the deck after he left. Yeah, what a charmer he was!

By the way, Passenger Services told us the Emerald is going non smoking in October, not January. So perhaps it will all be accomplished fleetwide by January and not on January 15. Surprised me - I thought it was allowed until Jan. 15 on all ships. Anyone else hear about this? Could be bad information; you know how Passenger Services is!:rolleyes:

By the way, Passenger Services told us the Emerald is going non smoking in October, not January. So perhaps it will all be accomplished fleetwide by January and not on January 15. Surprised me - I thought it was allowed until Jan. 15 on all ships. Anyone else hear about this? Could be bad information; you know how Passenger Services is!:rolleyes:

I would guess they confused their dates, as they put the word out about the non-smoking rules so that if anyone wanted to cancel, they had plenty of time without penalty. I honestly doubt that the Emerald will go non-smoking until January 15, as the rest of the fleet, or else they will have a real problem onboard with those that booked for October thinking the old rules still applied.

Yep, I think you found a real stinker (pun intended) in the cabin next door. Isn't it a shame that some have to just break the rules as they see fit, and don't care about anyone else? Sorry you had to experience such rudeness.

Quite doubtful unless they go against Princess policy. It sounds like someone got it a little wrong.

I think you are correct in your guess that this is bad information. We have a cruise on the Emerald that begins on January 7, 2012, and another one that begins in January 2013. The cruise beginning in January 2013 has a "sticky" at the top of the Cruise Personalizer page stating the new smoking policy, while the January 7, 2012 cruise does not.

While this is a Princess thread, and mostly Princess Cruisers are reading this BUT....

Please do not start each statement with "Princess Cruisers"... This is definitely not limited to Princess.

I agree with everything you have said but it is as problematic and dynamic in scope as Pool Chair Hogs.

Having cruised on Carnival I might even say that Princess is pretty good in comparison.

Just a thought.

I agree - I've cruised other lines and others line have similar issues. These aren't good things but I do hope the OP had a good cruise otherwise. It would be nice to hear if there were things good about the cruise that the OP enjoyed.

We were on the Emerald in the summer and there were a few scooters that were parked by the elevator areas on some late evenings when we returned to our cabins. We didn't see any parked in the hallway unless they were just leaving their cabin. I have seen some dishes in the hall but i think as another poster said, it is a leftover habit from staying in a hotel. I admire cruisers that are still going strong even in a scooter/wheelchair. I don't know if I could do it myself. Oh and I can tell you from experience that scooters are heavy when they run over your toes. Don't mess with old ladies talking on their cell phone trying to backup, ignoring everyone else on the elevator and just backs the thing in over my foot. Never stopped talking, never apologised and totally ignored all of us saying whoa to her before the "drive-by" lol

Archived