How formal is HAL?

Circusboy354

There is lots of room for both. People who do not wısh to dress up (lıke us) have alternatıves to the MDR. İ am not certaın why thıs ıs such a bıg ıssue anymore.

İt ıs really a HAL ıssue sınce HAL decıdes and monitors MDR dress on formal nıghts

There are two kinds of people posting on the dress threads - those with strong opinions regarding HAL's suggested dress guidelines, and people new to HAL and/or cruising who are looking for information.

To those with strong opinions - nothing I or anyone else posts is likely to change your opinion.

To those newcomers - please keep in mind when reading these threads that there is a very strident, very vocal minority who is obsessed with how others dress while on their vacations. If you review some past threads, you will find that many of the 'dress obsessed' posters have decreed that jeans are unacceptable at any time while aboard (even on casual nights, ROFL), and have mandated standards about how to dress upon embarkation. Embarkation! These are a couple of examples to illustrate the mindset of the 'dress obsessed'.

So, to the newcomers - don't let the 'dress obsessed' fashion police stress you out or raise your anxiety levels. Don't be pressured into eating on the Lido or ordering room service on formal nights (and the truth is, food on the Lido - while acceptable - does not match the selection or quality of food served in the Main Dining Room). Wear what you would feel comfortable wearing in a nice restaurant on land to the MDR on formal nights and you will be absolutely fine.

It may be a hot topi elsec, but it doesn't cause an uproar EVERY time it is discussed like it does here.

Sticky thread:Learn it.Love it.Live it.

Sure does cause an "uproar". I spend alot of time on the RCI boards and can't tell you how many "dress code" threads get locked.

People are passionate about both sides. I always looked forward to sailing on HAL becuase for the most part pax dressed according to the suggestions. I'm seeing more and more pax on HAL that are ignoring the suggestions and wearing whatever they feel like wearing.

On our last HAL cruise I did notice that a pax was turned away on formal night. He was dressed in a jogging suit.:rolleyes:

@Bakincakes: It's a shame people break the rules like that. I like to dress up;just not to the formal wear level.

JR: I agree about the Lido food-good, but for dinner,I really want the MDR experience! And I'm certainly not going to stay cooped up in my cabin eating room service(as good as it is) so dressy it is.

Evidently you haven't visited other boards.

Dress code is a hot topic on nearly every board.:)

What I wonder is do pax ever visit the websites of their chosen line? Or are they too lazy to do so in order to find out information about things like dress codes..number of formal nights...embarkation times..debarkation times..required ID for travel...etc..etc..

As the starter of this thread I assume this is directed at me. I did use the HAL website, however this only gives the suggestion. My question was to find out if the majority of passengers followed the HAL suggestion. As far as I recall even RCCL suggests similar for formal nights, although few people follow the suggestions.

My wife would feel extremely uncomfortable in a ball gown if the majority of other passengers we're dressed more casually, likewise we'd feel uncomfortable dressed casually if the majority we're formally.

There are cruiselines that cater for a casual cruise and others that offer a more formal cruise. It's great that both are available and I do think that people have some obligation to follow the suggestions of the respective companies.

As the starter of this thread I assume this is directed at me. I did use the HAL website, however this only gives the suggestion. My question was to find out if the majority of passengers followed the HAL suggestion. As far as I recall even RCCL suggests similar for formal nights, although few people follow the suggestions.

Mcferran, you have every right to start a thread on any topic (within the site terms of service), at any time. Please don't ever think otherwise.

Yes, there is a search function which can be helpful, but it doesn't always work, or the info you're looking for sometimes just isn't there. And even if it is, sometimes it's just nice to talk about a topic, or get to know the folks who hang out around here. And let them get to know you!

I do think that people have some obligation to follow the suggestions of the respective companies.

Not disagreeing with that.I'm going to dress up(obviously).But I've noticed a stridentness,that even what would be considered formal for most isn't passing muster. "Yes, that's formal enou..no wait, it isn't." Not talking track suits,either.:eek:

As the starter of this thread I assume this is directed at me. I did use the HAL website, however this only gives the suggestion. My question was to find out if the majority of passengers followed the HAL suggestion.

To answer your original question about what is actually practiced on HAL ships regarding formal dress, especially in the MDR on formal nights, that will likely vary from ship to ship, and from itinerary to itinerary.

But there is a clear and strengthening trend toward a relaxing of the formal dress code, and a general increase in the level of frustration about the sheer number of formal nights (e.g. 5 formal nights on a recent 17 day transatlantic cruise, which many cruisers rightly regard as being ridiculous).

In fact, it is likely that this movement toward friendlier, more comfortable and casual fashion trends is provoking the die-hard fashion police types into a frenzy, where they feel that the 'dam is breaking' and they need to get 'all hands on deck' to stem the tide, which in turn they probably see as a metaphor for the 'decline' in the morality of society, or the 'decay' of Western civlilzation. In some ways, it seems that this debate reflects an ageless generational struggle - the predictability of which should actually afford some comfort to those resistant to change.

My wife would feel extremely uncomfortable in a ball gown if the majority of other passengers we're dressed more casually, likewise we'd feel uncomfortable dressed casually if the majority we're formally.

There are cruiselines that cater for a casual cruise and others that offer a more formal cruise. It's great that both are available and I do think that people have some obligation to follow the suggestions of the respective companies.

I hope you weren't offended by my reply to the post to which you're replying. If so, I apologize. I didn't mean to imply that YOU are lazy. I was replying to the refernce to numerous questions about embarkation, documents, etc, which HAL does clearly state. (I don't blame anyone for not using the CC search function, which is often out of commission) Dress code, however, is not one of those clear items. That's why there are so many dress code threads.

I think HAL is intentionally vague in order to avoid offending anyone. They're afraid of losing customers who don't want to dress up so they made the formal night "dress code" a "suggestion." They're afraid of losing customers who want formal nights so they don't get rid of formal nights. Add to that the uneven administration of the "dress code" on board, and everyone is confused.

In fact, it is likely that this movement toward friendlier, more comfortable and casual fashion trends is provoking the die-hard fashion police types into a frenzy, where they feel that the 'dam is breaking' and they need to get 'all hands on deck' to stem the tide, which in turn they probably see as a metaphor for the 'decline' in the morality of society, or the 'decay' of Western civlilzation. In some ways, it seems that this debate reflects an ageless generational struggle - the predictability of which should actually afford some comfort to those resistant to change.

Very well said!:D

You remind me of my mother, who is always so very concerned about "fitting in" with everyone else -- i.e., not standing out or being conspicuous. I understand the concern. Please rest assured that the majority of HAL passengers do, indeed, usually dress according to the suggestions in HAL's Dress Code. On Formal Nights most men "wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo" and most women wear "wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown." The code is broad enough to provide sufficient latitude for those who want to "pull out all the stops" and "dress to the 9s" and for those who simply prefer the more casual look of a jacket and tie for guys or pant/sparkly top or cocktail dress for gals.

There are always going to be a few who don't wish to play along, but they are a decided minority aboard ship. Even fewer are contentious about it, and most of those are only found on these boards (i.e., tossing around loaded epithets like "fashion police" or "slob"). In other words, you won't see the kind of bickering that comes out on these boards while aboard ship.

So, go and dress up and have a good time!

I think HAL is intentionally vague in order to avoid offending anyone. They're afraid of losing customers who don't want to dress up so they made the formal night "dress code" a "suggestion." They're afraid of losing customers who want formal nights so they don't get rid of formal nights. Add to that the uneven administration of the "dress code" on board, and everyone is confused.

I agree...And that is why we will continue to have this subject discussed on this board.

I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head.

My comments weren't really directed at anyone in particular.

I've just noticed that people tend to ask the kind of questions where answers are readily available on cruiseline websites.

I've also wondered why pax would ask questions like "can my hospital certificate be used as ID to board", instead of asking the cruislines directly to get an important answer. I doubt that customs will accept "but they told me on cruisecritic I could use this for ID" as an excuse to let someone board without the proper ID.:)

Not disagreeing with that.I'm going to dress up(obviously).But I've noticed a stridentness,that even what would be considered formal for most isn't passing muster. "Yes, that's formal enou..no wait, it isn't." Not talking track suits,either.:eek:

Yes, I've seen stridentness, too. See below:

To answer your original question about what is actually practiced on HAL ships regarding formal dress, especially in the MDR on formal nights, that will likely vary from ship to ship, and from itinerary to itinerary.

But there is a clear and strengthening trend toward a relaxing of the formal dress code, and a general increase in the level of frustration about the sheer number of formal nights (e.g. 5 formal nights on a recent 17 day transatlantic cruise, which many cruisers rightly regard as being ridiculous).

I don't blame crew for wanting to avoid having to ask pax to change for dinner.

We've been witness to some pretty awful confrontations between pax and crew when pax have been asked to change before entering the MDR.

The issue is that once you allow "dressy jeans" into the MDR you are allowing other pax to use their own judgement about whether their "dressy garden jeans" should also be allowed. One mans "designer" jeans may be Calvin Klein..anothers might be clean Wranglers.

Same with shorts. Dress shorts are one thing..jean shorts could be another.

It all comes down to interpretation and many pax wish to interpret expensive ripped jeans as proper dress for the MDR. If you allow one kind of jeans then you have allow all of them.

Archived