How formal is HAL?

Circusboy354

My wife prefers a cruise with good formal nights, where the maority of the passengers dress up etc. We've saild Celebrity a number of times and Princess once before our son was born, since then we've been with Disney lol

It's been about 3 years since we've cruised with Celebrity but at that time the formal nights were reasonable, we found Princess not to be so formal.

I've always had it in the back of my mind that HAL was pretty formal, however now that I'm looking at a cruise for December I see they now offer anytime dining, which I think may not be so good for a formal cruise.

My wife loves the formal and informal nights, they are one of the highlights for cruising for her, do you think HAL would be for us? The cruise we are looking at is a December sailing on Westerdam.

For the past few years we've been sailing with Disney (which wasn't as bad as I initially thought), we did miss the formal nights, but the food was quite good and the shows were definately the best we've seen at sea. If only it didn't have so many children......... lol.

A LOT of people get REALLY formal on formal nights..and that's nice. A lot of people "dress up" in very nice clothes and look quite nice though not wearing a tux and evening gown.

I don't believe HAL is as formal as it USED to be, but people DO get dressed on formal nights and you'd look great in your formal wear and you will enjoy yourselves.

Not very many at all on any of my cruises have come into the dining room in casual wear and I've seen some turned away on formal night because of that.

I'm not an "evening gown" girl, but I DO wear pantsuits that are somewhat "glittery" and for the ladies, "palazzo" pants look great too. One thing I do though, is make sure my pantsuits or P Pants are long enough, because I don't wear heels anymore, but the long slacks do cover it up.

Mcferran, you can see by tip's discription of what he wears that HAL really isn't very formal. All it takes for a man is a sport coat w/tie to meet the code. Of course, dark suits, or a tux/dinner jacket does increase the "dress up" factor.

For a woman, a cocktail dress, or evening pants/long skirt with a fancy top does the trick.

The fact of the matter, though, is that most passengers do clean up nicely on formal nights. Of the few who don't, most of them at least reach the level of "smart casual"; there's always a few---but just a few---who don't climb out of their daywear. :rolleyes:

What I like about formal night is watching all the people all dressed up getting their formal photos taken. They ALL look so nice to me and I enjoy seeing them and many of the whole families have such beautiful photos taken.

Usually those who go formal on formal nights stay dressed up all night...and that looks nice too...even though some nights I go back to my room and put on something more comfortable for the rest of the night.

HAL used to be very formal on formal nights. I've noticed the past few years there are less & less with 'formal' attire. We always adhere to the request. But, I see more & more sport coats and sun dresses. This doesn't bother me, just don't ask me not to dress up. I like it. But, things have changed in the world. People just don't dress as well as they used to. I know its opinion and some feel they are well dressed. I think its a generational thing. I keep hoping classic clothing will make a comeback. I also think the rising prices of formal clothing might have something to do with. Have you checked the price of a good tux lately?

Do you think a lot of the formal discussions about attire has anything to do with where the cruise is going?

I think people tend to be more formal when sailing on one of the European itineraries than in the Carribbean. Am I wrong?

As I've said a zillion times....

I have two words for you: STICKY THREAD. It would prevent those who are trying to get useful information from posting threads and having them go Defcon ONE within a few hours,if not minutes.

I get that the OP was trying to get useful information, but this is such a hot button issue it becomes a moot point instantly because everyone has to put their .02 in and it becomes a free for all.

Fixed that for you...

Cheers

Mark

A LOT of people get REALLY formal on formal nights..and that's nice. A lot of people "dress up" in very nice clothes and look quite nice though not wearing a tux and evening gown.

I don't believe HAL is as formal as it USED to be, but people DO get dressed on formal nights and you'd look great in your formal wear and you will enjoy yourselves.

Not very many at all on any of my cruises have come into the dining room in casual wear and I've seen some turned away on formal night because of that.

I'm not an "evening gown" girl, but I DO wear pantsuits that are somewhat "glittery" and for the ladies, "palazzo" pants look great too. One thing I do though, is make sure my pantsuits or P Pants are long enough, because I don't wear heels anymore, but the long slacks do cover it up.

Don't worry about not wearing heels. There are so many cute ballerina flats these days that you don't need heels to be dressy. I DO wear heels. I'm short, and it beats hemming things. :cool:

What I like about formal night is watching all the people all dressed up getting their formal photos taken. They ALL look so nice to me and I enjoy seeing them and many of the whole families have such beautiful photos taken.

Usually those who go formal on formal nights stay dressed up all night...and that looks nice too...even though some nights I go back to my room and put on something more comfortable for the rest of the night.

I like that too! Especially when they have kids with them. The kids look so cute all dressed up. You don't get to see that often. And in defense of dressing up, I've never seen a dressed-up kid on formal night acting badly or complaining about having to wear a shirt and tie or tights and mary-janes.

Like I said..this is a hot button topic and the Fashion Police have no problem (over) stating their opinion.

DITTO!

This is the 4th thread in the past week concerning dress requirements. I guess the discussion will never end on HAL.

I recently viewed threads for the high end cruise lines (Regent, Oceania, Crystal, etc) for the past three months and found the following:

1. Void of threads on dress policy on ship. The only thread I did find was on Regent; The thread was, How many bathrobes are in each cabin?

2. Most of the threads discussed things on ships, shore excursions, ports of call, food, tipping, etc.

How refreshing !

PS: Please refrain from flaming. I realize I do not have to read these threads :eek:

Do you think a lot of the formal discussions about attire has anything to do with where the cruise is going?

I think people tend to be more formal when sailing on one of the European itineraries than in the Carribbean. Am I wrong?

My experience is that you are right. I find Europe more formal than a Caribbean, but it may have just been my own personal experiences:)

My experience is that you are right. I find Europe more formal than a Caribbean, but it may have just been my own personal experiences:)

We didn't find it so, but that may have been pertinent only to that one cruise in the Med.

As others point out, perhaps the real issue is whether HAL enforces their "dress code", since the code itself is a loose interpretation of "formal"

I appreciated the comment about enjoying the area of the photo shoot on "formal" nights. I like the idea of creating a true formal area of the ship on the appropriate nights where those who wish to enjoy that ambience can gather. That way, when I adhere to the "code", I won't be unintentially annoying those who expect more.

Perhaps the logistics would prove too daunting.

2. PS: Please refrain from flaming. I realize I do not have to read these threads :eek:

You have hit the nail on the head. It is not rocket science. You do not have to open threads. You do not have to read threads. Some folks for some reason want to censor threads, especially if they have opinions with which they disagree!;)

DITTO!

This is the 4th thread in the past week concerning dress requirements. I guess the discussion will never end on HAL.

I recently viewed threads for the high end cruise lines (Regent, Oceania, Crystal, etc) for the past three months and found the following:

1. Void of threads on dress policy on ship. The only thread I did find was on Regent; The thread was, How many bathrobes are in each cabin?

2. Most of the threads discussed things on ships, shore excursions, ports of call, food, tipping, etc.

How refreshing !

PS: Please refrain from flaming. I realize I do not have to read these threads :eek:

Could it be because most people who travel on those lines have no problems with following their chosen company's directives or suggestions, whatever they may be? It is amazing on this HAL board how many people continually praise the virtues HAL in one sentence and then want to change the rules in the next sentence. For your own sanity, pick a cruise line where you like the rules, and stick with them. ;)

Could it be because most people who travel on those lines have no problems with following their chosen company's directives or suggestions, whatever they may be?
Do you mean to say that there are some people in the world who are able to respect both the letter and the spirit of a polite request without immediately saying "**** off, I am just going to do whatever I want to do"?

Do you mean to say that there are some people in the world who are able to respect both the letter and the spirit of a polite request without immediately saying "**** off, I am just going to do whatever I want to do"?

Yes there are, but sometimes I feel we're a dying breed.

Like I said..this is a hot button topic and the Fashion Police have no problem (over) stating their opinion.

And we can always count on you to point that out. Just as often.

Pot, have you met Kettle?

Thanks for all the replies.

I do understand there will always be a few people who just won't try at all, on our Princess cruise we even had a guy would come to dinner (inc formal nights) in jeans and cowboy hat.

My wife likes to wear her gowns and to be honest I don't mind getting the tux out for the formal nights. I do understand a tux and gown isn't for everyone, I'm happy if other people try. I do understand some people have trouble with luggage allowances and maybe some can't afford it.

If people are neat and tidy they blend in wwith the rest of us. Our problem is more when people don't try for formal night and you have lots of people in jeans etc.

Thanks for all your help on here, we have decided to go with the HAL cruise, December 4th on Westerdam. There are some good prices on SC & SB suites, I have more questions, but feel a new thread may be better.

Thanks again.

Mark.

DITTO!

How refreshing !

It's interesting that the HAL boards seem to be the only place where asking about the dress code starts Armageddon.And anyone coming here and NOT knowing that..well, god help 'em. They see the replies to their post and ate like "never mind". Can't say I blame them.

Thanks for all the replies.

I do understand there will always be a few people who just won't try at all, on our Princess cruise we even had a guy would come to dinner (inc formal nights) in jeans and cowboy hat.

My wife likes to wear her gowns and to be honest I don't mind getting the tux out for the formal nights. I do understand a tux and gown isn't for everyone, I'm happy if other people try. I do understand some people have trouble with luggage allowances and maybe some can't afford it.

If people are neat and tidy they blend in wwith the rest of us. Our problem is more when people don't try for formal night and you have lots of people in jeans etc.

Thanks for all your help on here, we have decided to go with the HAL cruise, December 4th on Westerdam. There are some good prices on SC & SB suites, I have more questions, but feel a new thread may be better.

Thanks again.

Mark.

I'm glad you were "brave" enough to come back and tell us your decision. The SC and SB suites are really nice and come with some great perks. So sure, start a new thread and ask away!

It's interesting that the HAL boards seem to be the only place where asking about the dress code starts Armageddon.And anyone coming here and NOT knowing that..well, god help 'em. They see the replies to their post and ate like "never mind". Can't say I blame them.

Evidently you haven't visited other boards.

Dress code is a hot topic on nearly every board.:)

What I wonder is do pax ever visit the websites of their chosen line? Or are they too lazy to do so in order to find out information about things like dress codes..number of formal nights...embarkation times..debarkation times..required ID for travel...etc..etc..

What I wonder is do pax ever visit the websites of their chosen line? Or are they too lazy to do so in order to find out information about things like dress codes..number of formal nights...embarkation times..debarkation times..required ID for travel...etc..etc..

I know. Most lines have lots of info if you take the time to look.

You want to talk about lazy? On the Bermuda board, someone started a thread about "what should I do for a day in Bermuda?" There were some good suggestions about specific beaches and other sites, then he said "Thanks for the ideas, but I was hoping someone would plan a route and tell me which buses to take and where to get on and off the bus, etc." He wanted a personal tour guide! And what makes it really silly is that board has a sticky for Bermuda bus schedules.

Perhaps HAL should have the link for FAQ displayed more prominently. Like on the home page?

It may be a hot topi elsec, but it doesn't cause an uproar EVERY time it is discussed like it does here.

Sticky thread:Learn it.Love it.Live it.

It may be a hot topi elsec, but it doesn't cause an uproar EVERY time it is discussed like it does here.

Sticky thread:Learn it.Love it.Live it.

The threads don't cause an uproar ... people do. In particular, people who take one specific tack on a subject and then refuse to let it go. They obsess on that one tack and keep on pushing it until they drive other people to less than charitable responses.

You're getting close to doing that here.

There are some posts here that do a poor job of representing Holland America.

I think if one was sensitive enough they might cry, reading some of the responses on dress code threads.

"Exacting standards" indeed-though it doesn't need to be that way-unless necessary-like on formal nights-of course.

Archived