What is the Largest/Least Amount of Luggage you have taken?

kiwi121210

First family cruise next Saturday and I just managed to pack me and my three girls in a medium rolling duffle bag and a carry on sized luggage. Now my girls are still little (8, 5, and 4). We still have to take most of the room in my husband's suit bag with our 8 pretty dresses for "elegant" nights during the week. I am planning on one more smaller type bag for all of our bathroom stuff and little shoes. Not too bad I think for the 5 of us with luggage.

How much have you over packed or under packed for your cruise?? just wondering if it is just me trying to get the most in the least amount of space. :o

Last year on the Dream I had 80 lbs all by myself. Exactly half of that was camera and video gear, and one laptop. My large bag was exactly 2 pounds under the airline weight limit (confirmed on two scales, photographed as evidence before I left to the airport -- I never trust those, er, scoundrels).

When leaving for the ship, as I put the big bag into the rental car, it split wide open. I made a mad dash for the nearest Walmart and replaced it. Since the bag I bought was part of a cheap set that included two smaller bags, I handed those to somebody in the parking lot, said "Keep them, their free," and then headed to the port.

My wife and I each take a carry on and each have a suit case for our clothing In addition, we throw in one empty suit case for liquor and any goodies we buy during the cruise.

A lot depends on how you dress for formal night especially for the ladies. If you dress casual you don't have to bring an extra set of clothing. In my case since I dress semi formal, that means better shoes and socks, a tie, a dress shirt, white plain T-shirt, a suit, black belt and the list goes on and on.

Resort casual sounds great to me and makes it much easier. Maybe next time.

For DH & I we usually pack our carry-ons to the max. Our last cruise, in addition to our carry-ons, we both had 28" luggage that weighed in at 53 lbs+ :o

In our defense, it was a 7 day cruise and we were flying straight to our embarkation port from another short family vacation...and we also packed our snorkel gear & a few too many pairs of shoes for me :D. In hindsight, we should have brought less clothes and planned to do laundry onboard-it would have saved us the extra fees at the airport. Nevertheless, we had lots of fun!

I remember seeing a picture on CC of a couple's luggage for a honeymoon cruise, I think. They had to have had 7 or 8 large pieces of luggage between the two of them :eek:

We drive to the port most of the time, so weight isn't an issue thankfully, but I know we overpack most of the time, especially my oldest DD. She still packs her entire wardrobe I think. My rule is, you pack it, you deal with your own luggage. (she's 19). She ends up with a large rolling duffle (over stuffed, lol) garment bag and cosmetic case for the week. And a carry-on. The rest of us, 2 adults, one teen DD, one 6yo DD, can manage the same week in 2 more of the rolling ruffles, one garment bag and one carry-on. Plus a bag for snorkel gear, which I realize is an unnecessary item for some but we prefer our own.

Rolling carryon and an oversized purse or small backpack per person. When the kids were little they got one midsize backpack.

After an early travel experience many many years ago- I'd rather wear dirty clothes than repeat travel with too much luggage.

DH and I always pack a lot into a small space. We each have a rolling carryon(21-22") and either a medium backpack or a large tote. We can do a 9-10day cruise with that. DH does not wear a suit for elegant night but I DO wear nice dresses. They all pack easily!

We pack one carry on and one small personal bag. We fly to our ports. I do check one bag with my booze and soda. Cheeper to fly it than buy it on Carnival. We do not have the option to buy it at port. The suitcase that carries the booze goes into my suitcase on the return flight home. This way I do not pay extra baggage fee to return home. We do dress for dinners and elegent nights. My husband does were his suitcoat onto the plane than places it on top of his bag when on the plane. We try to bring only 3 pairs of shoes for the week, flip flops, elegant night and the rest of the time sandles. next cruise I will bring even less. No one dresses for dinner the first or last night so the jeans will work for those two nights. So pack, repack and than remove most of it- you will not wear it!

Enjoy

We only have 190 days til we cruise again!

Get a suitcase that has the "garment bag" built in....makes lugging dress clothes so much easier! Of course, you still have to watch the weight of the bags, if you're flying, but if you're driving, you can cram a ton of stuff into the suitcase part, and still keep your "good" clothes on hangers (folded once) and out of the mix of shoes, toiletries, etc...

We used to do formal nights and brought 2 suitcases each. But now we forego it and travel light, one carryon per person. We pack three changes of clothes per person, and we do laundry on the ship. We usually fly in the day before the cruise, buy the toiletries and the liquor we want at a local store. No lost bags that way. Started doing this after our first Meditteranean cruise. My wife's bag with all of her clothes did not make it to Rome. It took the airline two days to locate it and get it delivered. Arrived just 30 minutes before we departed.

We had fun with formal nights too, but we now have plenty of pictures and memories. Formal wear takes up a lot of room. And shoes are the worst of the culprits. Heavy and take up a lot of room.

Archived