MDR popularity?

PenguinLife

We will be taking our 4th Carnival cruise in a couple of months, and I have noted on our previous cruises highly variable occupancy of the MDR, and was wondering what you have seen. Our first Carnival cruise was a 7 day on Conquest, we shared a 4 place table with another couple, we missed one night and the other couple missed a different night. Our next cruise a 5 day with a 8 place table with 4 couples, only one night was everyone there, 2 nights we had the table to ourselves, one of those nights both tables next to us that we shared our wait staff with were empty. Our last cruise was a 2 place so no company.

Ike

I was at a ten top with only 3 other girls all week.. to make it worse, these girls were 20 to 40 minutes late every night .. so I was alone at a ten top which unfortunately was right in the middle of the room where everyone walked by and I felt was looking at me funny.

Im a little more reluctant to ask for a large table after that earlier this year.

We eat in the buffet...always.....

1. Get what you want...when you want it

2. Get the quantity you want....

3. More variety

4. No waiting

5. Sit where you want...as long as you want

6. Wear what you want

7. Don't need to wait for "latecomers"

8. Don't need to sit with people you don't want to sit with...and make small talk about nonsense...or hear about their maladies or grandchildren

I guess more people are catching on.........

You can even meet people........ :)

3. More variety

4. No waiting

6. Wear what you want

8. Don't need to sit with people you don't want to sit with...and make small talk about nonsense...or hear about their maladies or grandchildren

I agree that the buffet and anytime dining are becoming more popular. The last two cruises we went on we did anytime dining and it has really been great, you aren't working your day around a dining time that you have to make.

We were on six day Fantasy in July at a 10-top. Only two couples knew each other before cruise and no one missed (or was late) any night. We had the best time!! And ended up sitting with each other in bars and at shows by week's end. This has always been our experience and I would be so disappointed if we were seated with a bunch of no-shows!

On our last 7 night cruise, we made it to the MDR only 3 times, and at different times, varying from 545pm to 830pm. The other nights, we ate at the steakhouse or at the buffet. Because we are obviously not consistent with our dinner times, and because we enjoy flexibility and variety, we always pick Anytime Dining.

I think that as dining options have increased over the years, the number of people traditionally dining at the MDR at a fixed time has decreased, ( and we are part of the trend). :)

Let me start by saying I always do early seating, and request a table in the aft dining room by the windows. So that puts me at a 10 top. I am usually just cruising with one other person, so always a party of 2. My experience has been that if the first night goes well, those same people show every night. The exception would be if it is a day we don't leave port until 5:30 or so. Then a few may be missing. Last November, my mom and I were seated with a group of 18, so the one night they did not show, we had a very lonely corner!

And I am happy to say I have never had a bad experience yet with the fellow cruisers I have been placed with.

On my first cruise we ate in the MDR every night and had our own table because there were 7 of us.

Second cruise, we missed one night in the MDR but again had our own table (for 6 this time)

Third cruise, same as above (we had our own table for 8)

Fourth cruise, same yet again :) (table for 4)

Fifth cruise, my husband and I were on our honeymoon and ate in the MDR every night and were supposed to share our table with one other couple (they were young...like maybe 22 or 23 and just married). They came on the second night - formal night - but made it pretty clear that they preferred the buffet and never came back again. Of course...we could have scared them away, haha. We're pretty gregarious and kind of weird. :D

MsTabby...Ditto

I think with the quality slide, the MDR is becoming over-rated. If my wife wants a little one on one dining then I'll go but it's a hassle and too slow. With ATD I'd never return to the structured dining approach. I can't stand waiting for other people. We have chronic late guests for Holiday dinners and once I started serving at the set time they have caught on. If I take all day to prepare, you can show up on time. My kids were raised if you weren't 15 minutes early, you were late.

We always cruise with a big group of people (friends and family) We have have been seated at large one, two, and/or three tables. We always eat early seating and everyone in our group comes. The MDR has always looked packed around us. However, I can honestly say I don't walk around during dinner to check out how many people are there.

We love having a set dining time because when you have a big group, there might be several ideas on when and where to eat. This way there is no discussion.

I am just happy there are so many choices...that way those who want a set time can arrange that, and those that want ATD can choose that.

I see it as a win win situation!

Still like assigned, early seating in MDR, request table for six.

Have always had wonderful fellow guests at our tables and still keep in touch with many.

Eat every breakfast and every dinner in MDR.

If we just wanted buffet type/service meal, we'd simply stay home and go to MCL cafeteria.

Nice thing about cruising is that everyone has choices-even with when and how to eat!!

Since it became available, we choose your time dining. Even so, we make it to the MDR only about 2-3 times on a 7-day cruise. We prefer the steakhouse if available and usually book it 2-3 times. If we've had a busy day, we'll skip the MDR and eat at the Lido buffet.

I used to love dining in the MDR but it really hasn't been great for the last couple years and DH would rather eat at the steakhouse - better service, better food.

At least when we choose your time dining I don't feel like we are standing up our waitstaff, or other cruisers if we are at a larger table, if we don't show.

We will be taking our 4th Carnival cruise in a couple of months, and I have noted on our previous cruises highly variable occupancy of the MDR, and was wondering what you have seen. Our first Carnival cruise was a 7 day on Conquest, we shared a 4 place table with another couple, we missed one night and the other couple missed a different night. Our next cruise a 5 day with a 8 place table with 4 couples, only one night was everyone there, 2 nights we had the table to ourselves, one of those nights both tables next to us that we shared our wait staff with were empty. Our last cruise was a 2 place so no company.

Ike

you post reminds me when we were at a table of 10 consisting of 5 couples. the entire trip, everyone was present for only one meal. every other night, it was a combination of such. we never ate alone.

and this was 12 years ago.

The night where we had our own private wait staff certainly was interesting, I have no idea how many times we were offered more bread, etc. I think this was the night after being in port in Cozumel and the whole MDR was at about 20% capacity. Our last cruise with the table for 2 near the center of the MDR would have been nice, but we had some teen age pseudo music celebrity at the large round table across from us and all the teen age kids on the ship would drop by her table and say hi, etc. Don't ask me who she was, I never caught her name, just overheard kids at another table talking to their parents about seeing her video on youtube.

We always do late seating in the main dining room. We've never had problems with tablemates, or tablemates not showing. When we have our three kids 20-30 with us, I find Carnival consistently seats us with families of 4 or 5 that includes kids the same age as our youngest.

With kids this age that are off doing their own thing frequently, it is good for us to have that meeting time. We all gather for dinner at the same time and catch up every evening.

When we've sailed without kids we have been seated with tablemates similar in age and have had a nice time chatting over dinner. We've never missed dinner, nor have any tablemates we've been seated with.

3. More variety

4. No waiting

6. Wear what you want

That's the beauty of ANYTIME DINING!!!!

3. More variety

4. No waiting

6. Wear what you want

What she said.icon7.gif

3. More variety

4. No waiting

6. Wear what you want

Great post. Agree 100%, but I always stumble over the fact I've paid for the dining room meal and am taking a cheaper alternative without getting a discount. Last time we booked 6 months in advance and asked for YTD, but were waitlisted and ended up with early seating. Given how far in advance we booked, I guess it shows that many people are tiring of the long, drawn out MDR meals.

As for table mates and occupancy, we haven't shared a table since before our kids. Our table for 4 is always full!

In May we were at a 10-round. Our waiter never waited for late comers. We were handed menus and orders taken when we got there. One pair missed one night. Otherwise, everyone was there every night. We had a blast. I loved getting to know them and am friends with a couple of them still. I don't like anytime dining. I can get that at home:

--wait for a table

--they don't know what you like

--being one or two they may want to seat you with strangers (okay--not that at home).

If I am still hungry I can always go to the buffet for soft serve ice cream or pick up a brownie.:)

One thing I really don't get is they have no problem seating people with random strangers for breakfast and lunch in the MDR, so why the set tables and limited YTD for dinner, after all it is already your time breakfast, and lunch?

Just my opinion....but it's probably to keep the tradition of the "formal dinner"...assigned waitstaff, same tablemates etc...that was popular in earlier days and that some people (obviously not as many...) still want

If they did away with that...they could have it like at breakfast & lunch

Great idea!

Archived