Outside seating/deck chairs on Maasdam

Hello HAL Cruisers,

This is my first post so please excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong place or if the answer to my questions can be found in another location. This is our first cruise with HAL. Our only other cruises were with NCL (Alaska and Northern Europe). We're booked for a Southern Caribbean in March on the Maasdam and since we do not have a balcony cabin, I'm wondering how easy it will be to grab a book and find a lounger in the sun. On both NCL cruises there was a very limited amount of loungers by the pool that quickly filled up and all other outdoor seating was in the food areas at tables. I've seen photos of beautiful teak loungers - are these available for all passengers?

Also, we enjoyed the anytime dining on NCL but opted for a late seating on this cruise to try a more traditional cruise experience.We are not sure what to expect. If we are a couple, are we likely to be seated by ourselves? with another couple? a large group? Is there a protocol they use for table seatings? Thanks for your help.

Welcome to CC, the HAL board, and to Holland America cruising.

First off, about the loungers. The teak loungers are on Lower Promenade Deck. Depending on the angle of the sun, there may be sunshine there, but it is covered deck.

There are plenty of loungers around the mid-ship pool, as well as at the aft pool. They are first come, first served as far as availability goes. They are for everyone and anyone. There are people who will leave their marker, then take off never (it seems) to return, but I've heard it's not as big a problem as on some other lines.

About dinner. Since you asked for main seating, you should have been able to request a table size. Both of these are requests, but HAL makes every effort to give you what you ask for. Once set, you have the same tablemates every night, unless someone has chosen an alternate venue that night. It is customary to let your tablemates know when you have other plans for the next night.

Does that help? Feel free to ask any questions, or follow-up questions if what I posted needs clarification.

Hello HAL Cruisers,

This is my first post so please excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong place or if the answer to my questions can be found in another location. This is our first cruise with HAL. Our only other cruises were with NCL (Alaska and Northern Europe). We're booked for a Southern Caribbean in March on the Maasdam and since we do not have a balcony cabin, I'm wondering how easy it will be to grab a book and find a lounger in the sun. On both NCL cruises there was a very limited amount of loungers by the pool that quickly filled up and all other outdoor seating was in the food areas at tables. I've seen photos of beautiful teak loungers - are these available for all passengers?

Generally the only teak loungers are on the promenade deck. There are plenty of loungers available on the deck above the pool. Will not be a problem finding a place in the sun. I've always like being forward near the Crow's Nest - quiet and quick availability for a cool drink.

Also, we enjoyed the anytime dining on NCL but opted for a late seating on this cruise to try a more traditional cruise experience.We are not sure what to expect. If we are a couple, are we likely to be seated by ourselves? with another couple? a large group? Is there a protocol they use for table seatings? Thanks for your help.

Depends on what you asked for - we've usually asked for table for six or eight when we wanted to dine with other folks and have always been accommodated. Tables for two can be iffy.

I'm sure others will weigh in but here's my 2 cents worth.

Those teak loungers are found on the Lower Promenade deck. They can be in sun or shade depending on which side of the ship is sunny, as Lower Prom goes completely around the ship. Most times of the day you can find a vacant chair but not always two together just where you want. Lower Prom is popular. I think the Maasdam has Lanai cabins with sliding glass doors that open onto Lower Prom. The loungers outside those doors are for the cabin occupants only, so it would be bad form to use those.

On the Lido deck there are loungers around the mid-ship and aft pools. Be aware that HAL makes a practice of placing a rolled pool towel on each chair. This is a sign that it is waiting for you, not that someone has dibs on it. Just please be gracious and don't 'reserve' the lounger if you are going to be away for more than 15 or 20 minutes.

In traditional seating in the dining room you will probably be seated at a table for 4, 6, or 8. I think 6 or 8 works best because it allows for more interesting conversation and some rotation of seating. 4 can be iffy if you find you have nothing in common with your tablemates. I think couples are usually seated with couples. Unless specifically requested, you probably won't get a table for two as there are very few of those. You can always talk with the maitre d' if you are not enjoying the table assigned. You'll be unlikely to hurt feelings by choosing to sit elsewhere and enjoyable dinner companions do enhance your cruise experience. On embarkation day your table assignment will be noted on your room key.

I am a non-conformist so prefer to sit in a different chair each evening so I get acquainted with all my dinner companions by rotating among them. Of course that requires you to be among the first at the table. Not everyone is happy about this. Some don't want to give up 'their seat'. It is my feeling that no-one should always get the best or worst view at each meal, (window, blank wall, serving station). Since I have some hearing loss I do prefer to sit where there is less noise behind me which helps me concentrate better on conversation at my table.

I hope my general advice is helpful.

Have a wonderful first HAL cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You will find a lot of regular lounge chairs by the AFT pool -- in the sun.

You have several months before your cruise -- your TA should have requested a certain table size -- i.e. -- a table for 2 -- tables for 4 or 6 or 8. This needs to be taken care of right away.

We've never had a problem getting a lounge chair at aft pool on Maasdam. That is on the list of things HAL really loves on Maasdam. :)

Although, from my experience(s), it can be MUCH more difficult obtaining a lounger by the Lido pool, (especially if you arrive after 9:00 a.m.)! ;) (In which case, it would be advisable to set your alarm, go to the Lido pool & leave a "marker" on a lounger(s) of choice)! ;):):D

Never had a problem getting a chair by the aft pool as others have mentioned. Depending on your mood, it can be fun to hang by the pool on the lido deck with all the activity going on, but the earlier the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived