Westerdam Delux Veranda Suite Questions

Circusboy354

Hi everyone

As anyone who read my last thread on how formal HAL is will know, I have a few questions regarding Dexlux Veranda Suites on the Westerdam.

We are looking at the December 4th sailing and there are good prices for SC - SA cabins.

Ideally we'd much prefer one of the SC or SB's with rear facing balconies, we'd also like as much room as possible. So, my questions,

Is there much difference in interior and balcony size between the rear SB's and the mid ship SB's?

Other than location, is there any difference between SA & SB?

I've read on other threads about the Suite Amenity package, is that included for the Delux Veranda suites, or does this cost extra?

Thanks for your help, I'm very excited about cruising with HAL.

The big benefit of the SA's is proximity to the Neptune Lounge. There are a lot of perks that go with HAL suites, but the Neptune is one of the nicest.

It isn't that the room itself is an awesome, sumptuous space. It's certainly pleasant. But, for me, more that having both the concierge and that coffee/beverage machine close by is great. Also, snack food served is a great thing.

When we were in a SC on a lower deck, we hardly used the Neptune. It just wasn't "convenient", and that went in the minus category.

As for SB's....for whatever reason, they're often priced (with travel agencies, if not with HAL itself) higher than SA's.

Comparing different SB's: the midship ones give slightly more inside space, but the aft ones have those amazing, incredible corner wraps.

Difference between SB and SA? SA's are "brochure" suites - regular, identical spaces that are configured the same. What you see in the brochure is what you get.

Those snaky midship SB's aren't predictable spaces, so aren't configured the same way. The Aft wrap SB's are configured about the same as SA's but you lose inside space, and gain outside space.

You will see that all the SC and SB corner wrap suites have a symbol - open circle - that indicates only 3 people can be accommodated. These cabin are too tight for a pull out full/double bed, so the sofa only folds down to a single.

But, those of us who love the corner wraps REALLY love them. We happily give up a bit of inside space to get the amazing views. And, those "small" cabins still are pretty darn spacious - separate dressing room, bath with separate shower stall, double sinks.

There's a Suite Amenities package for people who aren't in suites to get "suite type" perks, like laundry. There's also a separate package for those who ARE in suites, but...the items offered weren't of interest to us, especially at the price. YMMV.

Hi everyone

As anyone who read my last thread on how formal HAL is will know, I have a few questions regarding Dexlux Veranda Suites on the Westerdam.

We are looking at the December 4th sailing and there are good prices for SC - SA cabins.

Ideally we'd much prefer one of the SC or SB's with rear facing balconies, we'd also like as much room as possible. So, my questions,

Is there much difference in interior and balcony size between the rear SB's and the mid ship SB's?

Other than location, is there any difference between SA & SB?

I've read on other threads about the Suite Amenity package, is that included for the Delux Veranda suites, or does this cost extra?

Thanks for your help, I'm very excited about cruising with HAL.

I can answer you on sizes of SC and SB's:

These sizes are NOT INCLUDING the Verandah/Balconys, just the Interior of the staterooms themselves.

[

Deck 4 SC 4180 & SC 4185 - 324 sq. ft. (Aft Wraparound)

Deck 5 SC 5190 & SC 5191 - 365 sq. ft. (Aft Wraparound)

Deck 6 SC 6164 & SC 6175 - 311 sq. ft. (Aft HC Stateroom)

Deck 6 SC 6166 & SC 6177 - 311 sq. ft. (Aft Wraparound)

Deck 6 SB 6084 SB 6086 & SB 6088 - 393 sq. ft. (Midship Port Side)

Deck 6 SB 6093 SB 6095 & SB 6097 - 393 sq. ft. (Midship Starboard Side)

Deck 7 SB 7088 & SB 7093 - 270 sq. ft. (Bend of Ship)

Deck 7 SB 7142 & SB 7151 - 315 sq. ft. (Aft Wraparound)

Deck 8 SB 8140 & SB 8147 - 300 sq. ft. (Aft Wraparound)

Now, we had SB 7142 on Deck 7 on the Zuiderdam, which is one of the sister ships to Westerdam, and the verandahs are larger on the lowers SC's!! Our verandah was 210 sq ft, so if the Westerdam's Verandah is the same size (should be) the entire stateroom should be 525 sq ft. HOWEVER, our Interior was 380 sq ft, so we had a total of 590 sq ft.

The differences are in the lower you go the larger the staterooms, except for Deck 5's SC 5190 and SC 5191 which are the largest of all.

Deck 4's verandah is barely covered. Deck 5's verandah is 100% covered (great for Alaska. Deck 6, 7 and 8 aft wrap around verandahs are about 1/2 to 3/4 covered.

You can see photos of the Aft Wrap Around Staterooms and use the 4 Vista ships for comparison (Noordam is the only one with Deck 5 not being 100% covered, If I remember correctly.)

The Ships to look at are: Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam and you can click on the link below and go to Deck 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 for each of the ships (go towards the bottom of the pages to see the photos that CC members have sent me to use, along with their descriptions of the stateroom) http://abqreunion2008.com/

Hope this helps

Joanie

Jaonie, so glad you chimed in with "the real story".

As for cabin selection, for December 4 Westerdam, I'm seeing SC guarantees; SB 6084, 6093, 7151, 8140, 8147 and guarantees; and half a dozen SA's in close proximity to the Neptune.

I would not like 6084 or 6093, as people on the midship elevator can see a corner of your balcony.

I'd either pick 7151, or a SA.

I wouldn't pick a SC guarantee, because I wouldn't be keen on most of those SB choices - as shown by an outside travel agency It's possible more SB's are available, just not listed on the outside sites.

I'd prefer to be on Rotterdam deck, same as the Neptune, even if I was all the way down to the stern. Besides - love those corner cabins!

We always take "SA". We don't like aft cabins and the one time we were in one (Princess ship), the cabin was really beautiful but we weren't happy with stern location. Anchor chain and thrusters were annoying at best and we didn't love the wake view. Just our own preferences.......

"SA" are always mid-ship and as stated near Neptune Lounge. DH likes to roam in there throughout the day and he always brings me fresh hot coffee the minute I wake. :) Sure a great way to awaken.

Thanks IRL_Joanie

That's exactly what I was looking for. I've been searching for something like that all day and found nothing.

Fann1sh, I think we're going to grab 7151 before anyone else does, it seems ideal for us. My wife just loves the rear balconies - our very first cruise was a rear balcony on Celecrity Century and although we've had a few mid ship cabins since, nothing beats the rear balcony for us.

CruiserBruce, I thought it strange too that there are so many suites available. But there seem to be quite a few inc both PS with only about 7 weeks left.

Now for my next question, I am going to ask not to be upgraded, however I could be interested in an upsell to one of the PS suites if the price was right, is there a way to let HAL know I'd be open to the upsell without risk being auto upgraded into an SA?

Another question, does the Neptune lounge have sodas or juice, or just coffee?

Thanks for all your help.

Mark.

We had an aft corner on Zuiderdam and loved it! I have to laugh at Patricia's use of quotes around "small." It was by far the largest cabin we have ever had on any cruise. (We don't usually splurge on such a grand cabin) And since there were only two of us, we didn't care if the sofa pulled out into a bed of any size. And oh, that wrap balcony!! Do take a look at Joanie's pictures.

Yes, it's a longer walk to the Nepture from the aft cabins, but for us it was worth it. We were just under a public deck, but had no noise issues. And did not have any noise issues with anchor chains, etc.

Other nice perks that go along with the deluxe suite are breakfast in the Pinnacle or somewhere just for deluxe suite pax. Very nice and quiet. You don't get it the first few days because the extra staff are needed at the Lido. We made use of that every morning it was open. Same menu as MDR breakfast, but peace and quiet. I don't think a lot of passesngers use it. We seemed to see the same couples every morning.

Another perk is unlimited laundry. It really keeps the packing down if you can send out socks, underwear, t-shirts every few days. Some people send out laundry every day.

As for the SC's alongside the glass elevator, our table companions had one of those and didn't mind the elevator. He said they wouldn't be doing anything on the balcony that they didn't mind anyone seeing. :eek:

We were in an SC wrap-around in April and LOVED it!! The stateroom was very nice and the balcony was AMAZING...the largest balcony on the ship. The location of the stateroom did not stop us from using the Neptune Lounge at every opportunity we had.

I have photos of the stateroom and balcony if you would like to see...just let me know.

:) :)

I can answer you on sizes of SC and SB's:

These sizes are NOT INCLUDING the Verandah/Balconys, just the Interior of the staterooms themselves. Deck 4 SC 4180 & SC 4185 - 324 sq. ft. (Aft Wraparound) ...

Hope this helps Joanie

The cruise web sites should only be so helpful! Why don't any of them have this info?

Thank you.

mcferran1 - like you, I check "do not upgrade". As I've mentioned in another thread here, HAL Seattle :rolleyes: once told me that meant I wouldn't be told about upsells. I had them mark my reservation specifically, "interested in upsells".

However, I've since been told that phone rep was dead wrong about "no upgrade" box affecting upsells. HAL Seattle/phone reservations can be very unreliable. Still, I'd have your travel agent note you're interested in upsells on the reservation.

3rdGenCunarder - yes, I can suffer :D with that kind of "small" cabin any day.

Archived